Options

War [Hesher] Battle Master

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Cuz it's windy and full of despair?

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Anyone hear the new Nightrage?

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    So many topics to discuss, where do I start...

I just started as a junior at University and as far as I know there is no metal club. At orientation I was complemented on my Carcass shirt by two dudes but since then it's been quiet. Though my Spanish professor liked my Sad Wings Of Destiny shirt and asked me what Priest's touring plans were. Speaking of that class, I need to write a 15 sentence paragraph about Latin American musicians and bands for tomorrow. Any suggestions besides Sepultura? I just need to list where they are from, what kind of music they play and a give examples of a few songs and albums.

Regarding Mastodon... I don't know. I was super into them when Blood Mountain came out but since then my interest has severely waned. I saw them on the Blood Mountain tour and I really don't feel like I need to see them again. Crack the Skye was cool, but I never find myself wanting to listen to them. The same kind of goes for Between The Buried and Me. Alaska was badass, and Colors and The Great Misdirect were cool but I never really have the urge to listen to them.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    There's a new Dagon EP out. Someone out there is listening to it. Not me, though. I can't order it from the single website they've provided and I can't find anywhere else to acquire it. Oh, well. It'll be mine eventually.

Oh, yes.

edit: I've heard a little bit of the new Nightrage album. It was alright. If you've got a sweet tooth for that post-In Flames melodic death stuff, then you could do a lot worse. I wouldn't put it up there with Kalmah or whatever, but I'll probably listen to more of Insidious later on once I have some time that I'm not wasting by playing City of Heroes.

pewpewpew

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    Speaking of that class, I need to write a 15 sentence paragraph about Latin American musicians and bands for tomorrow. Any suggestions besides Sepultura? I just need to list where they are from, what kind of music they play and a give examples of a few songs and albums.

Hibria.

• Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    I was just gonna post that

person I have never met before ever

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular

I just started as a junior at University and as far as I know there is no metal club. At orientation I was complemented on my Carcass shirt by two dudes but since then it's been quiet. Though my Spanish professor liked my Sad Wings Of Destiny shirt and asked me what Priest's touring plans were. Speaking of that class, I need to write a 15 sentence paragraph about Latin American musicians and bands for tomorrow. Any suggestions besides Sepultura? I just need to list where they are from, what kind of music they play and a give examples of a few songs and albums.

Angra (all) and Sarcofago (INRI) are probably the two most important and influential Brazilian acts after Sepultura.

Others to consider (from various countries):
    Krisiun
    The Chasm
    Mortem

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    Thanks guys. I mentioned those bands and then added a few sentences about Tom Araya and Dave Lombardo.

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    autothrall wrote:
    Well, people started crying about Metallica selling out around the time the video for "One" came out

People started crying sellout when Kill Em All came out. People can be stupid.

I'm always way late to the party with bands, but I've been really digging Katatonia's back catalog recently. I was always aware of them but for whatever reason never dove in. Opeth is playing here with them next week and I really wish I had the money to go, but alas.

• Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    I just turned 33 on Monday, so there is no metal club for me ...

That's alright, I've got youse kids, and I'm friends with some of the members of local metal bands that I occasionally get to hang with.

@Futt Bucker - I'm in the same boat as you on BTBaM, and Mastodon. Both have put out several really good albums that I never seem to have the desire to revisit. Kinda weird.

However, Septic Flesh and Rotting Christ do get regular playing time and I revisit their albums over and over and over, because they are fantastic (the ones I have anyway)!!

• Options
    hanskey wrote:

However, Septic Flesh and Rotting Christ do get regular playing time and I revisit their albums over and over and over, because they are fantastic (the ones I have anyway)!!

As they should. I wrote up a rough draft for my 'top 30 Greek black metal records' post at the blog (once this project ends) and I was amazed how many Rotting Christ albums were present. Phenomenal band all told.

Speaking of which, 2009 should be completed today. Just two more weeks and two more years. Don't think I'll do another 'scene' project for a long time, it's exhausting and I want to cover more old school heavy, speed and thrash metal from all over.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    autothrall wrote:
    hanskey wrote:

As they should. I wrote up a rough draft for my 'top 30 Greek black metal records' post at the blog (once this project ends) and I was amazed how many Rotting Christ albums were present. Phenomenal band all told.

Speaking of which, 2009 should be completed today. Just two more weeks and two more years. Don't think I'll do another 'scene' project for a long time, it's exhausting and I want to cover more old school heavy, speed and thrash metal from all over.
    Both Septic Flesh and Rotting Christ have turned out to be incredible and incredibly consistent bands that I wish I'd known about long ago! What about everyone else? How do you guys like the Hellenic action?

