Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The combined fleet of every race in a final pitched battle to retake Earth and destroy the Reapers is probably going to be one of the best gaming moments ever.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    actually every ending has the galactic fleet brutally slaugtered under the unstoppable might of the reaper horde

thanks for playing

please exit through the gift shop

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    joshgotro wrote: »
    How long would it take to bring ME up to ME2 standards?

They'd pretty much have to put ME1 into the ME2 engine.

Then you have to take into account the physics in ME2 don't work like the physics in ME1.

To which is probably isn't worth the effort.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    How long would it take to bring ME up to ME2 standards?

They'd pretty much have to put ME1 into the ME2 engine.

Then you have to take into account the physics in ME2 don't work like the physics in ME1.

To which is probably isn't worth the effort.

I'd buy a trilogy pack.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ME1 just wouldn't have the same charm without the broken combat

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    -Tal wrote: »
    actually every ending has the galactic fleet brutally slaugtered under the unstoppable might of the reaper horde

thanks for playing

You're just depressed Cerberus sent you a Dear Jane letter. It's alright, it happens to the best of us.

Only it hurts less when you've been planning to murder them all on a petty personal vendetta the whole time.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I refuse to believe it is the same Cerberus. TIM's whole MO is letting Shepard do whatever she wants, because Shepard is always right.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also why waste resources on a remake when you could spend it on ME3?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

thanks for playing

Well, that would only happen if we didn't have a handy Reaper killing MacGuffin... speaking of which, what do we think that MacGuffin will be? something already established like the crypts of light? Or something new entirely?

Also, what about dark energy? They dropped like a million hints about its importance in ME2, so what role will it play in ME3?

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The rapid star aging might be a way the heretics or reapers make eezo, since it comes from matter affected by supernovas. My MacGuffin bet's still on the Leviathan, since Arrival made it clear Batarians will be important in ME3.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    End boss battle will be a debate.

Shepard will win by using compelling body language, such as the decisive fist in palm, double hand sweep, and the devastating step forward with accusatory finger pointing.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Torso Boy wrote: »

Shepard will win by using compelling body language, such as the decisive fist in palm, double hand sweep, and the devastating step forward with accusatory finger pointing.

If you saved the Turian Councillor, he will give you the "Air quotes" loyalty power.

The Reapers will die of sarcasm.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

If you saved the Turian Councillor, he will give you the "Air quotes" loyalty power.

The Reapers will die from disingenuous assertions.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, Arrival
    is further evidence of what a bad idea giving Cerberus the base is. Know what they're doing, indeed.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The rapid star aging might be a way the heretics or reapers make eezo, since it comes from matter affected by supernovas. My MacGuffin bet's still on the Leviathan, since Arrival made it clear Batarians will be important in ME3.

Yeah, the Leviathan is a likely MacGuffin candidate. If it does come down to the Leviathan, then I'm guessing Shepard, and co, will have to infiltrate Batarian space, and then either broker a truce with the Batarians, or kill them all and take the Leviathan.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It all fits in with the fact that the only way to play ME3 is with a kinect.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also why waste resources on a remake when you could spend it on ME3?

This is the only acceptable reason.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ad astra wrote: »

Yeah, the Leviathan is a likely MacGuffin candidate. If it does come down to the Leviathan, then I'm guessing Shepard, and co, will have to infiltrate Batarian space, and then either broker a truce with the Batarians, or kill them all and take the Leviathan.

I was thinking the choices would be more quickly glass the planet from orbit or spend the time to strangle every one with your bare hands.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

thanks for playing

Well, that would only happen if we didn't have a handy Reaper killing MacGuffin... speaking of which, what do we think that MacGuffin will be? something already established like the crypts of light? Or something new entirely?

Portal to another galaxy, another habitable world where the survivors can flee.

It's a bleak ending, sure, but it sets up Mass Effect 4-6.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    After all the trouble Ilos caused, there's no way the reapers will let another haven slip by.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ME3 is the end of Shepard's story.

The universe, however, is wide open for more awesome games.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Orca wrote: »

See they say that but I think it would be madness to not have Shep in Me4.

He has cache. Is incredibly popular. And integrally tied to the Mass Effect IP.

It would be Raiden all over again.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »

thanks for playing

I know they'd never make one, but a total failure ending could be kinda cool, this is the way I picture it.

Every world is burning, the fleets of every race are in ruins, and all of Shepard's allies are dead. Shepard tells E.D.I to pilot the Normandy as far away as she can to tiny a uncharted world, and then...

Shepard: "E.D.I, record this message. My name is Commander Shepard, at the time of recording, I am, as far as I know, the last of my race. We, and the rest of the galaxy were wiped out by a race of machines known as the Reapers. I leave this message, for those who come after us, so that you might have a fighting chance. You can defeat the Reapers, you can survive, but to defeat them, you'll have to understand them, otherwise you'll make the same mistakes we did...."

