Options

Home Ownership Fucking Sucks

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I want a yard with a fence so fucking bad. When I move out of Illinois, it's no more apartments for me.

I hate walking my dogs and waiting around for them to shit. I want to turn them loose in a back yard.

mcp on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mcp wrote: »
    I want a yard with a fence so fucking bad. When I move out of Illinois, it's no more apartments for me.

I hate walking my dogs and waiting around for them to shit. I want to turn them loose in a back yard.

You can save a lot of money on diapers if you're OK with letting your kids out there too.

Hunter on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    mrt144 wrote: »
    What is the deal with a yard and why do people want them? I mean, I think a garden at least makes there be a tangible benefit of maintaining and outdoor space.

Because you can landscape it the way you want to. You have room to hang out with friends when the weather's nice. Place to put the grill. Garden as you mentioned, but there are plenty of benefits along with the costs of having a yard.

You can't explain it Druh.

There's just some people who don't want the trouble and there are others who enjoy all the benefits of owning a home. I for one love having a yard, a garage to work in, being able to do what I want whenever I want (as long as my wife says it's OK) in the house.

What I'm not enjoying right now is my entire HVAC system shitting out in a 6 month period. Unfortunately I need to replace it to maintain the home value. Responsibility sucks ass.

I don't deny the value in havign a porch and outdoor space to grill though. If I'm in for mowing lawns, I might as well be in for growing tomatoes and peppers and herbs. Buying all this stuff to get a healthy looking lawn and buying a riding mower seems like Home-peening contest shit.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mowing lawns isn't a big deal. Raking leaves however is a terrible pain in the ass and I understand why my folks had 3 kids.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    What is the deal with a yard and why do people want them? I mean, I think a garden at least makes there be a tangible benefit of maintaining and outdoor space.

Because you can landscape it the way you want to. You have room to hang out with friends when the weather's nice. Place to put the grill. Garden as you mentioned, but there are plenty of benefits along with the costs of having a yard.

There's just some people who don't want the trouble and there are others who enjoy all the benefits of owning a home. I for one love having a yard, a garage to work in, being able to do what I want whenever I want (as long as my wife says it's OK) in the house.

What I'm not enjoying right now is my entire HVAC system shitting out in a 6 month period. Unfortunately I need to replace it to maintain the home value. Responsibility sucks ass.

I don't deny the value in havign a porch and outdoor space to grill though. If I'm in for mowing lawns, I might as well be in for growing tomatoes and peppers and herbs. Buying all this stuff to get a healthy looking lawn and buying a riding mower seems like Home-peening contest shit.

So..don't have a lawn? There are other ways to landscape a yard. And since when does having a lawn require a riding mower?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I was being sincere.

It's a lot of trouble and I can understand not wanting to deal with it. I just feel the benefits away the trouble. Not by much, but enough.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

So..don't have a lawn? There are other ways to landscape a yard. And since when does having a lawn require a riding mower?

Why would you want anything besides a riding mower? You could race them for sport.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    When I lived in a house in Missouri, I liked mowing the lawn. Didn't take that long, and it got you outside for a bit. Plus fresh cut grass smells awesome. My parent's lawn takes a while to mow, but they have an acre of land.

and grilling. Forgot about grilling. Can't do that in my apartment now, and man do I love to grill some fucking food.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh, I guess part of it too is when there are HOAs involved and your lawn has to be manicured and this and that. I can see that some people like that kind of living but it feels stifling.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I once owned a home.

I don't own a home.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, I guess part of it too is when there are HOAs involved and your lawn has to be manicured and this and that. I can see that some people like that kind of living but it feels stifling.

Simple solution: don't buy a home that's in an association.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ain't no HOAs in the places where proper men live

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Simple solution: don't buy a home that's in an association.

You just want me to shut up and stop opining about home ownership. You criminal.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Been living in an apartment for a while. I plan on renting a nice sized house as soon as my friend is finished fucking with it.

I still do all the repairs and work for this building here. Difference is I am not paying for it and I gets that shit knocked off my rent. Probably had a third or more of the rent here get knocked off for some minor shit, or shit that don't take no time. I did some plumbing work recently in one of the apartments and got a couple months knocked off for barely a days work. Replaced a few windows last week and got a month.

Still want to move into that house. Got no garage here and I can't work on cars. Same friend owns a large towing company, and I can use his shit, but it's a pain in the neck. All the fun and lost income sucks to be honest.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Guy who lives across the street uses a badass looking push reel lawn mower.

I think he does it for the workout.

I had never seen anyone use one of those in my life so at first I was pretty confused why he was pushing around a lawnmower that was not on. Then he emptied the catcher bag and I was like "Oh shit!"

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    My dad used to make me use a push reel when I was a kid.

