As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Surprise, motherfucker. [DEXTER] is returning. Yay?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So I seem to be hearing positive things about the premiere

Everyone I know was pretty down on season five, I'm only about five eps into it but I'm really enjoying it honestly. The only thing I don't give a shit about is Batista and Maria.

But then, I've liked most of the show, including season three which everyone also seems to be down on. In fact I think it's fair to say that season one is probably my least favorite season (I really had to power through the first few episodes and I still hate the twist of that season)

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So I seem to be hearing positive things about the premiere

Everyone I know was pretty down on season five, I'm only about five eps into it but I'm really enjoying it honestly. The only thing I don't give a shit about is Batista and Maria.

But then, I've liked most of the show, including season three which everyone also seems to be down on. In fact I think it's fair to say that season one is probably my least favorite season (I really had to power through the first few episodes and I still hate the twist of that season)

Season two is my least favorite (too much contrivance), but it's one of the more popular seasons, while I liked three and five. That said, bad Dexter is still better than 90% of other television.

Interesting what important parts of Dexter's life they chose for the previouslies in this episode.

Also, this episode had my in my seat for the start of Homeland, and I'm grateful for that, if only to see
    naked Morena Baccarin.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    "Dexter is better than 90% of television" has been said 4-5 times through this thread... I'm not disagreeing, just don't understand why people have to make up statistics to support the claim, that no one's refuting, that Dexter is a good television show.

But I guess 45% of all stats are made up anyway.

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone that has said that actually means it as statistical evidence.

• Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    Then why say it at all?

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say Dexter is better than 90% of other shows

The whole premise is pretty corny and contrived. I honestly look at the show as a guilty pleasure rather than a legitimately good show. But that's fine!

Also yeah, season two is my favorite, though honestly? Season two's plot devices should have been switched around to make it the eventual last season. I fucking loved Doakes and I wanted him to be the one that finally caught Dexter.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Dexter is like True Blood to me and my wife. With these two shows we're never going to discuss character development and the quality of the writing like we would after watching The Wire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, The Sopranos, etc., but there's not another show on TV(including the aforementioned ones) that have evoked the same can't get enough must watch the new episode as soon as it premieres feeling of these two shows.

They're just so damn compelling. Both of us had the same feelings about season 5 that most had, that it wasn't amazing but probably just suffered from following the Trinity character, but we both really like the potential of this season after the premiere. I like that they aren't taking their time building up to showing 'the bad guys' strike. They're just jumping right in.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Really good, though the introduction of
    Batista's sister
    was pretty clunky with the exposition.

I loved
    Dexter finding out that he's popular. His dad was so proud!
    Yeah, at first I thought that Angel bought the apartment next to Dexters, and I assumed that was going to cause fun times with Angel hanging out all the time and Dexter constantly trying to ditch him.

I laughed out loud when Dexter was playing football and Harry was on the sidelines shouting "Come on Dexter, let's go" like a coach or over-involved parent.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    Dexter is great, even when people say blah blah so and so season wasn't so good.. chances are it was still pretty damn good.

About the premier loved it, not completely sold on the Hanks/Olmos characters yet, I have no idea what their "message" means, I'm guessing more of that is going to be revealed next week. One thing that kinda annoys me on Showtime so far is the "Lost" effect, where they fill compelled to show 10 different promos before and after the show comes on.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Minor speculation:
    I'm calling it right now. Deb gets made Lt. from shooting that guy in the restaurant and for PR reasons, Laguerta makes her Lt. over Batista

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I was really happy that Laguerta was not fucking Super Old Guy, because I was getting some serious squicks there for a moment.

But yeah, great episode, great show. Can't wait to see Commander Adama murder the fuck out of people.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Really good, though the introduction of
    Batista's sister
    was pretty clunky with the exposition.

I loved
    Dexter finding out that he's popular. His dad was so proud!
    agree on the first bit, the dinner scene was so strange too.

also I wish they had done just a little bit more with the second point. I loved him realizing he was popular, talking with his dad, but all they got out of it was 'being a blood spatter analyst is less of a job and more of a calling'. I guess they did have more important things to do in the episode but I was ready for a hilarious montage

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote:
    Minor speculation:
    I'm calling it right now. Deb gets made Lt. from shooting that guy in the restaurant and for PR reasons, Laguerta makes her Lt. over Batista
    this is possible. the scene where he announced he was celebrating with his sister made me think something bad was going to come of it. I felt better when he said it was already in the works, but it's not DONE yet. also it gives that scene more purpose than just showing us batista and his sister interacting

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I don't get why they're so focused on Batista to begin with. They never follow through on any of his storylines (spoiler for next season: his sister disappears and is never mentioned again) and he just isn't an interesting character.

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Just saw the premiere. Did not impress.
    None of it really grabbed me. In particular, there was setup for several storylines (Maria's promotion, Angel and his sister, Quinn proposing to Debra) that all seem like they'll be as dull as Maria and Angel's was last season. I was pleasantly surprised to see Olmos show up, but so far he looks like he'll just be a crazy religious killer with one or more followers. Dexter versus serial killer(s) isn't exactly an exciting new premise, and the religion gimmick won't make up for that.