Also, I'm pumped about this change on your review line-up, because that's exactly what I want more of! Thank you, sir!

hanskey on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I discovered Rotting Christ about a year ago and was raving about them in one of these threads. They blew me away, too. I'd always known of them, just never got around to listening to them.

• Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    My girlfriend got me into Rotting Christ a few years ago, which is weird because she doesn't even like metal. *shrug*

I'm still not sure how I feel about The Hunter. Creature Lives is an interesting song, and the chorus of All The Heavy Lifting is just so huge that I can't help but love it, but my opinion on the rest of the album shifts from "boring as hell" to "shit rules" depending on the time of day. Ignoring whatever intentions may lie behind the albums, I can definitely see the Black Album comparison. Neither of them feel like "sellout" albums to me, they both feel like the bands exploring a more structured (and mainstream-friendly, sure) sound while still applying their defining characteristics. Like Auto said, TBA still has a bit of that dark, aggressive edge of the 80s Metallica running through it, it's just applied to more typical hard rock song structures, and I feel the same way about The Hunter: It's still obviously a Mastodon album, with all the sludgy, psychedelic atmosphere of their discography crammed into a straightforward radio metal album. The result is just kind of bland, and I'm not sure if it's because of the songwriting not being up to par or the band's dynamics not lending themselves well to a straightforward environment, but even after ~10 listens with varying enjoyment, the album hasn't left much of an impression on me beyond "Yep, that sure is Mastodon."

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Got the deluxe edition, because yay for evil puppets.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Heh, I was only posting here yesterday about how there's noone in my college really likes metal and today a chick in my linear algebra class complimented my Primordial tee...

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Blakout wrote:
    My girlfriend got me into Rotting Christ a few years ago, which is weird because she doesn't even like metal. *shrug*

I'm still not sure how I feel about The Hunter. Creature Lives is an interesting song, and the chorus of All The Heavy Lifting is just so huge that I can't help but love it, but my opinion on the rest of the album shifts from "boring as hell" to "shit rules" depending on the time of day. Ignoring whatever intentions may lie behind the albums, I can definitely see the Black Album comparison. Neither of them feel like "sellout" albums to me, they both feel like the bands exploring a more structured (and mainstream-friendly, sure) sound while still applying their defining characteristics. Like Auto said, TBA still has a bit of that dark, aggressive edge of the 80s Metallica running through it, it's just applied to more typical hard rock song structures, and I feel the same way about The Hunter: It's still obviously a Mastodon album, with all the sludgy, psychedelic atmosphere of their discography crammed into a straightforward radio metal album. The result is just kind of bland, and I'm not sure if it's because of the songwriting not being up to par or the band's dynamics not lending themselves well to a straightforward environment, but even after ~10 listens with varying enjoyment, the album hasn't left much of an impression on me beyond "Yep, that sure is Mastodon."

The moments that I keep going back to that really grab me on The Hunter are the bizarre/eerie harmonies that are present in some of the vocals. "Octopus Has No Friends" and "Bedazzled Fingernails" in particular. The "lay me down, stand my ground" part of the latter is so, so cool to listen to for me.

We'll see how I feel about it after I digest it, I know Crack the Skye had me by the nuts when I first listened to it.

• Options
    First meeting was pretty cool. Low turnout but that was okay. Basically hung out in a classroom and played metal over the speakers while talking about metal. Shot the shit with a few people about interests, best shows we've seen, favourite bassists, biggest disappointments, etc etc.

Then when it was like, five of us, we listened to "The View" and laughed at it.

Next week we're doing a mixtape swap!

• Options
    I didn't know a new Arckanum came out about two weeks ago. Dang...

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Tav wrote:

It's not that great.

Seems I might actually finish Greece today, on account of illness and no willpower to do anything else.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    autothrall wrote:
    Tav wrote:

It's not that great.

Seems I might actually finish Greece today, on account of illness and no willpower to do anything else.

Hope you feel better soon!

Also, why is this now page 19 when yesterday it was page 15? Did they re-calibrate the number of posts per page or what?

Anyway, today's commute was made a happy one, thanks to Septic Flesh's A Fallen Temple. Really enjoying the album, even if it is a bit more straightforward melodic death metal with a lighter sprinkling of symphonic elements, when compared to Ophidian Wheel, Communion, and The Great Mass.

I don't know if any of you agree with me, but I think that Septic Flesh is probably the most consistently great death metal band, other than perhaps Cannibal Corpse, and Vader. What do you guys think, amirite or just a fanboy? I'm also curious to know what DM bands you heshers think have a discography that is as good or better.

