As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Capcom's [Dragon's Dogma] - POST IN NEW THREAD

• Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »
    My problem with the Griffin fight is you can't solo/onepawn it. As it is, it's way too easy. It takes me 5 minutes tops to beat the thing since the fire buff is way too powerful.

Well, thankfully from what we seen it won't be anything like that in the full version so I'm in the clear though I guess. I got the demo pretty much for the character creator anyway.

See I'm not buying this for the difficulty. I'm buying it because it's completely badass that I get to jump on a Griffin as it's flying and slice it's asshole wide open and feel like a badass doing it.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Hot damn, this game wasn't really on my radar until I tried the demo. It's like dot hack meets Demon's Souls meets a game that's far less frustrating to play.

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    mastrius wrote: »
    EVOL wrote: »
    My problem with the Griffin fight is you can't solo/onepawn it. As it is, it's way too easy. It takes me 5 minutes tops to beat the thing since the fire buff is way too powerful.

Well, thankfully from what we seen it won't be anything like that in the full version so I'm in the clear though I guess. I got the demo pretty much for the character creator anyway.

See I'm not buying this for the difficulty. I'm buying it because it's completely badass that I get to jump on a Griffin as it's flying and slice it's asshole wide open and feel like a badass doing it.

Yeah. I admit that I was grinning like an insane monkey the entire time. Setting the Griffin on fire while riding it, and jumping off just moments before it crashes was immensely satisifying.

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    played the demo, was certainly fun to give the gryphon a flaming sword enema.

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    As everyone's comments kind of show, it looks like this is a combat game. Or, at least, that's all the demo makes it. Character, plot, story, creativity, open world or play freedom, none of that comes out in the demo, and maybe that's not really the focus of the game.

When I saw open world, I was hoping for a sandbox. Honestly, okay, I just want my Skyrim expansion, and I was hoping this would do it. Instead, I guess this is, you're the chosen one who has to slay the dragon and save the wor----holy shit you can GRAB ON to a BIG MONSTER and STAB it.

Justice on
  • Options
    Justice wrote: »
    As everyone's comments kind of show, it looks like this is a combat game. Or, at least, that's all the demo makes it. Character, plot, story, creativity, open world or play freedom, none of that comes out in the demo, and maybe that's not really the focus of the game.

When I saw open world, I was hoping for a sandbox. Honestly, okay, I just want my Skyrim expansion, and I was hoping this would do it. Instead, I guess this is, you're the chosen one who has to slay the dragon and save the wor----holy shit you can GRAB ON to a BIG MONSTER and STAB it.

No no no, it is open world/sandbox. It's just that the demo only showed combat sections.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm glad it isn't a Skyrim expansion. I like Skyrim well enough but actually fun combat is more than welcome.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I like how you're hanging onto the griffin mid-flight, stabbing it as it angrily tries to shake you off. Then, your mage lackey goes "lol imma set it on fire!"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm glad it isn't a Skyrim expansion. I like Skyrim well enough but actually fun combat is more than welcome.

sick burrrrrnnnn

But really, the reason I'm so excited for this game is because it has good combat. I love the concept of sandbox games. The problem that I have with them is that the core mechanics are mostly really bad and simply not fun to play with.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Wow, you can make some serious abominations, here.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    Fought the griffon a couple times today. Stabbing him to death is much faster than trying to cram arrows down his throat.

I did have a record setting kill today though. I just shot him out of the sky and he took a nosedive straight into a rock... died instantly.

I had a good laugh and turned the demo off since it was clear I wasn't going to be doing better than that today.

I'm so happy this game is coming out in a month.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    kriegs wrote: »
    Fought the griffon a couple times today. Stabbing him to death is much faster than trying to cram arrows down his throat.

I did have a record setting kill today though. I just shot him out of the sky and he took a nosedive straight into a rock... died instantly.

I had a good laugh and turned the demo off since it was clear I wasn't going to be doing better than that today.

