As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Witcher 3: Horse training simulator.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The first thing you need to know is that unlike any other video game ever made, Witcher 2 will redirect your attacks to whichever enemy the camera is facing towards

So don't try to keep attacking something that is offscreen while you reposition the camera to attack the next guy. This will lead to tears

The second thing is that you can hit Alt to use lock-on targeting

These are things the game does not tell you unless you read the manual or look in your journal under the tutorial heading

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also, what does ubersampling do? My computer can run The Witcher 2 pretty well with it on, but I don't really see anything different with it on or off.
    It renders the scene gianthuge and then downscales it. It'll mostly be noticeable on fine details.

Monger on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    the one thing that annoys me with targeting is that the camera sort of swings around to highlight the group of guys behind me when I'm trying to separate one from the group, which causes me to push him right back in the middle

also everyone should use those .ini hacks because I don't think like half of the gfx settings in the launcher get changed properly otherwise

L|ama on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    For some reason enabling blur and motion blur in the .ini doesn't apply the changes in the game proper.

I was going to leave it out anyway, since it led to janky frames when I first tried it, but after the recent tweaks I'm curious how it looks now.

But again, I'm afraid to enable it in the game's menu for fear of overwriting all the other changes I made in the .ini.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    i just clicked the ultra preset, unchecked ultrasampling, and went from there

i've tried it with ultrasampling on, and it makes things a lot softer and less crisp

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Seeing as though you guys are discussing specs, how will this play on an i3-2120 (sandybridge), 4gb, ATI 5750 - 512mb? Outputting to a HDTV so I'd prefer to run in either 1080p (1920x1080) or 720p (1280x720 I think).

I know the graphics card is a bit so-so but I don't play much in the way of high performance games really so it's likely not getting updated for a while. I also have another machine (Dual core 2.8ghz, 4gb ram, 1gb hd 4850) in the spare room which I may want to play it on too. Any opinions on that?

Cheers guys!

In both cases, your processors are more than adequate and your video cards are both subpar.

Edit: Didn't notice the additional page, added the quote for clarification.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Seeing as though you guys are discussing specs, how will this play on an i3-2120 (sandybridge), 4gb, ATI 5750 - 512mb? Outputting to a HDTV so I'd prefer to run in either 1080p (1920x1080) or 720p (1280x720 I think).

I know the graphics card is a bit so-so but I don't play much in the way of high performance games really so it's likely not getting updated for a while. I also have another machine (Dual core 2.8ghz, 4gb ram, 1gb hd 4850) in the spare room which I may want to play it on too. Any opinions on that?

Cheers guys!

In both cases, your processors are more than adequate and your video cards are both subpar.

So too poor full stop, or too poor to run it at medium settings. I'm not too proud for low ;)

The reason I have sub-par video cards is the machine is by and large a media machine and with my older case I had to keep things cool and low-profile. I've got a much better case now (matx but takes an ATX PSU and has awesome cooling and space for full size cards). I'll be upgrading the GPU in the future, but not cash for a few months at the very least.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    news seems to have died down about patches and more dlc/expansions.

probably slogging away on the xbox version right? id have to take a guess and say no more dlc/expansion until after that is out.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Cheers guys!

So too poor full stop, or too poor to run it at medium settings. I'm not too proud for low ;)

The reason I have sub-par video cards is the machine is by and large a media machine and with my older case I had to keep things cool and low-profile. I've got a much better case now (matx but takes an ATX PSU and has awesome cooling and space for full size cards). I'll be upgrading the GPU in the future, but not cash for a few months at the very least.

You could probably run it on low and do OK. Probably not in 1080p though, if you want a playable framerate. Not entirely sure though.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    news seems to have died down about patches and more dlc/expansions.

probably slogging away on the xbox version right? id have to take a guess and say no more dlc/expansion until after that is out.

that's likely.

however, afterwards, i'm very hopeful. "chapter-length expansions" sounds all sorts of awesome.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFF....

Over 20 Steam games added, and I'm starting to think I won't be playing any of them, as I've finished the Prologue and the game continues to climb up in awesomeness and visual excellence.

• Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFF....

Over 20 Steam games added, and I'm starting to think I won't be playing any of them, as I've finished the Prologue and the game continues to climb up in awesomeness and visual excellence.

The game actually isn't very long. You should be able to finish it in a week - assuming you don't spend a long time pondering your choices - before you have to do the mandatory second playthrough.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So far the results are the best I've attempted, with an almost stable 30 fps, but I was wondering if there were any suggestions on any values I could increase further without straining performance.

These are my specs, for reference:
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 7/16/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.22 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.67 GB
    Adapter Description ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

This game is real sexy looking, so I want to optimize as much as I possibly can. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Have you confirmed you get any sort of framerate boost by playing at lowest settings? When I was using my E8400 and 4850, the game had pretty much the same framerate with any settings. I don't know if they ever explained that or fixed it with a patch or if it was a remnant of the DRM. Just make sure there's room to maneuver before you try tweaking one or two options.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dropping the game's resolution provides a huge fps boost. Also in testing I got better frames using the LOW preset and then moving up most of the settings.

