As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's funny how those quotes have nothing to do with each other.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The best way to play is to sometimes take the middle option and Para/Gade depending on the situation.

Shepard comes across as a well adjusted person instead of a preachy hypocrite/colossal asshole.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah, my general favorite way to play is paragon to my friends and such, generally polite

but take every renegade interrupt

EDIT: oh fuck i hope in ME3 they don't tie interrupts to your para/ren level points at the time.

that would be a HUGE downer.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I never really understood why the Paragon options for Mordin are so preachy and condescending.

That really seemed to me like a misattribution of the whole idealist vs realist thing they have going on.

Apparently the writers at bioware equate Paragon points with wanting to fill the galaxy with additional threats that need dealt with; Rachni, Geth, Krogan, etc.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    glithert wrote: »
    What always pissed me off is when that Asari merc pulls a gun on you and it's the "renegade" option to shoot her

You have no idea who she is or is going to shoot you with her gun

I'd say that's pretty renegade.

She's a fuckin merc

Mercs die

It was just a bonus she happened to be a special merc

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On the loading screens, the way they describe Paragon vs. Renegade is "Be the ultimate hero" vs. "Be the ultimate bad ass." So I don't think Renegade was ever meant to be evil, just a hard ass dude/girl that don't give a fuck, yo.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's not like Shep can't take a burst from her SMG to actually find out if she's hostile. S/he's only been doing that the entire game.

I've never felt like the Elnora interrupt needed to be anything other than Renegade. It's a knee-jerk application of violence. That's pretty textbook.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the fact that she killed the volus makes her guilty

the fact that she pulls a gun on shep makes her dead

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What always pissed me off is when that Asari merc pulls a gun on you and it's the "renegade" option to shoot her

1. she's a merc as evidenced by the merc armor and gun
    2. a merc you have previously been warned must have, at one point, committed a murder
    3. she pulls a gun on you without warning
    4. there is ominous foreshadowing beforehand

not shooting her is insane

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Shepard has murdered literally thousands of people.

Hell, he'd just pushed a guy with no visible armament out of a billionth story window.

Being a murderer does not automatically make one a bad person in the ME universe.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're a mercenary, dressed in a mercenary's armour, talking mercenary-talk to mercenaries on a radio in a building containing nothing but mercenaries, it is not Shepard's fault that you left your weapon on the desk when you went to look out the window.

Auberon on
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Elendil wrote: »

1. she's a merc as evidenced by the merc armor and gun
    2. a merc you have previously been warned must have, at one point, committed a murder
    3. she pulls a gun on you without warning
    4. there is ominous foreshadowing beforehand

not shooting her is insane

Bingo. I had forgotten about the requirement that they make a kill to become a merc in my playthrough and sadly bought her line of BS regarding not wanting to be there. I let her go. Then I found her datapad...:x:x:x

Felt like a tool. Next playthrough, she's getting 17 bullets to the head.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As much hate as there is for Paragons, I have to say, by far the best paragon option in the game is when you're talking down that Asari spectre in Lotsb when she has that hostage.

"I've killed thousands of people, defeated Geth and Saren at the Citadel, I've released the Rachni on the galaxy....so one more hostage is not going to really make me think twice in the grand scheme of things..."

When I first heard that I was all like bwuh? That's a paragon choice?? o_O

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shepard hasn't murdered anyone. Shepard only kills people who are interfering with official SPECTRE business, which makes it not murder.

Granted, official SPECTRE business may involve dancing at Flux, or Afterlife, or whatever the new club at the Citadel was called (so what if I got blackout drunk and forgot the name, don't judge me).

Bobble on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Paragade interrupts are the best.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

She was lying through her teeth... Not just because of the evidence you find later, but it's as the one Volus said at the beginning of the mission: No Eclipse Sister gets her armor until she kills someone.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah...but that's the thing...Renegade doesn't mean evil...

Even if it is justified(most Renegade options are justified...except when you're just being a douche), executing someone outright is still the Renegade thing to do.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

She was lying through her teeth... Not just because of the evidence you find later, but it's as the one Volus said at the beginning of the mission: No Eclipse Sister gets her armor until she kills someone.

Also Zaeed basically says to kill her. He's always right.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As much hate as there is for Paragons, I have to say, by far the best paragon option in the game is when you're talking down that Asari spectre in Lotsb when she has that hostage.