I'm so happy this game is coming out in a month.
    It took me forever to figure out you can fire regularly with R2 instead of charging up skills. Went a billion times faster after that since I could actually get him to the ground in a timely manner.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    How is the framerate on the 360? The PS3 demo didn't feel quite as smooth as I was hoping for an action game.

Achire on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Achire wrote: »
    How is the framerate on the 360? The PS3 demo didn't feel quite as smooth as I was hoping for an action game.

From what Ive heard the framerate is slightly better on 360 but it got tearing out the ass.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Wow, you can make some serious abominations, here.

One of my pawns is going to be this huge, fish-eyed hunchback beast of a woman.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Achire wrote: »

From what Ive heard the framerate is slightly better on 360 but it got tearing out the ass.

I didn't see any tearing outside of the character creator.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Dashui on
  • Options
    MukkMukk Registered User regular
    I tried the demo on PS3. Maybe I'm just used to PC framerates or something, but I found the demo kinda horrible to play... I guess it was something along the lines of 30 or 20 fps, which is... ehm, bad.

I think I'm going to have to wait for the possible PC release.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Mukk wrote: »
    I tried the demo on PS3. Maybe I'm just used to PC framerates or something, but I found the demo kinda horrible to play... I guess it was something along the lines of 30 or 20 fps, which is... ehm, bad.

I think I'm going to have to wait for the possible PC release.

To be fair for console gaming, 30fps is pretty standard. The list of console games running at 60 is pretty small. PC gamers do tend to notice the difference more easily though.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    It's a little blurry, but I took some screenshots from a comparison video (360 left, PS3 right; click to enlarge):

kVLT7hKpoweSF.jpgkdCNNhs8Ubnfh.jpg
    kA3zJTRfhEWG8.jpgkb1qTOXreTxWMO.jpg
    kpIq93SYu5Bb9.jpgkNNbdQQHj8iLk.jpg

I'm sure you can spot a few differences in the screenshots, but honestly, when I tried both demos they looked largely the same. The Xbox 360 version had some tearing during the character creator - which is a problem MT Framework games generally have on that platform - but I didn't see any during actual gameplay. The PS3 version's framerate slowed down a slight amount during some areas, but it felt playable to me. If you're trying to decide which one to buy, I suggest just going with the controller you're more comfortable with and if you really want to trade pawns with certain friends.

I love how the Goblins on the 360 are apparently bigger, redder and one of them even has armor which he doesn't have on the PS3.
    SUPERIOR VERSION CONFIRMED!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Tried the demo on PS3 and that was..... short. The Griffin fight was kind of a letdown. I had more action in the Chimera fight but whatever. I think I just lucked out with the pawn setting him on fire as soon as he passed by quickly grounding him. I was hoping to grab onto it and fly around but nope, just a simple cling and stab.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I think they set you up with a leveled-up, geared-up party in the demo.

I think the full game starts you with a burlap sack, a wooden sword, and a plate for a shield.

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    The three things I'll be looking for in reviews of the full game:
    * How open is the open world? Obvs, we're looking more at action-RPG box-smasher than Skyrim, but still could be good.
    * How creative is the world? The uber-stock main questline and the prithee-merry-sir dialogue made me doubt that the side quests will be interesting.
    * What kind of incentive is there to use the spiffy combat system? Mashing light attack worked pretty well for the demo....

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    All the demo characters were at level 20, whatever that may mean. And you had 6 skills at the ready, which I'm assuming is stuff you have to learn/unlock if you were starting from scratch.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Justice wrote: »
    The three things I'll be looking for in reviews of the full game:
    * How open is the open world? Obvs, we're looking more at action-RPG box-smasher than Skyrim, but still could be good.
    * How creative is the world? The uber-stock main questline and the prithee-merry-sir dialogue made me doubt that the side quests will be interesting.
    * What kind of incentive is there to use the spiffy combat system? Mashing light attack worked pretty well for the demo....

The World is completely open. Just don't expect to live long if you go off exploring.

