Options

Buffy/Angel watching order advice

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    I always gotta hug you-know-who-but-not-said-for-spoiler-reasons when I see "The Body". It's really fucked up how just...how shit like that just happens. The episode was too real.

I'm getting all misty just thinking about it.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    S4 Angel just kind of lost the fun, for most of the season.
    Especially annoying that the writers somehow managed to bring back Angelus and have it be boring.
    Angelus was amazing for the first episode while he was in the cage.

Shit yes that episode was awesome. That and a dream episode before, where you think everything's gonna be all good but NOPE!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I think the writers must have realized they couldn't keep their planned arc and do justice to an Angelus arc so they just cut it off at the knees.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Tox wrote:
    Capt Howdy wrote:
    Another favorite scene for me is everyone's reaction to Lindsey singing.

Especially Angel's.

That was actually a pretty important scene, in the long run of the series. It helped reinforce the "shades of gray" undertone that show wanted to deal with.

On the surface Angel was about "Fight the Good Fight" as a theme. Good vs Evil, all that. But in watching it, you sort of start to see that immediately below the surface of that theme is another theme, where things are exactly the opposite. You want there to be a White vs Black, Light vs Dark aspect, but it's not really there. It's all shades of gray, which makes the "Good Fight" a lot harder, because what's really the right thing to do, in a world without absolutes, and where the source of ultimate evil is the potential for evil in all living souls?

Shit like that and S2's "Reprise" really set the tone of the series for me.

:^: I've never really analyzed that episode until you said this.

I shall say Thank you, and watch Angel with my wife tonight.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, to Angel and co Lindsay was an asshole and a bad guy. To Lorne? He was nice to have around.

Season 1 is all about establishing the meta-story and primary theme of Angel. Season 2 immediately subverts the primary theme with the secondary theme (that while there is an Ultimate Good and an Ultimate Evil, which side you're on and who's side you're helping is a lot grayer for most people). Season 3 explores it a bit deeper, and starts exploring "actions and consequences" with episodes like "Billy" and "Offspring" and entire Holtz arc. Season 4 is basically just a season long Empire Strikes Back. Things start bad, get just better enough to get bad again, and sort of go up and down a very short spectrum of "Things really suck" to "Things only mostly suck."

Season 5 sort of brings it around full circle. It touches on all the major themes (there's some Good vs Evil, some shades of gray, and some actions have consequences). Tone and mood jump around a bit, and in the end, the story ends exactly as it should for a Champion.

Tox on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    S4 Angel just kind of lost the fun, for most of the season.
    Especially annoying that the writers somehow managed to bring back Angelus and have it be boring.
    Angelus was amazing for the first episode while he was in the cage.
    Angelus was brilliant all the time. He didn't stick around for very long though and there was too much focus on creepy cordelia and connor.

• Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I liked Angel Season 4. It was pretty stupid most of the time, but it was more entertaining than Season 3 (the low point of the series IMO).

I'm not really sure why I disliked S3, though. It just seemed to drag on.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I liked Angel Season 4. It was pretty stupid most of the time, but it was more entertaining than Season 3 (the low point of the series IMO).

Really? I loved Holtz and Sahjan.

• Options
    Wasn't season 3 the one with most of the flashbacks? I mean, both season 2 and 3 had tons of them, but I seem to recall 3 having more, because of Holtz.

Holtz was great, up until he came back. Then he pretty much pissed me off.

• Options

I agree with you there. Season 3 is the worst of the lot. I think that's also partly due to it ending on a huge downer.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    For some reason Sahjan really seemed like he belonged on Charmed instead of Angel. I like a lot of his arc, but the character himself really felt out of place.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    man I'm watching the first season of Buffy again and damn this is really really 90s. Like, really 90s.

Also, those vampires sure change a lot for being immortal creatures.
    For some reason Sahjan really seemed like he belonged on Charmed instead of Angel. I like a lot of his arc, but the character himself really felt out of place.
    I get that. He walks around and talks like he's on Charmed, that show did have a lot less action and their villains were kinda like that. Until he turns out to be incredibly evil of course.

Also, wiki tells me Nathan Fillion auditioned for the role of Angel.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote:

I can see that point. Him being incorporeal made him too weak of a threat, and he never really seemed to have a good plan going for him. Holtz was awesome though.

Wesley is one of the best characters in all fiction ever. True story, and definitely my favorite character from the Angel/Buffy universe.

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    The lack of cell phones really made things difficult for the first half of the show.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote:
    The lack of cell phones really made things difficult for the first half of the show.

Reminds me of...

Fight Club spoiler in that video, BTW, in case you're like the last person on earth who hasn't seen it (and would care).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    I like how angels dislike of cellphones was a recurring gag for the first couple seasons of Angel.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Neaden wrote:
    I like how angels dislike of cellphones was a recurring gag for the first couple seasons of Angel.

