As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Classic Megaman Appreciation Thread

WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood varietyRegistered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
If there's anyone who can be placed in some form of overall top 20 game characters of all time, Megaman is an auto-include. I'd say top 10, but that may be the fanboy talking. This topic is dedicated to the classic series: not the one with the blonde guy with the sword, not that one with all the Legomen, or that one where you plug into the Internet. The one with the classic battle with the eyebrow-wagging Dr Wily.

The rendition of Megaman in Megaman - Powered Up, as Keiji Inafune originally wanted him to look like:
175px-Megamanpoweredup.jpg

The ever-loved nemesis of our Blue Bomber, Albert Wily thankfully didn't know how to quit. I mean, if he did, we wouldn't have sequels.
eyebrows.gif

By far my favorite character in the entire series, we are all familiar by his trademark whistle:
ProtoMan.gif

So! Share experiences, discuss your favorite game out of the 9 (10?) iterations of the series, hypothesize on who will win in a grand melee of all.... 70+ Robot Masters, or whatnot. If you want to, you can discuss the abortion that is the US Megaman series, or the retarded imposter that was seen in Captain N: the game master, whatever floats your boat.

My favorite Robot Masters from each series are:
1 - Cutman.gif Cut Man
2 - Quickman.gif Quick Man <- his stage brings back nightmares, and is some form of initiation rite in gaming.
3 - Shadow.gif Shadow Man <- too bad he gets punked by a lame attack
4 - Drill.gif Drill Man
5 - Gyro.gif Gyro Man <- first of the games that I beat, even though my first Megaman game was Megaman 2
6 - Flameman.gif Flame Man <- he'll burn you in the name of Arab oil!
7 - Burst.gif probably my least favorite set of robot masters, Burst Man is the guy I hate the least
8 - Tengu.gif Tengu Man
Megaman & Bass - Pirateman.gif Pirate Man

It's a sore point that I haven't beaten Megaman 1 ever, since only one guy in my neighborhood had the cart, and I got to borrow it just twice.

Miscellany: http://www.virtualconstructs.com/downloads/megamaneffect.shtml
Gives you the Megaman Effect for every Windows application that you open. Gets repetitive after the first few times though.

Wearingglasses on

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I actually have the megaman effect for my mac. It's neat-o.

And while I'm more of an X fan(and you forgot ZX in your 'not' section!), I've been a wee bit obsessive about Classic lately. I blame having just gotten the album by The Protomen, even if said album is rather old(came out in 2005 or so).

yalborap on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    <3 Mega Man X

I also have fond memories of Mega Mans 3 and 4

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sigh. I wish I could find Powered Up & Maverick Hunter in a store somewhere.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know what? I'm a big Mega Man fan, to the point where I've beaten and loved the classic series, X 1-5, all the Zeros, and you know what?

ZX was good, but not great. And I know that everyone on this board, especially the platformers guys, love it. But I was a little disappointed in it.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Powered up is awesome.

Playing as Robot Masters = Win

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Mikesta wrote:
    You know what? I'm a big Mega Man fan, to the point where I've beaten and loved the classic series, X 1-5, all the Zeros, and you know what?

ZX was good, but not great. And I know that everyone on this board, especially the platformers guys, love it. But I was a little disappointed in it.

I enjoyed it, but I felt the changing aspect was a bit underplayed. I'd like to see something more like Axl's changing in the sequel, able to change into any enemy through some sort of 'scan' method.

yalborap on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Quick Man = tough.
    Turbo Man = the game developers wish you grievious bodily harm.

That is all.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE

dao3vk4.gif

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think I might be a fan.

MegaMan.jpg

I need that damn Game Gear game. The saturn games and psp games aren't pictured due to forgetfulness.

Also ZX was good but Powered Up was the better game last year. Half of me wanted them to continue with the remakes and the other half didn't. Mainly because the remakes were redoing the X series storyline completely.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE

Haven't touched Mega Man Collection in about three weeks because of that.

The one time I got past the entire rocket board part of the Dr. Wily level I was on my last life and promptly fell down a pit while trying to swing from those little knob things.

