As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Immigrants. Cramming their lowriders full of free healthcare and...steam (CHRISTMAS SALE)

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Shoe quit his list at like

B

Raneados on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Is there anyone that knows stuff about Terraria on here that can tell me what those two block types are where my guy is hanging, and what kind of pick do I need to mine them?

rQxAs.png

And what is up with those weird glowing things I find in water pools while in caves?

bhrK9.png

Looks like the head of a monster but I've been on one that had no water around it and couldn't do anything with it.

Okay the first thing is Ebonstone, you will need a nightmare pickaxe or better (when I last played) to be able to destroy it. Or you can use TNT.

It shows up in corrupted areas (you probably dug under one). That are will also spawn Shadow Orbs in random spots which when destroyed will drop cool items and/or spawn bosses or meteors.

Also, in corrupted areas Demon Alters will spawn, which is the second thing you found. You can use different mats to create boss spawning items at the demon alters.

e: oh and the purple ore is I think demonite which can be used to make Nightmare level stuff.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is there anyone that knows stuff about Terraria on here that can tell me what those two block types are where my guy is hanging, and what kind of pick do I need to mine them?

rQxAs.png

And what is up with those weird glowing things I find in water pools while in caves?

bhrK9.png

Looks like the head of a monster but I've been on one that had no water around it and couldn't do anything with it.

The thing in the water is a demon alter, you can use 10 lenses to make the eye of cthulu boss item

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    i could use a proxy and shit probably but I think that would be kinda fraudulent and not really worth the effort

it's mostly just a few publishers that are dicks about it (fuck activision to death forever)

While I really do sympathize with your plight, I feel compelled to point out that it wouldn't be "kinda" fraudulent.

It would be exactly fraudulent, and possibly criminal.

Don't people from outside the country get the NA version of a game if it's gifted to them?

That's not the same thing. I was just thinking about how it is silly that they aren't allowed to use a proxy to get a game for cheap or uncensored, but some guy across the world can just give it to them without repercussions.

I'm assuming that that's not illegal. If it is illegal I should stop talking about it.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hello Steam thread.

I am moving house and won't have internet at the new place for about a week.

I understand there is a way for me to be able to play my recently enlargened Steam Games without it?

I assume it has something to do with that "Offline Mode" option.

What I need to know is will that mode persist when I turn it off and move it? How does signing in work?

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Also you can get Demonite from killing bosses. You will also get shadow scales from bosses which is required to create nightmare stuff

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »

Okay the first thing is Ebonstone, you will need a nightmare pickaxe or better (when I last played) to be able to destroy it. Or you can use TNT.

It shows up in corrupted areas (you probably dug under one). That are will also spawn Shadow Orbs in random spots which when destroyed will drop cool items and/or spawn bosses or meteors.

Also, in corrupted areas Demon Alters will spawn, which is the second thing you found. You can use different mats to create boss spawning items at the demon alters.

e: oh and the purple ore is I think demonite which can be used to make Nightmare level stuff.

HellaJeff wrote: »

The thing in the water is a demon alter, you can use 10 lenses to make the eye of cthulu boss item

Thanks guys

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SwissLion wrote: »
    Hello Steam thread.

I understand there is a way for me to be able to play my recently enlargened Steam Games without it?

What I need to know is will that mode persist when I turn it off and move it? How does signing in work?

Offline mode persists until you go online again, and I at least don't have to sign on each time I start it up.

I'm probably doing Steam wrong but I roll in offline mode 95% of the time because I've had some unreliable internet and randomly not being able to play all these games I have bought because of that sounds like it would be really

quite

irritating

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    SwissLion wrote: »
    Hello Steam thread.

What do you mean by "turn it off and move it?"

If you mean turn off your PC and move it to another location as long as you switch to Offline Mode it will always start Steam in Offline Mode until you tell it to do otherwise. Other than being online Steam has no way of knowing your PC moved to another location. It will just boot in offline mode.

Some games (like a bunch of Ubisoft games including assassin's creed and splinter cell: conviction) have separate DRM that (I believe) requires you to be connected to the internet to play. Which sucks.

Other than that I did exactly what I described in the first paragraph this weekend and had no trouble at all playing games.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Offline mode is really weird for some people. I've never had a problem getting into it but there are some who just can't use it, last I heard.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Alright sweet.

