As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Rhymes are for Losers you Sales Thread Users.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think Sony wants to be Apple.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How to make your very own Playstation tablet:

1. Get any other android tablet.
    2. Download a PSone emulator.
    3. lolsony.

LewieP on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I think Sony wants to be Apple.

I think everyone wants to be Apple, considering the eleventy thousand tablets that are going to hit the market by the end of the year.

At any rate, wake me up if someone other than Sony ever licenses the PlayStation Suite thing.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    LewieP wrote: »

3. lolsony.

For a second, I wondered if this was really that easy.

Then I remembered that a Playstation 1 emulator ran flawlessly on pretty much everything...seven years ago. By now, we're probably at the point where it'd comfortably run on many older phones.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

3. lolsony.

And no profit!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    People like Warhammer right? I always hear so, I'm not sure if I ever see it a lot though.
    THQ and Games Workshop Announce Multi-Year Extension of Warhammer 40,000 Video Game License Agreement AGOURA HILLS, Calif. & NOTTINGHAM, United Kingdom, Apr 26, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) --

THQ (NASDAQ:THQI) and Games Workshop (LSE:GAW.L) today announced a multi-year extension to their successful video game license agreement, extending THQ's current exclusive rights to publish video games based on the popular Warhammer(R) 40,000(R) universe through titles across all relevant platforms including core, social and mobile rights.

Since entering the licensing agreement with Games Workshop, THQ has published several highly successful titles based on the intellectual property (IP), including the Warhammer(R) 40,000(R): Dawn of War(R) real-time-strategy games for PC systems that have shipped 6.5 million units to date. Two fresh interpretations of the Warhammer 40,000 IP are currently in development by THQ: Warhammer(R) 40,000(R):Space MarineTM- a third-person shooter for the Xbox 360(R) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment system and PC set to release later this year - and Warhammer(R) 40,000(R):Dark MillenniumTM Online, a massively multiplayer online game exploring the deep fiction and myriad races of the IP.

These are great news. Relic has been doing the franchise justice pretty consistently.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Slightly off-topic, but I'm a little fascinated by the tablet market. I wonder how many of them, if any, stand a chance of selling even halfway decently against the violently popular iPad.

My guess would be that between the iPad, several popular Android models with a loooong head start and the lack of, well, anything really different means the PlayStation tablet won't do that great.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    If the android tablet is market anything like android mobile market (and I think it's probably fairly similar), I reckon what we're going to see if a few good but very expensive high end models released to varying success. Then the manufacturers will start to make models not just for the high end, and compete on price, and gradually you'll see the market broaden.

For the first year or two of android phones being around, pretty much all models were high end, but now there are android phones for every budget. The likes of HTC, Samsung and Motorola were all creaming the market, and I reckon that's what they're doing with pricing of stuff like the Motorola Xoom and HTC Flyer now.

Give it a year or two, and there will be loads more android tablets on the market, and the entry price will be much lower. That's when they'll start to take off.

Apple will probably keep on being Apple.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't think it's going to be like the Android phone market at all... last time I checked, there were 80-odd tablets that have hit the market already or have been announced, and it seems like there's more coming every day.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Everyones going ga ga for Zynga:
    Former Microsoft corporate vice president of Live -- and now former EA COO -- John Schappert has left EA and is reportedly heading to the greener pastures of Zynga. A Securities and Exchange Commission filing this morning confirmed Schappert's departure, official as of this past Monday.

A "source close to the matter" told Reuters that Schappert has plans to work at Zynga in some capacity, though his role at the company (if a role even currently exists) has yet to be confirmed. EA confirmed Schappert's departure to us, but declined to offer a comment regarding his decision to leave.

Is it so wrong that I hope it burst like the dot com industry.

Cade on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It probably will. Pretty soon the market will oversaturate and start to die down or in the least balance out.

That being said, may as well make as much money as you can until that happens.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's My Wall Street!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    It probably will. Pretty soon the market will oversaturate and start to die down or in the least balance out.

This.

Who cares if the market bursts after you've made a couple hundred grand/millions off of it?

