As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So an @, a D and a & walk into a bar

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've played a few Roguelikes, but I spent the most time with Elona.

Mostly because it was totally animes, and pretty easy.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I downloaded nethack and did a buncha things but I'm not quite sure I get it, because I've never played this type of game before (except for trying a little DF).

You just...do stuff? Because I ran out of space to explore and thought that was the end but couldn't find a real end.

Goose! on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Try the visual client that comes with the game, it makes things like staircases a bit more obvious, and I find it a bit simpler to navigate.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I did and ran out of staircases

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is it possible that the staircase you seek is behind a hidden door?

I mean, it seems cruel and unusual, but possible.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    or underneath the remains of something you killed

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There is a homebrew nethack thingo for DS if anyone cares.
    It is pretty cool, and playing it wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be. I think it is 3.4.3 or whatever the stable release for ages was.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    one of the reasons nethack is so awesome is because there's a port for it for basically any device you can think of that has a screen

or two, in this case

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It uses the tileset that comes packaged with pretty much every release as well, which is nice.
    I think it has sort of a minimap as well, since your screen can't see a whole lot at once unless you stop to make it move around.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone remember Larn? Back when we got our first home PC back in '87, that was one of the two games we had installed on it from the start (that and Chuck Yeager's Flight Simulator).

rlArq.png

Basically, there were 15 levels to beat. 10 levels of the dungeon, then go back to the home level and beat 5 levels of volcano, grab the potion of cure dianthroritis from the invisible endboss, and get back in time to cure your daughter. They had a store on the home level where you could buy equipment and consumables, a college where you could spend time to learn things, a bank that would pay gold for gemstones you found, a variety of spells you could learn and cast, the usual assortment of potions and scrolls, and I was playing this game years before I came across Hack, Rogue, or any of the others.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Only roguelike I've ever played was Elona, in all it's broken english glory. It was pretty decent, if you got over getting your ass kicked by everything at the start.

Loathing on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Goose! wrote: »
    So I downloaded nethack and did a buncha things but I'm not quite sure I get it, because I've never played this type of game before (except for trying a little DF).

You just...do stuff? Because I ran out of space to explore and thought that was the end but couldn't find a real end.

the point is to get to the bottom and then get to the top again. Well, I actually have not played nethack, but for roguelikes it is either get all the way to the bottom, or make a trip down to retrieve an artifact. The "game" is seeing how far down you can get without dying, since there is no save state your journey is completely perilous.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    For me, Nethack is usually a die-by-running-out-of-food game.

Or die-because-I-ate-the-wrong-thing game.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like how in Nethack, there is a special food that you can change the name of in an ini file. I think it's a slime mold by default, but you can make it so you eat penises and drink penis juice.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I like how in Nethack, I found a shop, picked up and equipped the 24k gold vorpal sword and used it to kill the shopkeep, then ran off giggling into the night.

8-)

Fyndir on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I played IVAN for a while, and I thought it was pretty awesome. I'd always try to get my limbs chopped off as early as possible so I could upgrade to artificial ones. Then I'd get a leg made of banana flesh and die to a mutant bunny.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like how in Nethack, there is a special food that you can change the name of in an ini file. I think it's a slime mold by default, but you can make it so you eat penises and drink penis juice.

You can name and rename basically anything you can carry.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    BYToady wrote: »

You can name and rename basically anything you can carry.

Yeah but that's not permanent across all sessions.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No, Nethack is taking the wrong door and staring down the snout of something that can kill you before you can pull the trigger.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »
    For me, Nethack is usually a die-by-running-out-of-food game.

Or die-because-I-ate-the-wrong-thing game.

were you using #pray?

Jars on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Nope. Never occurred to me that that might work.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I assumed #pray was a joke and would just result in some message about the gods mocking me?

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    your god can get you out of almost anything in nethack but if your prayer count has not timed out(around 1000 turns) they can get very angry.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Once I figured out the basic poisonous monsters (kobolds are the main ones early on, cockatrices and the like are obviously no-gos, and hopefully you have poison resistance later), and to never eat a monster that you didn't see die (you don't know how long it's been sitting there rotting) I pretty much never had a problem with food.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Look sometimes a dude just wants to eat a rotting corpse.

I think maybe orcs were good with eating corpses and not getting sick?
    I'm pretty there was something about them eating humanoids (maybe even other orcs) and it not angering their god.

I just ate all the corpses I wanted all the time.

E: Then there were vampires in SLASH'EM who were fucking tough, but you needed to feed on things, I can't remember if it had to be live, or just hit the ground very recently. But food became a problem pretty quick for them, you couldn't really carry any with you except for potions of blood, and I can't remember if you could make those or just got like 6 at the start of the game.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    you can eat zombies and stuff when you get a unicorn horn. giant ones are usually the one you want to eat for the strength

Jars on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Eat all the leprechaun corpses. Makes you super lucky. Trust me.
    Hope you've been eating all the tenguu corpses too.

E: If you tin a corpse, can you eat the tin for the intrinsics later? I honestly cannot remember this.

Also I think you can get intrinsic slow digestion by polymoprhing yourself into a rustmonster and eating a ring of it. Don't know if this is a great move though, because you might not get it, then you ate your ring of it.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Floating eye corpses are neat, but it means killing a floating eye and if you don't know how to do that safely you're pretty much dead.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    IVAN is so goddamn ridiculous I love it

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    yes, and it bypasses the bad stuff so you can tin spoiled/poisonous corpses and get the intrinsics from the tins.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I used to just throw random crap at floating eyes until they died if I didn't have a blindfold or anything similar.

At least I think that was the way you were meant to do it.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I used to just throw random crap at floating eyes until they died if I didn't have a blindfold or anything similar.

At least I think that was the way you were meant to do it.

Any ranged weapon will do.

Another way that I did sometimes was dig a passageway 2 tiles deep and stand in it so the eye blocks the way and no newts can get in to kill you.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Jars wrote: »
    your god can get you out of almost anything in nethack but if your prayer count has not timed out(around 1000 turns) they can get very angry.

So, you can pray once and then not pray again for 1000 moves? Is there some way to count that or do you just have to estimate?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If you sacrifice stuff at your god's altar you can tell if it's safe to pray by what happens.

I can't remember what means what though. I think a clover means it's safe.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    the only way to know for sure is if you have an altar and sacrifice something. if it says 'you have a hopeful feeling' or 'you have a feeling of inadequacy' you cannot pray, otherwise you can. sacrifice also lowers your prayer timeout.

Jars on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yesssss Angband

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Is it possible that the staircase you seek is behind a hidden door?

I mean, it seems cruel and unusual, but possible.

How do you find hidden doors?

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Pick random spot, hit s repeatedly.

There is no success/fail message, or anything to imply that you might be right about this particular dead end, you just keep on hammering s until you get bored.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I see. I will have to start again

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    How do you get out of traps? Like a beartrap?

Goose! on