As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Doctor Who] Thread

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Don't skip a doctor or even skip many episodes. They are all worth watching at least once, then you can pick your favorites to watch six extra times :P

But if your favorite doctor is not Tennant, you're doin it wrong :whistle:

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    What about Torchwood? That worth checking out?

Not really, no.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm going to try on plow through a whole season on my off days. I might try to throw in an episode of Torchwood in between to give me some more variety.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Bogart wrote: »

Not really, no.

Torchwood has a few excellent episodes, a few good, and a ton of really really shit ones. the last season(miracle day) can be avoided in it's entirety.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Foomy wrote: »

Not really, no.

Torchwood has a few excellent episodes, a few good, and a ton of really really shit ones. the last season(miracle day) can be avoided in it's entirety.

Ugh, Miracle Day.... So much potential, and it's not just wasted, they crumpled it up, burned it, and threw it in the trash...

Steam profile
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Personally I started with Torchwood before I even knew anything about it other than it was loosely related to Doctor Who and I loved it.

The first three seasons were fantastic, and Miracle Day was good, but to me it really fell flat due to the fact they partnered with Starz to get it in the states and the whole thing kind of moved away from securing this little hellhole in Whales to bouncing around the US and China.

Other than that I enjoyed Miracle Day as well, hardcore dude on dude action and all : )

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Not really, no.
    There was one season that was kinda watchable..ish

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Other than that I enjoyed Miracle Day as well, hardcore dude on dude action and all : )

That just came from nowhere. It's like, they're doing normal things, lalala, going through the day then BAM! Jack's having sex.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Not really, no.
    There was one season that was kinda watchable..ish

Hey now! Children of Earth was great.

Series 2 wasn't so bad either, imo. They'd gotten over the hardcore for hardcore's sake phase, got down to some serious business. And the deaths of a couple Torchwood characters hit harder than any companion departure from Doctor Who. They might be cheap shots, but they work. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

That just came from nowhere. It's like, they're doing normal things, lalala, going through the day then BAM! Jack's having sex.

To be fair that probably describes captain jack's daily life pretty well

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

To be fair that probably describes captain jack's daily life pretty well

That is.... true.

:lol:

Steam profile
  • Options
    Just finished with the Eccleston season and I enjoyed it. I'll start the Tennant stuff soon.

• Options
    Just finished with the Eccleston season and I enjoyed it. I'll start the Tennant stuff soon.

I wish I could be in your shoes and be about to watch Tennant for the first time...

Steam profile
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The Christmas episode that first has him is great.

I am going to watch "The God Complex" from last season now. That was a trippy episode.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Dude WTF is up with Weeping Angels!? We just got to that episode in S3, and this is less than two days after we saw the fucking Satan Pitt and the Christmas Special with Catherine Tate in it.

The special effects guys on Doctor Who are trying to give me a heart attack. I just know it.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I miss the point in my life where blink was the only episode with the weeping angels I'd seen. It such a great, internally consistent episode that doesn't rape continuity.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    redx wrote: »
    I miss the point in my life where blink was the only episode with the weeping angels I'd seen. It such a great, internally consistent episode that doesn't rape continuity.

The two parter in season 5 was good IMO. That said, you're probably right they should have stayed a one-off monster.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Don't skip a doctor or even skip many episodes. They are all worth watching at least once, then you can pick your favorites to watch six extra times :P

But if your favorite doctor is not Baker you're doin it wrong :whistle:

Fixed.

I've been watching through new who from eccleston on lately, in season 3 now. Man... Daleks in Manhattan somehow seems even worse than I remember. The storyline, the ideas, the setup, how the doctor and the daleks act. Everything seems off in that two parter.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Well, there were two Bakers, but I'm just gonna assume you're referring to Tom Baker because I'm not sure that anyone thought the 6th Doctor was amazing.

I definitely think Tom Baker was better than Tennant. I loved Tennant, but he wasn't very threatening, or believable, when he got angry; but he was good at the whimsy...but not as good as Smith.

