As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3 - Where fanboy tears flow like milk and honey

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My body is ready.

Just got done watching those E3 'highlights' videos. I wonder what hilariousness we will have out of this years press cons.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh yeah

Nintendo's putting out a new console, I forgot

I'm interested in seeing this!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Looking forward to the great times in the PA E3 IRC room as shit hits the fan.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zelda. Now and forever, the only thing I'll ever want is more god damn Zelda. Information, screenshots, art, videos about Skyward Sword. I just want more of that.

Also the new Nintendo console, I guess. More 3DS stuff. Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, The Last Guardian, etc.

But really. Zelda.

Graviija on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm almost willing to bet $20 that Skyward Sword becomes another Twilight Princess and hits both this and the next Nintendo console with upgrades, thus making sure that the Wii doesn't get a Zelda game of its "own"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm calling it right now. Shenmue III is definitely going to be announced this year.

Now, I've said this every year for the past five years. But this time it's definitely happening.

It would've been tight. Oh well.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ops, can't forget the '08 and '10 comics

20080716.jpg
    903426984_Tg2it-L.jpg

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The requirements that E3 wants from you to get in has now swung the pendulum in the opposite way. It used to be so easy to get in, but now it is absurdly difficult. I have friends in the industry that work for major developers that are denied access to E3 for no discernible reason other than they must not believe their credentials. I was talking to the hiring manager for one major studio recently and he was telling me about the BS that E3 is giving his employees and not letting some of them in when they are exactly the kind of people that should be allowed.

I used to get rubber stamped every year, and this is the first year I've ever had any trouble getting in. I've already talked to an exceedingly stupid and progressively insulting rep on the phone who's literal job it is to reject people all day. So now I have to do this, for an opportunity to win a contest to get in.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9077583

My secondary plan is just showing up anyway, and going directly to the registration desk and demanding to speak to a manager. It's easy to tell somebody no over the phone, but when you have somebody in a suit and tie respectably explaining the situation, showing credentials in person and pressing the issue, it's harder to say no.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The requirements that E3 wants from you to get in has now swung the pendulum in the opposite way. It used to be so easy to get in, but now it is absurdly difficult. I have friends in the industry that work for major developers that are denied access to E3 for no discernible reason other than they must not believe their credentials. I was talking to the hiring manager for one major studio recently and he was telling me about the BS that E3 is giving his employees and not letting some of them in when they are exactly the kind of people that should be allowed.

I used to get rubber stamped every year, and this is the first year I've ever had any trouble getting in. I've already talked to an exceedingly stupid and progressively insulting rep on the phone who's literal job it is to reject people all day. So now I have to do this, for an opportunity to win a contest to get in.

My secondary plan is just showing up anyway, and going directly to the registration desk and demanding to speak to a manager. It's easy to tell somebody no over the phone, but when you have somebody in a suit and tie respectably explaining the situation, showing credentials in person and pressing the issue, it's harder to say no.

That sucks. :(
    Hope you do manage to get in.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Skyrim + Mass Effect 3 = <3

They are really the only games I give a shit about I think

[edit] Oh and the new Deus Ex of course. That will be very interesting too

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is there a place to see when the press conferences are? I vaguely remember reading that Nintendo's will be on June 7th.

I just realized that outside of Valve hopefully showing off Dota 2, pretty much everything I'm looking forward to seeing is Nintendo stuff. I wanna see more Zelda: Skyward Sword. I wanna see 3DS games. I wanna see whatever the hell Nintendo is doing with their next console.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The unveiling of Project Cafe is going to be very, very interesting. Looking forward to seeing that.

Beyond that, Mass Effect is the only thing on my radar, really, unless Square drops some bombas.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Know what I'm looking forward to? The post E3 comic. Last years was great.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm almost willing to bet $20 that Skyward Sword becomes another Twilight Princess and hits both this and the next Nintendo console with upgrades, thus making sure that the Wii doesn't get a Zelda game of its "own"

I hope not. I'm still looking forward to Skyward Sword being released this year.
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    ops, can't forget the '08 and '10 comics
    20080716.jpg
    903426984_Tg2it-L.jpg

I had pretty much forgotten the '10 comic. Did Gabe and Tycho say what they thought of Other M? They seemed very excited about it's announcement in the '09 comic.

Peewi on
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Episode 3 is going to be announced. I just know it.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Never underestimate Sony. I fully expect them to be arrogantly oblivious to the PSN fault, and completely and totally dance around it during their conference. "What fault?" will be the order of the day.

Nintendo will be heavy on Wii 2 and what it does, including no doubt your favourite titles that will come with it on release (Zelda, Mario, et al AGAIN).

Xbox I expect some sort of talk on ME3, MW3 and stuff on Kinect and expanding the market.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, Mass Effect 3 and Deus Ex Hr are my most anticipated. Actually, witcher 2 is my most anticipated but that's out in two days.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think MS's press conference is going to be just like last years, it's all going to be Kinect with some hardcore shooter titles thrown in there.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    I think MS's press conference is going to be just like last years, it's all going to be Kinect with some hardcore shooter titles thrown in there.

