As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo fans launching massive campaign to get Wii RPGs localized, Reggie laughs

• Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well isn't this some interesting news...

Mathieu Minel, the guy from Nintendo of France who said he couldn't show Xenoblade/Last Story/Pandora's Tower at E3 because NoA wasn't going to sell it, is leaving the company.

http://translate.google.fr/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://www.boursier.com/actualites/news/jeux-video-un-depart-chez-nintendo-441097.html

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    BTP wrote: »

Mathieu Minel, the guy from Nintendo of France who said he couldn't show Xenoblade/Last Story/Pandora's Tower at E3 because NoA wasn't going to sell it, is leaving the company.

http://translate.google.fr/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://www.boursier.com/actualites/news/jeux-video-un-depart-chez-nintendo-441097.html

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Well he clearly didn't say that because he wanted to stay on with Nintendo. This entire thing was definitely started by NoE. I guess they arenthappy with how NoA is doing things.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Without nuance or qualification: Fuck Nintendo of America.

I do this on behalf of Nintendo's shareholders, not the pining American fans.

Absalon on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Absalon wrote: »

See you have a legitimate gripe. NOA has potentially cost you money.

These all have the potential to be franchises on par with final fantasy.Well not Pandora that's a rouge like those are niche to the core. The other two have the names and pedigree to pull it off. The fact that only Nintendos largest division ignored all three is a bit off.

Rainfall would do better appealing to shareholders honestly

King Riptor on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Of course, as soon as I post that, a thread on NeoGAF appears suggesting this is because he unofficially announced The Last Story for EU at E3, and thus breaking an NDA.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Of course, as soon as I post that, a thread on NeoGAF appears suggesting this is because he unofficially announced The Last Story for EU at E3, and thus breaking an NDA.

It was done on purpose. You don't have such a major fuck up regarding an ND A unless youre making sure people are put under scrutiny or you're assigning blame.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm fairly sure the majority of Nintendo's shareholders would not agree with your assessment.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011

These all have the potential to be franchises on par with final fantasy.Well not Pandora that's a rouge like those are niche to the core. The other two have the names and pedigree to pull it off. The fact that only Nintendos largest division ignored all three is a bit off.

If shareholders have a legitimate gripe, then the fans do as well. If localization to the US is a positive-NPV project that won't commit a firm to unpredictable costs, then you do it, no discussion.

Absalon on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I've never said otherwise. I simply don't care for the attitude some people seem to have about this.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

If shareholders have a legitimate gripe, then the fans do as well. If localization to the US is a positive-NPV project that won't commit a firm to unpredictable costs, then you do it, no discussion.

I'm both a fan and shareholder. A few years ago, you had to buy a minimum of 100 shares or none at all. Clearly Nintendo only feels the need to address that same group of super-rich, despite anyone being capable of being a shareholder now. I'd be asking them why the money of American fans is no good to them, and communicate that to other shareholders.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I've never said otherwise. I simply don't care for the attitude some people seem to have about this.

What attitude, feeling entitled to not being treated like vapor after buying a console that now has Skyward Sword and nothing else in the pipeline?

Unless people are being tacky, annoyingly emotional, violent or threatening towards Nintendo as a firm or a grouping of employees, I don't care for your not caring about 'attitudes'. There might be some lack of discipline or perspective, a scarcity of nuance, when paying customers feel like they are being spited by people who stubbornly insist they know best and are afraid of walking back. American fans feel Nintendo are just doubling down and don't want to set a precedent... A precedent of not denying shareholders and customers something that really shouldn't be denied them for any reason.

As a European, I know what it feels like to be utterly perplexed and frustrated by Nintendo. Great muppity hellshit do I know.

