• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Metalocalypse gets an ending thank you Jebus

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    From the same thread:

Oops, forgot to type up the tweets...
    Identical to above, but #Metalocalypse and #ATHF, respectively.

So, here's a gigantic "Fuck You" to Comcast for deciding to pull Cartoon Network and Adult Swim from my subscription package, but still making sure I have a half dozen versions of ESPN to never watch.

Venture Bros is the only TV show I own in its entirety on DVD/Blu Ray because it was the one I missed the most when we cancelled cable. I don't know how this movie will come out but I'm going to be eyeing the Blu Ray release date for sure!

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    holy shit, more Metalocalypse? That's awesome!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I wasn't aware Metalocalypse and ATHF were things that ended without "proper endings," because they didn't strike me as like... that kind of show. They seemed insanely episodic rather than world building or whatever.

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Also ATHF had at least one movie.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I wasn't aware Metalocalypse and ATHF were things that ended without "proper endings," because they didn't strike me as like... that kind of show. They seemed insanely episodic rather than world building or whatever.

Metalocalypse had loose story arcs that were coming together in the last season.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    ATHF never made sense but I do think they never got a chance to do a proper "send off" episode so this is nice

https://youtu.be/SJPLnuYNA6A

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Synopsis!
    Doc’s latest invention will either bankrupt the Ventures or launch them to new heights, as Hank searches for himself, Dean searches for Hank, The Monarch searches for answers, and a mysterious woman from their pasts threatens to bring their entire world crashing down on them.

Hank and Dean's mom, finally?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Ok so if they start now, we'ill have the VB movie in 2025, sweet. I bet it pushes 70 minutes with credits.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Synopsis!
    Doc’s latest invention will either bankrupt the Ventures or launch them to new heights, as Hank searches for himself, Dean searches for Hank, The Monarch searches for answers, and a mysterious woman from their pasts threatens to bring their entire world crashing down on them.

See what we're going to end up with is a season's worth (maybe even two) of ideas condensing into this hour / hour and a half thing.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Curious how many of the other loose threads (molotov's infiltration, those two lovebird agents, what's up with the Triad) will they manage to cram into this thing, or if that synopsis is mostly it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Synopsis!

See what we're going to end up with is a season's worth (maybe even two) of ideas condensing into this hour / hour and a half thing.

Probably. But the creators can probably pull it off well -- we practically got a season's worth of stuff in All This and Gargantua-2.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Synopsis!

I think they're very good at leaving things unresolved in a still satisfying way. And also revealing things in a throwaway line that doesn't even matter and didn't require a lot of time or buildup.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Bah one of these days I need to catch back up on this show. I stopped watching a couple seasons ago (mostly cuz I dropped cable) so I'm way behind (IIRC they had just moved to New York?)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Bah one of these days I need to catch back up on this show. I stopped watching a couple seasons ago (mostly cuz I dropped cable, though there are other ways to watch :P) so I'm way behind (IIRC they had just moved to New York?)

The whole series is on Hulu. Except like 2 specials I think.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Bah one of these days I need to catch back up on this show. I stopped watching a couple seasons ago (mostly cuz I dropped cable, though there are other ways to watch :P) so I'm way behind (IIRC they had just moved to New York?)

The whole series is on Hulu. Except like 2 specials I think.

Yeah, I don't have Hulu tho :P But I think I can get the episodes in the Adult Swim app or something.. I don't remember. I've just been lazy really :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Synopsis!

Probably. But the creators can probably pull it off well -- we practically got a season's worth of stuff in All This and Gargantua-2.
    Maybe. But I can't help but think of Firefly right now.

• Options
    Did Firefly even have that much stuff to wrap up, being that it was one season? I can only think of the River Tam stuff and the Shephard's secret. And I guess the sexual tension between Inara and Mal.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Thinking on it, I consistently see alot of these older AS shows near the top of the trending section for HBO Max, I'm guessing these may have been greenlit based on that. I know I immediately binged ATHF when I got it.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Did Firefly even have that much stuff to wrap up, being that it was one season? I can only think of the River Tam stuff and the Shephard's secret. And I guess the sexual tension between Inara and Mal.