"I've killed thousands of people, defeated Geth and Saren at the Citadel, I've released the Rachni on the galaxy....so one more hostage is not going to really make me think twice in the grand scheme of things..."

When I first heard that I was all like bwuh? That's a paragon choice?? o_O

The renegade choice is shooting the hostage, like in Speed.

Renegades win again!

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah...that was a pretty crappy thing to do...so I did it once just to see what happens.

You don't kill the person but it's still pretty shitty.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah...that was a pretty crappy thing to do...so I did it once just to see what happens.

Are you saying you don't love Speed?

Do you hate freedom?

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Are you saying you don't love Speed?

Do you hate freedom?

If Zaeed sacrifices orphans to make it out of a burning building just to claim he was the only one to live through that disaster, would he?

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Zaeed doesn't need to sacrifice people...it just happens.

Speaking of which. You know you've played too much Mass Effect when, on Archangel's mission, when you choose to leave a partner behind you second-guess whether it is a good idea to leave Zaeed to guard Garrus.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zaeed draws the line at killing kids, he says as much on Jack's loyalty mission.

Not that they wouldn't die in the crossfire or anything, it's just that he wouldn't do it.

I'm done with my 100% Pargon femshep, now let's never do that again.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Zaeed draws the line at killing kids, he says as much on Jack's loyalty mission.

Not that they wouldn't die in the crossfire or anything, it's just that he wouldn't do it.

Maybe they're adult orphans!

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Then they can be expected to carry their own weight.

Shepard's an orphan, and you don't see her sitting on her ass waiting to get shot.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Like Shepard?

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So, since I was too lazy to make a face for my femShep this run I went to http://www.masseffect2faces.com/

for one. And that has me wondering...why do dude faces generally look better? Especially after playing DA2 and the female faces being pretty okay in that game. I've noticed that something is a bit...off...with the ME2 female faces.

I can't tell what though.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So, since I was too lazy to make a face for my femShep this run I went to http://www.masseffect2faces.com/

for one. And that has me wondering...why do dude faces generally look better. Especially after playing DA2 and the female faces being pretty okay in that game. I've noticed that something is a bit...off...with the ME2 female faces.

Well I always thought it was obvious since the default femaleshep face looks pretty bland in comparison with the default vanderloo shep face.

I like that they put effort into both default faces in DA 2.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No...I'm not talking about the default face.

I mean in general.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No...I'm not talking about the default face.

I mean in general.

Well my reasoning was that if they couldn't make a good default fem face, then maybe they realize that their engine thing is bad at making them.

It's a pretty piss poor argument, I'll agree. I don't know anymore

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

for one. And that has me wondering...why do dude faces generally look better? Especially after playing DA2 and the female faces being pretty okay in that game. I've noticed that something is a bit...off...with the ME2 female faces.

there's something wonky about the fundamental shape of it

it always looks weird and terrifying any time shadows start hitting it

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Holy crap, why the hell didn't we get this as legitimate armor?

JormanHazard.jpg

I'm playing around with it and Cerberus Skunkworks weapons, it's a damn shame they got deleted from the 'regular' game. They put the other uber-gear to shame.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Of the ones that didn't make it that I saw. I really like the one that in that "I have a galaxy to save" meme image.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It looks like he'd trip trying to move in that thing.

Also, one shoulder plate is bigger than the other. Why is one plate bigger? Is it the Official Commander Shepard plate?

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's a built-in radar antenna. No, that doesn't make sense to me either, just go with it.

Emporium on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Asymmetric shoulder pads isn't a new design.

As for why it's done...usually because it looks cool.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Asymmetric shoulder pads isn't a new design.

As for why it's done...usually because it looks cool.

Yeah, it's a gear piece in ME2 even. It does kind of look like a proto-ME2 design.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    In increases Shepard's left hook by a factor of ten.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

All I'm sayin' is

She's dressed as an enemy combatant, you are in the middle of a fight, you have a gun on her, and she sees you, and your gun, and draws.

Shooting her is not a Renegade action. It's the smart thing to do. The "neutral" option is incredibly stupid. I can't understand why anyone in that situation would think it was a good idea to let her draw her gun and point it at you.

In short, videogames= srs bsns

glithert on