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Septic Flesh is one of the most consistent bands out there, at least as a source for Gothic death/doom metal. The only album that isn't good would be Revolution DNA, which I could live without, but the rest are all great. The last three have been tremendous.

There are a lot of pretty steady death metal bands in terms of quality. Vader I agree with, though Cannibal Corpse had a few average records with Barnes, and I don't enjoy Vile or The Wretched Spawn all that much. How about Behemoth's death metal stretch? Not a personal favorite, maybe, and I think they might get blown out of proportion just a tad, but pretty much every full length they've done (in either genre) is good...

How about Sweden's Anata? Superb band. Not a ton of albums but they're all good.

Centinex, Deceased, Demigod, Vomitory, Fleshcrawl, Necrophobic, Runemagick, Severe Torture, The Chasm, can't think of too many (if any) disappointments from those.

Project Greece is one album away from completion (advance promo from Agonia for the new Acherontas).

autothrall on
  • Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    Despite giving them a million and one tries I've never been able to get into Opeth. The new album has convinced me to stop trying. I don't know if it's just because I'm not into progressive or if it's because the singers voice is the most boring thing that anyone has ever recorded in the history of sound. I even hate the cover, cheesy as hell.

• Options
    The singer's voice is what basically turned me off the new Opeth in the end. I enjoy most of their earlier records (everything up to and including Blackwater Park with the exception of MAYH which I find bland) but there's just something so banal about what they're doing lately.

At first I found Heritage interesting for the funky bass grooves and a few of the more atmospheric moments, but after a half dozen tries it just feels like an unmitigated mess of wanting to be 70s.

• Options
    I personally really dig Akerfeldt's voice, and Damnation is one of my favorite albums period. For the most part I find Opeth interesting, but I have to be in a certain mood to listen to their normal stuff. I found Heritage a pretty awesome album to put on for background music. I also really liked the album artwork, especially when I found out the meaning behind it.

Different strokes :P

• Options
    edited September 2011
    autothrall wrote:
    Septic Flesh is one of the most consistent bands out there, at least as a source for Gothic death/doom metal. The only album that isn't good would be Revolution DNA, which I could live without, but the rest are all great. The last three have been tremendous.
    Seriously: incredible!! I do agree that RevDNA is a black mark.
    autothrall wrote:
    There are a lot of pretty steady death metal bands in terms of quality. Vader I agree with, though Cannibal Corpse had a few average records with Barnes, and I don't enjoy Vile or The Wretched Spawn all that much.
    Yeah, there's definitely been some lackluster material from CC, but not in a pretty long while...
    autothrall wrote:
    How about Behemoth's death metal stretch? Not a personal favorite, maybe, and I think they might get blown out of proportion just a tad, but pretty much every full length they've done (in either genre) is good...
    This is true, but I'm not a huge Behemoth fan, either. I feel a bit meh, when I listen to them.
    autothrall wrote:
    How about Sweden's Anata? Superb band. Not a ton of albums but they're all good.
    I do love Anata, but I feel that they lack a truly Epic Win album that would allow them to compete with Vader or Septic Flesh. Going forward, if they continue their course and even improve it, then I can easily see Anata being included.
    autothrall wrote:
    Centinex, Deceased, Demigod, Vomitory, Fleshcrawl, Necrophobic, Runemagick, Severe Torture, The Chasm, can't think of too many (if any) disappointments from those.
    Well, a couple of those just don't have the longevity/productivity to be in the running (yet), but those are all great bands too ...

One might also consider Hour Of Penance, Trauma, Martriden, or a few others as well.

I just think it is really amazing that Septic Flesh has created 5 Epic Win albums, and 4 Win albums and I had never heard of them prior to The Great Mass's release. More Epic Wins, than Wins? Not many bands could claim that honor, particularly over a 17 year career (when you take out the period from 2003-2007 when they had broken up for personal shit). They have definitely worked their way up on my "favorite bands of all time" list.

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Despite giving them a million and one tries I've never been able to get into Opeth. The new album has convinced me to stop trying. I don't know if it's just because I'm not into progressive or if it's because the singers voice is the most boring thing that anyone has ever recorded in the history of sound. I even hate the cover, cheesy as hell.

Don't fret, there are three superior Prog Metal releases this year! Check them out if you are really trying to test your level of genre-enjoyment, because they destroy the latest Opeth. The latest from Anubis Gate, Arch/Matheos, and Myrath have restored my interest in ProgM, and hopefully they'll help you too!!

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I personally really dig Akerfeldt's voice, and Damnation is one of my favorite albums period. For the most part I find Opeth interesting, but I have to be in a certain mood to listen to their normal stuff. I found Heritage a pretty awesome album to put on for background music. I also really liked the album artwork, especially when I found out the meaning behind it.

