As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vancouver PAX Forumer Events: 2011 Edition

• Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tent: I have a tent, will be me and ash, that's all it'll fit.
    Driving: I'm making ash drive! And we can fit 1 person, so we can take Oz
    Cooler: yep, we have one!
    Leaving: I have Friday off, but not sure when ash can leave (I'll post back when I know)

I'll see if I can get some extra firewood. Will there be some kind of grill or grill rack? Is there anything we should definitely bring or not bring?

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ok. Grill & Charcoal live at the site.

and if you would like to make a donation to our AMAZING host for site improvements, please PM me for his paypal address

And there will be potable water on site. :)

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm in for puttputt/lazertag/mongo bbq/abbotsford/wings.

Not sure about the movie nights as I was pretty dead by the time I got home and had to go to work the next morning. I might see about getting Wednesday before PAX off, in which case I'll go to Back to the Future.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    nianianianianiania Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tent: Do not has.
    Driving: No. Need ride.
    Leaving: I am a Seattleite heathen that was invited to this Canadia party. Need a ride from Queen Anne to camping, can be ready at any time.
    Cooler: Do not has.

nianiania on
    2014 Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament
    Hufflepuff: Death Eaters / Head of House
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    In for BBQ/wings... Not sure about anything else.

parabola on
  • Options
    faerielaurelynfaerielaurelyn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    RSVPing for:

Drinks at Cactus Club on Friday July 15

Puttputt & Laser tag August 13

Maybe on the Mongolian grill August 14

Abbotsford Castle Raid August 19

Wings August 24

And Wil Wheaton (not in a kilt, sadfase) Movie Night August 30

faerielaurelyn on
    No, YOU make ME a sandwich!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    RSVPing for:

One more down...maybe now Abs1n will stop texting me at ungodly hours of the morning...for real though, why am I in charge of IRC people? :P

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have suddenly become extremely tempted to dust off my costume and find tickets to a HP midnight showing tomorrow. But I'm pretty sure Mukmuk wouldn't be interested. Does anyone have the morning off or would be interesting in staying up late?

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    RSVPing for:

One more down...maybe now Abs1n will stop texting me at ungodly hours of the morning...for real though, why am I in charge of IRC people? :P

LOL bite me. :P

Yesterday I invited you to something not on the forums and said if you are on IRC and see anyone who hasn't RSVP'd to mention to do it. Today, after you did that, I texted to thank you for doing so and asked who you actually ran into on IRC. I'd hardly call that in charge.

But on second thought.... you practically get paid to be on there at "work", so someone should probably actually give you some work to do. I hereby nominate you to be "Lord of IRC Vancouverites". Anyone want to second the nomination? :winky:

But yes I am trying to get some better arrangements for some of the events, for which I need hard numbers... so if you are lurking and plan to come, please post.
    Sumi wrote: »
    I have suddenly become extremely tempted to dust off my costume and find tickets to a HP midnight showing tomorrow. But I'm pretty sure Mukmuk wouldn't be interested. Does anyone have the morning off or would be interesting in staying up late?

If you want to do the midnight showing at the Rio I might be able to... just due to proximety.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    midnight showings don't work too well for me, because it's quite difficult to get home afterwards :P

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    DannehDanneh Registered User regular
    I humbly submit for the OP:

http://irlevents.com

IRL Events is this little company in Vancouver who I have no affiliation with whatsoever that lists all the geek-related events in Vancouver. It's a good way to know what the goings-on are in the GVRD. Additionally, the forums (forum.irlevents.com) are a great place to see not only discussion of said events, but a slew of community meetups and the like, many of which don't entirely suck and are actually pretty alright.

Obviously adding everything on the IRL Events calendar to this thread is unrealistic and could be a full time job (I know), so if anything gets added to the OP, I would ask that it be:

http://irlevents.com/?p=186
    Cos & Effect, this super snazzy cosplay, costume and alternative fashion convention happening August 13 - 14 at UBC's SUB. It's $20 bucks. I promise that $20 will go to a good cause and not sit around amongst barely organized piles of money on my bedroom floor.

http://irlevents.com/?p=101
    Lancouver, this nifty gaming convention that has pretty much all types of games. It's happening July 24th at the Great Northern Way Campus.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Danneh wrote:
    I humbly submit for the OP:
    http://irlevents.com/?p=186
    Cos & Effect, this super snazzy cosplay, costume and alternative fashion convention happening August 13 - 14 at UBC's SUB. It's $20 bucks. I promise that $20 will go to a good cause and not sit around amongst barely organized piles of money on my bedroom floor.

