As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Capcom's [Dragon's Dogma] - POST IN NEW THREAD

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I haven't seen any videos with weather. I figured it'd be mentioned somewhere if it was in.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    There is weather, one of the brit guys vids has the guy fighting the griffon during a thunderstorm AT NIGHT. it looked goddamn amazing.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    eobet wrote: »
    The indoors fight was just a dark chaotic mess.

But the outdoors fight. Oh my word.

Only thing really worrying now is the framerate (PS3 demo tested).

EDIT: Oh, and did I miss the targeting button, or do you always have to keep moving the camera to what you're trying to attack?

EDIT 2: Also, any trick to holding onto large creatures? I didn't see a balance meter like in Shadow of the Colossus, and things were too chaotic for me to get anything from my character's movements...

EDIT 3: I hope the final game will have control re-mapping, because having to press down on the left stick while already pushing on it to sprint, feels like it's going to break off some day.

To Edit 1: No lock-on, it follows the Monster Hunter way of having the camera being your resposibility. I thought it was far enough back to make that not a big deal, but then again, I used to play a lot of Monster Hunter Tri.

To Edit 2: As it was said before, you are forced to let go when you run out of stamina. Also, I think how much stamina you lose/is drained when you latch on to something depends quite a bit as to where; I'd lose stamina holding onto the griphon at pretty large chucks if I was latched on to it's head while it was bucking (componded by the fact it seems to do it constantly when it has someone climbing it's head or neck) but I'm able to stay on it pretty much as long as I wanted so long as I quickly climbed up to it's back, particularly between it's wings (which, btw, counts as hitting it's wings if you are trying to make it crash)

To Edit 3: there is remaping in the demo, but as far as I could tell, all you can do is swap RB/R1 with RT/R2 and/or LB/L1 with LT/L2 (atm, I have mine set so I can ready the bow with LT, then fire with RT, like you would do aiming and shooting in most shooters)
    There is weather, one of the brit guys vids has the guy fighting the griffon during a thunderstorm AT NIGHT. it looked goddamn amazing.

Where is this video? I want to see it!

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    So this is hilarious and awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy3UrA8BoaU

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    That looks like an amazing defensive tool. Using it offensively has hilarious results.
    I wonder if your pawn will take a swing if the enemy flies by like in that one video...

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Where is this video? I want to see it!

Ask and ye shall recieve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYToNIOIA3o

• Options
    Oh cool. I thought that was the various fire spells lighting up the area from off camera

• Options
    So... I come home every night, turn on my PS3, play through the Countryside quest, then do whatever else it is I need to do that day. I've tried so many different things with that griffin, and it still surprises me sometimes. Today I perched on a stone and attacked it with arrows and it flew up, grabbed me and slammed me into the rocks. Heh.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I really cannot wait for this game, having finished with the Witcher 2 and even playing Dark Souls again I am still in the mood for some good old fashioned fantasy stabbing people.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    RealityReality Registered User regular
    *Dusts off*

Man, this demo is sweet. I'm really excited for this game. Am I the only person that's hoping that a lot of the concepts in this are also included in MH4? Cause I can think of more than a couple things that this demo does that would vastly improve the MH experience and I really see Dragon's Dogma as just a snack to tide me over until MH4 hits. The climbing-on-beast dynamic is friggin awesome and something that is long over-due in video games with over-sized bosses/creatures.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I wish to be placed in a medically induced coma for two weeks please.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I fiddled with the character creator and the Griffin mission. I think this game will be a lot of fun. I don't know if I will have the cash for it though.

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Reality wrote: »
    *Dusts off*

Man, this demo is sweet. I'm really excited for this game. Am I the only person that's hoping that a lot of the concepts in this are also included in MH4? Cause I can think of more than a couple things that this demo does that would vastly improve the MH experience and I really see Dragon's Dogma as just a snack to tide me over until MH4 hits. The climbing-on-beast dynamic is friggin awesome and something that is long over-due in video games with over-sized bosses/creatures.

The debut MH4 footage had lots of climbing and jumping(on top of a Tigerex no less!) ect. so I think it's safe to say some of the mechanics will carry over.