I don't use an ATI card though which I know have some additional issues.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited July 2011
    ok, totally didn't see the whole (end of act 2 iorveth spoiler)
    'saskia is a dragon' thing coming

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Wolfprint wrote: »
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFF....

The game actually isn't very long. You should be able to finish it in a week - assuming you don't spend a long time pondering your choices - before you have to do the mandatory second playthrough.

That's rather surprising, if not disappointing; I just started in the village after the prologue, and it feels like I've barely gotten started. Is this also taking into account sidequests?
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Dropping the game's resolution provides a huge fps boost. Also in testing I got better frames using the LOW preset and then moving up most of the settings.

I don't use an ATI card though which I know have some additional issues.

Oh no, the framerate's fine for me; it's pretty much a consistent 30 fps, followed by an occasional 60 fps during indoor areas. I was just wondering if my specs were beefy enough to further increase the visuals without losing that steady framerate, but I guess it's best I don't dabble with it further.

I just can't resist the temptation because it just looks so gorgeous.

Anyway, is there a way to find out the level requirements for each quest? Are there level requirements? Because I accepted this one quest early on...
    where I have to investigate a cave in order to clear an elf girl's name

and I get slaughtered by the enemies inside. As in they can take me out in two hits. No matter how many times I restarted with different tactics, I eventually get taken down. Is it supposed to be this hard, or is this mission too high for my level (6)?

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Chapters 1 and 2 are the longest. Chapter 3 is super-short, which compresses the game-time somewhat. I played it slow, and finished all the sidequests for one playthrough, and I think I managed about two weeks for the first run.

There aren't level requirements.

I know what cave you're referring to, and it's a bitch only because there are plenty of those little bastards. Remember to prepare and drink your potions - Swallow, Tawny Owl and/or Rook are good for going toe-to-toe and use your traps and bombs. Find Cedric for Grapeshot, and make plenty. It's the best bomb in the game. Toss them freely and the cave will be a breeze.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There aren't level requirements, but the first few levels can be pretty rough. Make liberal use of quen in that cave, drink a swallow and a rook and something else before hand, oil your sword up, don't be afraid to just run like hell when you get mobbed by nekkers - they'll stop pursuing shortly after the little bridge. You can let them retreat back into the cave a bit, roll in and try to pick off a straggler, back off, or just wait for your vigor and health to catch up a bit before heading back into the fray.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, bombs are civilization there; don't underestimate stuff like traps and bombs in the game on lower levels when your signs and swordsmanship skills aren't developed yet. A lot of the game really goes down to technique. The first time I played through that part on normal, I got slaughtered repeatedly and sort of limped through it using some cheese. But on the second, on hard, and knowing what I'm actually doing now, I breezed through it on an an even lower character level than the first time around.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The shortness of chapter 3 really surprised me. Was sorta planning on doing a bit of story stuff until the guards stopped attacking me on sight and then doing all the sidequests, but nope.

L|ama on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Grapeshot is the key to the Nekker cave in chapter one

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Without spoiling anything, just keep in mind that different types of enemies present different styles of challenge in this game. The prologue has you fighting a lot of humans who swing swords. That's completely different from swarming monsters. So it's not your level but your tactics and items. Of course, everything gets easier as you level up and improve your skills.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Finally was able to cut through that cave; turns out I missed the tiny little message on the bottom right that said the type of sword I was using was crappy against monsters. A couple level-ups and enhancements later and I'm cutting through them like butter.

Only problem is that the quest stopped pointing me where to go. I basically have to search for
    the elven bitch that I sparred, only to have her send her guys on me

and it's a really big (and dangerous) forest. The same thing happened with the troll quest. How am I supposed to handle these search quests?

Also, how do I apply mutagens?

And finally, when adding enchant potions to my weapons, does the effect apply to both of my swords? If not, I can't find a way to apply it to my secondary blade.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Finally was able to cut through that cave; turns out I missed the tiny little message on the bottom right that said the type of sword I was using was crappy against monsters.
    Oh. Well then.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Tim James wrote: »
    Finally was able to cut through that cave; turns out I missed the tiny little message on the bottom right that said the type of sword I was using was crappy against monsters.
    Oh. Well then.

It was still a battle of attrition, mind you; I mainly stuck to smoke bombs as I couldn't find my way back to Cedric without getting attacked by monsters. I basically kept my distance, doubling back and forth and dispatching each Nekker one at a time.

I feel it wouldn't have been nearly as difficult if the targeting system wasn't so finicky; too many times I find myself leaping across the other side of the screen attacking someone when I meant to target the dude in front of me.

That's my only real quibble with the game, along with the annoyingly repetitive dialog from NPCs.

Stop asking about why I have two swords you little shit.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Can girls be witchers too?

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My balls itch.