And remeber that doesn't need to conflict with the other events for that weekend.

Feel free to be extra geeky and go to this, then come to the mini put and laser tag event I have that evening... still in costume. :ar!

*trying out new emoticons... pirate = closest thing to cosplay. lol.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    These forums are going to take some getting used to, methinks. Also, I submit <):) for cowsplay.

Ok...apparently the "cowboy" emoticon doesn't work, it gets loaded as 2 separate emoticons. Bothersome.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Do you hate BC so much that on the long weekend set for it's celebration, you're going to leave it and go camping and/or cross-border shopping?

I didn't think so. Okay, well some of you are... those people can stop reading now.

Since you're staying here, and tending to your post-fireworks injuries, I think it would be best if you not only came over and played some videogames and boardgames... but also if you stayed and had a fire with us, too. We have marshmallows, and lots of wood. (heheh, wood)

Send me an email if you want to RSVP, but the details are the same:

Who: you

What: Game

Where: my house

When: Sunday July 31, 3pm to close

Why: because I hate Bellis Fair as much as I hate sleeping on the ground.

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    honestD wrote:
    When: Sunday May 31, 3pm to close

I'll be there! *loads 2012 calendar* Seriously though, camping! I'll bring board games and play them on the Saturday and we can be there in spirit.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    Okay so midnight HP didn't work out. I watched 7.1 in it's place. Now I need to see 7.2 asap though. Anyone interested in seeing an early show on a weeknight?

• Options
    Sumi wrote:
    Okay so midnight HP didn't work out. I watched 7.1 in it's place. Now I need to see 7.2 asap though. Anyone interested in seeing an early show on a weeknight?

I could be up for that. Tuesday is cheap night, although it might be pretty busy. Also, I'd rather not see it in 3D, if possible.

• Options
    degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    tr0tsky wrote:
    Sumi wrote:

I could be up for that. Tuesday is cheap night, although it might be pretty busy. Also, I'd rather not see it in 3D, if possible.

Yeah. If this is a weeknight thing, Tuesday would be great. It's like $12 with popcorn and drinks at Cineplex theatres. Count me in if you guys are planning this and it's happening in Downtown Vancouver

• Options
    Yeah. If this is a weeknight thing, Tuesday would be great. It's like $12 with popcorn and drinks at Cineplex theatres. Count me in if you guys are planning this and it's happening in Downtown Vancouver

They actually changed it. It's just 6 bucks for admission now, and then you pay full price for concessions. Which works out better for some and worse for others. Either way, better than going and paying 13 bucks just to get in.

• Options
    DannehDanneh Registered User regular
    Ooh, count me in for HP7.2. Which theatre, Metro? Scotia? Coquitlam?

• Options
    Mom2Kat wrote:
    For those of you in Van. We are going to be coming down from Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal, what is the better border crossing to cross over at? I really ony know of Peace Arch and Sumas and would love to know which one gets us on the right higway.

Either one will work. Peace Arch goes directly onto I-5, Sumas connects to I-5 pretty quickly. There's not much difference on the US side based on which you cross through, so you're probably best off just going with whichever has the least wait time when you're heading to the border.

• Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    I think you guys should have decided to come camping on the Sunshine coast. Then I could come! But I understand every hating to take 2 ferries to stay on the main land.

I wish we could go to some of these events but we will be at PAX!

For those of you in Van. We are going to be coming down from Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal, what is the better border crossing to cross over at? I really ony know of Peace Arch and Sumas and would love to know which one gets us on the right higway.

• Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    It's a pretty fair bet that going as far as Sumas (even though the lines are pretty short) will not pay off timewise as you'll end up going over half an hour east and having to cut back. Even Aldergrove is closer and probably still not worthwhile. I'd go for Peace Arch or Pacific Highway.
    tr0tsky wrote:
    Mom2Kat wrote:

Either one will work. Peace Arch goes directly onto I-5, Sumas connects to I-5 pretty quickly. There's not much difference on the US side based on which you cross through, so you're probably best off just going with whichever has the least wait time when you're heading to the border.

