As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War [Hesher] Battle Master

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    GKS' Metal Day of Signings and The Kick-Drums of DOOM
    IMG_3706.jpg

So I met Kerry King, told that story yesterday, yada yada. Pretty cool.

Went to the show. Exodus was... good? I dunno. I don't listen to them, really (which is odd considering my penchant for thrash). Whatevs. Rob Zombie put on a fantastic show that was entertaining from start to finish. He's a really great performer and was engaging to watch and listen to. I was impressed.

Slayer performed as I expected, with a minimalist stage show and the thing you come to expect. Stand in one spot and headbang. Which is fine. The setlist was decent, a good mix of older stuff with a few new tunes ("World Painted Blood", "Hate Worldwide", "Snuff"), but I think compared to last time it was pretty similar. Coming after Zombie though, it was kind of a letdown! They just aren't that entertaining to watch, really. That said, my throat was hoarse from screaming my lungs out to all the songs.

However, the entire night was dampened by what was a total fuck-up on the sound crew's parts. The kicks on every band were cranked to such a ridiculous level that it made some songs almost unlistenable. And when a band like Slayer, with Dave Lombardo tearing it up on the double bass, has it cranked up to 11, then there are issues. I'm all for loud concerts, but get the fucking levels in check and make sure nothing's overpowering everything else. It got kinda tolerable towards the end but there were a few occasions I was annoyed. It might've been worse standing right next to the speakers though...

Anyways. Pretty killer day all around.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    That Tombs album is fucking killer. I'm seeing them next weekend with The Secret. Cannot wait. I've got one of these up on the wall next to my Neurosis print.
    SecretTombs_Poster.jpg

Here's one of the locals bands who played with Neurosis and are opening for Tombs. Great stuff altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYi8pOeJmhw

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    Eh, that song started off alright, typical Neurosis derived stuff, but the dissonant note patterns are pretty generic and predictable, and the hardcore vocals leave a lot to be desired. That said, they would seem to fit right into that lineup...

Do you like Mouth of the Architect, Tav?

• Options
    Never heard of them. Good place to start? Last.FM likens them to Cult Of Luna, YONL and ASOL... I'll probably enjoy them if that's accurate.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z118lF7vQUw

They're like a more spacious Neurosis with a lot of hypnotic vocals. I don't listen to many bands in this style with much frequency, but these guys are an exception.

Here's a heavier one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7vRCO8Onc&feature=related

I love the desperate swerve of the bass below the chords in that.

autothrall on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    auto, did you hear the M83 single "Midnight City" that was released earlier this year?

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    Auto, I'll check 'em out when I have proper headphones. These USB speakers are awful.

And new M83 is out in October. If it continues along the same path as Saturdays = Youth, I'll probably love it.

• Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    Holy shit. I forgot Fenriz was in Eibon with Phil Anselmo. Hahaha. What a travesty that was.

eibon.jpg

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    Killjoy, Satyr, Fenriz and Phil in the same pic feels like peering into some alternate dimension I don't want to know exists.

• Options
    Mgcw wrote:
    Killjoy, Satyr, Fenriz and Phil

Bwhaha, this sounds like the worst sitcom ever.

• Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    Fallout wrote:
    hanskey wrote:
    Fallout wrote:
    I've been slacking for years, but I'm on a metal rampage now and slurping up all the best shit from 2010. Awe yeeee

*welcome back*

What releases are you enjoying the most from 2010, Fallout?

I'm quite partial to:
    Sadist - Season in Silence
    Tsorer - Return to Sodom
    Fear Factory - Mechanize
    Hooded Menace - Never Cross the Dead
    Forbidden - Omega Wave
    Hail of Bullets - On Divine Winds
    Severe Torture - Slaughtered

autothrall wrote:
    hanskey wrote:
    What do you think of Stoner Witch, and Thorr-Axe, if you've heard them? I've read comparisons between Doomsword and Thorr-Axe, but I'm wondering if that's just hype, cause Doomsword fucking owns! \m/

Both seemed pretty bland to me. Thorr-Axe gets a nice wall of volume going, but I hear no riffs I want to elope with.