Personally, it's a toss-up between Tom Baker and Smith as far as who my favorite Doctor is. Smith just does every aspect of the Doctor so damn well. He can be whimsical, stern, mysterious, threatening, creepy, loving, and does it all with such style. But most of my experience with Doctor Who prior to the new series was the Fourth Doctor so I have a lot of nostalgia with that that keeps him high up there in my head.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Good point, of course I mean Tom. Love Smith too, he occasionally reminds me of Troughton, which I always enjoy.

• Options
    That last Christmas episode got to silly though. I am not certain what Moffet was smoking.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Good point, of course I mean Tom. Love Smith too, he occasionally reminds me of Troughton, which I always enjoy.

I have always said that Smith's version is just a younger version of the second Doctor. Also, I am totally fine with that.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular

Not really, no.

Just watch the first episode of season 1, then Cyberwoman, then the last episode of season 1. You will appropriately get the vibe of Torchwood.

• Options
    theSquid wrote: »

Not really, no.

Just watch the first episode of season 1, then Cyberwoman, then the last episode of season 1. You will appropriately get the vibe of Torchwood.

I was about to ask which Torchwood episodes I should avoid. Netflix doesn't have season 4 and season 3 is just 5 episodes for some reason.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Season three was a mini series and is easily the best part of Torchwood.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Torchwood, more like Squanderanythinggoodwood

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    What Torchwood episodes featured John De Lancie?

• Options
    Anyone who doesn't think Tennant can be a badass missed the episode in S3 when
    He went back in time and had to become human to avoid the blood family, and after he stopped them, he imprisoned one in stasis as a scarecrow, put another in all the mirrors in the world, put one in unbreakable chains underground, and put the last one in a singularity, so that they would never die, which was their final wish.

The way the girl said it made it creepier though... "He wasn't running because he feared us, he ran from us because he was being kind..."

Tennant can be a total badass.

Also Tennant did an interview with Chris Hardwick and said one of the reasons he was so whimsical is because for the first time since the Time War he was happy. Eccleston was serious and quiet and broody because he was still recovering, but Tennant was finally back in classic form, and could be happier, well until later events in season 2 I guess.

I did have one burning question, and I'm not looking to be spoiled, just curious as to if it's been brought up yet. I'm currently watching the last three episodes of Season 3

Do they ever really explain the time war that's alluded to since early on in season one? Like go into serious detail?

Is it something that took place during one of the older series I can go back and watch?

Lastly, I've found a website with the preferred watching order, but it's really out of date, like over a year old and they've added Who since then.

What's the order I need to go in to get the full effect? I.E. where should I be pausing in the series to watch the little specials and movies they have on netflix (I'm only interested in the Netflix stuff, I'm not paying extra for it. )

• Options
    As far as the shows go, the Time War is not something that you missed in a previous episode or anything. Nor have many details come out about it at the point you're at, although you should have a basic idea of the two sides and whatnot.

Steam profile
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Everything You Need To Know About The Time War To Star Watching Doctor Who With "Rose": Nothing. Pick it up.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Do they ever really explain the time war that's alluded to since early on in season one? Like go into serious detail?

That's a definite "sort of" later on, yeah. You don't see it, per se. But the Specials (a year without a series where they made a bunch of special event episodes for Easter/Halloween/Xmas, after Series 4, before Series 5) end with a 2 parter that revolves around the final days of the Time War. You still never really see what the Doctor did to end the war, or how he did it, but you certainly find out why he did it.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

The two parter in season 5 was good IMO. That said, you're probably right they should have stayed a one-off monster.

Your opinion is bad and wrong

The two-parter in Season 5 is my go-to example for why Moffat's a shit showrunner

• Options
    I'm of the opinion that I hope we never find out about the Time War. Nothing will equal what my mind can come up with and it'll only lead to a disappointment.

Though I would love to see Paul McGann strutting around again.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I'm of the opinion that I hope we never find out about the Time War. Nothing will equal what my mind can come up with and it'll only lead to a disappointment.

