As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War [Hesher] Battle Master

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    I am always lurking about. Denial Fiend eh?

• Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    but is it any good????

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, if you like crude Colombian speed/thrash metal with rugged vocals, there are worse.

But the cover...

Speaking of covers, I'm sure approximately ZERO people in this thread will care, and with good reason. But here's one for the new Iced Earth:

iedystopia.jpg

autothrall on
  • Options
    autothrall wrote:
    Well, if you like crude Colombian speed/thrash metal with rugged vocals, there are worse.

But the cover...

I do like that! and that is a pretty boss cover

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Ursus is incredibly primitive, mind you, nothing more than a couple guys having a few beers and writing the simplest shit possible. The vocals are laughable. But I love when they break into the leads and shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM7L_aJRees&feature=related

Be warned that there's like a spastic psychocore band with the same name (Ursus) who wear trendy print pullovers and look like an energy drink advertisement.

Also, if anyone is further interested in crazy Colombian thrash, there is SOBIBOR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6jjk97li-Q&feature=related

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    This is fun

a whole country that never got metal albums beyond 1985 man

yakul on
  • Options
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    cover of the new absu!

abzu.jpg

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote:
    Ah, so awesome that they play "Beyond the Wheel"!

Ah fuck Auto it was SO GOOD, I think there was maybe one note he couldn't hit but the rest of it, he just wailed.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    All I have to say is thank god that Sweden is keeping glam/sleaze metal alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wNwPMc_nXE

• Options
    The Absu covers are always pretty sweet, imo. I think I like them even more than the music most of the time...

• Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    Tav wrote:
    cover of the new absu!

abzu.jpg

Fuckin' awesome. Absu is awesome. Awesome.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote:

But the cover...

Speaking of covers, I'm sure approximately ZERO people in this thread will care, and with good reason. But here's one for the new Iced Earth:

iedystopia.jpg

So what's the deal with this band? I've heard Night of the Stormrider is good, is it worth getting? Everything I've heard from these guys (Matt Barlow and Ripper eras) bores me.

My metal related pickups these last few weeks have been good. Septicflesh The Great Mass, the newest Wolf (the lyrics in Jekyll and Hyde :D ) and Human Remains by Hell, love each of them. Got Running Wild's Death or Glory and two Septicflesh albums (Sumerian Daemons and Communion) coming to me. Things are good!

• Options
    Yo Rotam, Hell are playing Dublin in September as part of the DDD line-up. It's gonna be boss.

• Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    Rotam wrote:
    autothrall wrote:

But the cover...

iedystopia.jpg

So what's the deal with this band? I've heard Night of the Stormrider is good, is it worth getting? Everything I've heard from these guys (Matt Barlow and Ripper eras) bores me.

My metal related pickups these last few weeks have been good. Septicflesh The Great Mass, the newest Wolf (the lyrics in Jekyll and Hyde :D ) and Human Remains by Hell, love each of them. Got Running Wild's Death or Glory and two Septicflesh albums (Sumerian Daemons and Communion) coming to me. Things are good!
    Iced Earth is just vastly overrated mediocre and boring metal. I think that's pretty much it, but I think they put out like exactly one good album early in their career.

• Options
    Rotam wrote:
    autothrall wrote:

But the cover...

iedystopia.jpg

Iced Earth is just vastly overrated, mediocre, and boring metal. I think that's pretty much it, but I think they put out like exactly one good album early in their career.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Iced Earth's best album is probably The Dark Saga, the one about the cartoon character Spawn, or that album they put out of re-recorded material from the first three albums. In general, though, they are in fact pretty mediocre. Power metal with a thrash base in the riffs. I prefer the first singer to Ripper Owens stint with the band.

Good haul, Rotam. I'll have reviews up for the rest of the Septic Flesh stuff (coincidentally the two you just ordered) in the coming weeks.