Yeah, I checked them both out after I posted that, and the doomsters are vastly overrating Thorr-Axe, when they say Thorr-Axe is better than Doomsword - it's not even close. Stoner Witch is less interesting music, but a more interesting band, either way it's a pair of *meh* at this point for me.
    autothrall wrote:
    L|ama wrote:
    Well I'm going to study Lagrangian mechanics. Jealous much?

Well...I am, if that's any consolation.

Sorry to increase the dork quotient of the thread, but I'm with auto, L|ama ... but then, I like physics :oops:

I've just begun to dig through the list (I'm rrrrreally fucken busy) but I'm listening to Season in Silence at the moment. I've just started and it's keeping me on the edge of my seat in fear that it'll break down into faggoty nucore moshslop, but then it just keeps on sounding badfuckinass. I dig the cheesy "Halloween" aspect a la Gloomy Grim.

I know exactly what you mean about Seasons Of Silence. That album could have been horrible doing anything differently than what they did, and I really love it for how emotional effective it is: super-creepy!

• Options
    Adrenaline wrote:
    auto, did you hear the M83 single "Midnight City" that was released earlier this year?

Not yet, but I'm horny already.

Oh yeah, on Eibon, they managed to release like one and a half fucking songs. That's all we've heard of that!

• Options
    I really fucking love Endstille, I've only heard Verführer and the latest. Interested in what awaits me by digging through their older albums.

• Options
    Their older albums are alright, but I think they peaked with Verführer, which was the most sublime and hypnotic.

Oh yeah, both the 2001-10 death and black metal lists for RYM are actually organized now, it's just a matter of writing the many blurbs out. I expect them finalized for September (death) and December (black).

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Not sure how I feel about the new Fleshgod Apocalypse album. Seems they are intent on becoming the death metal Dimmu Borgir. The symphonic elements aren't bad, but they feel ineffective, and the rhythm riffs are truly boring, with only a few that stand out. The cover sucks.

That said, the leads are pretty good, the drumming is just off the charts, and I don't actually mind the schizoid cleaner vocals that a lot of people are complaining about. Going to listen a few more times before I write up a review for next Tuesday.

Also: new Trivium. *ducks*

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I heard one of the new Trivium songs and the chorus just sounds like he's shouting "THIS IS SPARTA" over and over.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU6-NrUZG_o

00:53-ish in

Tav on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    That Fleshgod album sounds like one of the most unappealing things one could listen to.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, I heard a track off the new Fleshgod album a week or two ago and knew I was done with them. Just sounded so fucking boring, reminded me of old CoB, "Let's jack that classical riff everyone and their mother is familiar with and slightly twist it, we're brilliant!".

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Yea, I don't get it really. Overproduced, wall-of-sound bullshit slop with symphonic blasts. Top of the line art there.

Anyways, I've been listening to this album quite a bit.

50073735-e1302219232204.jpg

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Yea, I don't get it really. Overproduced, wall-of-sound bullshit slop with symphonic blasts. Top of the line art there.

That's a fucking album cover right there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    danceofdeath.jpg

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Thanks for reminding me, Adrenaline

• Options

That's a fucking album cover right there.

Inverted hierarchy ... I'm in love!

• Options
    Yea, that album and the new Crumbling Ghost s/t have been in heavy rotation here.

• Options
    Yea, that album and the new Crumbling Ghost s/t have been in heavy rotation here.

It's really, really good. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CttS are playing Washington with PG99 and Thou. First show in three and a half years. Fuck I wish I was going to that.

I'll make do with Gorgoroth/Vader here in November, I guess...

• Options
    Tracklisting for "The Hunter" is on the Mastodon site
    Black Tongue
    Curl Of The Burl
    Blasteroid
    Stargasm
    Octopus Has No Friends
    All The Heavy Lifting
    The Hunter
    Dry Bone Valley
    Thickening
    Creature Lives
    Spectrelight
    Bedazzled Fingernails
    The Sparrow
    THE RUINER (with limited edition)
    DEATHBOUND (with limited edition)

I hope Dry Bone Valley is about Super Mario Bros.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I need more funeral doom.

