Options

[Venture Bros.] Apparently the movie is erasing the existence of the series

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    If anyone finds that box set for presale post it here please

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    I started to rewatch the series because its been years since I’ve done a full run-through and its amazing how much stuff they planned for season 1 and 2 starting in the pilot.

One of my favorite moments from the pilot is when Brock gets done fighting the gator and he’s wiping the blood on his pants. The UN guard says Brock needs to hand over his weapons and Brock just gets those crazy eyes and says “Come and take it”.

It’s such a brilliant show and I could gush about it for hours. But I need to go to bed so only one episode tonight.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    1 AM

Wondering WTF I'd just seen with the first season finale

You'd think they'd leave themselves some sort of out if it got renewed

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Man I watched this show for the first time in… 2014? 2015?

And at the end of the first season I was like… “Wait, this is just a Jonny Quest parody. Are they going to do like a South Park thing and kill them off at the end of every season? Or is this for real and those characters are gone from now on?”

I really wasn’t prepared for the direction the show was going in, even knowing there were more seasons to watch. Or how behind all the humor, how big of a heart the show would have. Or how deep the lore would get.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Showdown at Cremation Creek Pt(s) 1 and 2 are like 40 minutes of the best animation drawn

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    I think the last couple seasons got a little far up its own ass with regards to the depth of the lore, but every episode was still good to great.

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Showdown at Cremation Creek Pt(s) 1 and 2 are like 40 minutes of the best animation drawn

Funny story about that. I usually put a show that I've seen before as I'm falling asleep as it does help. I woke up this morning, TV still running, and started my morning routine. As I'm getting my coffee going all I hear is this high pitched squealing coming from the bedroom and I say to myself, "Ah, the season two finale is in motion."

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I was very familiar with Jonny Quest because I was a kid in the 90s with Cartoon Network (as well as the 90s revival episodes). Had I been born a little earlier or later I likely wouldn't have known about it because it wouldn't have been airing in syndication anywhere or I wouldn't have been watching Cartoon Network.

And then this show comes out that I get (at least enough of it) because of all that previous knowledge. After The Simpsons and Family Guy, this is the show that really rewarded my interest in and knowledge of pop culture. And then it just went off and made amazing characters and story arcs and continuity, and nothing else is really like it. It easily could have not meaningfully evolved from the pilot, but it did. It grew and thrived, making weirdly large jumps from season to season. Not always perfect but I can only say that because I've been invested in it for so long that I can get picky about certain things because I know that the rest of the show brings the goods.

This will close out an unexpected 31 year window of time for me. I was a child when I got Cartoon Network. I was in college during the first few seasons. It's the only show where I've bought all the box sets. Given its staggered release schedule it's kind of amazing that I've kept coming back to it. And now it gets to close out with a feature-length movie. I'm psyched as hell that I got to experience all of this.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    You know, I bet the movie is going to come out right around June. Somewhere around the 20th.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

THE GUY FROM LABYRINTH TURNED INTO A BIRD!!!

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

THE GUY FROM LABYRINTH TURNED INTO A BIRD!!!

That's written on our quote wall we have in the office.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    oh you're such a poser, changes was a best-of album!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    I love the fact that the possible , future theory of DCs Batman and Joker retcon are
    going to make Bruce and Joker "Stepbrothers via Thomas Wayne's infidelity from "Joker" movie, Just like Rusty and Malcom/Monarch being stepbrothers because of Jonas Sr's infidelity as well .

If that happens by DC, Doc and Hammer better have some blackmail material at the ready for the Time Warner board.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I think they both have decades of soap operas who've already beaten them to plot twists like that.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    I love the fact that the possible , future theory of DCs Batman and Joker retcon are
    going to make Bruce and Joker "Stepbrothers via Thomas Wayne's infidelity from "Joker" movie, Just like Rusty and Malcom/Monarch being stepbrothers because of Jonas Sr's infidelity as well .

If that happens by DC, Doc and Hammer better have some blackmail material at the ready for the Time Warner board.

And a boardmember pulls this picture out and its dropped:
    73voE0u.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I think they both have decades of soap operas who've already beaten them to plot twists like that.

It was during one of his unusually frequent bouts of explosive amnesia.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Wouldn't that be half-brothers?

