As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wisconsin] didn't mess it up for once

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Also, we have a budget surplus? I thought we were bleeding money for tax cuts and stadiums and Foxcon giveaways. Wasn't that why they've been cutting the UW budget and talking about selling roads to toll companies?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ok, so after so further research, we have a budget surplus in the sense that we got something like 380 million dollars when we were only expecting to get 260. So that's good. What's not so good is that we have some 1-2 billion dollars in expected expenditures.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    Ok, so after so further research, we have a budget surplus in the sense that we got something like 380 million dollars when we were only expecting to get 260. So that's good. What's not so good is that we have some 1-2 billion dollars in expected expenditures.

So... they don't have a budget surplus. They're just really really bad at math?

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Veagle wrote: »

So... they don't have a budget surplus. They're just really really bad at math?

Higher than thought tax receipts, still over budget.

• Options
    Near as I can tell, no we do not have a surplus.
    The state’s Comprehensive Annual Fiscal Report, released this week, shows state government ended its past fiscal year with a $1.6 billion deficit. That’s a big difference from the $385 million surplus announced last month. So what’s going on?

The surplus was calculated using cash accounting, which lets state leaders ignore liabilities. Cash accounting is similar to balancing your checkbook without factoring in what you owe on your credit cards.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So they just flat out lied, then. Not even a little surprised, and the media needs to really hammer that point home. Facing a record deficit, they are just giving money away in a blatant attempt to bribe voters. The party of fiscal responsibility right there!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    We have a tax surplus with a massive budget deficit. Any sane government should put that towards bills, not more frivolous spending. Personally, I have only talked about it in terms of walker bribing voters, which has made more than a few people go "Oh, yeah, it is, isn't it?". Just need to get the media to do the same.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The fact that it’s towards families should make it super obvious.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

And that it's barely over a quarter a day. That isn't an actual attempt to make a difference in anybody's life, just to engender thanks.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »

And that it's barely over a quarter a day. That isn't an actual attempt to make a difference in anybody's life, just to engender thanks.

Remember when papa Bush gave us all 300 buckos?

Scott Walker remembers.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, here's the first campaign ad for the Republican candidate for Senator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgJWMZTaD_k

Guess they're doubling down on that whole "we're horrible people" strategy.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

It's worked for them so far!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Holy shit. I want to believe that Wisconsin won't bite for that...

...but I haven't failed in being disappointed with my home state since creating this thread.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    NBC has Walker down double digits. Baldwin up about the same.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Love that the threatening dude is the same voice on each message and that it's in perfect audio clarity.

• Options
    Wisconsin primary stuffs: Leah Vukmir won the GOP nomination for Tammy Baldwin's Senate seat. Tony Evers is your Democratic candidate to take on Walker. Randy Bryce and his awesome Twitter handle get the nomination for Ryan's district.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Love that the threatening dude is the same voice on each message and that it's in perfect audio clarity.

To be fair, there are left leaning nuts, and full blown nuts that identify as left wing.

The major difference is Democratic politicians dont chase their votes, and Democratic voters dont elect them to office.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    On one hand I am hopeful, on the other hand the state voted for trump

• Options
    Polls in July had Evers leading against Walker by a decent margin, FWIW.

• Options
    Also, I just looked up the 2010 primaries. 614k votes in the GOP primary, 230k in the Democratic tonight, tonight is 486k Dems thus far, 400k GOP. No competitive race in 2010, it looks like, but still.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    On one hand I am hopeful, on the other hand the state voted for trump

Not for lack of trying. Voter disenfranchisement in Milwaukee alone more than accounts for the margin Trump won by.

• Options
    This is not necessarily indicative of how November goes, but in Ryan's district:

Dems 50.5%
    GOP 49.5%

Might be a shot there.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    This is not necessarily indicative of how November goes, but in Ryan's district:

Dems 50.5%
    GOP 49.5%

Might be a shot there.

