As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Capcom's [Dragon's Dogma] - POST IN NEW THREAD

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »
    I love how this game is the bastard lovechild of DMC, Monster Hunter and D. Souls, especially if you go solo. The sword/shield combo is basically Dante's fucking Rebellion! I was fighting a fucking Monster Hunter boss with fucking Dante! How cool is that!

The Assassin class actually gets Dante's Stinger move.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    I love how this game is the bastard lovechild of DMC, Monster Hunter and D. Souls, especially if you go solo. The sword/shield combo is basically Dante's fucking Rebellion! I was fighting a fucking Monster Hunter boss with fucking Dante! How cool is that!

You can use it in the demo too. It's R1+Square IIRC.

• Options

Ah, I thought the Stinger move was multiple forward jabs, not just one. But you're right!

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Demo was fun, I like how they did the bow controls, where you hit a button to prep the attack, then can aim and RT to fire it. Definitely buying this now.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Finally got to download and play. Me likey.

Riding a flaming griffon down to the ground as you stab it in the gizzards was way funner than anyone should be allowed to have.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Perhaps my expectations weren't correct as I was expecting a more Dark Souls "weight" to attacks and animations but I'll keep an eye on it, the option to fix the awful camera being y axis retarded would have gone a long way and maybe all the sounds and camera effects aren't in yet, but it felt extraordinarily wimpy when combat started.

Liked the creator and what I saw of the storytelling style seems good, if only I could get my pawns to shut the fuck up for 3 minutes so the entire lefthand side of my screen isn't inane bullshit.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This was perfect.

This game was everything I always hoped Fable would become.

I made a super old dude who looked like Trevor from Aeon Flux, but with a long beard, and he was super skinny and old. His name was Garbanzo, and he was the most agile old man ever.

His pawn is also his wife, the beautiful Lady Garbonzo.

And together they fought a Griffon, and at one point, Lady Garbonzo cried out "I will add flame to your weapon!" or something, and holy shit my swords started on fire.

Sold. Sold. Sold.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm taking everyone else's super positive reactions as demo enough and saving myself for the full game. Wouldn't want to come across these giant monsters in the game proper and go 'oh, these guys again'.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm still interested but I felt the demo was pretty lousy for showcasing an open world RPG.

Also, I really hope the release version is optimized a lot better than this old demo because this thing has to be hitting like 15 fps in some of those scenes.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I'm still interested but I felt the demo was pretty lousy for showcasing an open world RPG.

Also, I really hope the release version is optimized a lot better than this old demo because this thing has to be hitting like 15 fps in some of those scenes.

You had framerate drops? What platform did you play the demo on? I don't remember having that, even with all the explosions and fire, on either platform. Did anyone else suffer from a low framerate?

Dashui on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I played on PS3. It seemed like the worst areas were a really intensely burning area before the Chimera and some moments during the chimera itself.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I didn't see the FPS drop even once on 360. I was impressed how much stuff was going on at a rock solid frame rate.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    My one reservation is whether or not it's possible to run out of giant monsters to stab. Skyrim has all the dragons, and I hope this game doesn't stop sending griffins, chimera, and other big bads at you.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Apparently Ive read that you cant run out of monsters, and the spawns are random.

Fighting those goblins and having a fucking GRIFFON just come out of nowhere was pretty damn amazing.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    My one reservation is whether or not it's possible to run out of giant monsters to stab. Skyrim has all the dragons, and I hope this game doesn't stop sending griffins, chimera, and other big bads at you.

It doesn't.

