As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

school is for pretentious assholes

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Next semester I'm going to try my damndest to only have writing and history classes. Living the dream.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I don't even think most of these are about archaeology

halfway through this page about the mayan collapse I start detailing a plan to seize control of the city's water supply

Haha! Oh God...

But yeah, that is frustrating when you go back and you are like "What the hell?!"

Usually I at least have a vague idea of what I was talking about but sometimes I can tell when I was starting to drift off during class as my writing gets really huge and sloppy.

Sassori on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    holy shit Viscount I went to school right down the street from UMass (like three miles down the street but w/e)

stay away from Amherst College math classes they are stupid hard and they've been teaching them the same way for a hundred years, only now you're allowed to program individual problems in Matlab rather than writing them all out by hand

Cool!

And I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sal wrote: »
    School thread regulars may recall my mentioning that I had a 25-page paper due in a month... well, exactly one month ago

It was due today and coming into this weekend I only had 7 pages done

With a focus of an intensity only matched by that of my previous laziness, I buckled down and wrote the rest of it over the past four days

In fact, I ended up writing 32 pages instead of 25

That may explain why last night was an all nighter

But I just submitted it (an hour before the deadline!) and it feels like a great weight has been lifted off of my shoulders
    I do this, but then I never actually complete the assignment (or do it very late). I'm kind of retarded.

Coinage on
  • Options
    Stay PuftStay Puft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sassori wrote: »
    Usually I at least have a vague idea of what I was talking about but sometimes I can tell when I was starting to drift off during class as my writing gets really huge and sloppy.

This and strange caricatures of the professor and/or a classmate are sure signs I will get almost nothing out of the notes I took during that period of a class.

Stay Puft on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For the history classes I took, I started the habit of writing any dates the professor gave in the left margin of my notes so I could easily keep track of when stuff happened when looking through my notes (while also making it much easier to write up a timeline in preparation for a test, which I found to be the best way for me to study).

Probably the only good study habit I developed in college, the rest was just me being lucky enough to be able to quickly absorb information and retain it long enough to take the test.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Stay Puft wrote: »

This and strange caricatures of the professor and/or a classmate are sure signs I will get almost nothing out of the notes I took during that period of a class.

I always feel an urge to doodle when I'm bored but I can't doodle worth a damn.

And it makes me sad.

Sassori on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Peccavi wrote: »
    For the history classes I took, I started the habit of writing any dates the professor gave in the left margin of my notes so I could easily keep track of when stuff happened when looking through my notes (while also making it much easier to write up a timeline in preparation for a test, which I found to be the best way for me to study).

Probably the only good study habit I developed in college, the rest was just me being lucky enough to be able to quickly absorb information and retain it long enough to take the test.

I do the same thing. I found it especially helpful if I decided to quote something a professor said during a lecture in a paper for another class.

Can I just say how much I love footnotes? It's going to make this paper due tomorrow a bit easier to deal with. But the paper on Thursday has to be in goddamn MLA.

Bah.

Sassori on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    when each class requires a different citation format

that makes me angry

sometimes I wonder why the intellectual community can't just sit down and compromise and make one form the standard for all disciplines

then I remember the world I live in is a deeply flawed one

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I always feel an urge to doodle when I'm bored but I can't doodle worth a damn.

And it makes me sad.

That's the beauty of it, though, you don't have to be any good at it. It just makes for an interesting time later when you're studying and you end up trying to figure out just what the hell you were trying to draw instead.

Stay Puft on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

halfway through this page about the mayan collapse I start detailing a plan to seize control of the city's water supply

I think this is a sign you're going to forgo all chances at a real career to become a Mayan-themed supervillain.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »

I think this is a sign you're going to forgo all chances at a real career to become a Mayan-themed supervillain.

Hahahahahaha

Are you taking courses on archaeology Dichotomy?

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    when I was younger I always thought I'd become a supervillain, but I didn't take the right courses in high school to get into the mad sciences

the economy's shot that potential career path to hell anyways
    do you know what the rent is on a volcano lair these days

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Volcano lairs are old news anyway, the industry standard these days is underground bunkers.

Stay Puft on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My law school, much like the majority of American public colleges/universities/professional schools, does professor reviews at the end of the semester.

I wrote the following on a particularly awful professor's review yesterday:

I'd write something constructive but he has tenure, so what's the point?

Then I gave him the lowest marks possible for all of the objective questions.

Only one more class left with the man and then I never have to see him again....

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    when I was younger I always thought I'd become a supervillain, but I didn't take the right courses in high school to get into the mad sciences

I would love to be taken to someone's lair.

And then I could take it over. My lair now.

Mine.

Sassori on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Volcano lairs are old news anyway, the industry standard these days is underground bunkers.

I prefer the classic submarine base

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I dunno about you guys but my secret underwater crashed spaceship works wonders for my villainous plots

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Mine.

someone has never taken a course on the etiquette of super-crime

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the moon is a really up and coming place in supercriminal real estate

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Mine.

someone has never taken a course on the etiquette of super-crime

Nope. I just stole the certificate that they passed out at the end.

And I took the certificates of everyone else who was enrolled in the class.

Sassori on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    nealcm wrote: »

I'd be too afraid of messing with Dracula

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »

I'd be too afraid of messing with Dracula

up here we actually have an agreement! it is pretty great, he hypnotizes all our henchmen, thugs, lackeys, stooges and what have you in exchange for... well, best not to discuss that

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A secret base on the moon? You'd have to be a lunartic to have one of those!

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    A secret base on the moon? You'd have to be a lunartic to have one of those!

two drums and a cymbal fall off a cliff

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i love both of you equally

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does that mean my joke was a smashing success?

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    yes

i am quite happy with it

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

To be a villain you don't need science or wealth.

All you need is the will to dominate.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    but to be a successful villain you need to acquire science or wealth

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    no supervillain ever pulled himself up by his bootstraps

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    just do what the guy from gargoyles did

send an expensive ancient coin you bought back in time to the illuminati with instructions to give that coin to your younger self 1000 years later so he could sell it and make his wealth starting his company

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

send an expensive ancient coin you bought back in time to the illuminati with instructions to give that coin to your younger self 1000 years later so he could sell it and make his wealth starting his company

But now he's a good guy.

Thus defeating your point.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »

But now he's a good guy.

Thus defeating your point.

when i watched it he was a bad guy!

dichotomy never said he couldn't have a change of heart if he became a supervillain!

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AMP'd wrote: »

Bah! Bah I say to such claims. Your focusing on limits.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »
    AMP'd wrote: »

Bah! Bah I say to such claims. Your focusing on limits.

You're not focusing on proper word usage.

Some supervillain you are. How can you be expected to monologue like that?

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Elijah Price used his knowledge of comic books to become a supervillain, clearly it is within reach of anyone on SE++.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Elijah Price used his knowledge of comic books to become a supervillain, clearly it is within reach of anyone on SE++.

yeah but he also had a crazy disability.

everyone knows crazy disabilities give you awesome powers.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Riale wrote: »

yeah but he also had a crazy disability.

everyone knows crazy disabilities give you awesome powers.

And he also had a pretty cool/insulting nickname. Which presumably he adopts as his supervillain nom de plume.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    my physics II lab final was uh
    bewilderingly easy

there was a matching section
    which consisted entirely of SI units
    no circuits complex enough to require Kirchhoff's Rules
    the optics section consisted of drawing a ray diagram for a converging lens with objects inside and outside the focal point
    and uh, computing resistivity from a graph of current vs. voltage given diameter and length of the wire

I'm happy
    but bewildered

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.