As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The only mask anyone needs is the Vanderloo mask

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I kind of like the Scimitar. Especially against Captain Wasea and their mooks. It just felt so right.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I kind of like the Scimitar. Especially against Captain Wasea and their mooks. It just felt so right.

I definitely can see a liking for it.

It just belches fire perpetually. But it doesn't quite get the kill fast enough without a massive ammo expenditure.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think the only problem I had with the Scimitar was its range...like you have to be right on people.

Not to mention it doesn't get a damage bonus against armor. That annoys me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I never used anything but the GPS on my vanguards. Woops!

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, that shotgun is just stupid good. The difference it makes to shotgun wielding allies like Tali and Jacob is pretty damn silly as well.

...Jacob has a loyalty and a story mission okay?! It's not like I took him with me anywhere by choice!

Daris on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    GPS is great for allies, makes them worth taking along again

but the king of all vanguard shotguns is the claymore

it puts out such enormous amounts of damage you can go toe-to-toe with pretty much anything you charge and win.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    is it possible to use the reload trick without immediately firing off another round? if I need multiple shots (pretty big if) I can definitely do that, but I have a hell of a time getting used to knowing whether or not I've got a round ready to go

it drives me nuts that they balanced this gun

no soldier or infiltrator has ever wondered if it's "worth" taking the revenant or widow

Elendil on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People argue about the Revanant and Widow all the time.

Revanant because its lack of long range and Widow because its overkill.

Honestly, the only thing that bothers me about the Claymore is its lack of range.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    People argue about the Revanant and Widow all the time.

Revanant because its lack of long range and Widow because its overkill.

Honestly, the only thing that bothers me about the Claymore is its lack of range.
    Bah! If you're having trouble hitting with the Revenant, move in closer, switch to the Viper, or burst fire. The inaccuracy is hardly even worth mentioning as a flaw. The problem with the Widow, of course, is that it's too good.

Neither is anywhere near "severely handicapped when fighting multiple targets" i.e. 90% of the time.

Elendil on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The only reason people argue about the Revenant sorta kinda is because the Mattock is ridiculous already. Similarly, the only reason not to get the Widow is to use either the GPS with Cloak or the Mattock because the Locust doesn't do it for you.

Basically, the weapon pack stuff is imba.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Shen wrote: »
    The only reason people argue about the Revenant sorta kinda iss because the Mattock is ridiculous already. Similarly, the only reason not to get the Widow is to use either the GPS with Cloak or the Mattock because the Locust doesn't do it for you.

Yeah, the Mattock is straight up broken. The Revenant easily trounces the rest of the ARs. Non-standard infiltrators might want something besides the Widow, but I guarantee no one feels like they've actually reduced their effectiveness by bringing it along.

The Claymore is easily the worst of the three upgrades, and it really does take a lot of player skill just to compensate for the gun's problems.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The only reason people argue about the Revenant sorta kinda is because the Mattock is ridiculous already. Similarly, the only reason not to get the Widow is to use either the GPS with Cloak or the Mattock because the Locust doesn't do it for you.

No, people argued about them before the Firepower pack was even released.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

No, people argued about them before the Firepower pack was even released.

Yeah but they were crazy

Wasn't it Curly who insisted on the Collector Rifle and the Scimitar

CRAZY

(okay the Vindicator is pretty great too but other than that)

Shen on
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also...who would use the GPS or Mattock with the cloak?

You still get a faster DPS with the widow in comparison to the GPS and you're only going to get off like one shot with the Mattock before your cloak dissipates.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The GPS can hit 3 targets

I mean some people just run around meleeing things to death while cloaked, I guess it complements that playstyle

Didn't say anything bout using the Mattock when cloaked, it's a Locust replacement. Incidentally that's why there's no dispute on the Widow; the Viper/Incisor suffer from the same issue of only getting a single boosted shot from cloak and the Widow is better than the Mantis in every way.

Shen on
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I like the Viper on non-Infiltrator classes.

But yeah, for Infiltrator, Widow always.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also...who would use the GPS or Mattock with the cloak?

To do this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbJe88Q7F6w

Emporium on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Solo'ing with Infiltrator isn't difficult...

That being said...a Shotgun Infiltrator run does sound like fun, but I like the Widow too much.

Though, since ME3 allows you to select your weapons in ME3 I'll probably go SMG-Shotgun-Sniper.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There is only one way to go in Me3 as a soldier.

Dual Weilding Revenants.

And your special melee attack involves playing the drums on your enemies' noggins using the Revenants as drumsticks. :D

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The mechanics of Cloak, as they are now, don't seem to lend themselves to close-combat. You can either Cloak to approach, in which case you've got your ass hanging out when you decloak and another four or five seconds before you can use it again, or you can cloak to get away, in which case you've had your ass hanging out to get shot already. The lack of shield or health regen doesn't help either; any damage you take is just going to start stacking up.

I hope they rework it in ME3. I was thinking maybe let you switch it on and off without cooldown until you've spent the maximum duration cloaked, then hit you with the cooldown. That should give you enough time to actually do hit and run strikes with it.