I'll try and cover the new Powerwolf this weekend, it's not bad but probably their worst so far. A shame, the sample was exciting.

autothrall on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    Two new thrash bands from Europe that I came across are Surrealist (SWI) and Essence (DEN). Good start so far. Definitely have potential. Surrealist remind me of Coroner mixed with Human-era Death.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    loving the necronomicon symbol in the absu cover!

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I think I remember reviewing that Essence CD. Not bad at all.

I'll check out the other one when I get a chance.

Here's another recent thrash record which is decent. Kinda like Exodus or Vio-Lence riffs with a hoarser vocalist:

311178.jpg

autothrall on
  • Options
    Two new thrash bands from Europe that I came across are Surrealist (SWI) and Essence (DEN). Good start so far. Definitely have potential. Surrealist remind me of Coroner mixed with Human-era Death.
    That's all I needed to hear...

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    oh what the fuck

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=161318
    Regarding why DISTURBED has chosen to go on an indefinite hiatus after five studio albums — four of which have debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 — and worldwide sales of more than 13 million, Draiman tells Billboard.com, "Many of those reasons are personal reasons, and many of those reasons have to do with the state of the music industry in general and the demise of hard rock and metal right now. The industry is still in a state of reformation; it is on the verge of collapse, in my opinion. It's a frightening time, and I think after 10 to 12 years straight of touring it's just a good time for DISTURBED to go away for awhile and wait for the Phoenix to rise from the ashes."

What a fucking idiot. Combine this with Tommy Lee's recent comments about how there is "no reason at all to record a full album" and how it makes no sense any way you slice it, kinda makes you sick.

Sorry both Disturbed and Motley Crue are laughable acts pushed by radio to make a quick buck on the consuming masses that don't know fucking good music even if it piledrived them in the face. Fuck!

Why couldn't I have been alive 30 years ago? AGH.

In other news, Slayer tomorrow night...

• Options
    Good riddance to both of them.

Metal is not suffering a demise. Hard rock, outside of the classics constantly recycled on the radio from the 80s and earlier, and glam package festivals for all those 80s chicks to break out the hairspray, leopard pants and faded Bon Jovi t-shirts, has been dead for some time...unless you factor in that it has simply mutated into other things.

• Options
    Yeah, exactly. Metal is not suffering. I don't think a lot of it sells as well as it used to (but really, what does?) but it still has huge followings and people still buy/listen to full albums/go to shows/support their artists. When you record an album that has one good song that gets replayed on radio 10 times per day and the rest of it is filler, then yeah. It doesn't make any sense to record an album. But that's on you and your shitty musicianship and lack of any kind of drive or motivation to write something halfway decent. But I guess when, like you said Auto, the same aging 80s chicks want to go out and feel young again at your greatest hit rehash concerts, and you're okay with that... good for you. But don't say making full albums doesn't make sense. And don't say the industry is dead.

• Options
    If anything, metal is even more expansive now...with hundreds of sub-genres of sub-genres and so forth, all around the world, just about every country, people either experimenting with their home studio equipment or just copying their favorite bands the best they know how.

• Options
    Pretty sure he's talking about the presence of metal on the radio. Which is probably true because whenever I skip past the hard rock station they are still basically only playing stuff from the 90s, with a few songs here and there in the last decade.

And Tommy Lee is right, if you want to make money, you may as well just record one hit and release it on iTunes. I can't imagine most people go to buy the full album for pop hits on iTunes.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    autothrall wrote:
    Yes, they acquired a new singer for this sophomore album that you may have some familiarity with :)

http://autothrall.blogspot.com/2011/07/denial-fiend-horror-holocaust-2011.html

Oh shit, can't wait to hear that! I was bummed when Blaine left The Accused. Good to hear he's gargling the mic again.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    autothrall wrote:
    Good riddance to both of them.

