Options

[Internet Dating] 'It built character.' - But only after you get them dates!!

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So cute, seemingly interesting girl messaged me. She even recognized my Tobias costume which is always a plus. Only problem is shes 21 and I'm 29. Thoughts?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    She's just within the half + 7 range, so if she seems mature and has her head on her shouldes... can't hurt to go on a date.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I dated a 29-year-old when I was 21 and I think I was more grown-up than he was.

riz on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So cute, seemingly interesting girl messaged me. She even recognized my Tobias costume which is always a plus. Only problem is shes 21 and I'm 29. Thoughts?

Yeah, my thought is how is that a problem? Are you worried she's too young?

Her age is not at all problematic unless one of you thinks it is. Let her prove you wrong.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    An age difference can be kind of awkward but it's certainly doable

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »

What exactly do you have to lose by talking to her and maybe going on a date?

Precisely!

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    hey guys, which one of the two pictures on my profile should i use as the main image, the most recent or the half a year old one? or should i just burn them all and start again?

http://www.plentyoffish.com/member18809377.htm

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Probably the second one.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    yeah i was thinking thats better, looks kinda cheesy mirror+phoney shot tho, but ill give it a spin.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm a little confused here: I was browsing this girl's answers and mine is red even though we gave the same answer. How exactly does that work?

okcupidred.jpg

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cervetus wrote: »
    I'm a little confused here: I was browsing this girl's answers and mine is red even though we gave the same answer. How exactly does that work?

okcupidred.jpg

A lot of times people misclick or misunderstand a question. It happens, especially if you answer upwards of 150 questions.

Or they may desire a different answer in a potential date. Maybe she wants to date people who are connected more into mainstream political reporting?

Z0re on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

okcupidred.jpg

She may have marked her answer/desired answer as a different level of importance than you. I believe that will mark an answer as red even though it's the same answer choice.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    A misclick would make sense. I didn't know that level of importance could trigger a flag though.

On an unrelated note, it's interesting to look at a profile that seems pretty good, and then see on the similar users bar several that are "more desiring of sex." yesplease

Edit: Never mind, one of them is "full-figured" and the other is 35...

Cervetus on
  • Options
    HikkinsHikkins Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, I don't know what's changed over the last week, but all of a sudden after absolutely no effort, everybody suddenly wants a piece.

So, to back things up a bit - a few months ago I had a pretty shitty experience with a girl I met online, who lead me on for a month before dropping me for some other guy. Since then I've not really been reaching out to anyone for dates, and in that time nobody has got in touch with me either. I've basically been in a bit of a drought.

Then out of the blue I've been contacted by 5 different women this week. 4 of whom are actually attractive, and 2 of them don't come across as illiterate morons. SCORE!

I'm finding myself amazed right now as to how quickly things can turn around.

Hikkins on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So anyone have tips on how to write Ice Breaking messages. I don't want to repeat what my profile says (Rob_Gamer) but I do want to make it pop to this girl. She's cute, nerdy, put 360 down as things she couldn't live without and has a fascination with zombie films.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    do you wanna talk zombie survival strategies sometime?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    hey guys, which one of the two pictures on my profile should i use as the main image, the most recent or the half a year old one? or should i just burn them all and start again?

http://www.plentyoffish.com/member18809377.htm

Both are fine, Doctor.

(You are totally David Tennant.)

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    So anyone have tips on how to write Ice Breaking messages. I don't want to repeat what my profile says (Rob_Gamer) but I do want to make it pop to this girl. She's cute, nerdy, put 360 down as things she couldn't live without and has a fascination with zombie films.

I don't have any specific suggestions other than no "hi"s or "what's up"s or "sup dawg"s or the like. It should be substantial in length but not too substantial because then you look pathetic. I recommend three sentences. I don't recommend compliments or references to her appearance in general. Reference something that she wrote but don't be obvious about it because most people probably reference something that she wrote and it's tiring.

Anyway, the real reason I replied was to question why you're so concerned about finding somebody else who plays video games. I mean, you can look for whatever you want. It's up to you. But it just seems odd to me.

I like video games as much as the next guy but it never occurred to me to find a gal who shares my passion for Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. For me, video games is a solo affair. Or if I had male friends and I was younger than I am, I might play video games with them. And I play TF2 online so I guess that's technically with other people. Over the internet, anyway.

But I like doing different things with women. I like going to the cinema with them and having meals with them and some stuff I'll tell you about when you're older. Video games are nowhere on the list.

So genuinely, are you looking for somebody to play X-Box or whatever with? As like a date? Do people do that? Video game dates? And there are women who are up for this? And these are actually successful dates?

I mean, I only have a PS2 but say I find somebody who agrees to play Tomb Raider: Legend with me. I don't even know if it's a two-player game. Probably isn't. I've never played it but I have it because it came with the system. But do you think this could lead to real-life copulation? Well, Lara Croft might be more for me. But for her, we could play some Hitman 2 or FIFA 2005. I never played those either but the cover of Hitman 2 has a muscular man on it and women like "football" players, I guess. So those might get her going.

I know a guy (online) who brought a girl he met on the internet to an arcade. From his description, it was clear that she was bored out of her mind. I'm pretty sure there was no second date. And I have no idea what he was thinking when he brought a date to an arcade (I think they were both in their late 20s).

So I'm genuinely interested. Do people do this? Video game dates? You say she's a nerd but do even nerd girls play video games on dates? What other video game stuff could you do? Video game conventions? That's all I can think of. Is there any amorous cosplay a possibility? Like she'd dress up as Mai Shiranui and I could dress as...I don't know...Walugi. Let me know, I'm fascinated by this. You're not exactly the first guy here to mention that he's looking for a gal who likes video games.

