As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    So decided to go with the octopus (rather than the racist or the aids gasmask) for my first (mostly paragon) playthrough. Also, award for most combat-useless companion split between the gasmask and the alien McClane. Most useful: shark-man and the racist.

Also, I think nicknames are fun.

Wait.

If the no-cheat device choices aren't Lt. Blando and psycho stalker, you made a mistake somewhere. And Gas Mask isn't an option until 2.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TALI CAN'T HAVE A NICKNAME IN ME1 BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T HAVE A PERSONALITY

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Jail Bait, Space Hitler, Carth, Quarian, Badass and Mall Cop

get the nicknames right

The octopus is jailbait? At 100-whatever? Tentacles on the head, play with the sushi, I always say.

Also, I don't know the Carth reference, for some reason I'm thinking big stuffed cat in FF7, but that can't possibly be right. Google says... oh, KOTOR reference. Never played it.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jail Bait, Space Hitler, Carth, Quarian, Badass and Mall Cop

get the nicknames right

The octopus is jailbait? At 100-whatever? Tentacles on the head, play with the sushi, I always say.

Also, I don't know the Carth reference, for some reason I'm thinking big stuffed cat in FF7, but that can't possibly be right. Google says... oh, KOTOR reference. Never played it.

Carth Sith?

OH SHI-

Jazz on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

i was sure "racist" was Tali's nickname and I was confused

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    So decided to go with the octopus (rather than the racist or the aids gasmask) for my first (mostly paragon) playthrough. Also, award for most combat-useless companion split between the gasmask and the alien McClane. Most useful: shark-man and the racist.

Wait.

If the no-cheat device choices aren't Lt. Blando and psycho stalker, you made a mistake somewhere. And Gas Mask isn't an option until 2.

Cheat device? I was talking to octopus head and she goes "i feel something special for you, but aren't you with racist girl?" and I'm like "we're just friends, white hoods look terrible on me" and she's like "don't you want to bone me then?" and I was like "sure, may as well".

Reason I thought gas mask is an option is because of all the threads and people obsessing with her. So far all my conversations with her have been "let me give you an information dump about my gypsy fleet and the matrix terminators we made", so I assumed it came later.

-Tal wrote: »

i was sure "racist" was Tali's nickname and I was confused

I meant the human girl you meet in first mission. My first on-ship conversation with her was about how much aliens suck and humans are the awesome sauce.

Also, did I just see something earlier in the thread about there being no Mako planet exploration in ME2? That's one of my favorite parts of the game!

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Wait.

Cheat device? I was talking to octopus head and she goes "i feel something special for you, but aren't you with racist girl?" and I'm like "we're just friends, white hoods look terrible on me" and she's like "don't you want to bone me then?" and I was like "sure, may as well".

Reason I thought gas mask is an option is because of all the threads and people obsessing with her. So far all my conversations with her have been "let me give you an information dump about my gypsy fleet and the matrix terminators we made", so I assumed it came later.

Gas Mask is an option in 2.

And a little messing with the command line lets you play for the other team, all dialog enabled.

And the thing was a suggestion that, if you haven't tried it yet, a Jennifer Hale voiced run is generally considered worth your while.

(And Tali is way more racist than Ash. Ashley just figures humanity should do some looking out for numero uno when making plans regarding the universe, since the council will screw humans over if the need arises in a heartbeat. Tali advocates genocide on a sapient race.)

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Wait.

Gas Mask is an option in 2.

And a little messing with the command line lets you play for the other team, all dialog enabled.

And the thing was a suggestion that, if you haven't tried it yet, a Jennifer Hale voiced run is generally considered worth your while.
    Jennifer Hale is the female Shepard? Yeah I always do at least two playthroughs of Bioware games, that's next after this run.

By sapient race, do you mean the matrix terminators?