[tiny]Not referencing the first game. Just letting you know.[/tiny]

Monger on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I found the easy way to deal with the majority of nekkers in the cave was to lure them into the entrance tunnel, and throw a dancing star at them. They get set on fire and die. Any that do manage to get close get cut down, and any that don't try to come through the fire can be killed with grapeshots.

Dram on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Finally was able to cut through that cave; turns out I missed the tiny little message on the bottom right that said the type of sword I was using was crappy against monsters. A couple level-ups and enhancements later and I'm cutting through them like butter.

Only problem is that the quest stopped pointing me where to go. I basically have to search for
    the elven bitch that I sparred, only to have her send her guys on me

and it's a really big (and dangerous) forest. The same thing happened with the troll quest. How am I supposed to handle these search quests?

I suggest clearing the nests in the forests first. You can pick up the quests on the notice boards. Nekkers and endregas spawn at random in the forests, but removing the nests means you don't have to deal with hordes of nekkers when you near one.

You basically have to be careful. Swampy, monster-filled dark forest clearly does not mean walk in the park. Familiarise yourself with the terrain - use the river and landmarks as guides.

Pay attention when NPCs tell you stuff. That elven bitch would have told you where to meet her. There is only one instance in this game - related to this quest - where the game actually doesn't tell you where to go.
    Also, how do I apply mutagens?

You can only apply mutagens to abilities with slots. These are little circles at the right-hand corner of the ability. Mutagen slots only appear on abilities near the end of the tree, and the Alchemy tree has the most slots (5). Never ever use the Lesser or normal mutagens. Always go for Greater. Madness, Critical Effects and Strength mutagens are the best.
    And finally, when adding enchant potions to my weapons, does the effect apply to both of my swords? If not, I can't find a way to apply it to my secondary blade.

Click and drag the oil or enhancement to the weapon you want applied to in the Inventory screen. Double-clicking causes it to apply only to the steel sword I think.

Oh. And, KILL THE SQUIRRELS!

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'm using a gamepad...:?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

select it and press a for the steel sword or x for the silver sword

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

select it and press a for the steel sword or x for the silver sword

Ah okay, much better. :^:

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh shit!

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/namco-bandai-sues-cd-projekt-red/
    It seems that Namco Bandai can’t accept the fact that THQ will distribute the X360 version of The Witcher 2 and as a result of that, the company has filed a case against CD Project RED. According to the lawsuit, CD Projekt RED broke their agreement by removing the DRM protection without the publisher’s authority and by choosing THQ for the distribution of The Witcher 2′s X360 version.

Moreover, Namco Bandai has also ceased payments to CD Projekt RED for the game’s retail sales.

Dram on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Whuttt. I bought the retail version. Which basically means I didn't give money to CDP? Shit.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Suing over removal of DRM that any half-baked piracy group can get around with a fixed .exe and a .dll is hilarious.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's Namco. The company is its own punchline.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dram wrote: »
    Oh shit!

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/namco-bandai-sues-cd-projekt-red/
    It seems that Namco Bandai can’t accept the fact that THQ will distribute the X360 version of The Witcher 2 and as a result of that, the company has filed a case against CD Project RED. According to the lawsuit, CD Projekt RED broke their agreement by removing the DRM protection without the publisher’s authority and by choosing THQ for the distribution of The Witcher 2′s X360 version.

Moreover, Namco Bandai has also ceased payments to CD Projekt RED for the game’s retail sales.

Good thing I got it from GoG, they got all the monies they deserved that way :P

EDIT: and the CEO's response is pure awesome:
    “As with most cases, we first tried to end the dispute peacefully. Attempts failed and because of this, we hoped that our partner would send the case to the court. The agreement that we signed last year, concerned only the distribution of “The Witcher 2″ for the PC. The records were carefully clarified to avoid any ambiguity.

Namco Bandai have options when choosing the priority of our distributor’s version of the Xbox 360. It could use, but not taken advantage of certain preferences. In this situation, we chose the offer that THQ made us.

Our financial situation is very good at the moment and the lack of a few million does not have any impact on current activities. Withholding of payments means only that after some time, our partner will have to give us the money.

I hope that the whole thing will end with a pre-litigation settlement. If it doesn’t, I am sure that we will win the case and then the loser will pay for our lawyers.”

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, is there a "Corpses Don't Disappear" mod out yet?

Such a simple thing, and they didn't in The Witcher, but it makes me angry. Thank you, game, I have a computer that can handle corpses on the screen. I don't want to spam my amulet looking for little goo piles. It's immersion breaking and dumb, and I'm not playing the game on a console so what's the point? Add an option, if anything.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    It's Namco. The company is its own punchline.

I'd boycott them as a company if I didn't enjoy their Tekken games.

Or Pac-man DX.

Or their Tales games, were I allowed to purchase them.

Still a very shitty company.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I can't tell if that is overconfidence, or Eastern European tongue-in-cheekiness.

Wolfprint on