It's a good sign, but I'd expect the Republican support to strengthen by election day. Probably worth throwing some resources that way just to keep the Republican party nervous.

I really hope Wisconsin gets its shit together, another few years of Republicans running the place and there won't be much left.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    After 2016 there isn't a poll on earth I trust.

• Options
    edited August 2018

They were actually pretty good... outside of the three decisive states. One of which was Wisconsin. The best Wisconsin polling outfit is Marquette University, their last poll had Walker up a couple.

And most of the polling error was probably because Comey fucked the country.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options

They were actually pretty good... outside of the three decisive states. One of which was Wisconsin. The best Wisconsin polling outfit is Marquette University, their last poll had Walker up a couple.

Also voter disenfranchisement in Milwaukee.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Also voter disenfranchisement in Milwaukee.

And let's not forget Russian ratfucking.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

MJS reporter

Guess it's time to shut down the capitol again.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I know its not the first time that's been pulled but its a startlingly contemptible move every time.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    open contempt for voters doesn't matter when you rule by divine mandate and not democratic votes

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    While depressing in the end, the 2010 protests were actually a blast to participate in.

I've got my sleeping bag ready. Let me know when I need to move in to the Capitol again.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    The Wisconsin legislature announced last night (Friday, Nov. 30) their plans for the special session that starts Monday. It's even worse that anyone imagined. They're basically removing the office of Attorney General altogether by giving the legislature authority over all in-state and multi-state lawsuits. They're stripping the governor of power over economic development and Medicaid and food stamp requirements. Early voting will be scaled back in future elections. A third election will be scheduled in Spring 2020, over the objections of nearly every county clerk in the state.

Details:
    The Legislature — not the attorney general — would have control of how to spend money from court settlements. The recently created office of the solicitor general, which oversees high-profile litigation, would be eliminated.

Legislators would gain the power to intervene in any litigation when a state law is challenged, and they would have the ability to appoint their own private attorneys — at taxpayer expense — to handle the case instead of the attorney general.

Legislators would also have the ability to sign off on court settlements.

In another change that has broad implications for the lawsuit over the Affordable Care Act, the Legislature’s budget committee — rather than the governor —would get to decide whether to continue or drop legal actions.

The governor also would no longer be able to choose who leads the Wisconsin Economic Development Corp., which oversees taxpayer-funded incentive packages provided to businesses in exchange for job creation.

Lawmakers would have more control over the jobs agency, which Evers has promised to disband and replace with a state Commerce Department. The WEDC board would choose the agency's leader instead of the governor.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Legislators would gain the power to intervene in any litigation when a state law is challenged, and they would have the ability to appoint their own private attorneys — at taxpayer expense — to handle the case instead of the attorney general.

What the fuck? Does this mean (a majority of) the Legislature, or a Legislator can intervene in a lawsuit?

The latter seems utterly absurd; like surely-this-is-a-poison-pill absurd.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

What the fuck? Does this mean (a majority of) the Legislature, or a Legislator can intervene in a lawsuit?

The latter seems utterly absurd; like surely-this-is-a-poison-pill absurd.

It's sour grapes, not poison pill. They lost the seat so they are stripping it of all it's power and moving that power into the one part of the government they can and have gerrymandered themselves into.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The whole thing is horrifically absurd

• Options
    A lot of that arguably violates Article 4 Section 4 of the US Constitution
    Section 4 - Republican Government. The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government

Though given the Roberts' Court he might instead choose to take that literally and outlaw Democrats in a Court challenge.

• Options
    Same stuff the Michigan legislature wants to do.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Under a sane system changing the powers of an elected office after the election takes place would be blatantly obviously unconstitutional. It's a fundamental violation of the voter's right to democratically choose their representatives.

This is why you don't have lame duck sessions.

shryke on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    "No, see, when the Founding Fathers enshrined 'separation of powers,' they mean separating power from elected Democrats."