Good way for us to earn drinking water.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My parents own 10 to 12 houses, located around the university, and we rent them out. They're mostly all 2-3 bedroom houses built by soldiers returning from WW2. It's basically part of my dad's retirement since he's self-employed, real profitable really since they're all paid for by this point. (he's been steadily collecting them for years)

With that said, I hate renters. I take care of cleaning up and doing minor repairs to the houses after people move out. I always wish I knew where those fucktards went after they leave because their damage deposit (which is rarely returned for good reason) often isn't enough to cover the shit they fuck up.

Common fuckups by renters who clearly don't know how to live in a house without someone doing everything for them...

- Not changing the air filter... EVER. This is by far one of the simplest things to do in regards to home maintenance. Air filters are cheap, and they take 30 seconds to replace. Furthermore, going long a long stretch of time without changing them out will really screw up the air conditioner, which is really important in deep south Mississippi with the brutal summers and all.

- Clean the oven and stove, just once in your life. If you like to cook greasy as shit food every night to shove down your gullet then clean it up. We've had to completely throw out, what were new, appliances because they were just heavily used and never, ever cleaned in a relatively short period of time.

- Just mop every now and then. Oh yeah, turns out scrubbing individual pieces of tile with multiple Brillo pads for hours is not that much fun. If you spill laundry detergent on the floor, wipe it up. Don't rub it into the tile and let dirt and grime stick to it.

- You're supposed to leave the house the way it was when you moved in. What I mean by that is that there shouldn't be a 9 ft stack of garbage bags piled up in the corner of the living room with all your shit and garbage you don't want anymore.

- Don't smoke in a house you're renting. I don't even care that there's nothing in the lease about it. Don't do it, you're being a jerk. We've spent months trying to get the smell of smoke out of some houses and it never really leaves the house. I've had to repaint entire houses because there was just a black tint on every wall except where furniture was backed up against it. Repainting the house also doesn't get rid of the awful smell either.

- Oh, you broke that huge plate glass window which costs a few hundred dollars? Oh okay you want US to pay to have it replaced because it's unacceptable for you to have to live without it? Oh okay, yeah you go ahead and break your lease and move out without telling us because you don't want to pay for the repairs.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Shouldn't replacing the air filter be management's job?

Any place I've rented, someone pops by and takes care of that kind of thing.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Do they have to change the air filter down there? Always seemed like the responsibility of the home owner where I am.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Places I've rented that had any kind of filter needing changed they just show me where it is and how often to do it. Filters are cheap.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The last place I rented, my fiance and I scoured that motherfucker before inspection.

Place reeked of bleach when we were finished.

The people inspecting it walked in, stopped, and said, `Well. Sure smells clean.'

I've never lost a deposit on a place.

mcp on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    At the end of the month I will qualify and I will then be looking for a new job elsewhere and moving out for the first time.

I'm a bit scared. More than a bit if I'm being honest, though I'm sure everyone else will think I'm being a sissy.

Liiya on
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The last place I rented, my fiance and I scoured that motherfucker before inspection.

Place reeked of bleach when we were finished.

The people inspecting it walked in, stopped, and said, `Well. Sure smells clean.'

I've never lost a deposit on a place.

This is how you are supposed to rent. The wife and I have not lost a dime of our deposit on the two places we've rented so far and don't plan to lose any of our third. Definitely looking to buy a house after this lease is up though.

Anialos on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was glad to be renting when my toilet broke last week and poured water into my apartment for an hour, though I feel bad for my landlords because they are really nice people and having to deal with insurance and building management on something like this would be a pretty horrible thing I imagine. Of course I had to deal with 20 huge fans drying the walls day and night for a week, and will have to move most of my stuff out for them to replace the flooring so it's not all fun and games for me either.

I own a house too though, and unfortunately we put too much trust in the property managers we hired to look after it because they fucked it up royally and now my (soon to be ex) wife is back there dealing with insurance and trying to get it into a state where it can be rented out again. Ideally we'll just sell the place but the market is shitty at the moment so we're going to hold on to it for a while; it also looks like they might be changing some of the zoning laws in our area which means a developer would probably pay top dollar just for the quarter acre of land.

It's a shame though, I quite liked that house and would've loved to be able to fix it up and put a nice deck out the back, maybe a hot tub. I imagine when I get back to Australia I'll just rent out a small unit near my friends though.

Ten on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I still don't have power. This is dumb. Yes it is my fault for letting the bill just sit there for so long but if I'm paying them a reconnect fee it would be super nice of them to actually send somebody out to reconnect my power and stop transferring me to a bunch of different departments.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shouldn't replacing the air filter be management's job?

Any place I've rented, someone pops by and takes care of that kind of thing.