LearnedHand on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Honestly, I get messages from lots of girls who want to play online with guys who seem nice. Hell, I just got one girl from Atlanta who wants my PSN name. Now, I don't play a lot of Call of Duty or such but I've got a few that will play You Don't Know Jack, LittleBigPlanet, and other games like that.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think you're analyzing it too much from the early dating stage where every meet-up is a discrete date and not enough from the "going steady" period where you just sort of spend an assload of time together. You know, when she's also your friend and you just hang out as much as you be romantic with each other.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's not so much a matter of "video game dates," but that you may find less friction in a relationship where your significant other shares one of your major interests. If only because she's that much less likely to ever ask you "why do you play so many damn videogames?"

I had a buddy who met a girl online who was into videogames. When they went on dates they did normal date shit. But they also had two computers set up in their offices, and would hang out and play MMOs together from time to time (or both play different games and still bullshit back and forth). It can make gaming a less solo affair. She'd also genuinely enjoy picking up an instrument when he had friends over to play Rock Band; not in an "oh this is silly but fun I guess" way, but really into it just like everybody else.

Or, alternately, if you're not living together seeing your SO online can be an opportunity to chat or (to some extent) spend time "together." Having a girlfriend who you might actually see on Live, and might actually join in a game of CoD, would be pretty sweet.

Plus, in the medium-long term, you will eventually have to integrate your lives together; if gaming is a major interest in your life, this will definitely make it easier.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I guess. Personally, it never occurred to me to play video games with a girlfriend, though. And I never lived with any girlfriend but I can't imagine playing video games being a problem.

LearnedHand on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Most of the girls I have dated where more causal gamers than I was but they might jam out some tunes on Guitar Hero (had one who got 92% Expert on Fire and Flames) and I've even dated a girl who played WoW which made me look not so geeky as I don't play. But I do like to do other things like go to the beach, bowl, watch movies, ect. that other people do too.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty much a solo gamer, but dating other gamers/nerds is nice because they at least get the draw of nerdy goodliness like video games and nerdy tv shows. My bf doesn't really play a lot of video games (he has a fun one on his ipad) but he's nerdy enough to 'get' the draw of video games for me.

ihmmy on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I met someone off of the 'Cupid a month or so ago, and things are going great! She's funny, fun and sweet and does all kinds of things that I'm not into but can appreciate. If there was a Venn diagram of us it would involve multiple sets.

I am a lucky asshole and hope you jerks will be too.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    do think this picture is too much? i'm wanting another recent outdoors picture and this one of the few "good" ones i have, its a still form a recent project, im reaaaally not sure about the gun so im wondering if either i should:

A: upload it as is with an explanation as to wtf is going on.

B: crop the the gun out but explain why the colour is like it is.

or C: trash it.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8871/70sgrindhouselook.jpg (forgot to resize it but this is pretty much it)

also whats the jazz on using the same picture twice but you have a different expression in each.. yay or nay? it looked weird having it but after uploading some other pictures its not as weird..

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Caption: "Where's the bomb? WHERE'S THE BOMB?!!"

In context or the wrong (right?) context it could work.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    yeah i was totally saying that at any chance i got during that day. :lol:

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm not into guns that much but you look badass there so I say keep it.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    HikkinsHikkins Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dude, that is a fucking sweet picture. Keep it. I also second the recommendation to add a funny caption.

Hikkins on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    after setting up all the new photos the number of hotties who have viewed my profile as almost doubled, still no messages yet tho. :? altho i did have two chat windows pop up last night but they went all weird, didnt know wtf was going on (first time its happened) and chrome no-likely popups.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hikkins wrote: »
    Dude, that is a fucking sweet picture. Keep it. I also second the recommendation to add a funny caption.

i've put it up but i dont think ill use the caption, as awesome as it is, not sure the reference would get through.. opted for an explanation on what was going on and how its a prop.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Edit: Never mind, one of them is "full-figured"

Oh, heaven forbid.

Re: gamers looking to date gamers. It is a matter of wanting to be with someone you can do things with further into the relationship. Not to humor LH too much, but the anecdote about the friend taking a date to the arcade... sounds like he simply misjudged his date. You don't take a non-geek, non-gamer girl to an arcade date. But if you know you're taking out a geek girl, it would be a great idea.

riz on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    this thread is a hilarious combination of 'why doesn't anyone message me!!?'

and

'this person doesn't fit my exacting specifications'

I'm guilty of it too but it's pretty funny

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    So I met someone off of the 'Cupid a month or so ago, and things are going great! She's funny, fun and sweet and does all kinds of things that I'm not into but can appreciate. If there was a Venn diagram of us it would involve multiple sets.

I am a lucky asshole and hope you jerks will be too.

:^:

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Zombie girl looked at my profile, said nothing, and now I move on.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    riz wrote: »
    Edit: Never mind, one of them is "full-figured"

Oh, heaven forbid.

I thought this was a judgement-free zone!
    this thread is a hilarious combination of 'why doesn't anyone message me!!?'

and

'this person doesn't fit my exacting specifications'

I'm guilty of it too but it's pretty funny

...yes.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hah. It's okay, I click away from skinny guys or those under 5'7. The whole relationship thing is a very annoying game of finding someone who falls within your own weird combination of standards who happens to have standards that you fall within too.

riz on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    that's why everyone is so finicky online

you meet a guy, he's cute, he's funny, after a date or two he pulls out a cigarette and you think 'well he's got a great personality, maybe I can let this slide for now'

you look at someone's profile and see smoker/skinny/not skinny enough/religious/not religious and immediately NOPE!!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I've been feeling the reverse of that, too. I've seen a lot of cool girls who happen to be older, which doesn't bother me at all, but they say they're looking for men older than me. I guess I could still try to message them, but I haven't yet.

Cervetus on