As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wisconsin] didn't mess it up for once

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I went to an outdoor craft fair yesterday. Masks required, but people were making no effort to distance. Also there was a food area where masks weren't required when eating. In retrospect it wasn't smart to go, and if I'd known in advance how small/crowded the outdoor area was (bounded by buildings on one side and woods on the other) I would have stayed home.

At least it was windy.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Wisconsin's mask order lives another day as a judge in northwestern Wisconsin upholds it against a challenge from a conservative legal group. He cited that the leg could meet at any time and vote to end the state of emergency instead of going to the courts, which of course they won't do.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Wisconsin's mask order lives another day as a judge in northwestern Wisconsin upholds it against a challenge from a conservative legal group. He cited that the leg could meet at any time and vote to end the state of emergency instead of going to the courts, which of course they won't do.

Which comes back to the greater crisis in our courts - the Republicans are trying to use them as a superlegislature to push decisions that they can't push in the actual legislature without electoral blowout.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I see these fools who are chasing the shortest term profits over long-term survival, not just of their businesses but for themselves, and I hope none of their businesses survive and their lobby is wiped out.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

...and rescue the state Supreme Court.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2023-elections/wisconsin-state-supreme-court-results

The progressive judge ran on reproductive freedom and won by 10%.

The conservative judge, speaking from the Republican party headquarters, lashed out, saying that his opponent inappropriately politicized the race by saying that she believed that women should be able to get abortions.

Anyway, this all happens in time to potentially un-fuck the Republican gerrymandering for the upcoming election.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

...and rescue the state Supreme Court.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2023-elections/wisconsin-state-supreme-court-results

The progressive judge ran on reproductive freedom and won by 10%.

The conservative judge, speaking from the Republican party headquarters, lashed out, saying that his opponent inappropriately politicized the race by saying that she believed that women should be able to get abortions.

Anyway, this all happens in time to potentially un-fuck the Republican gerrymandering for the upcoming election.

Yeah, the numbers I've heard is that Wisconsin has been so turbo-fucked by Republican corruption that voting has to be 70% Democratic for a simple majority choice, whereas something like a 45% Republican vote is enough to get a supermajority on anything.

If they can obliterate the gerrymandering, Wisconsin could immediately go from a swing state the GOP only barely hangs onto to an actual representative vote of what the citizens want, which means the GOP loses majority control there basically forever. Hopefully the first major crumbling of many such GOP structures of corruption they've built over the decades specifically to block the majority view in order to keep power for themselves.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    It's worth being honest that, because of partisan sorting geographically, even fair maps would probably still result in Republican control of the state legislature, albeit with much smaller majorities. Madison is just so overwhelmingly blue compared to a fair amount of the state that is red but not overwhelmingly so, that to get 50/50 representation out of a 50/50 statewide vote would basically require dividing up Madison in a hub/spoke model, with a bunch of districts that pair a sliver of Madison with a significant stretch of outlying rural areas. Anything that keeps Madison neighborhoods together is going to result in a cluster of seats that Democrats win with 80/20 majorities, and then a greater number outstate that they often lose 47-53.

But fair maps would remove the possibility that Republicans could get supermajorities in the legislature with 48% of the state vote, and would make Democratic majorities possible in strong Democratic years, an outcome that is almost impossible now.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Rumblings that the state senate is just going to impeach the winner so she never gets to rule on anything

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    WI Republicans hate democracy even by GOP standards, so I guess we're about to see whether they're willing to commit hard enough to that to just unilaterally purge state offices held by representatives of the incorrect parties. If they want to go full auto-coup it's probably now or never.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Rumblings that the state senate is just going to impeach the winner so she never gets to rule on anything

On what grounds?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

On what grounds?

They are Republicans, and are not fans of democracy

• Options

On what grounds?

I mean, if the national Democrats could impeach Trump, the most innocent man to have ever lived...

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Oh I 100% get that they’re not genuine and the entire thing would be baseless, but I’m curious what fake grounds they would come up with to justify it, morbidly curious I suppose

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Oh I 100% get that they’re not genuine and the entire thing would be baseless, but I’m curious what fake grounds they would come up with to justify it, morbidly curious I suppose

At best*? I'd assume they'd go with a rigged election. That's about the only event you can hang something on that isn't just the judge's basic existence. The other option would probably be a full on gish gallop word salad.

*In the sense that they actually are going to try and put some effort into this to make it look vaguely legitimate.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Impeachment would give the democratic governor the opportunity to appoint whoever he wants. And if they impeach the governor that role would fall to his equally democratic vice-governor.

From my outsiders view Wisconsin republicans have the problem that a majority of their voting base is so toxic that the swing-votes are running away from them as fast as they can. The people in charge of the republican voting strategy didn't want Dan Kelly to be their representatives (he's unelectable in pretty much every metric, and his behavior after the election illustrates that), but they couldn't get their preferred candidate past the primaries.