By all means, different strokes. I don't mean to hate on something that might be someone elses fave or anything, I just do not register a single feeling or emotion with the singers vocals.

It's just my guess, but the cover has something to do with losing previous members or something...but face fruit just doen't go over well. It doesn't help that the singer looks like he is sniggering.

On a more positive note, I'm loving the new Wolves in the Throne Room. Perfect background audio while playing total war or an rpg.

*edit* Hey thanks for the suggestions hanskey. I'll check them out forthwith!

armageddonbound on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    My pleasure sir! Let us know what you think! I was completely shocked by the great songs -> amazing riffs combined with really good vocals, interesting rhythmic patterns, etc.

hanskey on
  • Options

By all means, different strokes. I don't mean to hate on something that might be someone elses fave or anything, I just do not register a single feeling or emotion with the singers vocals.

It's just my guess, but the cover has something to do with losing previous members or something...but face fruit just doen't go over well. It doesn't help that the singer looks like he is sniggering.

On a more positive note, I'm loving the new Wolves in the Throne Room. Perfect background audio while playing total war or an rpg.

*edit* Hey thanks for the suggestions hanskey. I'll check them out forthwith!

No offense taken, I was just offering a different viewpoint. I can understand why people don't like the newer stuff.

Here's an excerpt from a review talking about the cover:
    The story behind Travis Smith's colorful cover painting is instructive. We're told Åkerfeldt gave the artist a number of references including Pieter Bruegel's "The Triumph of Death", Hieronymus Bosch (in general), and the Beatles' Yellow Submarine. The final picture depicts a tree sprouting the heads of each Opeth member with the noggin of ex-keyboardist and backing vocalist Per Wiberg, who left the band after recording his parts for the new record, toppling into "a pile of ex-members' skulls." Beneath those skulls? The roots of the tree that point to the band's devilish roots in death metal. We're also told the nine stars in the sky represent Opeth's nine past albums, the sun representing Heritage. Then comes the line of people "want[ing] a piece" of the band, etc.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    hanskey wrote:
    I do love Anata, but I feel that they lack a truly Epic Win album that would allow them to compete with Vader or Septic Flesh. Going forward, if they continue their course and even improve it, then I can easily see Anata being included.

The Conductor's Departure is pretty amazing.
    hanksey wrote:
    autothrall wrote:
    Well, a couple of those just don't have the longevity/productivity to be in the running (yet), but those are all great bands too ...

Uh, what? Most of those been around for close to 20 years or more...some since the 80s, before death metal was really even a thing. Runemagick and Severe Torture at least like 14 years.
    One might also consider Hour Of Penance, Trauma, Martriden, or a few others as well.

Those are all newer...except Trauma (20 year vets).

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    autothrall wrote:
    hanskey wrote:
    The Conductor's Departure is pretty amazing.
    It is, but I overplayed it and got burnt out, so I need to revisit. I actually like Dreams Of Death And Dismay the most of all their albums right now, but as I say, I need to revisit The Conductor's Departure.
    autothrall wrote:
    hanksey wrote:
    autothrall wrote:
    Uh, what? Most of those been around for close to 20 years or more...some since the 80s, before death metal was really even a thing. Runemagick and Severe Torture at least like 14 years.
    Whoops. Turns out ... I didn't know what the fuck I was talking about: thanks for pointing that out! Learning is what I was hoping for by asking the question in the first place and now I'll happily check it all out, since you are putting these bands in the same class as Vader and Septic Flesh!
    autothrall wrote:
    Those are all newer...except Trauma (20 year vets).
    I threw in productivity as well ... but still you are right, since it turns out only Demigod has been less productive than Hour Of Penance (mea culpa).

hanskey on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    It probably helps that Opeth helped get me into metal, but Akerfeldt is one of my favorite vocalists. I also love most of Heritage, even if it's a little too disjointed to really stand up to the rest of their discography. Mostly I'm just a sucked for Mike's super reverb-y lonesome prog solos, which Heritage delivers in spades.

• Options
    Diggin Anubis Gate so far, i'll keep going

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Glad to hear it! I find that album to be really catchy, with a great balance of prod/metal elements. It's not perfect, but goddamn, it is excellent. I really like the vocal harmonies as well, and I find myself (poorly) singing along on several songs.

hanskey on
  • Options
    Considering that they lost their better known singer before putting that out, it's a wonder that it came off so well.

• Options
    No shit? That is quite surprising!

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orKKbLr96oE

I'm going to leave this here.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    New Azarath looks promising! Thanks for letting us know, auto!

hanskey on