Also, at the rate humans are going in this setting (minus whatever events it is that the game seems to be hinting at are coming and that I have spoiled for myself on top of that bits and pieces off by hanging out here) they'll be dominating the Milky Way within the next 200 years.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I know it's a quote from last thread, but...
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I dunno, I found Kaiden to be an unbearable weenie in ME1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEJuTj_0tfU

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jazz wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    No, I'm like 90% sure that there was a steelbook PC edition too

360 ME1 CE isn't steelbook. It's essentially a tin with a cardbook in it holding the game disc and CE bonus disc (almost exactly the same setup as Gears 1, actually - both Microsoft-published, whereas EA published ME1 on PC), plus the manual and the two CE-exclusive books. If there is a PC version I've never seen it, but I'll happily be proven wrong.

Yeah, I was really dissapointed. The carboard cover should have been a metal tin cover, would have been so much cooler.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I dunno, I found Kaiden to be an unbearable weenie in ME1. I think I spoke to him twice, total.

Yeah, then you should have talked to him more. Then you would have found out...
    ...that to avoid getting shanked by the Turian merc teaching BAaT, he snapped the guy's neck with a biotic-boosted kick. I wouldn't mind seeing that as a bonus power you could score off of him for Shep's own use.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I dunno, I found Kaiden to be an unbearable weenie in ME1. I think I spoke to him twice, total.

...that to avoid getting shanked by the Turian merc teaching BAaT, he snapped the guy's neck with a biotic-boosted kick. I wouldn't mind seeing that as a bonus power you could score off of him for Shep's own use.
    And then he resolved to always be more careful and was sad because it scared a girl. You can be forgiven for not doing awesome things, but to do them and regret them? Not cool.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just Warp Bomb'd a YMIR Mech.

Nothing better.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

360 ME1 CE isn't steelbook. It's essentially a tin with a cardbook in it holding the game disc and CE bonus disc (almost exactly the same setup as Gears 1, actually - both Microsoft-published, whereas EA published ME1 on PC), plus the manual and the two CE-exclusive books. If there is a PC version I've never seen it, but I'll happily be proven wrong.

Yeah, I was really dissapointed. The carboard cover should have been a metal tin cover, would have been so much cooler.

I guess they felt a steelbook inside a metal tin would've been overkill. Still, the plastic outer sleeve for the whole thing is more resilient than the card outer sleeve ME2 CE got.

It's just that Carth's delivery kind of makes it sound as big and consequential a moment as blowing his nose.

Jazz on
  • Options
    BerkshireBerkshire Earth Federal Forces MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, I have a shame to admit, my friends. I'm on my third playthrough of Mass Effect and I just got to Feros. I never managed to complete the little sub-missions that Zhu's Hope gives you (food, water, power, geth in the tunnels) on my first two playthroughs because...I never found the door that leads to the lower tunnels. To be fair, I never bothered to look that hard, but...seriously. So I'm wondering if, now that I've completed those tasks, if I save the colony, will that make any difference?

The problem is, I'm played Joan Shepard, the patron saint of vengeance. She's like Batman, the Boondock Saints, and Rorschach rolled into one pissed off Sole Survivor (she's not gonna be pleased about working for TIM). She's all about kicking the asses that deserved to be kicked and less concerned about collateral damage.

Should I try to find a sympathetic part of her and have her try to save those colonists, or shoot her way out of Zhu's Hope regardless of the consequences? (Jeong is totally getting capped either way)

TL;DR- Does performing the Zhu's Hope sub-missions (water, food, power, tunnel geth) make any difference vis a vis the long-term story of the colony if I let them live?

Berkshire on
    "And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Here's what the wiki says on the matter:
    If Jeong is sympathetic and even one colonist survives or one quest in the tunnels was completed, the colony will survive and thrive. If Jeong dies but Shiala lives, eight living colonists (or four living colonists and all four completed sidequests, or five and three, etc) are necessary for the colony's survival.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I guess they felt a steelbook inside a metal tin would've been overkill. Still, the plastic outer sleeve for the whole thing is more resilient than the card outer sleeve ME2 CE got.