That shit isn't gettin' put in the Gamecube anytime soon.

shyguy on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I can't find Battle and Chase in there, but if it's there and you've played it, how is it?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    FrostofLifesBaneFrostofLifesBane Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I can totally feel you with the fanboy thing.

I remember being no older than 5 and renting megaman from the local video store. I was so angry because i could not for the life of me beat one of the bosses ( I cannot quite remember which one.) Then, in First grade, i got to talking with my then friend now best friend, and we were exchanging video games. I got megaman 2 and have been addicted since.

I got the megaman collection for gamecube, but it just isnt the same. I am glad i still got my top loading NES i bought at a yard sale, and all the megaman games besides 5.

On somewhat of a side note, anyone listen to the megas? The most amazing megaman band ever? (Closely followed by the protomen)

FrostofLifesBane on
    "..." - Squall
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

-IMGOFAWESOME SNIP-

I need that damn Game Gear game. The saturn games and psp games aren't pictured due to forgetfulness.

Also ZX was good but Powered Up was the better game last year. Half of me wanted them to continue with the remakes and the other half didn't. Mainly because the remakes were redoing the X series storyline completely.

Whoah. You're aytch-coar.

I only have Megaman 2 and Megaman 7. :P

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    mtvcdm wrote:
    I can't find Battle and Chase in there, but if it's there and you've played it, how is it?

It never came out in the US except in the X collection. Its really bad. Quite possibly the worst kart racer I've played. Spring Man is faster then Quick Man in it too which is outright madness.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

MegaMan.jpg

I have Mega Man 5 for my NES with it's Near-Mint box. I recently pulled out the ends of my NES games to put the boxes in storage, so I wouldn't smash them.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007

I remember being no older than 5 and renting megaman from the local video store. I was so angry because i could not for the life of me beat one of the bosses ( I cannot quite remember which one.) Then, in First grade, i got to talking with my then friend now best friend, and we were exchanging video games. I got megaman 2 and have been addicted since.

I got the megaman collection for gamecube, but it just isnt the same. I am glad i still got my top loading NES i bought at a yard sale, and all the megaman games besides 5.

On somewhat of a side note, anyone listen to the megas? The most amazing megaman band ever? (Closely followed by the protomen)

...Dammit, now I need to get their music too. Thanks a lot!

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    mtvcdm wrote:

It never came out in the US except in the X collection. Its really bad. Quite possibly the worst kart racer I've played. Spring Man is faster then Quick Man in it too which is outright madness.
    Perhaps you do not realize how deeply I'm into the racing genre. But then again, I'm the one who asked.

Gosling on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

MegaMan.jpg

I had the Game Gear game. I was like one of three kids I knew that actually bought the Game Gear.

It was overrated, trust me.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    yalborap wrote:

Oh yea dude, they use the actual music from the game to create songs with lyrics about the bosses. It is a saga all about megaman 2. With all the music from megaman 2.

It is fucking Epic.

FrostofLifesBane on
    "..." - Squall
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    yalborap wrote:

Oh yea dude, they use the actual music from the game to create songs with lyrics about the bosses. It is a saga all about megaman 2. With all the music from megaman 2.

It is fucking Epic.

Do they have an album yet? I need it like a junky needs his...What do the kids call it these days....Dope.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I have Mega Man 5 for my NES with it's Near-Mint box. I recently pulled out the ends of my NES games to put the boxes in storage, so I wouldn't smash them.

Oh? Thats great. I wish I still had my boxes for all the older games. I've kept all the GBA ones. I think part of the reason was I was really young and my parents probably threw out the boxes. I should still have a decent set of the instruction manuals for the NES and SNES games.
    I had the Game Gear game. I was like one of three kids I knew that actually bought the Game Gear.

It was overrated, trust me.

Oh I know. I've got an addiction though. I'm going for a complete US set in the games. The only thing I'm not really collecting Mega Man wise is the NT Warrior DVDs as they ruined those so bad. I also have most of the BN and Jazwares toy lines if anyone wants me to put up a pic of those.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    yalborap wrote:

It is fucking Epic.

Goddamn, they're awesome. Their Airman and Metalman songs are epic.

