As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Surprise, motherfucker. [DEXTER] is returning. Yay?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    crickets

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    It was there. It didn't feel like much really happened. Sure, it's building to something and there was nice comparison and contrast between the AO killer and Dexter; both have sisters and presumably
    Olmos is his Harry.

Masuka's assistant(intern?) is interesting and surprisingly competent. Feel like it's going to turn out bad for him, though (who knew being a creepy pervert in an office would turn out badly?). Going to get sued for sexual harassment or something.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Masuka is so getting played.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    aw man this season isnt going anywhere D:

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    I think there was a fair amount of character development for Dexter, and some setup for following episodes. The plot didn't move forward much, but I wouldn't say it was a bad episode.

sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Every once in a while a series that does 12 or 13 episode seasons will take a few episodes to build up to anything, and I always think they need to quit wasting precious time and get something going, but typically they pick things up and everything starts to come to a boil. I thought episode 2 was kind of like that. I guess Dexter realizing that "a monster can change" in the Mos Def character was supposed to be some sort of character development, but really I just wanted to see more development of the religious nutjob killer.

• Options
    MordenMorden Registered User regular
    I do agree this is more of a setup episode. Masuka, Deb, Quinn, Batista, La Guerta, and a little bit of Dexter - all of them got a bit of movement forward so that division took up a bunch of screen time. I wanted to see more villain development too, but I think we'll get that, eventually.

Obligatory and unnecessary self-promotion: Twitter | Blog | Podcast |
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I wonder if the development with Deb is leading towards a confrontation with Dexter. Because if she's department head and discovers that Dex is a killer and there's some major case in which Dex is implicated a la season 2, things will get all kinds of interesting, what with her having to find ways to sabotage the case to save her brother. Or... deciding not to.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I felt like her finding them at the end of last season and letting them go was the first step toward Deb being okay with a vigilante killer as long as they're going after bad guys, and the foundation for how she'll behave when she finds out about him. I think it's going to happen.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote:
    I wonder if the development with Deb is leading towards a confrontation with Dexter. Because if she's department head and discovers that Dex is a killer and there's some major case in which Dex is implicated a la season 2, things will get all kinds of interesting, what with her having to find ways to sabotage the case to save her brother. Or... deciding not to.

I'm guessing
    that Deb will catch Dexter doing something he shouldn't and cover it up, possibly causing her to lose that position. But not the full extent of Dexter's extracurricular activities, that will wait until the last season of the show.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I really liked the Mos Def character in this episode. I hope he has a recurring role... though this season is already a bit star-heavy.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yea, for crazy religious guy he was nicely well done. After episode 1 I was sort of dreading the whole religion angle but this episode stopped that....for now.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I also dug the
    Little Chino
    reference. That was one of his best kills.

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    I really liked the Mos Def character in this episode. I hope he has a recurring role... though this season is already a bit star-heavy.
    I just hope he actually *stays* a changed man. That would be a first for Dexter.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Mos Def was great and the character was refreshing

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    So what are the chances the new forensics intern is
    a serial killer.

Based on the preview for future episodes, with Debra screaming and looking upset at what appears to be a crime scene, I'm wondering if she
    kills Masuka.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Well...
    That's certainly what they're hinting at what with Dexter's "people obsessed with serial killers are serial killers" thing. Very creepy for sure, as for the previews, I was trying to figure out why she would be freaking out so much but yeah, that sort of makes sense...

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Did I miss something or was Dex just stupid lucky to stop by the correct old people residence the first time

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    LaCabra wrote:
    Did I miss something or was Dex just stupid lucky to stop by the correct old people residence the first time
    It was the closest one to the crime scene, IIRC.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    The biggest twist they could do with the villain is
    Olmos is in his head AND shows up for real, because the guy isn't dead.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    I find this season insultingly silly so far(everything is a rehash of something we've already seen on this very show).
    The series is going downhill fast.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    I agree, not digging anything in this season so far.

• Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I don't think Christianity is poorly characterized as it's followers being of blind faith. Living the south it's pretty common that people follow the faith "just because" as it were.

Olmos' character kinda seems like he might be of that persuasion as well as Hanks', especially...
    the way Olmos flipped out and told him not to see his sister anymore, despite her being a good person in Hanks' eyes. I've known a lot of people to do irrational things because of religion and the like.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    Hah! The dead girl, when they rolled her over, she totally moved. Like, her leg twitched and left the fucking ground. How did they miss that? Was everyone involved in that scene, from actors to the director to the fucking catering, blind?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    TeaSpoon wrote:
    Hah! The dead girl, when they rolled her over, she totally moved. Like, her leg twitched and left the fucking ground. How did they miss that? Was everyone involved in that scene, from actors to the director to the fucking catering, blind?

I missed it.

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    TeaSpoon wrote:

I missed it.

Yes, well, unlike the people working there, it's not your job to catch these things.

I'm pretty unobservant, so the fact that I caught this mistake must mean it's very obvious. I think. I don't have a metric for this.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    So, I began Dexter last week, just started season two last night. Pretty good show aside from some of the 'courts work against spousal abuse victims' or 'Brian ends up evil because of being institutionalized' implications. Personal issues with what Dexter does aside, it's enjoyable. Kind of veered into cartoon villainy at the end of the first season though. Still, the writing is decent overall and the characters are mostly interesting. I'm glad Deb isn't taking too long to deal with her victimhood issues.