Ad astra on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Unless they lie outright about Shepard being the protagonist right until the embargo'd launch, replacing all footage of the actual protagonist with Shepard, and that his replacement isn't abruptly introduced a fourth through the game as an effeminate blonde mop top wearing skin-tight latex...

And then the rest the game takes place on an Element Zero cleanup station off the coast of Manhattan. And at some point, a former US President gropes you.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

thanks for playing

I know they'd never make one, but a total failure ending could be kinda cool, this is the way I picture it.

Every world is burning, the fleets of every race are in ruins, and all of Shepard's allies are dead. Shepard tells E.D.I to pilot the Normandy as far away as she can to tiny a uncharted world, and then...

Shepard: "E.D.I, record this message. My name is Commander Shepard, at the time of recording, I am, as far as I know, this last of my race. We, and the rest of the galaxy were wiped out by a race of machines known as the Reapers. I leave this message, for those who come after us, so that you might have a fighting chance. You can defeat the Reapers, you can survive, but to defeat them, you'll have to understand them, otherwise you'll make the same mistakes we did...."

Well you could fail ME2 so I can't see why you couldn't in ME3 especially since they don't need the choices to follow into another game.
    And your idea is cool and I want a good escuse to do a ME3 failshep run.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

It would be the WORST idea to have Shep in ME4.

ME3, supposedly, they're pulling out all the stops for how you change the world. More importantly, this includes all sorts of changes to how the universe views Shepard.

Is she the biggest bitch in the galaxy? A candidate for sainthood? The only alien respected on Tuchanka? The ass who got Wrex killed?

Working around it will be bad enough without bringing her back in the spotlight.

And yes. Ad Astra's idea is great.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Shepard: "E.D.I, record this message. My name is Commander Shepard, at the time of recording, I am, as far as I know, the last of my race. We, and the rest of the galaxy were wiped out by a race of machines known as the Reapers. I leave this message, for those who come after us, so that you might have a fighting chance. You can defeat the Reapers, you can survive, but to defeat them, you'll have to understand them, otherwise you'll make the same mistakes we did...."

Ah yes, the vivid fantasies of your Matriarch Shepard's writings. We have dismissed that claim.
    [strike]50,000[/strike] 0 years without a Reaper invasion

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hope they take the opportunity post-ME3 to explore more of the more mundane and less grand aspects of the setting.

A lot of the setting seems really cool, but you never get to see it because it's not awesome enough for Shepard to sucker punch in the face with his or her protagonist super powers.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

thanks for playing

They said in the GI article that there are multiple endings

some good and some bad

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Combat in Mass Effect is only annoying if you ramp the difficulty up, then you're playing wack a mole with dozens of immunity using soldiers that take ages to die while screaming I WILL DESTROY YOU! ENEMIES EVERYWHERE! GO GO GO!

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Pancake wrote: »
    I hope they take the opportunity post-ME3 to explore more of the more mundane and less grand aspects of the setting.

A lot of the setting seems really cool, but you never get to see it because it's not awesome enough for Shepard to sucker punch in the face with his or her protagonist super powers.

A lot of people hated DA2 for trying to do this. Maybe in the anime!

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

it was mishandled, but the idea was solid

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Executed right, it can work well. The trick is figuring out what "right" is...because the game industry is still in its age of legends.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Nuzak wrote: »

I actually liked DA2 a lot, even more than ME2. But the overall response was more negative, so I don't know if Bioware would pull it again.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hate to potentially retread a previously mentioned issue, but does ME2 have a save file creator a la the one that came out for DA:O shortly after DA2 came out? My extensive ME1 Shep collection is sitting over on my 360 where my DA2 freebie ME2 can't get to it.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I actually liked DA2 a lot, even more than ME2. But the overall response was more negative, so I don't know if Bioware would pull it again.

The general complaint was also not that the not-epic story was mishandled, but that it wasn't epic, as if that's bad in itself.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

The general complaint was also not that the not-epic story was mishandled, but that it wasn't epic, as if that's bad in itself.

It is bad because BioWare can't write the mundane. Dragon Age 2 has more filler content than Mass Effect 1 to fill in the gaps between its main plot. And not only is this side content repetitive, but the main plot falls flat and is horribly disconnected.

As I said, Mass Effect is so fun because Shepard facilitates awesome. I'm sure there are people out there who give a fuck about Citadel politics and the specific trade negotiations between the Batarian hegemony and the Hanar. Or whatever. 95% of people don't, and trying to 'flesh out' a universe in that manner would alienate a lot of fans. Which is exactly what has happened with Dragon Age.

Just as there's nothing wrong with non-epic stories, there's nothing wrong with actually epic stories. And unless you get the tone just right, the former is going to divide the audience. Pulling a DA2 with Mass Effect would be shitty.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    How are you going to do another awesome epic story of the same kind when they've just wrapped up one involving an unfathomably old galaxy ending threat starring monotone the space super hero?

Introduce another one? They pretty much have to go at least a little more mundane.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, are there any actual quality scans of the GI article yet? I want to read it and see the pics damnit. Stopped in my gamestop today and they didn't have it yet.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png