Turkey on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    FortressCraft

Period Statistics (upto 17th day)
    Price: 240 MS points ($3)
    Trials: 151388
    Purchases: 103208
    Purchase/Trial Ratio: 68.17 %

To put it in perspective, Fortresscraft has already made as much money in 17 days as IMAGWZII (previously the best seller on the service) made in a year.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Former Microsoft corporate vice president of Live -- and now former EA COO -- John Schappert has left EA and is reportedly heading to the greener pastures of Zynga. A Securities and Exchange Commission filing this morning confirmed Schappert's departure, official as of this past Monday.

A "source close to the matter" told Reuters that Schappert has plans to work at Zynga in some capacity, though his role at the company (if a role even currently exists) has yet to be confirmed. EA confirmed Schappert's departure to us, but declined to offer a comment regarding his decision to leave.

Microsoft is raising pay across the board partly to stop bleeding employees to companies like Facebook and Zynga.

The benefit of going to Zynga is that they are a private company that is seemingly going to go public. When they do that a lot of employees are going to make a lot of money.

Especially executives. I'd love to be an executive at Zynga right now. Talk about looking at bags of money coming your way.

AZChristopher on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If the android tablet is market anything like android mobile market (and I think it's probably fairly similar), I reckon what we're going to see if a few good but very expensive high end models released to varying success. Then the manufacturers will start to make models not just for the high end, and compete on price, and gradually you'll see the market broaden.

For the first year or two of android phones being around, pretty much all models were high end, but now there are android phones for every budget. The likes of HTC, Samsung and Motorola were all creaming the market, and I reckon that's what they're doing with pricing of stuff like the Motorola Xoom and HTC Flyer now.

Give it a year or two, and there will be loads more android tablets on the market, and the entry price will be much lower. That's when they'll start to take off.

Actually, the Android tablet market has been backwards. We've had the bottom of the barrel chinese knockoff Android tablets for $100 that have no power or storage whatsoever for quite a while now. Anyone could toss a version of Android on a touch screen device.

Now we are finally getting the $400-600 Android tablets running up-to-date 3.0 software with dual cores and 16-32GB of storage that are actually competing with the iPad.

The curious thing about it all, is why did it take so long? It seems like every manufacturer was toying with the tablet idea, but no one wanted to commit because previously tablets were specialty devices for in-car computing, hospitals, etc. Once Apple showed how popular they could be they still waiting another year before committing anything decent.

My idea tablet just released today, the ASUS Eee Transformer. Tablet with a keyboard dock that makes it a netbook. It's basically the form factor I've wanted since netbooks started to become popular with the Eee 7" and 9". Just now it's years later.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I saw a brand new tablet out there running Android 1.6, which is TWO YEARS out of date and waaaaaay behind on features (there have been a ton released since then).

I know that Google preaches openness and all that garbage, but why the Christ would they let any manufacturer do that?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not their responsibility, I guess, technically?

It's....up to the manufacturer, I guess. Sort of a "hands off" approach.

Honestly, no idea.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Microsoft is raising pay across the board partly to stop bleeding employees to companies like Facebook and Zynga.

The benefit of going to Zynga is that they are a private company that is seemingly going to go public. When they do that a lot of employees are going to make a lot of money.

Especially executives. I'd love to be an executive at Zynga right now. Talk about looking at bags of money coming your way.
    I'd actually be somewhat worried if I were someone holding any kind of piece of Zynga, since their massive, rapid expansion over the past year (and the reported net worth that has been bandied about in the press) has been fueled entirely on investor money. It is entirely unknown how much money Zynga really makes, or if it is even making any at all.

Going public and having to disclose their finances could well kill them if they're not performing up to the insane expectations people would have of them.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011

I'm just rambling here, but am I the only one who thinks the "Zyngalike" games industry is heading towards not just a bubble burst, but a crash?

How many Angry Birds do you really need?

Lolken on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Actually, the Android tablet market has been backwards. We've had the bottom of the barrel chinese knockoff Android tablets for $100 that have no power or storage whatsoever for quite a while now. Anyone could toss a version of Android on a touch screen device.

Now we are finally getting the $400-600 Android tablets running up-to-date 3.0 software with dual cores and 16-32GB of storage that are actually competing with the iPad.

The curious thing about it all, is why did it take so long? It seems like every manufacturer was toying with the tablet idea, but no one wanted to commit because previously tablets were specialty devices for in-car computing, hospitals, etc. Once Apple showed how popular they could be they still waiting another year before committing anything decent.