It's just that Carth's delivery kind of makes it sound as big and consequential a moment as blowing his nose.

because to him it's all ancient history and Shepard is acting like an intrusive wannabe therapist

there's even a line where Shepard goes "OH I SEE you felt bad about scaring Rhana which made you repress your true feelings" and Kaidan's just like "uh ok right commander"

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ugh, so is there a guide or a mod I should be using to change what weapons a class has access to? :?

I really really want to play a vanguard with a revenant.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The N7 missions were so much better than ME1's exploration I can't even stand it, but accessing them was too tedious. Many of them were very relevant to the ongoing story. Mix those with Hackett/news stories/other missions telling you about them.

pretty much this, only more N7 missions need a bit of driving and MOAR SKYBOXES

seriously 99% of the appeal of bouncing around in the mako in ME1 was the gorgeous skyboxes. very, VERY few in ME2 compare. overlord didn't come close.

Well I'd say not only more N7 missions. First, FAR more and bigger areas for side missions, make them worth something; This would compliment the deeper RPG experience, e.g. doing a few side missions to buy add-ons for your weapons, or getting skill points for the skill trees. Also, Hopefully classes will play a bit more differently then they did in ME2. I don't want the standart tank/healer/DPS roles or anything, just a bit of difference on how to combat enemies for multiple classes and squadmates. Having the option to use Grunt as a meat-shield was there in ME2, but he still went down almost as fast as me. Another thing is regenerative health. If they slowed it down, medigel would be more useful - I found myself barely using it in ME2. The same goes for Heavy weapons but for different reasons: Ammo scrounging. I heard other players besides me rarely or never used Heavy Weapons in order to always be prepared. Purchasable Heavy Weapon ammo would be a nice addition.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've always been a big PC gamer so don't take offense to my whole superior version thing haha.

I hope to not open any floodgates by requesting this, but there was this adorable fanart of Grunt playing
    with a toy dinosaur. Would anyone happen to have that?

1300983404866.jpg

we only post adorable fanart in this thread

you hearin this dox

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I liked the N7 missions that led on to others like the virus affecting the mechs that you track down over a few missions or the Blue Suns missions where you eventually destroyed their base and stopped further ambushes. Not so much the small one off mission like saving the quarian from the Varren (is that even possible on insanity) or fighting Geth in a Blizzard.

The main thing that bugged me about the N7 missions is how little dialogue there was. In the ME1 side-missions Shepard and his squadmates said things pretty regularly but for most of the ME2 ones very little is said by anyone and it makes the missions feel very strange.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I never used heavy weapons even after I memorized every mission because, other than the Cain, they just aren't very useful

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I never used heavy weapons even after I memorized every mission because, other than the Cain, they just aren't very useful

The Arc projector is actually incredibly useful. It's a wonderful anti-husk device.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

kevinspaceywronnnng.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBVsk8hcTVE

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

because to him it's all ancient history and Shepard is acting like an intrusive wannabe therapist

there's even a line where Shepard goes "OH I SEE you felt bad about scaring Rhana which made you repress your true feelings" and Kaidan's just like "uh ok right commander"

if it's apparently the only thing he mentioned about his past it wouldn't hurt to put a bit more passion into it

compare to mordin- time in STG, work in omega, contrasts shady genophage work with more altrustic hospital work. highs and lows. passionate love of life, pride in excellent work clashes with nightmarish results and ethical quandaries. kaiden much more... one-note. not so well defined. motivations unclear.

Nuzak on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not now, Commander, I have a headache.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    sooo did anyone else think arrival sorta "broke" the me story so far?
    ignoring the minor plot holes for a second .. if the reapers can simply FTL into the milky way, what was the point of me1 and me2. Furthermore, from me3 previews we know that the reapers have husked several other races. It's not a stretch to assume that there are loads of reaper relics about indoctrinating people. The collectors are basically irrelevant as the reapers can apparently easily create new foot soldiers.

why is this all so poorly constructed/explained?!