To bad they never resolved Book's secret... (That comic never happened. NEVER HAPPENED!)

• Options
    I feel like there was enough there to read between the lines. (Book was probably in a similar position to the Operative, fell out of that line of work and found God.)

• Options
    I feel like there was enough there to read between the lines. (Book was probably in a similar position to the Operative, fell out of that line of work and found God.)

That's definitely what happened instead of the bs propaganda the Alliance put out.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Synopsis!

Maybe. But I can't help but think of Firefly right now.

Aren't there rumours that Disney is looking into something Firefly related for D+?

• Options
    "I wish their was more Firefly"

*monkey paw curls finger*

"Joss Whedon to helm Jayne solo series, Adam Baldwin returning to reprise role."

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    After seeing some of the ideas Whedon wanted to do for Firefly I'm ok with it just fading off into nostalgia forever.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    After seeing some of the ideas Whedon wanted to do for Firefly I'm ok with it just fading off into nostalgia forever.

Ooooh do tell. I came to firefly super late (when the movie released) so I was never deep into the fandom.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Ooooh do tell. I came to firefly super late (when the movie released) so I was never deep into the fandom.

https://www.looper.com/56266/firefly-storylines-never-got-see/

That has the ones I know about and a few I didn't. It does have the one I am pretty sure Elderly Crawfish was referring to. It is extremely awful while also being very on-brand for Whedon.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    "I wish their was more Firefly"

*monkey paw curls finger*

"Joss Whedon to helm Jayne solo series, Adam Baldwin returning to reprise role."

First episode of Jayne solo series is him uncovering a conspiracy in space resort review industry and launching a crusade for integrity

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I hope HBO max gets the series soon, I really need to rewatch 3-8

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Metalocalypse had loose story arcs that were coming together in the last season.

And they were getting increasingly epic with the music and scenes, so the conclusion promised to be some exceptional stuff. And they had an awesome musical to build up to the finale, and then... typical Adult Swim bullshit.

There are really only two things I would want more out of animated shows than finally getting a conclusion to Metalocalypse: getting back MegasXLR and getting a new, modern Exosquad series.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Holy shit.

Am I dreaming? Or did I die? Is this death?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Holy shit.

Am I dreaming? Or did I die? Is this death?

I was pretty sure I was in the Bad Place.

I may need to re-consider.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    A movie is great and all I guess, but they should really just let them make this show until they don’t want to anymore

I’ll take a movie over nothing at all I suppose

• Options
    edited May 2021
    A movie is great and all I guess, but they should really just let them make this show until they don’t want to anymore

I always come back to this Kap video on AS shows
    https://youtu.be/Pkup4zo97E0

Specifically, the quote towards the end. "adult swim cancelled your favorite show? Good. The important part is, it gave you a favorite show."

(To put it another way, these shows being revived would mean other, new shows getting passed over)

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

I think few creators' ideas fail to outpace the perceived profitability, sadly.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was ready for Venture Bros. to end after the last season, but I did still want it to get a dedicated, definitive ending.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

And they were getting increasingly epic with the music and scenes, so the conclusion promised to be some exceptional stuff. And they had an awesome musical to build up to the finale, and then... typical Adult Swim bullshit.

There are really only two things I would want more out of animated shows than finally getting a conclusion to Metalocalypse: getting back MegasXLR and getting a new, modern Exosquad series.

New new or just finally getting to learn wtf was with
    those planet erasing aliens from the season/series finale?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

New new or just finally getting to learn wtf was with
    those planet erasing aliens from the season/series finale?
    Keep the main premise (Neosapien slave revolt/independence), get rid of the crab people and all the other stuff thrown in whenever toy sales started dropping, but also actually finish the
    super alien race encounter.
    Do NOT tie it too closely to a 1 to 1 metaphor of real conflicts going on right now. Let it be it's own thing.
    Basically yeah, New new. (It's a big ask to have something that old and very a part of the 22 minute toy commercial era be watched in order to continue the story.)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I thought you guys were talking about Metalocalypse and was like "Man, did I miss a season?"