I think what really disappointed me is that I loved the very beginning. When they started off with Dexter at a botched kill site, forced to call an ambulance, I was truly impressed. I was looking forward to seeing how he got there, how he would explain himself, what had happened to his intended target, etc. And then all that went away and it became one of his shoddiest kills ever. Similarly, when the high school guy managed to fight back briefly I perked up, thinking they might be doing an arc about a victim managing to escape. But no, it was just an excuse for Dexter to do his version of the football song.

It wasn't a terrible episode, and I enjoyed some of the comedic bits, like the two hammer time jokes, but overall it didn't draw me in. Unlike most episodes of Dexter, where the credits leave me itching to see the next one now now now, I feel like I'd have no trouble waiting a few weeks this time before I bother catching up on the show.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Invisible wrote:
    I don't get why they're so focused on Batista to begin with. They never follow through on any of his storylines (spoiler for next season: his sister disappears and is never mentioned again) and he just isn't an interesting character.
    They can't get rid of her, Batista hasn't had sex with her yet.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote:
    Invisible wrote:

Yeah honestly there is some creepy chemistry going on between those two. O_o

• Options
    GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Variable wrote:
    Bedigunz wrote:
    Minor speculation:
    this is possible. the scene where he announced he was celebrating with his sister made me think something bad was going to come of it. I felt better when he said it was already in the works, but it's not DONE yet. also it gives that scene more purpose than just showing us batista and his sister interacting
    I think you're mostly right, but I think it'll be Laguerta's boss that makes the move. Then we get to revisit the Laguerta/Deb antagonism again, yay!

Gosprey on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    can't touch this

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Cantide wrote:
    None of it really grabbed me. In particular, there was setup for several storylines (Maria's promotion, Angel and his sister, Quinn proposing to Debra) that all seem like they'll be as dull as Maria and Angel's was last season. I was pleasantly surprised to see Olmos show up, but so far he looks like he'll just be a crazy religious killer with one or more followers. Dexter versus serial killer(s) isn't exactly an exciting new premise, and the religion gimmick won't make up for that.

I think what really disappointed me is that I loved the very beginning. When they started off with Dexter at a botched kill site, forced to call an ambulance, I was truly impressed. I was looking forward to seeing how he got there, how he would explain himself, what had happened to his intended target, etc. And then all that went away and it became one of his shoddiest kills ever. Similarly, when the high school guy managed to fight back briefly I perked up, thinking they might be doing an arc about a victim managing to escape. But no, it was just an excuse for Dexter to do his version of the football song.

It wasn't a terrible episode, and I enjoyed some of the comedic bits, like the two hammer time jokes, but overall it didn't draw me in. Unlike most episodes of Dexter, where the credits leave me itching to see the next one now now now, I feel like I'd have no trouble waiting a few weeks this time before I bother catching up on the show.

same, same.
    My main gripes with the premiere is that I think the series as a whole only has 1 real card left to play: dexter's secret being revealed to someone innocent and someone close. I thought that seasons 1 and 2 covered the whole "morality of a serial killer" pretty well, I can't see how a religiously themed murdering duo isn't going to go down the same path.
    That isn't to say that they can't do a reveal, but the way this show works is that they build up tension until 3 episodes before season's end and I would rather see more time and effort devoted to a discovered dexter.

other than that I still enjoy the show, I mean what else are we going to watch? two and a half men? big bang theory? hah.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote:
    Cantide wrote:

same, same.
    My main gripes with the premiere is that I think the series as a whole only has 1 real card left to play: dexter's secret being revealed to someone innocent and someone close. I thought that seasons 1 and 2 covered the whole "morality of a serial killer" pretty well, I can't see how a religiously themed murdering duo isn't going to go down the same path.
    That isn't to say that they can't do a reveal, but the way this show works is that they build up tension until 3 episodes before season's end and I would rather see more time and effort devoted to a discovered dexter.

other than that I still enjoy the show, I mean what else are we going to watch? two and a half men? big bang theory? hah.

Not sure if this speculation was posted here:
    Some people have suggested that Olmos is a Harry-like figure to Colin Hanks' character.

I'm seeing a parallel with season 1, anyway.
    Dexter is ecstatic when they find the fruit vendor, similar to how he responds when the Ice Truck Killer's first victim is located.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Toldo wrote:
    Not sure if this speculation was posted here:
    Some people have suggested that Olmos is a Harry-like figure to Colin Hanks' character.

You mean a
    dead guy that he sees anyway? That's an intriguing idea, but I just don't think so, if only because, so far, throughout the series, Dexter's the only person whose "mental life" is shown. I can't remember, we might see one of Deb's dreams, but that's it.

It would be crazy bugfuck insane if Olmos were imaginary but Dexter could see him.
    I'm seeing a parallel with season 1, anyway.
    Dexter is ecstatic when they find the fruit vendor, similar to how he responds when the Ice Truck Killer's first victim is located.

