As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kerbal Space Progam: Rocket science is harder than it looks!

randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
banner.jpg
Or alternatively...
xup4u.jpg

What is this game?
Kerbal Space Program is a new indie sandbox game that puts you in control of a frighteningly reckless space program. Your single goal is to put the successfully develop the Kerbals space program and send some brave little Kerbals into space. Secondary goals include actually bringing the crew back safely, remembering to put a parachutes on the capsule, and if you are lucky... err skilled enough... you might even be the first in Kerbal history to orbit the world.

XNPgd.jpg
Goals and controls just like they have at NASA!

Now keep in mind this game is very, very early in its development. The first version of the game came out a couple weeks ago but shows a lot of promise. For now your only goal is to actually get to Kerbalnauts out of the atmosphere and into space. To accomplish this you slap together a mish-mash of solid and liquid engines, explosive disconnectors, wings, and parachutes. Then you launch to mixed results. There's already been a few updates and website revisions with another version coming real soon. These guys seem dedicated to this and it's super easy to add in new parts and pieces. If you feel like you have the right stuff then you too can be one of the brave men and women to explore space!
Download Here

Since there aren't really any defined goals as of yet so a lot of it is finding fun things to do like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4spKNbcMVk

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSmwUs7nDWg

But at the end of the day KSP is, at it's core a game about the science of space flight which looks more like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcGWNtd5P7I

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
I never asked for this!
randombattle on

• Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jebediah is 8-) as fuck.

A note to new players though, try to avoid using the mod pieces for your first couple play sessions. They make breaking orbit drastically easier and take away some of the charm of launching your kerbels [strike]to their doom[/strike] into space in some horribly mishmashed atrocity of a rocket.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Avynte wrote: »
    Jebediah is 8-) as fuck.

A note to new players though, try to avoid using the mod pieces for your first couple play sessions. They make breaking orbit drastically easier and take away some of the charm of launching your kerbels [strike]to their doom[/strike] into space in some horribly mishmashed atrocity of a rocket.

Some of them just make sense though, especially the extra connector bits. The reason they seem to make the game easy, is because there's no real objective, just seeing how high you can get. When they add stuff like going to the moon? You're going to NEED massive rockets that have parts that allow for better stability. A lot of times I see two rocket parts sway wildly away from each other and rip off, and wish I had a connecting girder part that kept parts from moving or connecting parts together. As stress increases, more of them would be required to hold them together.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Looks insanely time consuming and fun.

I will download this now. (Also, change "then" to "than" in the title!)

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I love the little portraits.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is a fun little game.

Just wish I could get the damn parachute to open.

Edit: There we go, just needed to seperate stages properly. Safe orbit achieved.

Suriko on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So far, thirty three Kerbals have died in the name of science.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is amazingly fun, currently orbiting at around 3000m/s around, Earth? Whatever it is, but I'm still losing altitud though. God speed little Kerbals!

This game has a lot of potential, can't wait for new updates.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Can I get the Kerbal's asses to Mars?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Okay ...

1: High-speed lawndarts is really fun!

2: For a game in which proper positioning matters, it's really hard to line up your rocket motors.

3: I have this great design which nigh-immediately crashes into the launch tower, shatters, and explodes with rocket pieces going off in all kinds of directions. I haven't laughed this hard in forever.

4: But, seriously, the controls on this are tough.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Okay ...

1: High-speed lawndarts is really fun!

2: For a game in which proper positioning matters, it's really hard to line up your rocket motors.

3: I have this great design which nigh-immediately crashes into the launch tower, shatters, and explodes with rocket pieces going off in all kinds of directions. I haven't laughed this hard in forever.

4: But, seriously, the controls on this are tough.

Make sure you get the 0.8.1 update. It adds a way to symetrically place parts, making properly aligned rocket arrays much easier.

edit: As I posted this, 0.8.2 was put up, fixing a couple of bugs in the VAB.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is a really fantastic concept for the game. I hope they go full out with the space program management stuff. I want to have various clients that need certain types of rockets to carry a payload to a certain orbit/moon/planet.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've got to say, they're tough little buggers. I'm not sure how they survived 88G of acceleration, but they managed it.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This should go in the OP.
    xup4u.jpg

I wish my laptop could run this. However the videos are hilarious enough. :D

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I swear this game is more fun when you try to make rockets that have no chance of leaving the launching pad, let alone go into orbit. I made one that explodes right as the very first stage is initiated.

Morrandir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been hoping someone would make a thread for this (so I wouldn't have to). More people should be playing this game. It's the only game where failure is generally more fun than success.

jackal on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    1580 kilometers reached, unmodded.
    kerbel1.jpg

Only 354,820 to go until the moon now!

Edit: I have found the best soundtrack to this game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp_PIjc2ga4

Shit cribbed from a 4chan thread:
    1310558810994.jpg
    1310559814814.png
    1310559820835.png

Suriko on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Finally.

I've always wanted a chance to prove I can do it better than those assholes at NASA.

They think they own space or something.

Drake on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh, useful facts and links:

Orbit and Escape velocities

The planet is really small. It has a radius of 600 km (less than 1/3rd the moon), but the surface gravity is identical to Earth's. This means the planet is very, very dense. It is much more dense than any material that could exist outside of a neutron star. Because of the low mass in comparison to earth gravity drops off much quicker and escape velocity is much lower. (for example at 300 km above earth gravity doesn't drop off much at all. at 300 km above Kerbal it will have dropped off by roughly 1/3.)