Seems pretty diverse watch the OXM videos There's tons of ruins and creepy canyons and the like.

The Enemies in the demo obviously had lower health. The OXM guy died to standard mook level baddies quite a few times because he was unprepeared for the fight.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Yeah the demo leaves people an impression this game is going to be a lot easier than it is.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I recall reading there isn't an emphasis on loot. Like, you're not gonna come across a new sword often. I'm hoping this isn't true tbh. I like being rewarded for doing stuff with awesome, erm, stuff.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I recall reading there isn't an emphasis on loot. Like, you're not gonna come across a new sword often. I'm hoping this isn't true tbh. I like being rewarded for doing stuff with awesome, erm, stuff.
    Apparently quests are long, but give you a boatload of precious gold, which you can then spend very carefully on upgrades.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Any news on whether one can lower/increase the difficulty in the game proper?

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    You can't change difficulty in the game, but apparently it's a pretty hard game.

The Prologue dungeon is, well, a prologue dungeon, and in the Griffin fight you're horribly overleveled for the demo.

EVOL on
  • Options
    Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    Do we have a thread that we can show off what our characters and pawn looks like?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Do we have a thread that we can show off what our characters and pawn looks like?

This one? I don't think we need a separate thread just for displaying our characters.

I am glad the game lets you take and upload screenshots, though. Or at least the PS3 version does. I know other games have something similar and even save the images to your system's hard drive. I hope the 360 version doesn't miss out on that feature.

Dashui on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I play the griffin fight once a day, beat it in different ways every day, and love it.

two days ago was arrows only.

Yesterday though? Facestabs. i was SLIGHTLY bummed that climbing from the face to his back, i couldnt get out on the wings. He would just climb down his side. I want to pin its wings!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The indoors fight was just a dark chaotic mess.

But the outdoors fight. Oh my word.

Only thing really worrying now is the framerate (PS3 demo tested).

EDIT: Oh, and did I miss the targeting button, or do you always have to keep moving the camera to what you're trying to attack?

EDIT 2: Also, any trick to holding onto large creatures? I didn't see a balance meter like in Shadow of the Colossus, and things were too chaotic for me to get anything from my character's movements...

EDIT 3: I hope the final game will have control re-mapping, because having to press down on the left stick while already pushing on it to sprint, feels like it's going to break off some day.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    eobet wrote: »
    The indoors fight was just a dark chaotic mess.

But the outdoors fight. Oh my word.

Only thing really worrying now is the framerate (PS3 demo tested).

Indoor fights seem to be intentionally more hazardous.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    EDIT 2: Also, any trick to holding onto large creatures? I didn't see a balance meter like in Shadow of the Colossus, and things were too chaotic for me to get anything from my character's movements...

There's a little stamina meter under your health bar. You'll fall off if/when that depletes. Also, try not to move at all when the creature is trying to buck you off.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular

EDIT 3: I hope the final game will have control re-mapping, because having to press down on the left stick while already pushing on it to sprint, feels like it's going to break off some day.

I think you can switch between different control schemes in the demo. As far as sprinting goes, you don't have to keep pressing the stick to keep sprinting. Press it and simultaneously pick a direction, and you'll keep sprinting until you stop moving. Just in case you didn't realize.

• Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    Speaking of the indoor fight being dark..

When I first booted up the demo I fired up the prologue and the area was hella dark, like no hand seen in front of my face dark. But after beating the griffin and finishing up in character creation I fired up the prologue again. This time I could actually see shit and when I panned upwards the sky wasn't at night just cloudy and overcast. Being able to see inside the chimera area was great as the place looked pretty awesome.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    My only regret is this game doesnt have weather. Like crazy thunder storms and hail and whatnot.

I wold pay for that.

• Options
    My only regret is this game doesnt have weather. Like crazy thunder storms and hail and whatnot.

I wold pay for that.

Did they say there's no weather, only night and day?

This discussion has been closed.