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nuzak wrote: »

if it's apparently the only thing he mentioned about his past it wouldn't hurt to put a bit more passion into it

compare to mordin- time in STG, work in omega, contrasts shady genophage work with more altrustic hospital work. highs and lows. passionate love of life, pride in excellent work clashes with nightmarish results and ethical quandaries. kaiden much more... one-note. not so well defined. motivations unclear.

Yeah...but you know, maybe it just isn't that important to him. Not everyone has to become a puddle of emotion before Shepard.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    evilthecat wrote: »
    ignoring the minor plot holes for a second .. if the reapers can simply FTL into the milky way, what was the point of me1 and me2. Furthermore, from me3 previews we know that the reapers have husked several other races. It's not a stretch to assume that there are loads of reaper relics about indoctrinating people. The collectors are basically irrelevant as the reapers can apparently easily create new foot soldiers.

The galaxy is big: FTL drives are only used for getting around systems; relays are for zipping around the galaxy. ME1 was to prevent the reapers from accessing the citadel, where they could have knocked out a lot of government and military forces, and then carved up the rest of the galaxy at their leisure. The collectors were producing a new reaper, not husks. Even the geth can make husks. Why the reapers have the collectors make reapers, how they made reapers before turning protheans into the collectors, or if they can make reapers themselves, I don't think has been made clear.

Auberon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »

Yeah...but you know, maybe it just isn't that important to him.

i'm not saying he should be heartbroken over it or something. but he doesn't have a lot to him besides the biotic training camp story

if he doesn't care about that, fine, what does he care about

ANSWER ME DAMNIT STOP MOPPING YOUR BROW

Nuzak on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

1) It was explained in ME1 that the Reapers' arrival was an inevitability. But that by using the Citadel backdoor they make the process much more efficient.

2) After spending two games attempting to do it the 'proper' way, even a race of omnipotent robot devils would say 'fuck it, we're going five blades' and just toot toot their way over here like normal.

It makes the resistance more likely, because the head hasn't been cut off, there is no surprise element, and more knowledge has been gleamed about them. But considering the attitude of Sovereign and Harbinger, we can infer that supreme arrogance is their defining character trait.

First, the Protheans uncover the truth, and their dying act is to provide the next 'generation' of sentient races with the clues to uncover it in time to not die. Which happened in ME1. Then, in ME2, Shepard prevents the Collectors from building a replacement for Sovereign that would enable them to activate the Citadel relay again. Thus leaving the Reapers with only one option, entering the galaxy in the normal manner.

The relay in the Arrival DLC was probably just one of many possible entry points, so just like the previous two games, all of our actions thusfar have been a delay. Buying more time to - presumably - either create a united front of all sentient races or uncover a MacGuffin which will win the war.

It's a pretty coherent set of events as long as you get out of the mindset that the story of Me1 and Me2 was to 'win', as with most RPG narratives . It was a delay. Everything so far has been a delay, and the Reaper invasion has always been written as an inevitability.

Their goal, and the reason for the previous two games, has been to do it in an efficient manner, destroying the council, taking over the citadel and leaving everyone in disarray. Perhaps, thanks to the efforts of Shepard in Me1 and Me2, their invasion can be delayed further by the races of the galaxy banding together, with more information and no element of surprise, allowing Shepard to find the Ark of The Covenant or whatever it turns out to be that will turn the tide.

It took an entire fleet to destroy Sovereign in Me1. And as sidemissions have shown, Reapers are not indestrucable. All it requires is a lot of resources. Which we have.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Auberon wrote: »

The galaxy is big: FTL drives are only used for getting around systems; relays are for zipping around the galaxy. ME1 was to prevent the reapers from accessing the citadel, where they could have knocked out a lot of government and military forces, and then carved up the rest of the galaxy at their leisure. The collectors were producing a new reaper, not husks. Even the geth can make husks. Why the reapers have the collectors make reapers, how they made reapers before turning protheans into the collectors, or if they can make reapers themselves, I don't think has been made clear.
    you .. don't seem to have read what I wrote.
    The reapers can still take out the citadel, as they've simply FTL'ed to the milkyway over the course of 2 years instead of being reverse-mass-relay'ed there by the citadel. Your efforts in me1 were for naught.
    The reaper in me2 makes even less sense now. Imo it was originally being built to go retake the citadel, but the reaper fleet was imminently arriving anyway. I ask myself what was the point of all of this.
    My husk statement refers to the fact that the reapers need some sort of foot solder/manual labour to load organics into goo pods. The collectors are dead but who cares, they have relics all over the place and can simply churn out husks.