The atmosphere is extremely thick, and ends at roughly 35 km. No matter how fast you are going when you hit the atmosphere you will be going 100 m/s by the time you hit 1 km.

Unless it has been fixed in 0.8.1 or 0.8.2 you will die if you land on the dark side of the planet. Common theories for the cause of this are xenomorphs, Riddick, and space communists.

jackal on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This should go in the OP.
    xup4u.jpg

I wish my laptop could run this. However the videos are hilarious enough. :D

Jeb ain't giving no damns

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The moon? I'm trying for Mars!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    holy shit this is timewaster of july 2011

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    urgh my computer at work cannot handle the game well, i must wait until i get home to kill all the poor little kerbals :shock:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    downloaded.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Can I get the Kerbal's asses to Mars?

Sure, its getting the rest of them there thats the problem. I'm pretty sure their body parts all made it to Jupiter that last explosion.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh my God.

I've wanted a game like this for a long, long time

Oh my God.

edit: Also
    jackal wrote: »
    Unless it has been fixed in 0.8.1 or 0.8.2 you will die if you land on the dark side of the planet. Common theories for the cause of this are xenomorphs, Riddick, and space communists.

This made me laugh pretty fucking hard. Well done.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am laughing my ass off :lol:

Built a rocket from scratch (after doing the tutorial and smugly thinking it was a piece of cake.)

Damn thing managed to veer out of control, I managed to mostly stabilize it in level flight (pretty damn close to the ground.)

Tried to quickly drop all rockets to try to save the poor fellas with the 'chute, but the one directly behind rammed the capsule and wouldn't let it deploy chute.

Then it crashed into the ground while my guys screamed their heads off.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    if there was a national agency for death rockets that have multiple stages of explosion

i could easily head the r and d department of that

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    v33cqa.jpg

They're still rocketing up into space at over two kilometers per second, and their rate of deceleration is actually slowing. I think they're lost in space.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    jeb don't mind

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    As you move away from the planet your rate of deceleration will always slow (because your distance is increasing). The question is whether your distance is increasing fast enough so that the force of gravity will never be able to pull you back in.

In your case the answer is "yes, and then some." Escape velocity at that altitude is only 800 something m/s.

useful table

jackal on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    They're at 11650 K now. I kind of wish there was a fast forward button or something. When (if) they ever get back to the earth, I'll post a shot of the rocket they used to get there.

Are any of the parts packs worthwhile? I kind of expect most of them to be cheat-rockets with hours of fuel and infinite thrust or something, which would kind of ruin the purpose of the game.

EDIT: Ah, so basically they're well and truly doomed? Well I feel a bit better, then. I can just abandon the poor bastards and get back to the real science.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    In terms of part packs, the fatboy XL is a bit of a cheat because it doesn't weigh enough. However I cannot recommend Sunday Punch's parts pack enough. AFAIK all his parts are properly weighted (except for the escape tower, but that's because otherwise it wouldn't work with the stock parachute).

edit: some parts in his part pack don't connect properly, but there isn't much in terms of documentation to work with, so not everything works quite right, but it is pretty great otherwise.

jackal on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    OK, another rocket which pretty much was this because it turned to level flight pretty fast. Amazingly, this time I managed to keep it level enough to exhaust the rockets and saved the poor bastards for another go.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    kleinfehnkleinfehn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I played this game until 3 in the morning when I had to work at 8.

Now there are mods? Oh god.....I will never sleep again.

kleinfehn on
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    As you move away from the planet your rate of deceleration will always slow (because your distance is increasing). The question is whether your distance is increasing fast enough so that the force of gravity will never be able to pull you back in.

In your case the answer is "yes, and then some." Escape velocity at that altitude is only 800 something m/s.

useful table
    Strictly speaking, if the velocity is all perpendicular to the planet, it doesn't matter how much you have, you'll always fall back. Basically, if you didn't thrust sideways going up, your guys are going to make a splatter at some point. Add in other sources of gravity and that may change.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Syrdon wrote: »

useful table
    Strictly speaking, if the velocity is all perpendicular to the planet, it doesn't matter how much you have, you'll always fall back. Basically, if you didn't thrust sideways going up, your guys are going to make a splatter at some point. Add in other sources of gravity and that may change.

I don't think that's correct.

edit: Eh, maybe it is... I don't know.

jackal on
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Short version of the argument is that gravity continues to have an effect regardless of distance, so it will continue to accelerate you towards the planet no matter how far you are from it. Its possible I'm thinking orbital speed though, been kinda a long day already.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Unfortunately my wunder-rocket design that doomed my mans to a slow death in the cold of space was lost. I've been trying to repeat my success with similar builds but all of them explode spectacularly in the air. I'm not sure if this is a failure or not.

At one point I tried to detach a rocket stage early to try and prevent them veering too far off-course, which resulted in three solid fuel rockets plowing through my entire spacecraft, including like 9 full liquid fuel canisters. It was beautiful and horrifying.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Syrdon wrote: »
    Short version of the argument is that gravity continues to have an effect regardless of distance, so it will continue to accelerate you towards the planet no matter how far you are from it. Its possible I'm thinking orbital speed though, been kinda a long day already.

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-41264.html

The gist of it is that once you are out of fuel it doesn't matter how you launched (but punching the heavens is the least energy efficient way to do it).

It is true that the earth's gravity will always exert some amount of force but if you are traveling away from the planet the sum of the force of gravity from now to infinity converges to a finite value. Unless I'm mistaken the value is exactly equal to the amount of force required to slow a body moving at escape velocity to 0.

jackal on
This discussion has been closed.