Pretty much. Microsoft has been fairly quite the last couple of months, there's no real hint of anything major coming out. I think they're in a sort of content zone at the moment. They don't really need to push forward anything too major.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, Mass Effect 3 and Deus Ex Hr are my most anticipated. Actually, witcher 2 is my most anticipated but that's out in two days.

In a way, I don't want to hear about Batman. I went into Arkham Asylum without knowing very much beforehand and I'd kinda like to repeat that with Arkham City. I had also kinda forgotten that it's a thing that is coming out.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    Let's go over some of the past brilliance of E3.
    Nintendo 2008
    Ravi Drums

Oh Lord. I can look back and laugh now. But that Wii Music section. That was certainly a thing that was not good.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I blocked out last year's Ubisoft's fever dream of a conference from my mind, and then one of my friends had to be a jerk and bring it back up. :(

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Man you really don't want to be getting your hopes up on that.

On the flipside, I guess Valve did make a pretty major announcement at E3 last year what with the whole PS3 thing and all. Steamworks on the PS3 pretty much came out of nowhere, nobody saw that one coming.

Personally though, I'd expect them to lead up into it with an ARG. Everyone would be suspecting but not willing to believe it just yet, and then the first real facts start coming out and everything is confirmed and the internet melts down under the combined weight of a billion tweats and forum posts.

subedii on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is this the E3 where Nintendo reveals that the Wii was The Riddler's brain-sucking machine all along?

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    subedii wrote: »

Man you really don't want to be getting your hopes up on that.

On the flipside, I guess Valve did make a pretty major announcement at E3 last year what with the whole PS3 thing and all. Steamworks on the PS3 pretty much came out of nowhere, nobody saw that one coming.

Personally though, I'd expect them to lead up into it with an ARG. Everyone would be suspecting but not willing to believe it just yet, and then the first real facts start coming out and everything is confirmed and the internet melts down under the combined weight of a billion tweats and forum posts.

I know Valve seem to be into ARGs right now, but whatever happened to just showing a trailer? Ep1 had an Ep2 trailer at the end and L4D2 was announced with a surprise trailer during Microft's E3 conference.

Assuming it is actually going to be shown, I'm wondering where Dota 2 will be shown off. Valve isn't listed as an exhibitor on the E3 website and with it only having been announced for PC, it probably wouldn't be shown off by Microsoft or Sony. Apparently Portal 2 has been shown off at some EA events, so maybe they could to that with Dota 2 as well.

Peewi on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Is there a place to see when the press conferences are? I vaguely remember reading that Nintendo's will be on June 7th.

Times are in the OP. I'll update it with more info and links to streams as time goes by.

Guek on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Super Wii will launch with Pikmin. Believe.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Guek wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

Times are in the OP. I'll update it with more info and links to streams as time goes by.

Thank you for the world clock links! It's very convenient to have those.

Peewi on
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm looking forward to EA/DICE for more info on Battlefield 3.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

That sucks. :(
    Hope you do manage to get in.

Thanks, so what did you think of the contest entry?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Announcement of the Halo CE remake.

(I want to believe)

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Why a Halo CE remake? I think the graphics in Halo CE have aged pretty well.

Edit: God damnit I'm gonna be at school for MS and Nintendo's press conferences.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is anyone else actually going to E3?

Heleor on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wanna see more of the DMC reboot. I'm curious if they pulled an infamous 2 and did some changes in an attempt to pacify the fans, or just stuck to what they were going for.

Also want to see more of Final Fantasy Versus and Type-0. Feels like I've been waiting for those forever.

The one thing I don't want to see any of is Mass Effect 3. It would be nice to play through without knowing who all my party members are before I meet them.

And Skyward Sword better be Wii-exclusive. There are not nearly enough Wii games that appeal to me, I don't need one of the only ones I'm interested in to be on another, more powerful system.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Valve need to announce something don't they? I'm thinking Left 4 Dead 3 and Episode 3, perhaps a new Team Fortress iteration.. could it be... a new orange box?

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why a Halo CE remake? I think the graphics in Halo CE have aged pretty well.

Edit: God damnit I'm gonna be at school for MS and Nintendo's press conferences.

Uh... there's more to remakes than graphic updates y'know...

Henroid on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll take that. The ground work has been laid out for the Wii, not to mention Wii Motion+ stuff which we have no idea if Wii 2 will support.

Now, let's be clear. Even if they mention backwords compatibility for the system, that doesn't count. You're betting on a Wii version and a Wii 2 version. Whether the system can magically up-rez and apply nice textures to all Wii games isn't a factor -- it has to be braded as two separate versions.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Halo 4 is all but confirmed by the way. People in the know, KNOW

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    nGaBj.jpg

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Valve need to announce something don't they? I'm thinking Left 4 Dead 3 and Episode 3, perhaps a new Team Fortress iteration.. could it be... a new orange box?

They announced Dota 2 back in october. I really don't think they'd announce another game before having shown off the one they've already annoucned.

Peewi on