As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Minecraft] Beta testers at war

• Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I am not too keen on them myself, then again I wasn't so keen on the way villagers looked either.

Just fiddled with an anvil, they are affected by gravity and make clang when they are placed and hit the ground (think they're different clangs too). Might try making a clock with it or something, a dong at noon or something. Not sure if pistons work on them yet.

EDIT: Seems it will cause damage based on distance when falling too.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Oh bah, the modding API got pushed back? Boo. Though, by the time all of the mods are updated so I can update to 1.4 1.5 will probably be out and maybe the API will be in that!

• Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Empirical wrote: »
    I am not too keen on them myself, then again I wasn't so keen on the way villagers looked either.

Just fiddled with an anvil, they are affected by gravity and make clang when they are placed and hit the ground (think they're different clangs too). Might try making a clock with it or something, a dong at noon or something. Not sure if pistons work on them yet.

EDIT: Seems it will cause damage based on distance when falling too.

Yup, that sounds like typical Emp. You need to make sure to construct on or coming out of a mountain. Actually, you need to herd some cats to build it for you for it to be in true tyrannical fashion.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    No he delegates the cat herding out to other people, then complains. :P

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Ah, Reid and Zan, you guys know me well. Glad someone caught the dong reference.

Seeing how to apply the anvils feature to NAW will be interesting. I have no idea what the hell the point is for the poisonous potato. I can only assume something will be added for it later.

I would like it more if the tool tip said potato and it was only slightly different visually from the normal variant.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    4iGW9.png

Anyone found a use for the new repeater mechanic? Not quite sure what to do with it.

Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    So is there any N@W stuff happening? Anybody from the old group wanna try a new server or something? All I keep thinking about is how awesome a hybrid S1/S2 N@W server would be with all the new additions to the game. Plus I wanna rage over internet legos with you bastards again.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Hey Doc! Word on the N@W site is they're going into indefinite hibernation. S2 maps should be available for download at some point in the nearish future. I'd be interested in a new server too, haven't even touched Minecraft in months and I'm feeling the itch again.

Mighty has advertised a PVP server here, I tried to check it out a while ago but it seemed to be down. Sounds pretty nifty tho.
    Mighty wrote: »
    Hey guys, me and some friends of mine have created a hardcore minecraft PvP server, and I figured you gents might like to pop in and have a look about/ murder each other.

Some things to note in the server are:

1) mobs are tougher. if you see a mob on fire that isn't taking damage, that's a mob lord! he's faster, stronger, and tougher to kill. but he drops 6x the loot, and may drop rare gear
    1a) if you see a mob with potion swirls, hes a super mob, not as tough as a lord, but 3x Xp and still has better drops.

2) there are catacombs in the war zone to explore and loot. the catacombs operate differently then other minecraft areas, for instance, hidden passages are found by tapping the walls, and blocks cant be broken in side them.

3) running while wearing armor affects your hunger. the better the armor, the more hunger it takes.

4) Dying means a 3 day ban. be cautious out there! lives negate the ban

5) theres a reference system in place! if you get friends to come in, and /ref by (yourname) you get a diamond, 4th one gets you a life.

The server can be found at smp.wcminecraft.com and the website with more detailed plugin explanations is at wcminecraft.com

Inside the spoiler is a picture of our spawn castle!
    vCd5I.jpg

Fleeb on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    That's funny. I've had the minecraft itch lately too, but it seems while it's like the most popular game in the world right now, most of the PA people have moved on, which makes sense. We know about these games way quicker than the general public. Does anyone have a server going right now? We did have a steam server for awhile called the crafty crab, but I think it's down now too? I never even played N@W. I'd mostly just be interested in a normal survival server.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    That's funny. I've had the minecraft itch lately too, but it seems while it's like the most popular game in the world right now, most of the PA people have moved on, which makes sense. We know about these games way quicker than the general public. Does anyone have a server going right now? We did have a steam server for awhile called the crafty crab, but I think it's down now too? I never even played N@W. I'd mostly just be interested in a normal survival server.

The se++ server is still chugging along, rules are here and most of them are self explanatory. Its basically a standard survival server, no pvp but it does have invasions which are like PvE group events, though they are optional.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Can I just say how much I love Dynmap? So simple. So cool.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Next generation Underdark is a thing that needs to happen. Last time I talked to Emp, the project had been handed off. Who's working on it now? If N@W is on hiatus, I'm sure a lot of PA crew here would jump on a new Underdark. The last one was actually where I met some of you.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Next generation Underdark is a thing that needs to happen. Last time I talked to Emp, the project had been handed off. Who's working on it now? If N@W is on hiatus, I'm sure a lot of PA crew here would jump on a new Underdark. The last one was actually where I met some of you.