• Options
    AlgarAlgar Registered User regular
    There's no weather, only wind I think.
    I think the one in the oxm video is "staged" as in it happens during the boss fight. I kind of have a feeling they didn't bother with rain because water actually affect the game in some ways, your lantern will go off as soon as your character is soaked in water, and there are other things like using oil to light things on fire from what I read.

I've been playing the Prologue a lot, being able to parry a boss to stun its dash attack and knocking it down is really cool if you time it right, I'm hoping there are some defensive skills that enhances that effect in the full game, because I just can't find a use for any of the shield skills, they're really slow. Strider has a lot of potentials but it really gives me the sense of button mashing because mobs aren't really after you all that much and you have projectile and roll to help you stay away from monsters at all time.

• Options
    On my daily forays I've discovered the heavy attack on the guy i the prologue has two parts if you hold the button down. He does the forward stab then follows up with a shield bash. That gives me hope for other maneuvers relying on button timing. It seems like the combat system will be pretty deep.

I also really like the heavy attack for the strider. Stab Stab!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I just now found out about this demo because I have been lost in another game.

Downloadin. Hope there's an empty room somewhere I can swing my shit at to find out how this stuff works. I like doing that.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    If monster hunter completely apes dragons dogma combat mechanics I would not be sad.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I've been agonizing over what my pawn would look like and I've figured it out.

Since I want to be a mage, I need a sword for a teammate. I'll make my Pawn look like Saber from Fate/Stay Night with a big ol' two hander sword. Will it be optimized? nope, she's barely 5'4'' but it will be glorious.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I wish to be placed in a medically induced coma for two weeks please.

I'll grab my medicinal sledgehammer and be right there.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Sword and shield stuff I discovered on the second go through prologue. If this is known, sorry, I haven't checked the thread.

The light attack has a second combo. Pause after the first hit then keep going. You get a big overhead strike, followed by a quick flurry in front of you and a strike from below to sky.

The cymbal shield attack can be extend by pressing it multiple times. You smack them with the shield multiple times and then the last hit is like the shield smash. I did this combo on a goblin and it got knocked on it's ass. I then "discovered" the second light attack combo while it was on the ground. It was a complete accident. I didn't mean to smash down on it.

Pretty damn cool system here I will be playing around with it a bit more tomorrow.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm trying to decide if I want to my pawn to be based on the Fate universe (/stay night, /zero, /extra, /prototype, /apocrypha) or Valkyrie Profile universe.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    selvaria aint a bad choice either vagrant :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I said Valkyrie Profile not Valkyria Chronicles. And there's no Lancer class.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    whoops, too many valkyrie games I know then. >.<

I've been playing VC2 a lot lately and I misread your post.
    Yea, Viking Chicks are hawt too :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The assasssin's multi hit attack can be extended by mashing until he does a finisher. It's a spinny kick thing.
    after I got the griffin down I was doing it on it's head, but I don't actually know if it was doing a lot of damage because I turned the ui bars off and they'll be staying that way.
    I am using no ui bars for this game. Fuck ui bars on this game. Fuck most of the ui come to think of it. It just gets in the way of the monster tell tales and you can't see what they are doing.

Okay so the prologue warrior's stuff is mighty neat. The skyward blitz attack takes harpies out of the air. I don't know what the shield summons is supposed to do but I think it gets the monsters attention.
    The thing that really made me like the warrior though is when the chimera went nuts, charged around the room and I pressed shield just before it hit me. He smacks it aside, it rebounds off the shield and falls to the ground.
    So you have a proper shield parry that is useful.

Also there are some explosive barrels lying around in the snow harpy area. I need this game!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    If I make a pawn, it doesn't matter if it's male or female; he/she is going to be an assassin, and will be my shadow. The thought of having an ninja/assassin bodyguard has always appealed to me.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I tried the demo again after the initial letdown of it when it first appeared and I was severely underwhelmed. The chimera fight was boring as a hunter and three Griffin fight was over far too quickly, pawn shot it out the sky and it fell, losing most of its health. Couple more whacks and it was done for.

This time? PRE-ORDERED. Or would do if I could afford to buy it, silly console game prices. What swayed me so much was the difference in the Griffin battle this time. I went in with the same character. Griffin flew low enough for me to jump and grab onto and I went for a ride. Then a helpful pawn ignited the beast and we fell gracefully to earth. With a massive bang. From there on he just struggled to stay on his feet, I just kept pummeling away at it.