Absalon on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    As a European, I know what it feels like to be utterly perplexed and frustrated by all video game companies.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man, reading around the net on this whole thing, this is kind of bad

It makes me completely rethink buying a Wii-U, which would be the first nintendo console I skip out on.
    I mean, it wouldn't be so bad if there was literally nothing on the Wii coming out that is interesting to me all year aside from Skyward Sword. I feel like I have a useless thing beside my TV, and can't in good conscience recommend nintendo hardware to friends. And after the spiel they gave at E3 about recapturing the core market, withholding these titles right now when the launch schedule is so empty is just about the worst choice I can think of.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Hahaha, fuck no.

EDIT: Completely delusional. Xenogears has never been popular. Sakaguchi hasn't had a successful game since FFV. Unlike Xenoblade, The Last Story isn't even that good. Shareholders are served by Nintendo focusing on games that can be become major hits, not focusing on niche crap.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    Shareholders are served by Nintendo focusing on games that can be become major hits, not focusing on niche crap.
    Translation: if you don't cream your panties over the opportunity to buy the shit out of Link Touches Things on the WiiU, go fuck yourself!

[tiny]After you give us your $400. And buy Zelda, I guess. We should be releasing one for WiiU in like 2015, probably.[/tiny]

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Why does Nintendo bother publishing niche crap at all? For some reason they feel it has its place in Japan and Europe, but not NA.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    As mentioned before, the weak US dollar means that niche games would have to perform better in US than EU/JP to yield similar income.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -Tal wrote: »
    Why does Nintendo bother publishing niche crap at all? For some reason they feel it has its place in Japan and Europe, but not NA.

Because to some degree building a strong, vibrant platform is more important that the return on investment of any one individual game. You've heard of stores offering loss-leaders as a sale to bring in customers? Same concept.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That makes sense at launch, less so at this point in the Wii's lifecycle: the platform is what it is, it's not going to attract new developers and the type of people these games appeal to will generally either already own a Wii or have no intent of purchasing one.

There are two arguments for releasing the games: the first is that they'll make money, and the second is PR: a statement of intent about hardcore gaming. And as for making money: these are niche games in the West and mainstream in Japan, yet neither Xenoblade nor Last Story sold particularly well in Japan. That bodes poorly for them here.

Seol on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »

Because to some degree building a strong, vibrant platform is more important that the return on investment of any one individual game. You've heard of stores offering loss-leaders as a sale to bring in customers? Same concept.

At this point the Wii is past the time when that kind of thing would be effective. If anything, you're arguing the business case for saving them for WiiU ports.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Every imported copy of euro Xenoblade to come with a free keychain depicting a small paddle with "WEEABOO" engraved in the side. More at 11.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I don't get it.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Shrill, gauche and not airtight response to the profitability arguments: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition

He does back up with sales figures - games like these do better in the US than in the EU...

Basically, Nintendo are shitting a hole right through the bed with the lights and the webcam on. The kind of people who have the temerity to care about these games are precisely the kind of people who will remember this until the WiiU launch. You know, those of kernels which are adamantine.

Absalon on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    He does back up with sales figures - games like these do better in the US than in the EU...

Quantity sold doesn't mean anything if you don't factor in the depreciation of the value of the dollar. Selling 100,000 copies of a US$40 game makes less profit for a Japanese publisher now than it did four years ago.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    gtrmp wrote: »

Quantity sold doesn't mean anything if you don't factor in the depreciation of the value of the dollar. Selling 100,000 copies of a US$40 game makes less profit for a Japanese publisher now than it did four years ago.

$1 is still better than $0 if you have a game on the market.

Sheep on
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Shrill, gauche and not airtight response to the profitability arguments: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition

Basically, Nintendo are shitting a hole right through the bed with the lights and the webcam on. The kind of people who have the temerity to care about these games are precisely the kind of people who will remember this until the WiiU launch. You know, those of kernels which are adamantine.