This would be enough to get me playing vanilla again. So hard.

• Options
    edited November 2012

I had attempted to start trying to create a new underdark as a test, but even simply trying to make a small portion of what a full underdark would be was incredibly time intensive. I ended up just giving up since even with a group of people who knew how to use voxel sniper and world edit the time commitment would be enormous. Compounding that you then have performance issues to deal with stemming from the huge amount of mobs that are generated in a map like that and with it the expensive hosting that is needed to counteract it and even that still doesn't solve a lot of your problems.

As much as I would like to see a new underdark the odds of it coming back are slim at this point.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'd be happy if we just had a normal map with a very basic spawn point. Let the people create what they want. Another Columbia or something would be cool, but at this point I'd just like to build with you guys again.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    AlwaysNewDepthsAlwaysNewDepths Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

It's happening, progress is slow since it's a two man operation. With me doing some redstone circuits/dungeons. I've seen the progress on the map so far and it is promising. One of the things talked about now is economy balance. It won't be entirely vanilla because some mechanics will be changed, such as ore rarity, amount of food in a stack, etc. I may ask the map devs if I can take a couple screens to give you guys a taste.

AlwaysNewDepths on
  • Options

It's happening, progress is slow since it's a two man operation. With me doing some redstone circuits/dungeons. I've seen the progress on the map so far and it is promising. One of the things talked about now is economy balance. It won't be entirely vanilla because some mechanics will be changed, such as ore rarity, amount of food in a stack, etc. I may ask the map devs if I can take a couple screens to give you guys a taste.

That is awesome, you guys should definitely be teasing it in here.

Are you guys aiming for the map to be 256 or 128 height? Also I am interested in what method you used to generate a base map, my results tended to be sub-par and I am curious to see how yours worked out.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I actually would prefer an Underdark that wasn't so pre-filled with interesting stuff as the previous one was. One of the coolest things in the previous Underdark was LumberIce and basically everything in that place was user generated.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    The only thing I didn't like about Underdark was that, as each new area was added, everyone would up and move the entirety of civilization to the new place, leaving the old to rot.

Which was sad.

Living in the Underdark, however, was fucking amazing.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Three things:

1) NAW, all of us on the admin team are busy as all hell so it's going into hibernation for a bit but we fully intend to beat that horse for at least one more season once we get some spare time.

2) Guys from NAW (some PA, some not) are currently mucking about on HeroCraft, mostly just to screw around: http://forum.nationsatwar.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6075

3) I know Zehb (as he said above) and Tybi are doing some work on the UD, I have people in mind to call on to work on it with (as well as them) as soon as I have time. One way or another we're getting another.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    Empirical wrote: »
    Three things:

1) NAW, all of us on the admin team are busy as all hell so it's going into hibernation for a bit but we fully intend to beat that horse for at least one more season once we get some spare time.

2) Guys from NAW (some PA, some not) are currently mucking about on HeroCraft, mostly just to screw around: http://forum.nationsatwar.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6075

3) I know Zehb (as he said above) and Tybi are doing some work on the UD, I have people in mind to call on to work on it with (as well as them) as soon as I have time. One way or another we're getting another.

3) I would say Tybi and Scarface, I haven't done much honestly.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Houn wrote: »
    The only thing I didn't like about Underdark was that, as each new area was added, everyone would up and move the entirety of civilization to the new place, leaving the old to rot.

Which was sad.

Which is exactly why I think its a waste to design fanciful architecture all over the map, since people will just up and move to a new area whenever they feel like it. Much better to just let people organically move stuff wherever they want, and once an area is obsolete, no big deal because only individual player time went into creating it, and it had its day, rather than the creator of the map being all bummed out that his super awesome stalagmite fortress was empty after 2 months.

My first experience on the Underdark was as one of the first builders/residents of LumberIce - anyone remember the town hall or the big LumberIce sign? The town hall was a joint project with...umm..very sorrybut I forget who. And the sign was a solo project by me - not too sure how well received it was at the time as it was fairly ostentatious but it looked good I think.

The co-operative building game was just wonderful and one of my favourite multiplayer moments in any game.

And I would LOVE to have that kind of experience again, so if I can help with the Underdark in ANY way please let me know!

Dhalphir on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Which was sad.

Which is exactly why I think its a waste to design fanciful architecture all over the map, since people will just up and move to a new area whenever they feel like it. Much better to just let people organically move stuff wherever they want, and once an area is obsolete, no big deal because only individual player time went into creating it, and it had its day, rather than the creator of the map being all bummed out that his super awesome stalagmite fortress was empty after 2 months.