My idea tablet just released today, the ASUS Eee Transformer. Tablet with a keyboard dock that makes it a netbook. It's basically the form factor I've wanted since netbooks started to become popular with the Eee 7" and 9". Just now it's years later.

Oh yeah, I should have said that. The cheap crappy knock off ones don't really count. I think we'll get decent ones that compete with the ipad, but say half the price, in the next couple of years.

That's the thing about android, google can't really stop anyone making a shitty piece of shit shitty tablet if they want to.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Lolken wrote: »

I'm just rambling here, but am I the only one who thinks the "Zyngalike" games industry is heading towards not just a bubble burst, but a crash?

How many Angry Birds do you really need?

Angry Birds isn't Zyngalike. To be Zyngalike, I'd say the game has to be built from the ground up to milk as many microtransactions as possible from you. Buy virtual pig crap to make your virtual crops grow faster, etc.

At any rate, those types of games seem to be doing fine. Zynga itself? Though the games it's making appear to continue to do well, Zynga itself is growing dizzyingly fast and going bonkers acquiring everything under the sun. I'd be suspicious of any company doing that, even if they had the most awesome business plan in the world.

No, if anything does Zynga in, my guess would be mismanagement.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    FortressCraft

Period Statistics (upto 17th day)
    Price: 240 MS points ($3)
    Trials: 151388
    Purchases: 103208
    Purchase/Trial Ratio: 68.17 %

To put it in perspective, Fortresscraft has already made as much money in 17 days as IMAGWZII (previously the best seller on the service) made in a year.

What are your general thoughts on the whole thing? Are you seeing that it brings more users to the indie channel or are they just picking up fortresscraft due to the success of minecraft?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'd like to think that these are new users that will pick up other XBLIGs, but I haven't seen any positive effect on our sales - both Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII are selling as poorly as they ever had on a day to day basis (about 34 copies a day). Looks like it's just a bunch of people who are curious about Minecraft, but haven't bought Minecraft for whatever reason.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I don't think it's going to be like the Android phone market at all... last time I checked, there were 80-odd tablets that have hit the market already or have been announced, and it seems like there's more coming every day.

The problem with those is the Android faithful were swearing off all of those models because Google told them to. Now Honeycomb is free and out in the wild.

Motorola's Xoom and the Asus EEE Transformer are the beginning of the first wave. I think LewieP's statement is correct, but you have to take now as the first generation, not the previous tablets running Android 2.2 and earlier. Honeycomb is rather solid, but it needs a couple more tweaks to get to Apple's level. But if the Android phone OSes are any indication, they'll get there quickly.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Obsidian hit with layoffs
    According to a tweet from Akil Hooper a producer and designer who has been at the firm 11 years survived seven different round of lay-offs, but sadly not the eighth: ” 11 years, nearly a dozen shipped titles, Designer, Lead, Producer. 1 canceled game, survived 7 layoffs, 8th got me. Not a bad track record.”

A programmer at the firm, Justin Reynard, tweeted: “Today marks my 3 year anniversary working at Obsidian Entertainment. To my coworkers (and sadly the ones we’ve lost) you guys are amazing.”

Another tweet, from QA tester Ashley Betters reads: “No longer work at Obsidian. I guess this means I will have to start buying my own pens.”

According to the forum post on Obsidian which gathered all these tweets, reports that it’s a possibility producer Tess Treadwell and designer Sydney Wolfram as well as three interns have also been laid off as well.

We’ll send a mail and see what we can find out for you.

Cade on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Rumour is that one game was cancelled. It was unannounced.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Wait, they had QA testers?

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Some good Nintendo news.
    As it does after every earnings report, Nintendo sent out a "supplementary" release featuring all of the first-party games that sold a million copies or more in the last fiscal year. One 3DS game made the cut: Nintendogs + Cats, which sold 460,000 units in Japan and 1.25 million in the West. The odds were kind of stacked in favor of this game -- it was released in three different versions, it was the only first-party game at launch, and puppies are cute.

On Wii, Mario Sports Mix made it into the million-seller category, with a worldwide 1.54 million copies. And Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition proved the viability (unfortunately) of selling an SNES game in a $30 box, by shifting 2.24 million units. On DS, Pokémon Black and White are up to a combined 11.51 million units, which, in our professional estimation, is an uncomfortably large number.