I noticed the same thing, and it looked good on Dexter again.
    It would be strange if they were specifically calling back to that, though, because they took almost nothing from the "previouslies" from Season 1.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Batista's sister
    I kept thinking it was weird how she kept displaying her body in every scene and the focus on Batista's religious background. So now I'm beginning to wonder if they didn't introduce her just so she can be a victim of the AO killers.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote:
    Batista's sister
    I kept thinking it was weird how she kept displaying her body in every scene and the focus on Batista's religious background. So now I'm beginning to wonder if they didn't introduce her just so she can be a victim of the AO killers.

Either that, or since it's an even-numbered season, they need an actress to take off her top multiple times for the season (Season 2 - Lila, Season 4 - Christine, Season 6 - ???).

‘Dexter’ Stalemate Between Michael C. Hall And Showtime Puts Show’s Future In Limbo
    EXCLUSIVE: Showtime’s flagship drama Dexter opened its sixth season on Sunday with a stellar 2.2 million viewers, up 24% from last year to mark the hit series’ highest-rated premiere ever and Showtime’s best original series opener in at least 14 years. But the prospects of the hit drama going to a seventh season are now uncertain as negotiations between Dexter star Michael C. Hall and Showtime have broken down. I hear that the two sides reached an impasse yesterday, the same day Dexter‘s big Season 6 premiere ratings came out. Hall’s contract for Dexter is up after the current sixth season, which is about to wrap production. He has been negotiating with Showtime for a while, but I hear talks broke down after the two sides couldn’t bridge a $4 million gap in proposed salary for a new deal, with Showtime offering $20 million for two more seasons and Hall’s team asking for $24 million. Either figure would make Hall one of the highest-paid actors in cable. Sources indicate that the network brass remain hopeful about reaching a deal, with signing Hall for one more season vs. two also an option. Hall jumped on Dexter immediately after finishing Six Feet Under and, after working on a TV series for 10 straight years, the actor had been looking to do other things, including a Broadway musical. He won a Golden Globe for his role on Dexter last year.

• Options
    I would be okay with them doing just one more season after this; I just wouldn't want them to end the series without a dedicated series end (as opposed to just ending the show with a random season finale).

• Options
    Apparition8Apparition8 Registered User regular
    OK, first off I love dexter and all the series have been great in one way or another, best tv in my opinion. But to cast Tom Hanks kid as the new main killer? All I see/hear is forrest gump. " life is like a box of candy". I hope he has the ability to over come the role his father did, but I just don't see it. Still love the show and will keep watching, he just does not fit a bad guy role for me. Anyone else feel the same?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Some of us have seen Colin Hanks in things other than Dexter. He was pretty good on The Good Guys.

Also, I thought he gave off a very creepy vibe. Personal opinion.

• Options
    Yes, having seen Jon Voigt in "Midnight Cowboy," I can only ever see his daughter Angelina Jolie wearing a stupid cowboy hat and trying to act like a giggolo. Because everybody knows that children are exactly the same as their parents!

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote:
    agoaj wrote:
    Invisible wrote:

Yeah honestly there is some creepy chemistry going on between those two. O_o

This is apparently a thing which is fairly common with siblings who are separated at childhood (which is what's happening here right? I'm just jumping in to this season).

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Angel has a sister now so we can have a parallel between Dex and Deb and those two. I liked the premiere, but I don't know if it was strong enough to keep me coming back and paying for Showtime rather than just buying Blu-Rays later. (I also hate it when Christianity is presented by the believers as "blind faith" as if there is no supporting evidence but I'm used to the TV mischaracterization.)
    The contract negotiations is another reason I might bail until Blu-Ray- if Dex ends without having been planned to end, I don't want to see that ending...

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Come on MCH, suck it up until there's a true ending

Take your $20 million and stfu

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    That's not Angel's sister, it's his niece. They talk about how Angel and her dad (his brother) are so much alike.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote:
    That's not Angel's sister, it's his niece. They talk about how Angel and her dad (his brother) are so much alike.

They flat out say that she's his sister.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    edit: wow. old post.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bionic ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMBionic ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRM Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Bionic ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRM on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote:

She's saying he's turned into THEIR dad.

• Options
    deadstickdeadstick Registered User regular
    Does anyone get the feeling that Olmos' character is Hanks' version of Harry? I just thought it odd that he waited in the car while the fruit vendor was killed.

Steam ID deadstick Battlelog D3ADST1CK
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Pretty much everyone in the SE thread, yes.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular

I wish I didn't watch that, because it makes me want to watch the second episode even less. I mean, after the premier was over I thought it was good but I didn't have that feeling of "OMG I HAVE TO SEE THE NEXT EPISODE RIGHT NOW!" Now, after watching that I'm like "Meh, I'll get to it when I get to it."

I don't like this!

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Definitely pretty underwhelmed by the premiere. Hammer time jokes were good though.

Honestly I don't think I'll ever be excited about Dexter again after that last finale, specifically Deb almost-but-not-quite finding out. Seemed to me that if it didn't happen in that scene it's never going to, which kind of ruins it for me.