As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Free MMO Überlist]

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    So Blade and Soul is heading to the West. It's F2P in Korea and I don't see NCSoft changing that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Just go a proper in Korea, but everyone who's been watching has been hoping, and it makes sense.

But it was always supposed to be p2p in Korea, and it was on release.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    So Blade and Soul is heading to the West. It's F2P in Korea...
    You sure about that? Last time I read about it they said it wasn't. Sure it's not just the beta that's the 'free' part?

• Options
    Beta was definitely f2p. Full release has been p2p so far.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Ah, fair enough.

• Options
    C9 is up on Steam if you want a convenient place to download and play it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    C9 is pretty neat so if you arent engrossed in some other game you should give it a shot.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Today is the last day that Black Prophecy will be open.

It held so much promise that was marred by boring factions and poor story narrative past the tutorial.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So RaiderZ is going into open beta next month and they're pre-selling some Founder type deal thing. The Elite option has a mount and an invite to the Neverwinter beta (whenever that happens.) Buying Torchlight 2 directly from PW also granted you beta access.

What I want to know is why hasn't Star Trek Online or Champions Online, you know Cryptic's own games, done something similar yet.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A comment posted on one of my youtube videos says that Metal Assault got shut down? Oh well. It wasn't the worst game going.

stream
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeah. It just got shut down without a word quite a long time ago. No idea why, but my guess would be rampant hacking, and the devs just went "Screw it" and shut it down.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Oh ok *updates list*

I have a to-do to fix this list, but unfortunately my life just got fucked up the a-hole by my boss

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    So RaiderZ is going into open beta next month and they're pre-selling some Founder type deal thing. The Elite option has a mount and an invite to the Neverwinter beta (whenever that happens.) Buying Torchlight 2 directly from PW also granted you beta access.

What I want to know is why hasn't Star Trek Online or Champions Online, you know Cryptic's own games, done something similar yet.

For what its worth, I had a lot more fun with RaiderZ action combat than Tera, if that's what someone wants to play. I know I'm gonna give it a go.

• Options
    DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    So after marathoning a bunch of old kung fu fight scenes on Youtube a couple of nights back I've had the somewhat large urge to beat the ever loving hell out of badguys with kung fu. Is 9Dragons any good for that? I'm not really looking for super deep and involved gameplay, mostly just for something that involves needlessly flashy fighting in an old martial arts movie-esque setting.

• Options
    Digito wrote: »
    So after marathoning a bunch of old kung fu fight scenes on Youtube a couple of nights back I've had the somewhat large urge to beat the ever loving hell out of badguys with kung fu. Is 9Dragons any good for that? I'm not really looking for super deep and involved gameplay, mostly just for something that involves needlessly flashy fighting in an old martial arts movie-esque setting.
    Give Dynasty Warriors Online a whirl. 9Dragons isn't actively bad, but it's a boring grindfest and the combat doesn't really make up for it.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Playing Sevencore at the moment. It's definitely an MMO.

Controls are pretty much what you're used to. Interface looks reasonable. The style is there. Graphics are pretty to look at. Combat animations and damage text are clean and sharp. Combat itself is bog-standard. Questing is the exact same shit you've been doing for over a decade. Quest text and story might be interesting, but I find myself hard-pressed to give even half a shit about it. The pet system is fairly typical, though once your minion reaches level ten or something, you can ride the thing around. Some are more fitted for combat, others for travel, though all of them can fight to some extent. Many have unique abilities fitting their theme, as well.

There's skill points and trees where you have to earn specialized abilities either through questing or tome drops. Two trees for each of the two weapon types that the classes have available. Only three classes and three races at the moment and I'd be surprised if they were ever any more. Item crafting is the usual, as far as I can tell. Upgrading those items is the same draconic "may fail and remove enchantments or break everything" that causes many people to just stay away from other MMOs altogether. Can't upgrade gear quality without little consumables, can't make sure your item doesn't break without a scroll, can't even use gems in sockets without unlocking those sockets with yet another consumable item. All of this shit is probably sold in the cash shop, which I never bothered to open.

Got to level 13 and it took me a good while. Experience comes super easy at lower levels, it's just finding the motivation to do all of this crap. Haven't been through any higher level content. Probably won't. There are guilds, but many of them have pretentious entry restrictions due to people's tendency to just drop out after a week. I can't say, with all confidence, that I won't be one of those people, so I just dick around for a little bit every couple of days. I swear I've played this thing before, but maybe I haven't. Fucking intro cut scene looks almost the same as at least two other MMOs I've played in the past.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    GinpachiGinpachi Registered User regular
    Wow, Rose Online is on Steam...? I played that a bit as a kid...

Onward, to Nostaliga!

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Ginpachi wrote: »
    Wow, Rose Online is on Steam...? I played that a bit as a kid...

Onward, to Nostaliga!

Yeah I was really surprised too. I didn't even know the game still existed, its super old and the spiritual successor to Ragnarok Online isn't it?

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    I wonder if that means Gravity will bring Ragnarok Online to Steam, too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    So probably a stupid question. I like to play DFO casually on and off, and usually start a new character in between play times because by the time I come back to it, I've forgotten what's what, and what not, you know? So I'm looking at going back to it again for another go, and wondering if there's any reason to go with Steam to play it over Nexon website? All I can think of is I would assume Steam is more secure, and their servers are more stable. I do remember people getting "hacked" all the time, when I was playing awhile back.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    Pretty sure almost all the F2P games on Steam just use their own servers, not Valve's.