I've got Thergothon, Loss, Esoteric, Skepticism, and Ahab.

What else is out there?

• Options
    edited August 2011

What else is out there?

You absolutely want the album In the Depths of R'yleh from the Arizona band Catacombs.

In addition, the 2004 album Celaenus Fragments from Argentinians Fungoid Stream.

Check out Denmark's Nortt as well, though this is more of a black/funeral doom hybrid.

And for some US death/funeral doom with more structure, of course you want Evoken.

For something more bizarre but related to funeral doom/drone, you might also enjoy stuff like Khanate or Sunn O)))), but I feel this often walks the line between creepy and amusing and just minimalistic nonsense passed for music.

And for something fucking epic, but perhaps not EXACTLY funeral doom, you want The Wounded Kings from England, especially The Shadows Over Atlantis.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Picked up Deftones' s/t a while ago. I don't care for it nearly as much as Around the Fur and White Pony, not as memorable or interesting in terms of songwriting. But I guess I've really only listened to it in my car on short drives... but still, what I've heard (most of it) isn't as strong. "Minerva" is a cool track though. Very uplifting, sort of.

It basically just made me start listening to White Pony again, and that album is great. So great in fact, I changed my picture for it.

• Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    The Wounded Kings new album out soon is pretty solid followup.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    New Goreaphobia album is decent if you want old school death metal with a bit of melody and a Celtic Frost, Usurper influence. I just give them credit for doing it retro without sounding like another Incantation or Autopsy clone.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    I was just wondering where all the good 2011 death metal was. I've had this 2006 classic in my car for the past few days and I found myself saying "Dang why isn't anything this good coming out?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVVaN_YV3Io

I think the only death metal I've heard this year was Cannabis Corpse and Amon Amarth.

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Well...

Sonne Adam debut is great, creepy and atmospheric death metal.
    Septic Flesh is symphonic death metal.
    Deceased is part death metal.
    Mitochondrion is amazing atmospheric death metal.
    New Demonical is great Swedish style death metal.

All top 20 end of the year choices for me (thus far, anyway). So there has definitely been some. The Cannabis Corpse album is also good, as is Amon Amarth.

What kind exactly were you searching for?

autothrall on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The new Deceased is excellent.

Also, album art of the decade imo.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    autothrall wrote:

What else is out there?

You absolutely want the album In the Depths of R'yleh from the Arizona band Catacombs.

In addition, the 2004 album Celaenus Fragments from Argentinians Fungoid Stream.

Check out Denmark's Nortt as well, though this is more of a black/funeral doom hybrid.

And for some US death/funeral doom with more structure, of course you want Evoken.

For something more bizarre but related to funeral doom/drone, you might also enjoy stuff like Khanate or Sunn O)))), but I feel this often walks the line between creepy and amusing and just minimalistic nonsense passed for music.

And for something fucking epic, but perhaps not EXACTLY funeral doom, you want The Wounded Kings from England, especially The Shadows Over Atlantis.

Also, if you want something funeral doomy to slash your wrists to, there's always Senthil.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    @Kakodaimonos -> Also, try Vo Skorbyah's self-titled album from 2007 for fucking amazing funeral doom/folk metal!

We're talking funeral doom meets with a little beautiful folk singing (in addition to the requisite death metal vocals) and fucking panflutes to crush your soul!!!

Incredibly emotional album that will freeze your heart and leave you begging for more!!
    The new Deceased is excellent.

Also, album art of the decade imo.

When you're right, you're right, @Futt Bucker!!

hanskey on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Thanks guys, I'll have to check those out. But I hate folk metal. So I'll probably pass on Vo Skorbyah

And I have a good chunk of the Ant-Zen catalog, so the weirder noise stuff may be interesting. And it annoys the shit out of my neighbors when I crank up the Merzbow. So it's a win, win.