Metal is not suffering a demise. Hard rock, outside of the classics constantly recycled on the radio from the 80s and earlier, and glam package festivals for all those 80s chicks to break out the hairspray, leopard pants and faded Bon Jovi t-shirts, has been dead for some time...unless you factor in that it has simply mutated into other things.

Eh, there's plenty of new hard rock out there. And a number of sleaze/glam metal revival bands. It's just not getting major air play time and is much more fragmented. But that's the case with most music nowadays. There's tons more music available then there was 20 years ago, it's just much harder to get a lot of people listening to the same thing.

You can pretty much find just about any music style you want now on the internet. It may be you and the 5 other fans of the one band doing it, but it's probably out there.

• Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    Tav wrote:
    Yo Rotam, Hell are playing Dublin in September as part of the DDD line-up. It's gonna be boss.

Interesting, I had no idea (I haven't been on Metal Ireland in ages). That's fairly near Custom House isn't it?

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Rotam wrote:
    Tav wrote:

Interesting, I had no idea (I haven't been on Metal Ireland in ages). That's fairly near Custom House isn't it?

About a 5 minute walk, yeah. It's along the Quays on the way to The O2.

Tav on
  • Options
    So I went to a meet and greet signing thing at a guitar shop with Kerry King before the Slayer show. I got a cd signed and a pic taken.

My little brother gets a picture then proceeds to say "I really enjoy your work with Sum 41" (Kerry played on a track for the Spider-man soundtrack) and walks off. What a smart-ass.

• Options
    Your little brother should have congratulated him for knocking off the gorilla in 'No Sleep Til Brooklyn' instead. But Sum 41 will have to suffice.

• Options
    Rob Zombie just put on a he'll of a show. Waiting for Slayer now

• Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    hanskey wrote:
    Fallout wrote:
    I've been slacking for years, but I'm on a metal rampage now and slurping up all the best shit from 2010. Awe yeeee

*welcome back*

What releases are you enjoying the most from 2010, Fallout?

I'm quite partial to:
    Sadist - Season in Silence
    Tsorer - Return to Sodom
    Fear Factory - Mechanize
    Hooded Menace - Never Cross the Dead
    Forbidden - Omega Wave
    Hail of Bullets - On Divine Winds
    Severe Torture - Slaughtered

autothrall wrote:
    hanskey wrote:
    What do you think of Stoner Witch, and Thorr-Axe, if you've heard them? I've read comparisons between Doomsword and Thorr-Axe, but I'm wondering if that's just hype, cause Doomsword fucking owns! \m/

Both seemed pretty bland to me. Thorr-Axe gets a nice wall of volume going, but I hear no riffs I want to elope with.

Yeah, I checked them both out after I posted that, and the doomsters are vastly overrating Thorr-Axe, when they say Thorr-Axe is better than Doomsword - it's not even close. Stoner Witch is less interesting music, but a more interesting band, either way it's a pair of *meh* at this point for me.
    autothrall wrote:
    L|ama wrote:
    Well I'm going to study Lagrangian mechanics. Jealous much?

Well...I am, if that's any consolation.

Sorry to increase the dork quotient of the thread, but I'm with auto, L|ama ... but then, I like physics :oops:

I've just begun to dig through the list (I'm rrrrreally fucken busy) but I'm listening to Season in Silence at the moment. I've just started and it's keeping me on the edge of my seat in fear that it'll break down into faggoty nucore moshslop, but then it just keeps on sounding badfuckinass. I dig the cheesy "Halloween" aspect a la Gloomy Grim.

xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well it's basically about a kid stuck at a cottage in the winter, and the frightening memories he had with an overactive imagination (living, evil snow men, etc). Quite amazing how the jazzy nature of the music captures that. I'm actually excited for winter to roll around again (well, I always am), so that I can experience that album in the appropriate environment.

autothrall on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Any sludge fans into the new Tombs album? Apparently the producer has also worked on albums for Explosions in the Sky and Baroness.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGin_OV4ODM

chasehatesbears on