I was just making sure that Offline Mode wasn't just a one-use thing.

Some of the language describing that menu item was a bit weird.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    For me Steam takes quite some time to start up in Offline mode, but yeah it should work fine.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    i could use a proxy and shit probably but I think that would be kinda fraudulent and not really worth the effort

it's mostly just a few publishers that are dicks about it (fuck activision to death forever)

While I really do sympathize with your plight, I feel compelled to point out that it wouldn't be "kinda" fraudulent.

It would be exactly fraudulent, and possibly criminal.

Don't people from outside the country get the NA version of a game if it's gifted to them?

That's not the same thing. I was just thinking about how it is silly that they aren't allowed to use a proxy to get a game for cheap or uncensored, but some guy across the world can just give it to them without repercussions.

I'm assuming that that's not illegal. If it is illegal I should stop talking about it.

It is silly that publishers take advantage of regional legal differences to extract more money from some of their customers than others, but that is their prerogative.

The only reason I mentioned criminal law is that kind of action could be interpreted as spoofing an ID in order to gain access to a computer system one is not authorized to access, which carries a fairly severe criminal sanction in the US. I have no idea about other jurisdictions.

It is not the type of illegal activity which is specifically prohibited by the forum's rules, (the anti-piracy ones, I mean) but it's still probably not kosher to give advice as to how to circumvent those laws.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Offline mode can be really hit or miss with steam, but it sounds like all you'll get. It works best if you start it online, then set it to offline mode before you log off one final time.

I'm not even sure if you can unexpectedly start it in offline anymore.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    WAHWAH Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Who wants to play some Magicka? Got room for two more. Going to be doing some challenge maps then the campaign.

WAH on
    STEAM | GW2: hamdoughnuts.7359
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I tried starting up steam in offline mode once. It launched fine, but any game I tried to play it said was unavailable in offline mode. Even single-player only games.

Also: was serious sam one of the daily deals? I can't remember.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm a pretty frequent user of offline mode on my Netbook and Laptop.

It's much easier to use these days then it used to be. My experience has been more or less hassle free, so long as I remember to activate it.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Games that I got this sale:

Alien Breed 2: Assault
    Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
    Beat Hazard
    BIT.TRIP RUNNER
    Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
    Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition (Thank you ultimakay!)
    Hitman: Blood Money
    Just Cause 2
    Lead and Gold - Gangs of the Wild West
    Magicka
    On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One
    On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode Two

Several of those were gifts and I also gifted a bunch of games to my brother who just got steam!

I think that is a list of some quality fuckin' games!

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I got:

AssBro
    Just Cause 2
    Amnesia Dark Descent
    Solar 2, although that was more because of the PAX 10 thread.

ITT people who didn't pick up an Assassin's Creed game this sale will be outnumbered by those who did.

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    My game list:

Last Remnant
    Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (gift! you're amazing!)
    Bully
    King's Bounty: Armored Princess (ultima is also amazing)
    Terraria (ultima continuing to be amazing)
    X3 Terran Conflict
    Hitman: Blood Money

2 games over my budget, although 1 was under 5 bucks and I don't really count. Pretty good for a steam sale.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My haul was a good one, better than the Christmas sale, I do believe.

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY edition
    Just Cause 2
    Magicka
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
    Splinter Cell: Conviction
    Monday Night Combat
    AI Wars
    Atom Zombie Smasher
    BIT.TRIP RUNNER
    Terraria
    Trine
    RUSH
    On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One
    On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness: Episode Two

And I am adding to the "Dudes who didn't get an Assassin's Creed game" list.

Huntera on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I wish Amnesia had gone back on sale today. I missed it while being out of town

Not that I need another game to play on top of that huge list.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Games I got:

Amnesia
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 Complete
    Darksiders
    Just Cause 2
    Magicka (Ultima is the best)
    Torchlight (Ultima is the best once again)

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Cmon, one of you butts must have magicka and want to play

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    WAHWAH Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Someone play Magicka with us. Got room for one.