Steam just allows for a very convenient place to download them. Especially ones that use Pando Media Booster since through Steam you won't use that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    As much as I dislike steam, if you have the option of running the game through steam instead of always having to go through the browser then steam should be your choice.

stream
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    The real draw is that the steam version is custom made so that the hackshield doesn't throw a fit with the steam overlay, like it would if you just tried to add it as a non-steam game.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ran88dom99ran88dom99 Registered User regular
    Alteil is having some huge sale with all the cards you could ever need from 11th edition made free so new players can get caught up. Alteil has the best card game mechanics imho but the game is a horrible money sink to great degree. On the other hand you 'could' tell all possible opponents to play only common cards and have the game be alot cheaper.

• Options
    Also please add Cardmaster Conflict. A really truly free tcg mmo.Relies on donations which also go to the webcomics that provide the art.

• Options
    ran88dom99 wrote: »
    Alteil is having some huge sale with all the cards you could ever need from 11th edition made free so new players can get caught up. Alteil has the best card game mechanics imho but the game is a horrible money sink to great degree. On the other hand you 'could' tell all possible opponents to play only common cards and have the game be alot cheaper.

I'd never heard of this game before, but I love this style of card game sort of thing....seems now is a good time to try it out.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    SpanishMatlockSpanishMatlock Registered User new member
    Hey there's a new hellmoo instance up, if anyone here is interested in that sort of thing. It's at hellmoo.org 8888, and it's griefing friendly, if you're into that kind of thing.

• Options
    Hey there's a new hellmoo instance up, if anyone here is interested in that sort of thing. It's at hellmoo.org 8888, and it's griefing friendly, if you're into that kind of thing.

Is this something to do with cows? I have no idea.

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    huh, was looking at random space ship images and came across star conflict art things

anyone here played this?

looks pretty at least

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    NB: Path of Exile is NOT free yet and should not be added until then.

However, it should definitely be added when it goes into open beta - I paid ten bucks to get into the closed beta early, and I am really pleased.

Basically, you are a criminal sent off to the fictional world's equivalent of Australia - Wraeclast. You are basically left to fend for yourself or die. It is a dangerous place with dangerous wildlife, an indigenous population and a weird, violent history that isn't spelled out for you. The game is developed by New Zealanders, which is neat.

Mechanics implement something similar to the Materia system from FF VII and also features a LARGE passive skill tree (more like web) that resembles the Sphere Grid from FF X. Combat involves clicking and hotkeys but feels violent, kinetic and fluid. It also isn't very difficult but punishes you significantly for dying too often. Health and mana is refilled by flasks that regenerate as you kill enemies.

The world is dark, quite realistic and "grainy" in a way that should satisfy Diablo II fans, there is no real artstyle or visual theme but Wraeclast is detailed and filled with some neat shadows. The music and audio design won't win awards but isn't based on stock resources.

I would really recommend PoE even if it would set you back a tenner or so. When it goes into open beta, you should really try it out if you need a low-entry, well-made and "complete" MMO with groups, trading, dungeons, bosses, lots of gear, stats, social functions and all that.

• Options
    I was interested in Path of Exile until I played it. It still has a chance to go somewhere, though.

The only other interesting thing to note is that they hired the guy who made one of the most popular Diablo 2 mods to work on the item properties in Path of Exile. Unfortunately, I always disliked that mod and thought it was full of really dumb stuff.

stream
  • Options
    Guh, I'm sorry this list isn't going anywhere. My life is a rollercoaster at the moment and I have no idea what I'll be doing next month, let alone next year. So uuhhh, I'll get back to this some time. If someone else wants to maintain it in some capacity, let me know. I uploaded the list in its current state to: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37411736/MMO Database.accdb

• Options
    What could i open that with?

Consider transferring to; http://videogamegeek.com/geeklist/138975/dota-like-aka-moba http://www.listal.com/list/dota-like http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/defense-of-the-ancients-variants

VGG may have a 3 week (Moby has 3 month) waiting period for every game submitted to db but i just write the up-comers as note/comment. VVG&list have videos and links embeddable in comments. Ok so i don't recommend moby games really. None of these have much of a community, ironically. EXHAUSTIVE list: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MassivelyMultiplayerOnlineRolePlayingGame

• Options
    That's a Microsoft Access database. I know there are plenty of lists with games available on the internet. I use them to keep track of what came out.

The added value of this one is that its completely independent and is far more cynical than most other sites. Also its the only list that bluntly tells you to avoid particular games.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Anyone else looking to try Raiderz?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    Anyone else looking to try Raiderz?
    I have played the CB of it, it is actually decent, although it suffers from the same ills as similar instanced skill-based games, in that there is little to no reason to play with others until end-game or if you play with friends. I rather fight everything myself than to put up with PuGs.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Aldo wrote: »
    That's a Microsoft Access database.
    The added value of this one is that its completely independent and is far more cynical than most other sites. Also its the only list that bluntly tells you to avoid particular games.
    Those sites are replacements for M-Access or a long forum page, not the list itself. Though now that i think about it, the effort of adding each miniscule game is not worth the payoff of easier reorganization, duplication, built in rating system, or comments per item. Not unless you are a big fan of a particular genera with few entries; like me and dotas and mmorts.

Open office can't open MADB, any chance you could transfer to googledocs?

You are missing End of Nations in strategy and Dreamlords is the biggest, stupidest grind in the universe.

ran88dom99 on
  • Options
    OK, I exported it to HTML for easy access: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37411736/freemmolist.html

I also added EoN, that game is going to be super interesting!

• Options
    Glitch is closing down. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/23/mmobility-why-the-closing-of-glitch-matters/ It was an interesting experiment, but the little I played of it bored me.

• Options
    I never touched it because the art style really rubbed me wrong.

This discussion has been closed.