The same toxic voter base elects politicians that are so dumb (or thoroughly corrupt) that they talk about impeachment without cause even when attempting to do so would give them nothing in return.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Impeachment would give the democratic governor the opportunity to appoint whoever he wants. And if they impeach the governor that role would fall to his equally democratic vice-governor.

From my outsiders view Wisconsin republicans have the problem that a majority of their voting base is so toxic that the swing-votes are running away from them as fast as they can. The people in charge of the republican voting strategy didn't want Dan Kelly to be their representatives (he's unelectable in pretty much every metric, and his behavior after the election illustrates that), but they couldn't get their preferred candidate past the primaries.

The same toxic voter base elects politicians that are so dumb (or thoroughly corrupt) that they talk about impeachment without cause even when attempting to do so would give them nothing in return.

What if they change the law before they impeach so that the legislature gets to appoint?

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

What if they change the law before they impeach so that the legislature gets to appoint?

The governor sues, and the courts maybe puts a stay on that until the case is resolved?

Basically this is the end game for the Republicans. They literally have to throw everything at the wall, and need the support of the existing court, or they lose all the power they've been working on for decades.

But in doing so, they're revealing their whole ass, completely giving away the game that they're only interested in an authoritarian one-party state.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The basis they've stated is that she was too lenient as a judge.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular

Sounds to me like that is prerogative as a judge, and not legitimately impeachable.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Sounds to me like that is prerogative as a judge, and not legitimately impeachable.

Yeah, they don't care.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

"Impeachable" means "whatever the legislature decides 'impeachable' means." There isn't really anything structurally preventing Wisconsin Republicans (or, as of last night, Tennessee Republicans) from simply deciding "being a Democrat" is an impeachable offense, just the question of whether they want to endure the blowback.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I suspect the only thing stopping them from attempting this shit, is that even though the GOP controls enough seats in Wisconsin's senate to remove, they just don't have the votes. They are essentially in the position that the national democrats found themselves in regards to the Senate last session. On paper, they had the numbers to pass anything they wanted. The issue was that they lacked a majority that wanted to do that, despite the vast majority of the party wanting to kill the filibuster and pass a number of bills.

Most of the GOP state senate of Wisconsin probably want to be authoritarian shitheads and impeach all the democrats they can. It's not going to happen because at least one republican in that chamber has made it clear that they will not play ball. Hell, that republican may have the receipts some illegal shit their colleagues have been up to and that's what we're not even seeing them go with the circus show. So you'll get some assholes in the chamber make wanking motions about how they'll totally do it and it comes to naught.

As for why one or more republicans might hold out against the move, and possible might even be threatening their own chamber not to start the shit show. Well there are a ton of reasons they might be opposed to the play. There is a slim chance that one finds that to be a step too far, as laughable as that might sound. There is the possibility that they believe the risks just aren't worth it. Not only is there fear that it might really piss off the public that the vote goes hard against them. They might also fear what certain members of their party will start doing to them. Authoritarian shit weasels and fascist shit pigs are notorious for no true Scotsman shit. Once they get the current opposition out of power, they then create a new one from the remaining ruling elite. After all, they are a party that doesn't offer solutions and only blames others, once you can't pass the buck off as being the fault of the democrats, someone in the GOP's ruling party is going to have to take the fall for all the failures of the party, that are solely on the republican party.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »
    I suspect the only thing stopping them from attempting this shit, is that even though the GOP controls enough seats in Wisconsin's senate to remove, they just don't have the votes. They are essentially in the position that the national democrats found themselves in regards to the Senate last session. On paper, they had the numbers to pass anything they wanted. The issue was that they lacked a majority that wanted to do that, despite the vast majority of the party wanting to kill the filibuster and pass a number of bills.

Most of the GOP state senate of Wisconsin probably want to be authoritarian shitheads and impeach all the democrats they can. It's not going to happen because at least one republican in that chamber has made it clear that they will not play ball. Hell, that republican may have the receipts some illegal shit their colleagues have been up to and that's what we're not even seeing them go with the circus show. So you'll get some assholes in the chamber make wanking motions about how they'll totally do it and it comes to naught.

As for why one or more republicans might hold out against the move, and possible might even be threatening their own chamber not to start the shit show. Well there are a ton of reasons they might be opposed to the play. There is a slim chance that one finds that to be a step too far, as laughable as that might sound. There is the possibility that they believe the risks just aren't worth it. Not only is there fear that it might really piss off the public that the vote goes hard against them. They might also fear what certain members of their party will start doing to them. Authoritarian shit weasels and fascist shit pigs are notorious for no true Scotsman shit. Once they get the current opposition out of power, they then create a new one from the remaining ruling elite. After all, they are a party that doesn't offer solutions and only blames others, once you can't pass the buck off as being the fault of the democrats, someone in the GOP's ruling party is going to have to take the fall for all the failures of the party, that are solely on the republican party.