Seriously wish this comes to PC as I have more time for it there. Buy it you guys!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm going to make a huge old man with old white hair, with a brash young tomboy sidekick that he treats like his own daughter.
    I sure hope you can run around with a giant claymore because that's what I want my awesome old grand pa to be smacking heads in with.

Seriously this game's character customisation is fantastic.

Plus, you know, who would you want to save the world? Some new know nothing or a guy who has done it once or twice already. Griffins? This'd be what his thirtieth? Fortieth? He can't even remember anymore.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Wait, is the PS3 region free? Might be worthwhile importing, provided I find someone willing to go out their way.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Wait, is the PS3 region free? Might be worthwhile importing, provided I find someone willing to go out their way.

The PS3 is region free, yep.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Importing works out more expensive, foiled again! Ah well, one for the summer lull I guess.

• Options
    AlgarAlgar Registered User regular
    If I make a pawn, it doesn't matter if it's male or female; he/she is going to be an assassin, and will be my shadow. The thought of having an ninja/assassin bodyguard has always appealed to me.

No hybrid class for your pawn I think :P, they could only do the other 6 classes.

• Options
    Algar wrote: »

No hybrid class for your pawn I think :P, they could only do the other 6 classes.

By Ninja/Assassin, I meant either/or would do. I'm aware there's probably no hybrid.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I'll be shocked if a PC version has not been announced by the end of Summer. I expect an announcement during or before E3 to be honest.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    The assassin also has a "square/x, pause, mash square/x" combo as well as being able to hold down heavy attack to get a second strike. So it looks like this is a general combat thing, having a second combo on your light attack and an optional second hard hit.

The assassin's is a set of four kicks.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

By Ninja/Assassin, I meant either/or would do. I'm aware there's probably no hybrid.
    No, the assassin class is a hybrid (warrior/rogue) class, and unfortunately your pawn can't be one. Pawns can only be basic classes (strider/mage/fighter) and advanced classes (ranger/sorceror/warrior). Hybrid classes (assassin/magick archer/mystic knight) are exclusive the the player character.

Personally, my a five foot nothing wiry dude that looks suspiciously like the prince from Sands of Time is going to be an assassin as soon as I have the option. Main pawn is probably going to be a sorceror. For the purposes of pawn whoring, I figure the market is probably going to be saturated on white chicks with ginormous breasts, so I set out to make an alluring Indian or Middle Eastern lady. You know. Someone with mystique. Stand out from the crowd. Capitalize on the consumer sector unpandered to. Let the ivory marketplace confusion strengthen my rich mahogany branding. Take the bull by the horns and, like, climb around the horns and then stab it and it's on fire and then I run out of stamina and somehow I ended up with a light-skinned black girl with red hair. Maybe not as mysterious, but good enough.

On second thought, I probably should not have divulged my devious ho-genda. Welp. If you'll excuse me, I have a pimpcopter to abscond in. Gators, don't fail me now!

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »

No, the assassin class is a hybrid (warrior/rogue) class, and unfortunately your pawn can't be one. Pawns can only be basic classes (strider/mage/fighter) and advanced classes (ranger/sorceror/warrior). Hybrid classes (assassin/magick archer/mystic knight) are exclusive the the player character.

Personally, my a five foot nothing wiry dude that looks suspiciously like the prince from Sands of Time is going to be an assassin as soon as I have the option. Main pawn is probably going to be a sorceror. For the purposes of pawn whoring, I figure the market is probably going to be saturated on white chicks with ginormous breasts, so I set out to make an alluring Indian or Middle Eastern lady. You know. Someone with mystique. Stand out from the crowd. Capitalize on the consumer sector unpandered to. Let the ivory marketplace confusion strengthen my rich mahogany branding. Take the bull by the horns and, like, climb around the horns and then stab it and it's on fire and then I run out of stamina and somehow I ended up with a light-skinned black girl with red hair. Maybe not as mysterious, but good enough.

On second thought, I probably should not have divulged my devious ho-genda. Welp. If you'll excuse me, I have a pimpcopter to abscond in. Gators, don't fail me now!

And the pimping minigame has begun! :P

• Options
    If only there was a monk class. I mean, c'mon, Capcom; half of your games involve martial arts, so why not this one?

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Why isn't this out yet.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.