• Options
    It's a pretty fair bet that going as far as Sumas (even though the lines are pretty short) will not pay off timewise as you'll end up going over half an hour east and having to cut back. Even Aldergrove is closer and probably still not worthwhile. I'd go for Peace Arch or Pacific Highway.

Oh right. I confused Sumas with Pac Highway. Replace Sumas with Pac Highway in my post >.>

• Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    Thanks guys! I kinda of figured that from looking at he map, but was wondering if the wait times might have made it smarter to head a bit east. I really only have ever crossed near Grandforks/Christina lake and gone down to Chewaila or Sopkane. And if there was another car infront of you at the crossing it was probably part of your group anyway!

• Options
    MaetrixMaetrix Registered User regular
    Mom2Kat wrote:
    Thanks guys! I kinda of figured that from looking at he map, but was wondering if the wait times might have made it smarter to head a bit east. I really only have ever crossed near Grandforks/Christina lake and gone down to Chewaila or Sopkane. And if there was another car infront of you at the crossing it was probably part of your group anyway!

The truck crossing at 264th was always our little secret when going across the border, but apparently other people have since learned of it. The border-crossings are usually pretty well documented wait-wise both on radio and on teh interwebz, so check out volumes around the time you expect to be hitting the boarder previously to heading out.

Blog | Twitter | Raptr | BUTTONEER!
    PAX2011 STATUS:"WAS MONDO AWESOME!"
    PAX2012 STATUS:"Is it too soon yet?!"
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    thank you to everyone who came out for dinner and drinks last night!! I had an amazing time and you guys all helped make my *cough* 25th *cough* birthday epic. I am currently on a train to Seattle and I'm really feeling the pain.

Good Job guys!!!

<3<3<3

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    SmallLady wrote:
    thank you to everyone who came out for dinner and drinks last night!! I had an amazing time and you guys all helped make my *cough* 25th *cough* birthday epic. I am currently on a train to Seattle and I'm really feeling the pain.

Good Job guys!!!

<3<3<3

Best $20 I've spent lately.... :-"

Anyway..... So you're already hurting and you're on your way to Seattle for more? Going to make Sunday morning interesting for you. lol.

• Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    Must...move...out west...

<@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options

YEP!

Also, I had an awesome time last night, thanks to an awesome group of people, and one awesome girl having a birthday.

• Options
    afreakafreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Put me down for Wings night. It's like up the street from my office so.

Sumi wrote:

YEP!

Also, I had an awesome time last night, thanks to an awesome group of people, and one awesome girl having a birthday.

Yeah. It was rad to see everybody last night. :)

afreak on
  • Options
    TherosTheros Registered User regular
    A friendly reminder that the camping trip at Camano Island is two weeks away! It's probably also a good time to check that all of your camping equipment works and/or is still present, heh.

• Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    Theros wrote:
    A friendly reminder that the camping trip at Camano Island is two weeks away! It's probably also a good time to check that all of your camping equipment works and/or is still present, heh.

And also, is there an address for the campsite?? Or directions? And also, does it have easy access to some kind of bathroom facility? (This will factor into my decision to bring alcohol or not)

• Options
    TherosTheros Registered User regular
    We'll need to extract some information from SmallLady for directions and so forth, but as far as facilities go, it's very basic. There's an outhouse, but no running water or electricity. We'll need to bring water in and there might be a generator? I'm not sure.

• Options
    So HP tuesday, roughly 7pm. I want to buy tickets in advance. Which theatre works best for everyone?

• Options
    de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    Sumi wrote:
    So HP tuesday, roughly 7pm. I want to buy tickets in advance. Which theatre works best for everyone?

I don't really have a preference for theatre, but I'll throw my hat into the ring for seeing the movie. Can give a few other people rides as necessary.

• Options
    Sumi wrote:

I'd prefer scotiabank.... but really doesn't matter as long as I can haz transit access.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Okay scotiabank it is. They have a non-3d showing that starts at 6:40, and that's the one I will be at. I intend to arrive at 5:30 because I hate sitting in the very front and I can always keep myself occupied with my DS. So I guess RSVP if you are coming and if I should save you a seat.

Sumi on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    Or save me a spot in line :P I probably won't be there at 5:30 but should be shortly after.

• Options
    BombchelleBombchelle Registered User regular
    Save a spot for me... Though I should be able to make it there for 5:30.

This discussion has been closed.