In one of the OXM videos dude runs into a chimera in the forest and is massacred.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    its not fair.

the demo is like a drug dealer just gave me just the smallest little taste of cocaine. and it left me wanting more.
    at least give me a full hit of the stuff... 30minutes of bliss is all im asking, not the 5minutes of awesome that we've been given

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Play the Griffin Fight 6 times. 30 minutes.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Played the demo last night. Played it again this morning before leaving for work. It cemented my feelings on the game. While it is not at an "OMG, I must pre-order this right now!" level, it is at an "If I have $60 on release day, I will be going out of my way to pick up a copy after work" level. I was far more impressed with the game than I expected to be.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Q: What's more badass than knocking a griffon out of the sky with your bow (LB + X, cant remember the ability's name), peppering it with more arrows and then sprinting up a rock and leaping onto it as it angrily shoots back into the air? Then stabbing it over and over, holding on for dear life as it spirals back to the ground in flames?

A: NOTHING

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    Thanks to this thread I downloaded the demo last night and gave it a go before going to bed. I'm sold. Like, the only things I hated were the tiny tiny slivers of time they gave you to play around with tiny slivers of the game (want moar!), and the sheer chattiness of the Pawns.

It really felt like Kingdoms of Amalur + Dark Souls + a more gritty Fable.

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Thanks to this thread I downloaded the demo last night and gave it a go before going to bed. I'm sold. Like, the only things I hated were the tiny tiny slivers of time they gave you to play around with tiny slivers of the game (want moar!), and the sheer chattiness of the Pawns.

Game Options -> Turn off Pawn subtitles

Also, turn off the controller map thing. Makes the screen look 100% better :)

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I will say - this game manages to capture the "holy shit thats a monster" feel better than, possibly, anything else I've ever played.

I remember in the VERY first Fable, the first time the Kraken showed up, was one moment that I went "holy shit this thing is huge." Managing scale in a videogame is very, very hard I think.

The Sentinel's in most X-Men games always feel big. But thats it. Cameras zoom way out and you're like oh yup, thats big. And then when you fight them, its like punching the boot, and you're like, wow thats tall. But whatever. I cant explain it. There's just no feeling of awe.

When I came around the corner and that Dragon was there, it was like when I saw the Kraken, times ten. It was just like...holy shit. This is massive.

This is easily one of the worst articulations in history.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I'm taking everyone else's super positive reactions as demo enough and saving myself for the full game. Wouldn't want to come across these giant monsters in the game proper and go 'oh, these guys again'.
    The demo is five, maybe ten minutes long. There's part of the Prologue, the character creator, and the "Countryside Quest" (a fight with a handful of goblins and a griffin). The only other creature in the game is the mini-boss at the end of the Prologue Quest.

With only three creatures encountered, I wouldn't worry about overexposing yourself via the demo.

I would like to point out that I spent a good 40 minutes in the character creator. Over all, I would say the demo was a good 50 to 55 minutes long, though most of that is playing with the Character Creator, I'll admit.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Did it make them shut up though? Their incessant prattling really worried me since I'd hate to have them say "Over here, the path's over here, hey Arisen it's over here, HEY, LISTEN" over and over in the release. Although turning off the subtitles and controller map will def help (after I get a grip with the buttons, that is).

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Did it make them shut up though? Their incessant prattling really worried me since I'd hate to have them say "Over here, the path's over here, hey Arisen it's over here, HEY, LISTEN" over and over in the release. Although turning off the subtitles and controller map will def help (after I get a grip with the buttons, that is).

They do tend to just yell out whatever they want whenever they want, often times all at once and over to of one another. It seems like a good way to miss out on important information, since the big idea on the pawns was that bringing them into your game yields you unique info they may have learned from other players.

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I will say - this game manages to capture the "holy shit thats a monster" feel better than, possibly, anything else I've ever played.

I remember in the VERY first Fable, the first time the Kraken showed up, was one moment that I went "holy shit this thing is huge." Managing scale in a videogame is very, very hard I think.

The Sentinel's in most X-Men games always feel big. But thats it. Cameras zoom way out and you're like oh yup, thats big. And then when you fight them, its like punching the boot, and you're like, wow thats tall. But whatever. I cant explain it. There's just no feeling of awe.

When I came around the corner and that Dragon was there, it was like when I saw the Kraken, times ten. It was just like...holy shit. This is massive.