There's also the possibility they are in a marginal seat and don't want to lose the next election.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Given that state senator who won did it by like 1% in a district that has been solid read for the last 30 years. If the needle is moving that much a lot of people who have suburban districts have to be clenching a bit right now trying not to get waved in 2024.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Wrong thread

moniker on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

There's also the possibility they are in a marginal seat and don't want to lose the next election.

Party over country, but me over party.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Protasiewicz was just sworn in, officially swinging the court to the left.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Protasiewicz was just sworn in, officially swinging the court to the left.

How's it hanging indeed.

• Options
    This and a Trump indictment. It's a good day.

• Options
    Sounds like Wisconsin bullshit partisan and anti-voter gerrymander might finally get shattered. Don't know if it'll cost the GOP control of either chamber in Wisconsin, when they their next elections, but it does sound like it might flip one or two seats in the US House of Representatives. Sucks that democrats don't have a bigger majority in the US Senate, but we'll see how shit goes.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Sounds like Wisconsin bullshit partisan and anti-voter gerrymander might finally get shattered. Don't know if it'll cost the GOP control of either chamber in Wisconsin, when they their next elections, but it does sound like it might flip one or two seats in the US House of Representatives. Sucks that democrats don't have a bigger majority in the US Senate, but we'll see how shit goes.

Wi is super hard to gerrymander in favor of the dems in the house. Milwaukee and Madison are encircled by red, and the few other strongholds are relative small colleges hundreds of miles from each other.

Some old union support up by superior. Ohh and one county that is basically an Indian rez, that voted like 85% Biden. But only has like 4k people.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Wi is super hard to gerrymander in favor of the dems in the house. Milwaukee and Madison are encircled by red, and the few other strongholds are relative small colleges hundreds of miles from each other.

Some old union support up by superior. Ohh and one county that is basically an Indian rez, that voted like 85% Biden. But only has like 4k people.

Doesn't need to get gerrymandered in favor of the dems, just needs to get rid of the extreme red gerrymander already in place and the constituents can take it from there.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

Doesn't need to get gerrymandered in favor of the dems, just needs to get rid of the extreme red gerrymander already in place and the constituents can take it from there.

Wisconsin is, well...was...a union state. I feel like the people could return to basically progressive values if the thumb gets removed from the scale.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Wisconsin is, well...was...a union state. I feel like the people could return to basically progressive values if the thumb gets removed from the scale.

It's a coin flip, given the most recent margins for Statewide office, but that's a hell of a lot better than needing a supermajority to break even. Plus, people tend to like it when their government does good things. Just look at your neighbors.

• Options

Yeah, I'm not advocating for gerrymandering for the democrats. I'm asking if there a chance of the GOP losing control of one or both state chambers, if they don't get to simply rig the system. I know there majorities will shrink because of just how bullshit their Gerrymandering is. Might be pretty funny if it outright collapses because the theocracy horseshit has not be popular; especially, the force birth shit.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

It's a coin flip, given the most recent margins for Statewide office, but that's a hell of a lot better than needing a supermajority to break even. Plus, people tend to like it when their government does good things. Just look at your neighbors.

Technically I am the neighbor. Moved from Wisconsin to Minnesota 30 years ago. Hope WI can repeat MN's successes eventually.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The WI Supreme Court chief justice is having a sad/mad that she's no longer in control:
    The conservative chief justice of the Wisconsin Supreme Court accused her liberal colleagues of a “raw exercise of overreaching power” after they flexed their new majority Wednesday and fired the director of the state’s court system.

The four liberal justices, on just their second day as a majority on the court after 15 years under conservative control, voted to fire Randy Koschnick. Koschnick held the job for six years after serving for 18 years as a judge and running unsuccessfully as a conservative in 2009 against then-Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson, a liberal.

“To say that I am disappointed in my colleagues is an understatement,” Chief Justice Annette Ziegler, now a member of the three-justice conservative minority, said in a lengthy statement after Koschnick was fired.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    The WI Supreme Court chief justice is having a sad/mad that she's no longer in control:
    The conservative chief justice of the Wisconsin Supreme Court accused her liberal colleagues of a “raw exercise of overreaching power” after they flexed their new majority Wednesday and fired the director of the state’s court system.

The four liberal justices, on just their second day as a majority on the court after 15 years under conservative control, voted to fire Randy Koschnick. Koschnick held the job for six years after serving for 18 years as a judge and running unsuccessfully as a conservative in 2009 against then-Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson, a liberal.

“To say that I am disappointed in my colleagues is an understatement,” Chief Justice Annette Ziegler, now a member of the three-justice conservative minority, said in a lengthy statement after Koschnick was fired.

You're right, Annette, it does suck when someone abuses a majority. It would suck more if they abused it for 15 years. Just sayin'.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Did they have a reason for firing him or was it just he's a conservative so he's got to go?