I don't think it works like that. But I do believe that it is those kind of people who write articles and blogs and whatever else that is needed to create positive hype for something before it reaches the mainstream media, so yeah. The kind of positive marketing that Nintendo threw away at this opportunity couldn't have been bought.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Considering it's being sold for under US retail in the UK, I'm calling BS on this.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Where are you getting that information? GAME is taking preorders at £50.

edit: Amazon isn't indicative of the retail price.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That £50 price is for the collector's edition that comes with the controller.

http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/nintendo-wii/xenoblade-chronicles/10501221.html?affil=BUYAT

I'm pretty sure that's without the VAT tax which is why it's that price. Remember, UK prices typically include a 20%(not too sure on exact rates, someone from the UK can be more exact on this) tax where as prices in the US don't include any applicable taxes. The money that goes to the publisher isn't any more in the UK than it is in the US.

Rakai on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That site states the RRP is £40, which is probably what Nintendo uses in their calculations. If you don't include VAT, it's £32 which is a little over $50. So it's not under the US RRP in the strictest sense. Also, I assume France is where the bulk of sales lies, since they're apparently sort of crazy about stuff from Japan, and €40 (€50 including VAT) is far more than $50.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    As an aside, Japan blows them all out of the water. Its RRP is ¥5800 for standard Wii games (¥5510 without a VAT of 5%), which amounts to almost $72 (or $68 without VAT). Yikes. Japan sure has inflation.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rakai wrote: »

Considering it's being sold for under US retail in the UK, I'm calling BS on this.

Nintendo lost $700 million thanks specifically to the declining value of the dollar in 2010, and the dollar is even weaker now than it was then (right now the dollar exchanges for 81 yen, where it went for 88 this time last year). A game from a Japanese developer or publisher that would have needed to sell 60,000 copies to break even in the US a year or two ago would need to sell even more copies if it came out here now, unless the publisher bumped the price of their new niche Wii game up to $60 or more.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It wasn't the declining dollar, but the declining everything in relation to the yen. That includes European currency as I was pointing out. The UK is the largest console game market in Europe which is why I bring it up.

Let's make things simple. XSEED is distributing Solatorobo in the US. A DS game that retails for $35. DS carts cost more and make less per copy yet a tiny company like XSEED can publish a game that will sell far fewer copies than Xenoblade, yet Nintendo, the fucking richest video game division in the world cannot localize Xenoblade? This has nothing to do with the pure economics of a single game.

Rakai on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I found an interesting take on the Rainfall debacle. This guy asserts that what Nintendo means when they said they would "cater to the hardcore", they meant they would have the CoDs and the Maddens and the Random Blockbuster Shooter #207 on the Wii U, because that's what "core" means to them. Not the super niche JRPG market.

http://gamingbus.tumblr.com/

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I found an interesting take on the Rainfall debacle. This guy asserts that what Nintendo means when they said they would "cater to the hardcore", they meant they would have the CoDs and the Maddens and the Random Blockbuster Shooter #207 on the Wii U, because that's what "core" means to them. Not the super niche JRPG market.

That's an "interesting take"? I thought that was the obvious.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    It wasn't the declining dollar, but the declining everything in relation to the yen. That includes European currency as I was pointing out. The UK is the largest console game market in Europe which is why I bring it up.

Let's make things simple. XSEED is distributing Solatorobo in the US. A DS game that retails for $35. DS carts cost more and make less per copy yet a tiny company like XSEED can publish a game that will sell far fewer copies than Xenoblade, yet Nintendo, the fucking richest video game division in the world cannot localize Xenoblade? This has nothing to do with the pure economics of a single game.
    Well, it kind of does - a small profit in percentage terms is a much bigger RoI for XSEED then Nintendo. But you're very right in a sense. If you're assuming a small profit, it's literally making money on targeted marketing to a subset of the market that you want to capture.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Vegan wrote: »

That's an "interesting take"? I thought that was the obvious.
    *shrug*

I found it interesting because people have been saying that releasing these three games would have been a great way to start catering to the core, like they said they would.

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Nintendo has been using 'core' to mean 'anything that requires more precise input than an epileptic seizure' since about two days after the Wii launched, haven't they?

These terms are just stupid and imprecise. I took it to mean they plan to put out games that appeal to customers who were around back when 'blue ocean' was just a redundant use of an adjective and not a strategy.

JihadJesus on