Funny thing, when I first played Megaman 2, I never paid attention to the blue guy in f ront of the cartridge, and when I chose Woodman, I was expecting to get to play the guy made of a tree. And when Megaman beamed down, I went, "WTF? Who the heck is this?"

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    yalborap wrote:

It is fucking Epic.

Do they have an album yet? I need it like a junky needs his...What do the kids call it these days....Dope.

Not yet, but they are recording now. I would suggest checking out thier myspace page. It is only demos now, but the frequently change which songs are up and they are downloadable. Currently i have Metalman, Airman, Flashman, Bubbleman, Dr. Wily (i want to be the one), and end song.

Dr. wily is the dr. wily level theme, obivously, and end song are the credits.

FrostofLifesBane on
    "..." - Squall
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Aroduc wrote:

You are a goddamn psychoh my god it's so cyuuuuuuute

yalborap on
  • Options
    Carol VordermanCarol Vorderman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just want a damn sequel to Megaman Legends 2, damnit.

One of my favorite game series ever.

Carol Vorderman on
    lincolnhi9lg8.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Oh? Thats great. I wish I still had my boxes for all the older games. I've kept all the GBA ones. I think part of the reason was I was really young and my parents probably threw out the boxes. I should still have a decent set of the instruction manuals for the NES and SNES games.

Yeah, I was intelligent enough & had the foresight at the time to keep my boxes. I have at least 75% of the boxes of the games I bought when the NES was still prevalent (Obviously games bought within the last 10 years will be box-less) I also have about 90% of my manuals.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Yeah, I was intelligent enough & had the foresight at the time to keep my boxes. I have at least 75% of the boxes of the games I bought when the NES was still prevalent (Obviously games bought within the last 10 years will be box-less) I also have about 90% of my manuals.

Hmm that is interesting... please write down your address on the back of this napkin... for uh... safe keeping.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    d_b wrote:

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne? Yeah I know it's a prequel, but still.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Mordrack wrote:
    d_b wrote:

It also came out before Legends 2... thus why it had a Legends 2 demo. Still its damn fun. I liked having Servbots steal the tires of police cars to make my robot better. Tron is pretty evil having a torture room for her servents and all.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Mordrack wrote:
    d_b wrote:

It also came out before Legends 2... thus why it had a Legends 2 demo. Still its damn fun. I liked having Servbots steal the tires of police cars to make my robot better. Tron is pretty evil having a torture room for her servents and all.
    But she's so damn cute in a lab coat and glasses.

yalborap on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just wonderin', which stage music is your favorite? Bubble Man's, Metal Man's, and Ring Man's stage music are the most memorable among them, IMO, but the classic NES series has plenty of gems trapped in 8 bit glory.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    To this day, Mega Man X (the original) remains one of my all-time favorite games. I spent years trying to find the last Heart Container and Sub Tank going into the final Sigma battle, but I'd always be JUST short of having enough energy to beat him. Finally blowing that fucker up was a moment eons in the making for me.

[spoiler:1280c673c7]The first time I beat his "lightsaber" form, I immediately let out a "OH, COME THE FUCK ON!" when he then went into his "Giant Killer Robot of Instant Death" form.[/spoiler:1280c673c7]

I have both the Classic and X collections for GameCube; I agree that it's not quite the same, but I don't have a working NES, so it'll have to do.

...Come to think of it, it's high time I add "working NES" to my EBay list, which includes "working Genesis" and "working N64".

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Just wonderin', which stage music is your favorite? Bubble Man's, Metal Man's, and Ring Man's stage music are the most memorable among them, IMO, but the classic NES series has plenty of gems trapped in 8 bit glory.

Metal Man at the top, second place would have to be Plant Man, and Spark Man gets the bronze. (Also recieving votes: Charge Man, Bubble Man.)

The MMX trophy goes to Flame Stag, followed by Storm Eagle and, cheating a bit, the X3 intro stage. (Also recieving votes: Chill Penguin, Sting Chameleon.)

The other series I haven't played.

Gosling on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I love me some classic MM. I remember playing 2 as a lad at my uncle's house. That man was good at those games.

Still, though, I find it very hard to going back to the original series after the more advanced (and, I believe, fun) gameplay in the X series.