My first experience on the Underdark was as one of the first builders/residents of LumberIce - anyone remember the town hall or the big LumberIce sign? The town hall was a joint project with...umm..very sorrybut I forget who. And the sign was a solo project by me - not too sure how well received it was at the time as it was fairly ostentatious but it looked good I think.

The co-operative building game was just wonderful and one of my favourite multiplayer moments in any game.

And I would LOVE to have that kind of experience again, so if I can help with the Underdark in ANY way please let me know!

I don't get where you're getting this thinking from but there aren't that many architectural structures on the map meant to be inhabited. Any structures on the map are just to add flavor to the lore/atmosphere and excitement to exploration. Sure people may fix a ruin up and inhabit them, but I don't think anyone is expecting them to. Part of the focus is to reward players for exploring as it will be more challenging to do so than in the original UD. Therefore building a settlement may present a small challange in itself.

AlwaysNewDepths on
  • Options
    I was thinking more along the lines of the mushrooms in Underdark 1's spawn area. Not many people got to see them outside spawning because everyone just teleported to newer areas to play.

• Options
    Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    You should just put the teleporters on the other side of the mushrooms then.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Man, I loved my house in LumberIce. I built that observation dome on the ceiling, just outside of town, over the frozen lake, and had my lab and farms and everything carved out in the rock above the town, with a couple little balconies to look out from. Secret door entrance was on the far side of town, hidden in plain sight. Even ran across an old tunnel of someone else's that had been blocked up, that ran right to the roof of the town hall, so I could spy on the town from there.

Awesome.

• Options
    Lumbrice was cool, always amused by that place. Vic wanted to actually make the UD a bit harder, such as no warps and such. I think I'm in favor of that route, once the warps went down in the last UD people started making roads. It was interesting, personally I preferred traveling by cave still. Was also fun just knowing the lay of the land, the only place I can't find is the location of the Old Core, missed out on the beginning of that so I never got to see the path.

Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    I miss my big watery glass library sphere base in the ceiling of Lumberice.

Claiming the ice cave from the wilderness was my introduction to the UD and one of my favourite projects ever. I seem to recall talks on IRC months ago about making the new UD much more hostile with fewer conveniences like teleporting, which would likely make randomly expanding much more difficult.

Man, I would play this again like a shot. Like. A. Shot.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    This game needs to get cheaper than $27.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Favorite/Most hated story: The taking of "Fuck You Cave"... fuck that cave man.

Fairly sure that is Vic's favorite as well, since it basically embodied part of where he wanted to take the UD in terms of difficulty.

Used to be about 10USD, best $10 I ever spent.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    One of the coolest gaming moments of my life was when the ice cave was first opened, skating through the blackness while dodging spiders and creepers, lighting the way with redstone torches, seeing the giant creepers looking up at us from under the ice. And finally finding the central island with the seal... awesome. Awesome memories.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    I'm sure there is still a lot of work that needs doing, but is there any chance of an update of sorts? I think there are plenty of people reading this thread who would be willing to contribute if help was needed. I kind of miss coming up with new and exciting ways to make life miserable for the unwary explorer...

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Just a taste, I got more screens than this :P
    m1Ne7.png
    gmVWC.png
    Tybi says he'll have a website soon. There will probably be two kinds of involvement.
    Submitting something small like a schematic of vegetation or a ruin and it may make it into the map, or you can submit or show something big like your vision of a themed area. If you want to get invovled heavily you'll probably want to do the latter option.

AlwaysNewDepths on
  • Options
    I remember talking about a UD texture pack, though I don't how many guys have an skills in that area. Things like re-skinning pigs as naked-mole rats.

Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    I am completely new to any kind of Minecraft content creation - but if somebody was willing to PM me a crash course in schematic creation, I would totally be up for designing schematics of things given a little overall design direction

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So I'm brand new to Minecraft... it was gifted to me by a Secret Santa, who has challenged me to bring him 10 diamonds.

What's the best way to do that? Just start digging like crazy? That's what the wiki suggests.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So I'm brand new to Minecraft... it was gifted to me by a Secret Santa, who has challenged me to bring him 10 diamonds.

What's the best way to do that? Just start digging like crazy? That's what the wiki suggests.

Dig down to lava areas explore caves around there. Also you're going to need an iron pickax. So make your stone pickax, find some iron, make a few iron ones and go diamond hunting.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Around 64 blocks deep you'll hit an unmineable material called bedrock. I think diamonds appear within around 8 layers of that layer. That's also around where lava pools appear in great frequency.

Happy hunting.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    64?! cripes.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293