• Options
    Possible spoiler
    in my head anyone with red hair in the series is automatically related to Rusty. So like Dr Quymn from season 1 (it hints at it in the flashbacks), and I’m like 99% sure Quizboy Billy is actually related as well. Jonas Sr. slept around a lot. It wouldn’t surprise me if they pull some gag where half of the GOCI and superscientists are all in some way related to Rusty.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    Possible spoiler
    in my head anyone with red hair in the series is automatically related to Rusty. So like Dr Quymn from season 1 (it hints at it in the flashbacks), and I’m like 99% sure Quizboy Billy is actually related as well. Jonas Sr. slept around a lot. It wouldn’t surprise me if they pull some gag where half of the GOCI and superscientists are all in some way related to Rusty.

I mean a running theme through seven seasons is that the GOCI and OSI and Venture Industries throw MASSIVE key parties

• Options
    It took place in the late 60's.

Everyone was throwing massive key parties.

Although the villains seem to have kept the tradition alive.

• Options
    New movie date be damned I'm rewatching the series

Even though I prefer the cleaner lines that show up even in the first season, the thick irregular Hanna-Barbera lines have a great charm.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I was disappointed to learn that there is an Episode Zero between seasons 5 & 6 that isn’t available on iTunes.

I thought the transition was incredibly jarring going from Giganto’s funeral to Rusty inheritance of JJ’s empire.

I hate it when streaming services screw up purchases.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    You should make sure you didn't miss any of the other specials:
    S00 - Pilot: The Terrible Secret of Turtle Bay (February 16, 2003)
    S01 - A Very Venture Christmas (December 19, 2004)
    S04 - From The Ladle To The Grave: The Shallow Gravy Story (August 28, 2011)
    S05 - A Very Venture Halloween (October 28, 2012)
    S06 - All This And Gargantua-2 (January 19, 2015)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The only one vital to plot and so on is All This and Gargantua-2 iirc.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Which also happens to be phenomenal

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The pilot and the christmas episode do get referenced (Which is funny if you've seen the ending of the Christmas episode)

Ladle to Grave has an important, if minor plot development. (A major character finds out something important about another character)

The halloween episode also is where a certain character finds out something huge about themselves and someone else.

• Options
    I can't look at Sharky's Machine without giggling

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hunter Gathers is my spirit animal.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I can't look at Sharky's Machine without giggling

👩‍🚀 Shharkey’s Maaaasheeen 👻

• Options
    I've added "be launched into space with FIX IT!" taped to me" as a new burial option.

At this point it'll be a D4 that my wife rolls to see what happens.

• Options
    I've added "be launched into space with FIX IT!" taped to me" as a new burial option.

At this point it'll be a D4 that my wife rolls to see what happens.

zod9qz22nmvt.jpeg

• Options
    Off topic for the thread, but if anyone was wondering

- OG from college 20 years ago: do dark ritual, get ashes pressed into stone, stone goes in ring, ring goes on person, boom live forever!
    - after 30: Van Halen cover band (but a shitty one), Viking funeral, open bar
    - approaching 40: see above

I know if I make it to 70 I'm fighting a bear in TN, wife and I already discussed this.

So I guess I can get a D6 out of it by then

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

- OG from college 20 years ago: do dark ritual, get ashes pressed into stone, stone goes in ring, ring goes on person, boom live forever!

I know if I make it to 70 I'm fighting a bear in TN, wife and I already discussed this.

Thanks, I was in fact about to ask.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    My death plan.

Just cremate me and hurl my ashes literally anywhere it doesn't matter.

Donate money for a bench in a park or on a trail at least six feet long with none of the 'anti sleeping' shit on it. If someone wants to take a nap, that's fine.

A small engraving 'Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen'.

• Options
    I want my ashes spread on the top of Mount Rainier. When it explodes I'll help take out the jerks who outlived me.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I want my ashes spread on the top of Mount Rainier. When it explodes I'll help take out the jerks who outlived me.

Donate your body to science? No.

Donate your body to mad science? 🤔

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

It's good to know she's going to be looked after. TN winters can be tough.

• Options
    If I was dead you could bang me all you want. I mean, who cares? A dead body is like a piece of trash. I mean, shove as much shit in there as you want. Fill me up with cream, make a stew out of my ass. What's the big deal? Bang me, eat me, grind me up into little pieces, throw me in the river. Who gives a shit? You're dead, you're dead! Oh shit! Is my mic on?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If I was dead you could bang me all you want. I mean, who cares? A dead body is like a piece of trash. I mean, shove as much shit in there as you want. Fill me up with cream, make a stew out of my ass. What's the big deal? Bang me, eat me, grind me up into little pieces, throw me in the river. Who gives a shit? You're dead, you're dead! Oh shit! Is my mic on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwDP872IE5k

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

Donate your body to science? No.

Donate your body to mad science? 🤔

There's always a chance someone might nuke you back from the great beyond.

https://youtu.be/EEuGnonH15k

H9f4bVe.png