I suppose me1 isn't broken as much by arrival as me2 is.

@scarab:

I can appreciate the delaying tactics but as I've said, considering the reapers were going to arrive earlier that the collector's could build the replacement sov., what was the point of that exercise. And still, there's nothing stopping them from FTLing from the atlas system to the citadel. The council still doesn't believe shepard about the reapers, it's not like they're going to react in a timely manner to a huge reaper ball.

evilthecat on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Auberon wrote: »

you .. don't seem to have read what I wrote.
    The reapers can still take out the citadel, as they've simply FTL'ed to the milkyway over the course of 2 years instead of being reverse-mass-relay'ed there by the citadel. Your efforts in me1 were for naught.
    The reaper in me2 makes even less sense now. Imo it was originally being built to go retake the citadel, but the reaper fleet was imminently arriving anyway. I ask myself what was the point of all of this.
    My husk statement refers to the fact that the reapers need some sort of foot solder/manual labour to load organics into goo pods. The collectors are dead but who cares, they have relics all over the place and can simply churn out husks.

I suppose me1 isn't broken as much by arrival as me2 is.

Look at what Scarab wrote.

You were never meant to stop the Reapers in ME1 or ME2.

As for the Collectors it was a matter of convenience/logistics. You don't need to come out and do things yourself if you've got a slave race to do it for you.

The same with the Geth in ME1 and the Keepers before they got reprogrammed by evolution. And from what's been suggested, the Rachni during the Rachni wars.

You were just delaying their Arrival.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

We don't know exactly how other races are getting husked yet, that will (I'm assuming) be explained in ME3. I think the Collectors were prioritizing the liquidation of human DNA to power the Terminator Reaper, they seem to utilize husks for low level "zerg rush" security. The Reapers, in turn, were utilizing the Collectors to build one of their own from the ground up to get a jump start on the apocalypse.

I'll have to play Arrival again, but my understanding was that the Reapers had to jump from dark space via a mass relay. The Reaper relic may not have been sending out those "conduit" pulses until the research team brought the relic within proximity of the relay. I don't recall the Reapers being able to simply FTL into our systems.

...or maybe I'm just a ME fanboy apologist. In Bioware We Trust.

EDIT: everyone beat me to my own argument.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Don't forget plot time with The Arrival. Technically speaking it is 'supposed' to happen after the sucide mission.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Don't forget plot time with The Arrival. Technically speaking it is 'supposed' to happen after the sucide mission.

says who?
    it's available after horizon.
    and even if you do it after me2's end, the reapers will still be arriving in the milky way before the human reaper can be completed.
    it's a bit of a mess up, i think.

evilthecat on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The reason the DLC is available after Horizon instead of you having to wait until the end of the game is probably more of a convenience thing so people don't have to wait all the way til the end to play it.

Also, we have no idea how long it takes for a Reaper to be completed or how close it was too completion so we can't say either way for sure.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well...there is also the matter of how plot points and characters are addressed by the Cerberus News Network. And those are all dated.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah...like I said. One has to be aware of meta-reasons as to why stuff happens too.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

says who?
    it's available after horizon.
    and even if you do it after me2's end, the reapers will still be arriving in the milky way before the human reaper can be completed.
    it's a bit of a mess up, i think.

Except they never give you a time period before and after it happens. So...yeah. Maybe days, maybe weeks, maybe months. We don't know.

I'm ok with that, since the alternative is "ok, now fast forward 3 years and somehow everything and everyone is the same."

Orca on