As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Worst Holiday of the Internet [April Fools 2011]

TaramoorTaramoor StorytellerRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
I consider April 1st to be the only holiday that has become substantially more annoying due to the influence of the internet. Countless fake press releases, game trailers, news stories, and other things are released on websites all over the internet on the 1st of April every year just to annoy me personally.

I would like to use this thread as a compendium of sorts, for all the inane psychotic crap that spurts from the bowels of the world wide web this year.

Also there will be cool things both geeky and otherwise, but I expect the majority of the fake announcements and misleading journalisms to be centered in the kingdom of nerd.

For an example of a non-nerd April 1st thing:
Ryanair announces it will offer "Child-Free" flights
Ryanair, the world’s favourite airlines, today announced that it will introduce ‘Child Free’ flights from October (winter schedule) after a Europe-wide survey of 1,000 passengers showed that half would pay higher fares to avoid other people’s children. The survey showed that a third of passengers (36%) have had flights ‘ruined’ by other people’s noisy kids with one in five passengers (18%) urging Ryanair to restrict the number of children on flights.

I don't know if it's real or not, but that's another part of why I wish I could hate this day to death.

C'mon Internet, do your worst!

Taramoor on

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ThinkGeek presents:

The PLAYMOBIL(TM) Apple Store Playset
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/looflirpa/e8bb/?i=front

e8bb_playmobil_apple_store.jpg

Taramoor on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Hah, a couple of years ago my local paper ran a story about the internet running out of room. cut to the IPv4 crisis of 2011...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think the pretense should dropped and the name changed to "Be a Dick on purpose Day!"

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Today is a day for lying

If for some reason you hate lying, I can see why it wouldn't be your favorite day

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    School administration told us via the weekly newsletter that the e-mail system would be shutdown due to the countless amounts of phishing attacks (real). But since they recognized the importance of e-mail, every single e-mail would in the future be printed on paper and put in a stack in the atrium hall. Each student was responsible for taking care of his own stack as to make sure it would not fall over and into other students' stack. Teachers would receive their mail internally via pigeons.

It thought that was pretty funny :P

Yogo on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hulu apparently thinks it's 1995.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zython wrote: »

I just saw that. At first I thought it was a joke based just on the web design but every show they were listing was from that period as well.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Both the YouTube and Hulu thingies are awesome. So is the Playmobil Set ...

I don't know why everybody is hatin on April Fool's ... it these kind of gags that make it worthwile. Otherwise you'd just be subjected to endless <insert lame joke here> stuff from your co workers.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would absolutely pay extra for a child-free flight.

Anyway, I dunno why you would hate april fool's day. As long as you don't forget what day it is, it's a pretty amusing day all the way around.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    The highlight of my morning so far is Rob Brydon doing Ken Bruce's show on Radio 2 as Ken Bruce. At one point he conducted a phone interview with himself doing an impression of Terry Wogan. Also amusing was the moment he asked a contestant on the popmaster quiz 'So, I understand you're a heavy drinker?'.

Bogart on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    If you search for 'Helvetica' on Google, it turns the site into using Comic Sans
    Also does this if you search for Comic Sans

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    If you search for 'Helvetica' on Google, it turns the site into using Comic Sans

Oh god that is incredible :lol:

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    I kind of want a truly insane story to run on someone's front page. "Hitler's brain accidentally transplanted into 80ft killer robot!" or something.

Bogart on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bogart wrote: »
    I kind of want a truly insane story to run on someone's front page. "Hitler's brain accidentally transplanted into 80ft killer robot!" or something.

The best stories are those where you go "wait, really?" for the few seconds it takes you to check the date.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ah, another International Liar's Day come and passed. Please God, let everyone take down the fake bullshit tomorrow instead of letting it sit. I disagree about the "wait, really?" stories as I think those are the worst.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Today there was a news story about the possibility of electoral officials here being able to complete informal votes for people. Everyone thought it was an April Fools, but no.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like april fools day.
    I enjoy the silly jokes.
    I do not find my life sullied or ruined because I cannot immediately verify information as true or not for a few days.

I'm just throwing that out there yknow.
    To preserve the balance.

I don't actually do any jokes though, myself, cos I'm bad at thinking up good ones.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »

I just saw that. At first I thought it was a joke based just on the web design but every show they were listing was from that period as well.

Hulu is winning by far.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kinda small, but steam sigs are showing up with crazy amounts of time spent playing silly games.

Cricket Revolution indeed.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Heh, adblock are advertising magical goggles that will block logos and billboards in real time :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I just noticed this at the bottom of the hulu page

"Our place in the Geocities neighborhood is under construction. Build your own site on Geocities, the best spot for fanpages on the World Wide Web!"

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WankWank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you hate April Fools you hate fun

i still giggle about spaghetti trees

Wank on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    April Fools peaked in the 90s. True fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt8Vzq5zhmM

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Cat wrote: »
    Heh, adblock are advertising magical goggles that will block logos and billboards in real time :P

What they actually do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA8drfZwnXQ

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    See, I love the website jokes like Hulu and such, and the fake products like the AdBlock Goggles...it's the real life ones I can't stand. More like "It's okay that I'm a douche because I said April Fools, man" Day.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    WankWank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gmail Motion is the way of the future

Wank on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »

What they actually do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA8drfZwnXQ

thumbs up Dren dogg.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Woot is being clever. Buy a bag of crap ... if you can get past a certain point in this flash game.

Tamin on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Or you can just go whole-hog

http://www.google.com/landing/csfe/

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    hahaha, 'wingdings in adsense'

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mail readers' heads explode in search for April Fool

Hating April Fools' is really silly. Calling it things like "Liar's Day" is just pathetic. Shame on those people.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    One thing that always disappoints me is that The Onion doesn't turn into a legitimate news source on April Fools' Day

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I woke my wife up to tell her to not use the bathroom this morning because I found a snake in the toilet and that I couldn't get it out.

It worked.

Atomika on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love April Fool's

Also I left a note for my roomate saying the toilet is busted

It is a meta joke- the toilet really IS broken, but I doubt she will believe me

Joke is on her

Arch on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tamin wrote: »
    Woot is being clever. Buy a bag of crap ... if you can get past a certain point in this flash game.

Im on my fourth attempt. I keep getting boxed in. GODDAMN YOU WOOT

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Also, if you search for "Comic Sans", the first result is the "Ban Comic Sans" website. That's not the joke, that's always been there. The joke is it now has the Google "This Site May Be Compromised" warning.

also:
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/jobs/uslocations/mountain-view/autocompleter/index.html

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Hating April Fools' is really silly. Calling it things like "Liar's Day" is just pathetic. Shame on those people.

but it is liar day

It's people who have a thing against liars who are the real pathetics

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

but it is liar day

It's people who have a thing against liars who are the real pathetics

No, it's not. You have to have pretty severe social problems to directly equate jokes and lies.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    April Fool's is the best day of the year.

Sadly I have no pranks prepared this year.

Winky on