As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wisconsin] didn't mess it up for once

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Evers wants to renegotiate Foxconn deal
    Gov. Tony Evers said Wednesday he wants to renegotiate the state's contract with Foxconn Technology Group because the Taiwanese company won't be creating 13,000 jobs in Wisconsin as originally envisioned.

"Clearly the deal that was struck is no longer in play and so we will be working with individuals at Foxconn and of course with (the Wisconsin Economic Development Corp.) to figure out how a new set of parameters should be negotiated," Evers told reporters in his Capitol office.

"All's we know is that the present contract deals with a situation that no longer exists, so it's our goal to make sure that the taxpayers are protected and environmental standards are protected," he said. "And we believe we need to take a look at that contract and see if it needs to be downsized as a result."

He said the company would not end up employing the 13,000 people, as company officials initially claimed.

"I think at this point in time that would be an unrealistic expectation when they are downsizing the footprint of what they're doing," he said. "So 13,000 people as Foxconn employees is probably difficult to imagine for me right now, but I suppose it could take in a different reaction."

He said state officials have a better understanding of where the project stands than they have in the past.

"I think we're at a point now where we're relatively confident that the original footprint of that project is going to be much smaller but it seems to be a footprint that everybody agrees is likely," Evers said.

About time.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    This follows on The Verge's reporting that Foxconn has leased a bunch of buildings in Wisconsin and moved dirt around...but they're almost all empty. They found about 20 people that they could definitely identify as working for Foxconn, in an unknown capacity.

• Options
    Hey, gang, long time no see, hope you're having a good summer.

I know this will shock you but the Foxconn deal is still fucked
    In 2017, Wisconsin offered Foxconn a record-breaking subsidy to build an LCD factory in the state, only to see the promised factory fall behind schedule and grow progressively smaller. Now, the Wisconsin Department of Administration has requested a reassessment of the costs and benefits to the state regarding the far-tinier facility.

The report, which was conducted by Tim Bartik of the Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, finds that the smaller facility raises the already unusually high cost per job even further. If the subsidy levels in the current contract are kept, each Foxconn job would cost taxpayers about $290,000, Bartik found, compared to $172,000 if Foxconn built the original $10 billion, 13,000-job facility. For comparison, Bartik estimated the subsidies Virginia offered Amazon for its second headquarters amounted to between $10,000 and $13,000 per job.

“The most important conclusion of this analysis is that it is difficult to come up with plausible assumptions under which a revised Foxconn incentive contract, which offers similar credit rates to the original contract, has benefits exceeding costs,” Bartik wrote. “The incentives are so costly per job that it is hard to see how likely benefits will offset these costs.”

Verge has been doing consistently great reporting on this.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man too bad that democrat messed up those republican plans so badly. I'm sure the next GOP governor will get that down to 300k per job!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    That explains the email from my rep this morning praising Foxconn and Walker, I suppose.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Is there anything Evers can do to set this shit alight given the courts continued neutering of his power? (I'm assuming the line item veto power is going to be thrown out any day here)

override367 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Is there anything Evers can do to set this shit alight given the courts continued neutering of his power? (I'm assuming the line item veto power is going to be thrown out any day here)

Resign and let the GOP promote the 500k per job deal the fox conn plant is bringing to wisconsin with rapturous applause? Like I dunno every story out of the state is depressing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I suppose he could simply declare emininent domain to sieze the propery.

• Options
    KleinKlein Registered User regular
    It's terrible how the Republicans are decimating the state and then entrenching themselves due to gerrymandering. I don't know what voters are supposed to do besides have an even greater wave election or just leave the state.

• Options

The study is intended as the opening salvo in the re-negotiation of the contract, which was a campaign promise of Evers'.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Klein wrote: »
    It's terrible how the Republicans are decimating the state and then entrenching themselves due to gerrymandering. I don't know what voters are supposed to do besides have an even greater wave election or just leave the state.

We're on the path to have like 12 actual democracy-practicing states that are constantly litigating with federal courts to retain the power to self govern and the rest will all be quasi fascist republics.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    In Dane county, intoxication is now consent for sex.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime-and-courts/dane-county-da-s-office-won-t-pursue-charges-against/article_1b617607-5ea4-5b7a-a5c6-9642f6d61f42.html
    A woman told Madison police that her Lyft driver, Jeremy Foley, 24, locked the doors of his car and demanded she perform a sex act on him Friday on the Near East Side.

Ozanne said in a statement that his decision not to file charges against Foley did not have to do with the credibility of the woman. Ozanne said he did not believe there was enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the crime occurred.

The woman had been out drinking and contacted the ride-sharing service to get a safe ride home from an address on East Washington Avenue around 1:15 a.m., Madison police said.

This comes on the heels of Former-and-soon-to-be-again Badger Quintez Cephus was aquitted by a jury of raping 2 woman after they went to his apartment after drinking.