WAH on
    STEAM | GW2: hamdoughnuts.7359
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Oh I bought Trine as well.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh no, I have the smallest list

So puny

Nobody look at me while I play steam games, I get nervous

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have Magicka and want to play

but I am busy not doing things I should be doing (movers are coming tomorrow)

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I got, let's see here

All the Assassin's Creed games
    Borderlands + all the DLC
    Company of Heroes + Opposing Fronts
    Darksiders
    Oblivion
    Homefront
    Metro 2033
    Red Faction: Guerrilla
    Terraria
    Titan Quest

erm

I am sure there are a few others but I can't pick them out of my 105 game library list

it's all very embarrassing

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    All my computer parts arrive tomorrow

I finally get to play the witcher

I'm so excited!

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    oh we're talking about what games we bought this sale?

I'm kinda afraid to check

but let's see...

Dwarfs!?
    Unreal Deal
    The Heroes Pack
    Devil May Cry 4
    Hamiltons Great Adventure
    SpaceChem
    Lead and Gold
    Guild Wars: Trilogy
    X-SuperBox
    Prince of Persia Complete Pack
    Just Cause 2
    Sanctum
    ASSBRO

And speaking of Magicka, I finally beat it with a couple friends...and..this was our final screen
    Zx_412d8f43-1024x576.jpg

survival is not an option

(e: I don't think that's even an unusual screen...I thought it was funny though)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I'm so excited!

1 or 2? I just started on 2 this week and it is a very... odd experience. I go from getting super caught up the story and characters which are all amazing, to turning the game off in disgust as a nekker backstabs me for the 6th time.

My best advice would be to hit f5 like every 30 seconds. The combat in this game is fairly unforgiving and since you can only use potions outside of combat once you start it's to the death. Also, Quen is you friend

dougyfresh on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, whoever has played Dwarfs!?, is it fun?

Maybe it's just because of the name, but from the gameplay video on steam it looked kind of like a skinned dwarf fortress lite.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    I just stole a crazy fighter jet that shoots four missiles at once

I sniped three military officers in the stupid face, further weakening the resolve of the army

I drove a hovercraft down a mountain

I flew a single-prop plane in a loop-de-loop and went under four bridges before jumping onto the wing and ghost-riding it for a couple miles, leaping off just in time to see it smash into a statue of a dictator, then used the rockets on my parachute to climb hundreds of meters into the air and land on top of a missile silo that I base-jumped from

I killed a pack of motherfucking ninjas and then dangled from a helicopter to land on top of a humvee filled with more ninjas that was speeding across a frozen lake, killed the ninjas inside and comandeered the humvee, then climbed out with the secret agent I rescued, onto the roof of the humvee, then jumped into a helicopter flying next to me to safety a split second before the hummer exploded on the frozen lake, all while dodging rockets fired at me from a nuclear sub that was previously submerged beneath the ice, then flew to safety and ate barbequed pig roasted on a spit and made sexual innuendos with the hot leather-wearing secret agent I just rescued

Just Cause 2 Game of the Year Every Single Fucking Year Ever

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    dougyfresh wrote: »

I'm so excited!

1 or 2? I just started on 2 this week and it is a very... odd experience. I go from getting super caught up the story and characters which are all amazing, to turning the game off in disgust as a nekker backstabs me for the 6th time.

My best advice would be to hit f5 like every 30 seconds. The combat in this game is fairly unforgiving and since you can only use potions outside of combat once you start it's to the death. Also, Quen is you friend

Number one!

I'm gonna grab 2 after.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    every single thing I just said just happened in the span of maybe two hours

holy god, for like ten bucks including DLC (MONSTER TRUCK FOR A QUARTER) this was the best fucking purchase I've ever made

take that, wedding ring

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Oh, Dwarfs!? has a demo, I'll give that a try

I'm tickled by the fact that it's from the same team that did Killing Floor.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    FlatEric wrote: »
    So, whoever has played Dwarfs!?, is it fun?

Maybe it's just because of the name, but from the gameplay video on steam it looked kind of like a skinned dwarf fortress lite.

I don't think I've ever played dwarf fortress

but I tried it. I got annoyed at the tutorial because I couldn't figure out how to level up my dwarves before throwing them so I just threw them and the tutorial yelled at me

I guess I'm not very helpful.

I'll probably end up giving it another chance at some point, but I have so many other games I'd rather play right now

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    does it have multiplayer, matt

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    does it have multiplayer, matt

Nope

Know why?

Just 'Cause

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png