Something I didn't quite get though; In the first couple of episodes of season two. Rita confronts Dexter about setting up Paul. Dexter explains that he knocked him out on impulse, which he did. She then jumps to Dexter being a drug addict? Apparently because he knew how to cook the drugs. Why would it be so much of a stretch that he learned that through his police work? Surely his late hours the last little while could be explained by working on a headliner serial killer case.

• Options
    Rita, having spent lots of time being a druggie (and being around druggies) probably keys in on druggie behavior. Dexter, being cornered, went along with her gut reaction ("You're a druggie!") because it sounded a lot better than "I use drug equipment when I'm murdering people".

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Lucid wrote:
    So, I began Dexter last week, just started season two last night. Pretty good show aside from some of the 'courts work against spousal abuse victims' or 'Brian ends up evil because of being institutionalized' implications. Personal issues with what Dexter does aside, it's enjoyable. Kind of veered into cartoon villainy at the end of the first season though. Still, the writing is decent overall and the characters are mostly interesting. I'm glad Deb isn't taking too long to deal with her victimhood issues.

Something I didn't quite get though; In the first couple of episodes of season two. Rita confronts Dexter about setting up Paul. Dexter explains that he knocked him out on impulse, which he did. She then jumps to Dexter being a drug addict? Apparently because he knew how to cook the drugs. Why would it be so much of a stretch that he learned that through his police work? Surely his late hours the last little while could be explained by working on a headliner serial killer case.

It could certainly, but he's making a different tactical decision than that. Making a 'big admission' plays into Rita's suspicions thereby allaying them through confirmation.

It could be the wrong decision, but it is a tactical one.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Am I alone here when I say that Hanks and Olmos' characters are of no interest so far?

Hopefully when their motives come out and are known I will be more interested in their story. Whenever they are on screen though I feel like fast forwarding.

• Options
    I agree. Maybe they should focus on them a bit more and less on the characters no one gives a fuck about. Though I believe it was a couple episodes in before they really started focusing on Trinity, so maybe they're about to. At least they finally got to the horse scene that they've been previewing constantly.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    It's weird. Batista is one of my favorite characters but I hate all of his storylines

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Rita, having spent lots of time being a druggie (and being around druggies) probably keys in on druggie behavior. Dexter, being cornered, went along with her gut reaction ("You're a druggie!") because it sounded a lot better than "I use drug equipment when I'm murdering people".
    Yeah, I forgot about her being an addict as well. I guess it could be interpreted as Dexter manipulating her, as he got sympathy hugs at the end of the conversation.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    TeaSpoon wrote:
    TeaSpoon wrote:

I missed it.

Yes, well, unlike the people working there, it's not your job to catch these things.

I'm pretty unobservant, so the fact that I caught this mistake must mean it's very obvious. I think. I don't have a metric for this.

I remember in a previous season, can't remember which, one of the bodies was breathing quite noticeably. You can't really cover up things like necks throbbing, and I always enjoy looking for signs of life from the "corpses" in these shows, but come on, how hard is it to hold your breath while you're being filmed for a few brief seconds as a dead body?

Edit: I did a Google search. Apparently it was in the second episode of season four--Remains to Be Seen.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    It is kinda difficult to play dead, as far as I can tell. I mean, lots of your body's motion isn't even controlled. Twitches, breathing, veins moving... the body isn't meant to be perfectly still.

When you're on a TV show with a limited budget and time constraints, going over and over to get a corpse scene perfect is just not feasable. You pick the best take and roll from there.

• Options
    It is kinda difficult to play dead, as far as I can tell. I mean, lots of your body's motion isn't even controlled. Twitches, breathing, veins moving... the body isn't meant to be perfectly still.

When you're on a TV show with a limited budget and time constraints, going over and over to get a corpse scene perfect is just not feasable. You pick the best take and roll from there.

This.

I view such errors more with "haha, I saw that" than "GRRR THEY FUCKED UP RAAAAAAGE".

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote:

This.

I view such errors more with "haha, I saw that" than "GRRR THEY FUCKED UP RAAAAAAGE".

It doesn't ruin anything for me, I find it amusing as well. It does surprise me, though. I can see rolling with a shot where an eye twitches or some minor breathing can be seen. This episode, that body looked like it was about to get up and then realized it was dead.

• Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    Yeah - I am looking forward to seeing what Deb was so freaked about. I wonder if a major character is going to bite it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I feel like these villains are extremely compelling. likewise Dexter's possible new friend in the car shop guy (terrible with character names)

maybe I just find the weird religious stuff exciting. the end of this last episode was a classically great moment for me, like when Dex follows home Trinity to find
    him a family man.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The first two eps of this season have kinda sucked really hard. Aside from the Mos Def character, not a single person has been interesting or compelling. This ep seemed to be a little better, but the season still seems to be going nowhere fast.
    I really liked Dex's interactions with the Tooth Fairy, and I liked seeing Deb adjust to the stress of her new job. However, I still do not care at all for Hanks or whoever the old guy is. I hope hope hope against hope they're ramping up to something awesome.

Also,
    I swear to god, if Deb doesn't find out about Dex I'm going to be pissed. SHE NEEDS TO FUCKING FIND OUT. That's the only direction this show can go, and the longer they drag it out the more frustrating it gets. Dex needs to be caught.

Sangheili91 on