Fuck. This. State.

Veevee on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    In Dane county, intoxication is now consent for sex.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime-and-courts/dane-county-da-s-office-won-t-pursue-charges-against/article_1b617607-5ea4-5b7a-a5c6-9642f6d61f42.html
    A woman told Madison police that her Lyft driver, Jeremy Foley, 24, locked the doors of his car and demanded she perform a sex act on him Friday on the Near East Side.

Ozanne said in a statement that his decision not to file charges against Foley did not have to do with the credibility of the woman. Ozanne said he did not believe there was enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the crime occurred.

The woman had been out drinking and contacted the ride-sharing service to get a safe ride home from an address on East Washington Avenue around 1:15 a.m., Madison police said.

This comes on the heels of Former-and-soon-to-be-again Badger Quintez Cephus was aquitted by a jury of raping 2 woman after they went to his apartment after drinking.

Fuck. This. State.

What the fuck

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    The article is pretty brief, but nothing in it seems to state that having been drinking impacted the decision to drop the case. The DA even notes that the woman's credibililty was not at issue, but the fact that could find no corroborating evidence was.

• Options
    Blarghy wrote: »
    The article is pretty brief, but nothing in it seems to state that having been drinking impacted the decision to drop the case. The DA even notes that the woman's credibililty was not at issue, but the fact that could find no corroborating evidence was.

The article directly states that he would be unable to prove a crime occurred beyond a reasonable doubt. In the wake of the Cephus jury verdict, this says to me that if you are female and intoxicated the DA believes a jury will not believe you.

• Options
    Speaking of criminal justice in Dane county being shitty, the Madison police union has their collective underwear in a bunch because the mayor said that punching a handcuffed, mentally ill teenager in the head multiple times on video will never be "best practices." Is there anyone more scared of being held accountable than police officers?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

The article directly states that he would be unable to prove a crime occurred beyond a reasonable doubt. In the wake of the Cephus jury verdict, this says to me that if you are female and intoxicated the DA believes a jury will not believe you.

Sadly, he's almost certainly correct. Article says it was he said/she said with no corroborating witnesses or evidence. Unfortunately history shows a jury is very unlikely to come back with a guilty verdict on that alone. And with courts in this country being overburdened (a whole other sad topic about justice), they're generally going to triage cases and drop low percentage ones.

As much as I feel for the victim(s) and wish any claim of "no consent" was enough, it's a catch-22 because allowing conviction on nothing but an individual accusation would be equally bad, and overall worse if it could be applied to every possible crime. Unfortunately, I don't know how you solve that paradox reasonably before getting into absurdity like wearing body cams 24 hours a day.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Sadly, he's almost certainly correct. Article says it was he said/she said with no corroborating witnesses or evidence. Unfortunately history shows a jury is very unlikely to come back with a guilty verdict on that alone. And with courts in this country being overburdened (a whole other sad topic about justice), they're generally going to triage cases and drop low percentage ones.

As much as I feel for the victim(s) and wish any claim of "no consent" was enough, it's a catch-22 because allowing conviction on nothing but an individual accusation would be equally bad, and overall worse if it could be applied to every possible crime. Unfortunately, I don't know how you solve that paradox reasonably before getting into absurdity like wearing body cams 24 hours a day.

If the girls sexual history is fair game in court, then prior accusations made by the plaintiff or against the defendant should be fair game as well.

Unfortunately that leaves us in the position where women have to go through the trauma of court just so their attacker has some sort of record to help protect future victims.

Not ideal but maybe better than the status quo

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Alright to bring back this thread? There was some particularly stupid politics out of the Wisconsin GOP.

Namely, an in-person convention. Cram a bunch of old maskless men together and see what happens.

At least one of the speakers appeared to be infected:

Twitter rando, but it's 14 seconds of video taken off the GOP's live feed.

There will be yet another outbreak coming from this convention but I doubt that will defer Trump or any of the other state conventions.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Lovely. Thread title updated.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    JESUS FUCK, TONY EVERS JUST MURDERED MY ENTIRE FAMILY IN FRONT OF ME!

Wait, no, Evers just implemented a mask mandate.

Similar outrage from some people, however.

• Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

https://waow.com/2020/07/30/republican-state-senator-calls-for-special-session-to-end-mask-order/
    The reaction to Gov. Tony Evers' statewide indoor mask order was swift from legislative Republicans.

Sen. Steve Nass (R-Whitewater) called on Speaker Robin Vos and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald to immediately call the Legislature back into session to pass a joint resolution ending Evers’ emergency declaration.

"Governor Evers actions today are nothing more than a political stunt to create a partisan fight with the Legislature," Nass said in a statement. "This is not about improving public health. Today’s emergency declaration is all about the November election and the weak performance of Democrats in this state."