Guess the pet crazy isnt' quite dead yet and Pokemon...well, that will still be selling long after we are dead.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    http://kotaku.com/#!5795812/nintendo-worried-people-arent-buying-3ds-magic
    Nintendo's glasses-free 3DS portable gaming system isn't selling as well as the company expected because people don't understand how great the gadget is or how to properly use it, the president of the company theorizes.

Addressing a gathering of analysts in Tokyo this week, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata seemed to place most of the blame for the lackluster sales of the 3DS on people not understanding the magic of the system.

"Nintendo 3DS has not been selling as expected since the second week, and this is not just in the Japanese market but also in the United States and Europe, where no direct impact from the great earthquake has occurred," he said.
    The solution, it seems, is helping people understand the "value" of 3D images seen without the need of special glasses and making sure they know how to use the system correctly. Iwata said providing content in which to experience the 3D images is also a plus.

And it's not just the 3D that people are missing out on, Iwata says. 3DS gamers also don't seem to get StreetPass, SpotPass, Augmented Reality gaming and Mii Maker, he said.

"It is now clear that the combination of these new features is not necessarily easy-to-understand by just saying one word to those without experience," he said. "There seems to be more than a few consumers who have Nintendo 3DS hardware but don't know about this software and possibly haven't had a chance to get interested in it.

"After all, pre-installing a feature which we would like many people to enjoy is not sufficient to make it actually popular among users."

While Iwata says the company needs to push gamers to use and understand all of these new features, he also said that the company needs to be prepared for the roll out of network services to the 3DS in May.

The best way to make sure that gamers go online and check out the eShop is to give something away, he said. So Nintendo plans to give away a free download of Excitebike as one of the "3D Classics" series for a limited time. This, he hopes, will kick start the use of the eShop once it goes live.

"There is," Iwata points out, "no easy road to making people understand the attraction of glassless 3D images and making Nintendo 3DS widespread."

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    helping people understand the "value"
    They are fucked.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I fully understand the value of the 3DS. I just simply can't afford it at $250. Seems like a high cost of entry for a handheld game system, no matter how much "value" there is in the 3D.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/26/report-obsidian-hit-with-redundancies/
    According to a tweet from Akil Hooper a producer and designer who has been at the firm 11 years survived seven different round of lay-offs, but sadly not the eighth: ” 11 years, nearly a dozen shipped titles, Designer, Lead, Producer. 1 canceled game, survived 7 layoffs, 8th got me. Not a bad track record.”

A programmer at the firm, Justin Reynard, tweeted: “Today marks my 3 year anniversary working at Obsidian Entertainment. To my coworkers (and sadly the ones we’ve lost) you guys are amazing.”

Another tweet, from QA tester Ashley Betters reads: “No longer work at Obsidian. I guess this means I will have to start buying my own pens.”

According to the forum post on Obsidian which gathered all these tweets, reports that it’s a possibility producer Tess Treadwell and designer Sydney Wolfram as well as three interns have also been laid off as well.

We’ll send a mail and see what we can find out for you.

Thanks, Bendu.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    They are fucked.

lolNintendo?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    They are fucked.

Isn't that one of the things Sony said when the $599 PS3 didn't sell well? Yikes.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really think its only problem is having been released in the spring without a super compelling AAA game. Guess we'll see by Christmas, I dunno.

And it really is a matter of showing off the system. People are impressed when they try it out for themselves (and it's also easier to show off than a console like PS3).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I prefer to think of this as divine retribution for them choosing to region-lock the 3DS.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    I prefer to think of this as divine retribution for them choosing to region-lock the 3DS.

Yeah, shipping 3.6 million instead of 4, what a punishment.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I can't help but think that they over estimated perhaps the reaction to the 3DS and priced it a bit too much higher thinking they could get away with it a bit more then they are able too.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I can't help but think that they over estimated perhaps the reaction to the 3DS and priced it a bit too much higher thinking they could get away with it a bit more then they are able too.

That and the lack of future hyped games with clear release dates.

In other Nintendo investor relations news, they are still working on the vitality sensor and are planning their first party games around third parties.
    - More talk of Nintendo saying that Project Cafe is a new concept/structure for a console
    - Nintendo feels that gaming is better with buttons, so you won’t see a machine without them

Couscous on