Elendil on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Dual Weilding Widows.

And your special melee attack involves playing the drums on your enemies' noggins using the Revenants as drumsticks. :D

Fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHoIMBXKSos

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Dual Weilding Widows.

Fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHoIMBXKSos

I approve of this development.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah there is a disturbing lack of railgun in Mass Effect

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, techincally every gun in ME is a rail gun, just using mass effect fields to lighten the bullets.

But I always did like those guns from Eraser.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    In order for it to be a proper railgun it needs to look ridiculously cool and do that swirly graphic thing

Quake 2 knows what I'm talking about

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Muscle memory is really betraying me in Mass Effect 2, I'm so used to Mass Effect 1's system.

Also, I kind of
    stumbled into Garrus on Omega. Aria had some option about Archangle and Shepard started talking about stuff I hadn't heard about yet. So now I have to go back and get Mordin.

never die on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    is it possible to use the reload trick without immediately firing off another round?

absolutely!

here's the claymore reload trick.

fire once. BOOM.

release fire button. the gun now needs to reload before firing again. here you have two options. press the reload button and you'll start the lengthy reload animation. OR you can press and hold the fire button, this will also trigger the reload animation.

the claymore reload trick is when you hear the "click" of the reload animation and hit melee. it's a great audio clue, and after your elbow is back in position, the gun is ready to fire right the fuck now. this readiness basically means if you're already holding down the fire button, the claymore shoots as soon as the melee is done.

if you want to do the reload trick without firing a second shot, use the FIRST method of reloading (hitting the reload button) and not the second one (holding down the fire button).

experienced claymore vanguards charge a group of enemies, press the fire button DURING CHARGE so the gun fires as soon as they impact, and then they do not let go of the fire button. they maneuver to the next enemy, get in point blank range - all the time listening for that reload click sound - and as soon as they hear it, melee elbow-BAM gun fires again. eventually it becomes something like a race to the next mook before the next DING! TIME FOR DEATH timer goes off. :D

when a group is finished off, the claymore vanguard presses the RELOAD button, then does the reload trick. that way, he or she is not wasting a shot, and has a round chambered for the next charge.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Dual Weilding Revenants.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    An invisible man with a shotgun does sound rather terrifying.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So out of twisted machoism, I'm currently playing a femshep uber-paragon xeno loving (literally) carebear.

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Slit. Wrists. Hurrrgh.

Para femshep's solution to everything is to kiss it and make it better. Hell, she'd probably stick her tounge down Saren's throat if it would save the galaxy.

I just want to finish the run so I can get back to punching people in the face like God intended.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    The mechanics of Cloak, as they are now, don't seem to lend themselves to close-combat. You can either Cloak to approach, in which case you've got your ass hanging out when you decloak and another four or five seconds before you can use it again, or you can cloak to get away, in which case you've had your ass hanging out to get shot already. The lack of shield or health regen doesn't help either; any damage you take is just going to start stacking up.

I hope they rework it in ME3. I was thinking maybe let you switch it on and off without cooldown until you've spent the maximum duration cloaked, then hit you with the cooldown. That should give you enough time to actually do hit and run strikes with it.

Cloak's really good.

Pretty much always able to grab a few kills and run away.

Or use it to approach that one isolated sniper and shoot him in the back of the head, etc.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So out of twisted machoism, I'm currently playing a femshep uber-paragon xeno loving (literally) carebear.

Para femshep's solution to everything is to kiss it and make it better. Hell, she'd probably stick her tounge down Saren's throat if it would save the galaxy.

I just want to finish the run so I can get back to punching people in the face like God intended.

On the plus side you could...um...err

On second thoughts there is no plus side. Your ME3 game will probably involve Shepard breaking down in tears when the reapers arrive.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A thought about ME3:

If I never see another set of enemies arrive on a floating platform with scattered cover, I'll be just fine thanks.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Since when was Yeoman Chambers a revived ex-Spectre?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I tried that once. Yeah, pure paragon hurts. Had to run a failshep and a standard badass-Shep at the same time to make up for it.

But it'll all be worth in in 3 if any of it comes back to bite her in her sanctimonious arse.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Dual Weilding Revenants.

YEEEESSSSSSSS

Also bonus points to the cameraman for the hilarious observation:

"Just for the sake of the record....this looks really unsafe..."

Shepard's MO in a nutshell...

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    A thought about ME3:

If I never see another set of enemies arrive on a floating platform with scattered cover, I'll be just fine thanks.

Inexplicable chest height walls are the future!

I'm still not certain whether they're better or worse than the Dragonforce warehouses we used to fight through.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I tried that once. Yeah, pure paragon hurts. Had to run a failshep and a standard badass-Shep at the same time to make up for it.

But it'll all be worth in in 3 if any of it comes back to bite her in her sanctimonious arse.
    Paragon Shep will be going into the final fight of ME3 flanked by the Quarian Fleet, the entire geth species, a newly revived Krogan Empire and the collective might of the Council species.

Riding a Rachni Queen.

Renegade Shep gets three human redshirts and a Cerberus-issue moped.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And a callused fist!

jackisreal on