Graviija on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The rendition of Megaman in Megaman - Powered Up, as Keiji Inafune originally wanted him to look like:
    175px-Megamanpoweredup.jpg

From the start, I've called bullshit on this, I don't care if Inafune DID say it. A lot of stuff gets said, and there really is NO reason he couldn't have made him look like that from the start.

It's not that I hate the look or anything, I just don't think it was in the right place.
    Mikesta wrote:

I loved ZX the first playthrough. And for the most part, still do. But trying to play through a second time, when I already roughly knew a lot of what needed to be done and where I needed to go, that the proposed shortcomings many had cited hit me like a ton of bricks, especially the map. Somehow it didn't bother me when I was exploring the first time, but the second time... I ultimately got bored with it.
    Pata wrote:
    Powered up is awesome.

Playing as Robot Masters = Win

I did enjoy that, though it felt like they were implemented in such a way as to make Mega Man himself look better.

I hate playing as Guts Man, though, for how badly they fucked him up.
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Quick Man = tough.

That is all.

Two of my favorites. A Robot Master version of The Flash and a TransFormer? <3

Poser.

Your NES games lack boxes. ;P

As Mega Man games go, MHX gets my Game of the Year for last year.
    shyguy wrote:
    JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE

Haven't touched Mega Man Collection in about three weeks because of that.

The one time I got past the entire rocket board part of the Dr. Wily level I was on my last life and promptly fell down a pit while trying to swing from those little knob things.

That shit isn't gettin' put in the Gamecube anytime soon.

I find that once you've mastered the jetbike stage in Mega Man X5, those bits in MM8 are a piece of cake.
    mtvcdm wrote:

Haven't played it, but I hear it was a gimped-out version of Europe's, lacking Duo and vocal translations, if any vocals at all.

...Spring Man is faster than Quick Man? WTF?
    d_b wrote:

Cheap plug.
    yalborap wrote:
    Mordrack wrote:
    d_b wrote:

But she's so damn cute in a lab coat and glasses.

My bright idea was that they make a sequel to that as a prequel to a Legends 3, following Tron and Roll as they work to continue their quest as of the end of MML2, setting up a MML3.

These days, I'm thinking a Wii game could be a good application of the idea.

Oh, and as regards Mega Man Powered Up, I was ultimately let down as a fan by the game. While fun, there is stuff that just felt broken to me, like using Guts Man, and as noted, I'm not sure the art style was really the right direction to go in this specific instance.

Most of all, I hate that almost nothing was added to the story at all. This was their big chance to actually DO something, and they didn't. The most we got, if you could endure the 100 challenges, was a little "what if" insight from Proto Man.

I'd have rather had a MegaMix-style prequel to the X series, myself.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Poser.

Your NES games lack boxes. ;P

Is that a challenge sir? Bring it on. :D

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Quick Man = tough.

That is all.

Two of my favorites. A Robot Master version of The Flash and a TransFormer? <3
    The actual bosses, not so much a problem.
    The stages standing between you and them? Phah. Quick Man just makes you go through the Death Lasers O' Doom, and gives you something to stop time in another stage so it's not completely impossible.

Turbo Man, you get a segment in which you can fall through a pit and have to do three, four screens over again, and again, until you make that jump. And it's not an easy jump. And after you go through more hell than one stage should have, THEN they hit you with the lasers. With no time stopper weapon.

Gosling on
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

MegaMan.jpg

No Marvel v. Capcom 1 and 2? I used to tool my friend at that with Megaman cause he couldn't figure out how to attack me if I sat on one side of the screen and kept tapping the shoot button.

....we both sucked at fighting games back then.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The first one I played was 6 which I think was the best(the jet pack kicks all kinds of ass).

I also picked up the collections, but for PS2 and it felt pretty spot on. I heard the gamecube ones jacked with the controls so I avoided it(megaman's controls were always great). I had a great time with MegaMan and Forte(on the SNES) collecting the CDs(even though I couldn't read them) was all kinds of addicting and something they need to bring back. Though I haven't played a whole lot of the GBA versions.

Also MegaMan 5 for the gameboy sure as hell should have been rereleased on GBA, what was Capcom thinking?

Spectral Swallow on