This is easily one of the worst articulations in history.

sense of scale you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsEpjZn08QM

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    yesssss, a R.A.D reference. Such an awesome game.

• Options
    i have the game... i play it... then i grit my teeth when i hear nanao talk...

i mute it from now on. I've played the whole game with dialogue on the first time, and i've done my time.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    ZonghuiZonghui Registered User regular
    I'm definitely sold on this one.

Pretty nice graphics and the gameplay was solid, didn't care much for the pawn chatter though. But I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Haven't tried the 360 version yet though, but I thought the performance of the PS3 one was pretty good. I didn't notice much slowdown or screen-tear and only hints of pop-in. Hard to focus on stuff like that dangling from the ass-end of a flaming gryphon.

• Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    The demo is five, maybe ten minutes long.
    I would like to point out that I spent a good 40 minutes in the character creator. Over all, I would say the demo was a good 50 to 55 minutes long, though most of that is playing with the Character Creator, I'll admit.
    I guess I could have said the gameplay of the demo is five or ten minutes long. Sure, you can spend forever in the character creator (just like you can play the griffin fight a dozen times), but you can do a single run through the Prologue Quest and Countryside Quest in ten minutes (taking your time).

I wish I could argue with you (just for the sake of arguing, if nothing else) but I can't, for you truly speak the truth. Take out the character creator and you have 10 or 15 minutes worth of gameplay in the demo. Fun gameplay, yes, but very, very little of it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    But enough of it to do exactly what a demo should do, I'd say.

I now know it controls well, and is as awesome, as the videos made it seem.

that + Resident Evil 6 demo = day 1 purchase.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I played the game. Did the prologue. It was pretty alright. I made my characters. My pawn is a tiny little redheaded girl with emo scars all over her arms and pigtails with a red and a green eye.

So I do the griffon fight. Thing swoops down, nails one of the suckers. beat on it for a bit. It's swooping around for another go. THe pawn says, 'I'll get you up there' or something to that effect, she kneels down. I run up and she catapults me right into its face mid swoop, I patch onto its leg and climb up and stab the holy shit out of it as it frantically spasms in the air.

..I want this game. I was literally just tossed onto a raging, swooping griffon. I have no words to describe just how satisfying that is to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I disagree, this demo showed me exactly what I needed to see. 1 that the controls do not suck and 2 that the climbing on enemies and the pawns actual AI worked well.

Best of all if a pawn dies you don't have to give a fuck: game continues perfectly well. That pleases me very greatly because running through the prologue by myself was actually a really interesting challenge. Either way the largely very positive reception to the demo and confirmation you can turn off annoying aspects like the pawn chatter subtitles (which flood the screen) suggests this is not a poor demo by any means. It is doing exactly what it should be doing, which is confirming how the game plays and that it's core mechanics are sound.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    And that you get to stab a griffon to death midflight and pillage its claws and feathers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    so this demo was pretty fun, spent half an hour building the perfect Arisen + Pawn for import

but I really hope we can get rid of the letterboxing in the full game

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular

Ah, I thought the Stinger move was multiple forward jabs, not just one. But you're right!

That's Million Stab, which can chain off of Stinger

/nerd.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    -Tal wrote: »
    so this demo was pretty fun, spent half an hour building the perfect Arisen + Pawn for import

Putting the character creator in was a great touch, that hour can now be spent actually playing when it comes out!

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

You can't, the letterboxing is in and I guess they use it cut out screenspace to get more power for other things.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I've done the griffin fight at least a dozen times now, and killing it, whether by simply shooting it untill it lands or leaping on to it and stabbing it repeatedly as it crashes into the earth -on fire- has yet to become even slightly boring...

yeah, I'm getting this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    My problem with the Griffin fight is you can't solo/onepawn it. As it is, it's way too easy. It takes me 5 minutes tops to beat the thing since the fire buff is way too powerful.

Well, thankfully from what we seen it won't be anything like that in the full version so I'm in the clear though I guess. I got the demo pretty much for the character creator anyway.

This discussion has been closed.