Yeah, the descriptions used in The End of Time was pretty much the most abstract and awesome way to describe it. Nothing will hold up to the thoughts conjured up by that line.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Anyone who doesn't think Tennant can be a badass missed the episode in S3 when
    He went back in time and had to become human to avoid the blood family, and after he stopped them, he imprisoned one in stasis as a scarecrow, put another in all the mirrors in the world, put one in unbreakable chains underground, and put the last one in a singularity, so that they would never die, which was their final wish.

The way the girl said it made it creepier though... "He wasn't running because he feared us, he ran from us because he was being kind..."

Tennant can be a total badass.

Also Tennant did an interview with Chris Hardwick and said one of the reasons he was so whimsical is because for the first time since the Time War he was happy. Eccleston was serious and quiet and broody because he was still recovering, but Tennant was finally back in classic form, and could be happier, well until later events in season 2 I guess.

It's not about what the Doctor did when Tennant played him. It's that Tennant himself wasn't convincingly angry or intimidating at any point. Yes, the Doctor did some pretty harsh things (and your example isn't the only time in Tennants reign the Doctor did some pretty 'ouch' things), but I never felt like Tennant did a good job of making it feel like he could ever actually be that cruel. I loved Tennant, and when he was great, which was often, he was great. But I just feel like those times when I was supposed to be afraid of the Time Lord, I couldn't buy it because he didn't communicate the level of intimidation and terror the scene he was playing implied.

It's something, I feel, Smith does very well; his range of emotions and actions are much more natural and believable; which as I said before, reminds me more of how well Tom Baker could do the anger and power of an ancient Time Lord. Though, on the other hand, Baker wasn't so hot at the whimsy and playfulness that Tennant excelled at (and that Smith, IMO, still does better anyway).

Though from other posts, apparently I need to go back and watch more of the second doctor if I like Smith so much. To netflix!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

Yeah, the descriptions used in The End of Time was pretty much the most abstract and awesome way to describe it. Nothing will hold up to the thoughts conjured up by that line.

In fact, I was horribly let down by the
    glimpse of Gallifrey we go in End of Time. It was just, I mean it was good, but it was sort of a let down.

It just proves that we'd get an Attack of the Clones if they ever touched the Time War in the show.

Luckily Eleven has mentioned it like, once, so unless we go back to that well for next season I think we're in the clear.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I just can't get over how much I'm enjoying this fucking show. I mean my wife and I are literally on the couch watching something from a few years ago looking at each other every five minutes in awe, pausing to discuss it, and damn near crying after some episodes.

It's fucking fantastic, and I hope it stays on TV until I'm 70, at which point the singularity should have happened, or I can at least go through the treatment that the last pure human went through in S1

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I just can't get over how much I'm enjoying this fucking show. I mean my wife and I are literally on the couch watching something from a few years ago looking at each other every five minutes in awe, pausing to discuss it, and damn near crying after some episodes.

It's fucking fantastic, and I hope it stays on TV until I'm 70, at which point the singularity should have happened, or I can at least go through the treatment that the last pure human went through in S1

youlikeit.gif
    It's something, I feel, Smith does very well; his range of emotions and actions are much more natural and believable; which as I said before, reminds me more of how well Tom Baker could do the anger and power of an ancient Time Lord. Though, on the other hand, Baker wasn't so hot at the whimsy and playfulness that Tennant excelled at (and that Smith, IMO, still does better anyway).

Yeah, the scene where
    he forces the guy to give the order to run away
    was simultaneously hilarious and a little bit horrifying. It's like you want to laugh because Smith is being Smith and adorable and everything, but at the same time godsdamn is there some cosmic rage bubbling up there.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    but at the same time godsdamn is there some cosmic rage bubbling up there.

yeah. smith does that really really well, the whole smart and quick thinking thing, the silliness, and then BAM serious as fuck when needed. He may have been born for the role.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Well I think Tennant can be angrier and scarier so nyeh!

And my opinion is the most important :P

I can't wait till I get to watch Doctor Who with someone who's never seen it...

Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.