Vos said in a statement that he expects legal challenges from citizen groups.

“Local governments have been responding appropriately and increasing precautionary measures as needed. But Wisconsin shouldn’t have a one-size-fits-all mandate," Vos said.

Now republicans believe the virus respects city limits.

jfc fuck these guys. I know it won't happen, but I really hope there voters see this as their representative is trying to maim or kill them.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

https://waow.com/2020/07/30/republican-state-senator-calls-for-special-session-to-end-mask-order/
    The reaction to Gov. Tony Evers' statewide indoor mask order was swift from legislative Republicans.

Sen. Steve Nass (R-Whitewater) called on Speaker Robin Vos and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald to immediately call the Legislature back into session to pass a joint resolution ending Evers’ emergency declaration.

"Governor Evers actions today are nothing more than a political stunt to create a partisan fight with the Legislature," Nass said in a statement. "This is not about improving public health. Today’s emergency declaration is all about the November election and the weak performance of Democrats in this state."

“Local governments have been responding appropriately and increasing precautionary measures as needed. But Wisconsin shouldn’t have a one-size-fits-all mandate," Vos said.

jfc fuck these guys. I know it won't happen, but I really hope there voters see this as their representative is trying to maim or kill them.

Doesn't matter, the democrats need like 66% of the vote to scrape out a bare majority in the legislature

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Doesn't matter, the democrats need like 66% of the vote to scrape out a bare majority in the legislature

Hopefully Evers is able to prevent such egregious maps with the new redistricting for the next election.

• Options
    I will never cease to be amazed at how basic steps to prevent the spread of a plague are somehow partisan.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I will never cease to be amazed at how basic steps to prevent the spread of a plague are somehow partisan.

American exceptionalism. Other countries fear COVID. Not America. Well, not exceptional Americans. Exceptional Americans don't get COVID. Or if they do, they beat it, or they sacrificed themselves for the greater good.

Only wussy liberals are afraid of it. Only wussy liberals are afraid to die for their country.

Are you a wussy liberal, or an exceptional American?

That's the shit they peddle.

• Options

The Wisconsin GOP would try to block anything Gov. Evers did regardless. They are incredibly indignant that a Democrat got elected governor. They see him as an outsider from Madison, as opposed to Wisconsin, who has no business being in the governor's mansion. They're throwing a big old tantrum until he leaves.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I got flyers in the mail today urging me to vote for and against Rob Hutton (R) for state assembly.

The opposition flyer used a more flattering photo than the one from his own campaign, lol :razz:

Spoilered for size:
    eg80a2oxw0tn.jpg

edit: now with 100% less personally identifying info :crackle:

Calica on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    @Calica Your name and address are in that pic.

• Options
    @Calica Your name and address are in that pic.

Shit, I even checked before posting. I hate my brain sometimes *sigh*

Thank you.

• Options
    It's happened. The hospitals are filling up and getting overwhelmed in Wisconsin. Patients are getting shuttled to whatever hospitals still have beds or being put on waiting lists. Or just plain dying. Record daily deaths on top of the hospital records. And the positivity rate remains above 20% for the state.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    It's happened. The hospitals are filling up and getting overwhelmed in Wisconsin. Patients are getting shuttled to whatever hospitals still have beds or being put on waiting lists. Or just plain dying. Record daily deaths on top of the hospital records. And the positivity rate remains above 20% for the state.

Shit. I hope they can get this under control, because once hospital capacity is saturated, that's it. The death rate skyrockets.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Republican legislature filed a suit yesterday, asking the state courts to nullify Gov. Evers' most recent renewal of the emergency order and mask mandate.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Republican legislature filed a suit yesterday, asking the state courts to nullify Gov. Evers' most recent renewal of the emergency order and mask mandate.

I'm glad we in Michigan have encouraged this nonsense.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    What possible reason could you have for opposing the mask mandate? "I should have the right to infect myself and others with a disease that is overwhelming our medical capabilities?"

Like how do you justify this beyond openly saying "fuck the libs?"

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    What possible reason could you have for opposing the mask mandate? "I should have the right to infect myself and others with a disease that is overwhelming our medical capabilities?"

Because COVID is a myth liberals made up to try to steal the election in the fall. Not withstanding this weekend's events.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Freedom

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Freedom

Yeah, basically their reasoning is *gestures broadly at the constitution whilst scowling*

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

Freedom

Yeah, basically their reasoning is *gestures broadly at the constitution whilst scowling*

No, that's not quite right, their reason is, and I quote: "fuck you got mine"

• Options
    Update on the hospitals: a field hospital at the state fair grounds is being opened this coming week to try to create some excess capacity just as hospital capacity disappears across the state.

Incidentally, as the press release mentions, there's only funding to keep the field hospital open through the end of the year, no matter how bad it gets. Further federal funding would be needed for 2021, but *waves at Senate*