Many apartment complexes do. We have it in the lease that it's the responsibility of the renter though since it's such an amazingly easy task.

Plus, we literally hand them a pack of the things and we still find assholes who never open them and just put them in a hallway closet, which we find later.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Liiya wrote: »
    At the end of the month I will qualify and I will then be looking for a new job elsewhere and moving out for the first time.

I'm a bit scared. More than a bit if I'm being honest, though I'm sure everyone else will think I'm being a sissy.

That is a legit thing to be scared about, I think.

Don't worry too much though, I'm sure you will be fine.

Solar on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i own a condo in rockville, md

the building it's in is kind of old, and the ac is controlled by the association...you can control the temperature in one direction, cold in the hot seasons and hot in the cold

but maryland weather being what it is means that sometimes it'll get up to the eighties in, like, march, when the heating is still on

the temperature in my unit got up to 95°f for a couple days in early april

the association finally caved and switched over to cooling for the development a couple weeks early because some of the older residents were complaining that they were nervous about dying of heatstroke

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Solar wrote: »

I'm glad its normal to be scared then, sometimes I wonder if its just me!

I'll try not to.

Liiya on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i would really love to own a house, just something small but nice with some kind of backyard/patio

but well southern california

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    I still don't have power. This is dumb. Yes it is my fault for letting the bill just sit there for so long but if I'm paying them a reconnect fee it would be super nice of them to actually send somebody out to reconnect my power and stop transferring me to a bunch of different departments.
    I got away with close to 2 years free power once.

I never registered with the power company after I moved in. They sent me letters all the time saying, `Hey... it looks like someone is living here. You should call us and make an account.' Threw that shit right in the garbage can.

One morning I woke up, and didn't have any power. Said, `Welp... was good run.' So, I called them and set up an account. I asked them when it would be turned on. The said it was on. Fuckity fuck fuck fuck. Should have checked the breakers first.

mcp on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I'll try not to.
    the advantages of living someplace by yourself, on your own terms, hugely outweigh the downsides

not everything will be perfect but once you're settled in you'll likely be happier

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Houk wrote: »
    i would really love to own a house, just something small but nice with some kind of backyard/patio

but well southern california

Would you interested in this dump truck full of cash I recently found for a song in a junk yard?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My condo association just had our AGM last night. I was on the board, and was anticipating a relatively easy night as the board collectively felt we upheld the interests of the association diligently throughout the year.

Turns out, the property manager deliberately witheld the 20 and 5-year plans that were established in 2008-2009 from us through the course of the past year (we were all rookies on the board - clue number 1), and we went WAAAY over budget according to the expenditure plans, and are now 40k short in our reserve fund plan, as we're looking at roofing, doors, and parking lot upkeeps at the end of the 2010's. Felt utterly ashamed at our incompetence, but at the same time furious at our property manager for being so misleading through the course of the year.

Also, because of her lack of professionalism and level of incompetence, her actions in the late summer of last year are going to be resulting in a law suit levelled against the board.

Yay. :x

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I'll try not to.
    the advantages of living someplace by yourself, on your own terms, hugely outweigh the downsides

not everything will be perfect but once you're settled in you'll likely be happier

It's mainly that I'll miss my family, even though I can call and visit.

I don't want to be stuck in this town all my life so I know I've got to move, but its still scary. You're right though, and I bet six months in I'll be fine, its worth it as you say.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I never registered with the power company after I moved in. They sent me letters all the time saying, `Hey... it looks like someone is living here. You should call us and make an account.' Threw that shit right in the garbage can.

One morning I woke up, and didn't have any power. Said, `Welp... was good run.' So, I called them and set up an account. I asked them when it would be turned on. The said it was on. Fuckity fuck fuck fuck. Should have checked the breakers first.

7177.jpg

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I'll try not to.

You're not also excited to move out?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

The shitty thing is, their system shows that I payed in time to avoid the disconnect. Only they had actually managed to disconnect it manually. So I still have to pay a reconnect fee, and they keep putting me on hold and transferring me to other departments. Then on multiple occasions now, I have explained that it isn't the power to the whole building being out due to a downed line or something, but that I just need them to come turn my power back on and they just hung up on me.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I'll try not to.

It's mainly that I'll miss my family, even though I can call and visit.

I don't want to be stuck in this town all my life so I know I've got to move, but its still scary. You're right though, and I bet six months in I'll be fine, its worth it as you say.
    The first time I had my own place, no roommates or whatnot... was fucking awesome.

It's great coming home to a quiet, clean apartment, taking your pants off and playing some video games.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    You're not also excited to move out?

Not really. I know, then why move out? Because I want to advance my career, that I'm excited about, I guess that's part of it? I don't know. The independence will be nice I guess. Who knows!

Liiya on