It's such a great plot device, but well built into the character of somebody who has lived for so long without them. I also like the time he did take it and it just died on him, or the service would be shitty.

• Options
    Yeah, Angel actually managed to handle the issue fairly well.

Plus it was incredibly in character not only for him to find them incredibly annoying, but for that fact to be incredibly annoying to Cordy.

• Options
    I like to think nowadays writers can handle cell phones but I understand how they wanted to wish them away back in Angel times.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    In other news I'm watching Angel s2 right now and am liking it. Wes, Cordy, Gunn and Angel are all pretty much on their game.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I like to think nowadays writers can handle cell phones but I understand how they wanted to wish them away back in Angel times.
    Well I think it is fine in Angel because it makes sense for him. Buffy was a teenage girl so would be much more cell phone friendly.

Neaden on
  • Options
    Pretty much that exactly, Neaden. And they played with that in Angel, with Cordy being very pro-cell phone.

• Options
    Neaden wrote:
    Well I think it is fine in Angel because it makes sense for him. Buffy was a teenage girl so would be much more cell phone friendly.

Not in the 90s. In the 90s cell phones were for grown ups.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    and rich kids.

• Options
    Indeed.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Startacs all up in here

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Actually cellphones kinda screw up a lot of shows from what I've seen, and the writers make some weird plot device to get rid of them.

"We need to get hold of the Doctor!" "We can't! The Purple Maroon is emitting an anticellphone wave which discombobulates the signal!" "Damn him!"

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Magell wrote:
    Neaden wrote:

It's such a great plot device, but well built into the character of somebody who has lived for so long without them. I also like the time he did take it and it just died on him, or the service would be shitty.

I always loved when they played off his age. Cause really, he's a fucking old guy.

Like at the end of S2 where they are in the fancy restaurant and he's bitching about how expensive everything is nowadays ("in my day, you could....!"). Or when he's super excited about old movies or the like.

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Beer Bad is such a horribly out of place episode. Everyone was asleep at the wheel for that one.

adytum on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    adytum wrote:
    Beer Bad is such a horribly out of place episode. Everyone was asleep drunk at the wheel for that one.

• Options
    adytum wrote:
    Beer Bad is such a horribly out of place episode. Everyone was asleep at the wheel for that one.

That is the only episode that I flat out hated. There are some I don't care for, others that could have been better, but that one I just hate.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Syphyre wrote:
    Actually cellphones kinda screw up a lot of shows from what I've seen, and the writers make some weird plot device to get rid of them.

"We need to get hold of the Doctor!" "We can't! The Purple Maroon is emitting an anticellphone wave which discombobulates the signal!" "Damn him!"

I'm far more annoyed when cell phones are used as magical technology that solves all problems.

"Hey, I'm sending you a file to your cell. Go ahead and decrypt it and run a search comparing it to all similar files ever sent by anyone over the last five years and then use your cell to hack into the DMV database and see if you can find any matching faces and then tell me where the bad guy is using your GPS technology. Let me know when you're-"

"Already done, here you go."

It's a cell phone, people, not a Cray built by wizards.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Syphyre wrote:

I'm far more annoyed when cell phones are used as magical technology that solves all problems.

"Hey, I'm sending you a file to your cell. Go ahead and decrypt it and run a search comparing it to all similar files ever sent by anyone over the last five years and then use your cell to hack into the DMV database and see if you can find any matching faces and then tell me where the bad guy is using your GPS technology. Let me know when you're-"

"Already done, here you go."

It's a cell phone, people, not a Cray built by wizards.

So all these TV shows really are low fantasy, since a wizard did it.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote:
    adytum wrote:

That is the only episode that I flat out hated. There are some I don't care for, others that could have been better, but that one I just hate.

I always thought everyone hated "Super Star".

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Mim wrote:
    Capt Howdy wrote:
    adytum wrote:

I always thought everyone hated "Super Star".

Remind me which one that is.

Wait, people hated that one? I thought it was fun. Not excellent, but fun.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I liked Superstar, the intro alone was gold.

• Options
    Superstar was a funny episode. I watched it for the first time on DVD with my wife (who has watched the DVDs many times.) and I turned to her and said "...did I miss something?" Good fun times.

Beer bad was the one with the neanderthals wasn't it? It wasn't horrible, just stupid.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Wait, who hates "Superstar"? I've never heard of it being a widely hated episode, unlike "Beer Bad".

Though "Beer Bad" does have one bit at the end that I do really like in an otherwise weak episode:

Xander: And was there a lesson in all this, huh? What did we learn about beer?
    Buffy: Foamy!
    Xander: Good. Just as long as that's clear.

It loses something in being typed out, but Xander's delivery makes it work. Plus, it pretty much makes fun of the "Very Special Episode"-ness of the rest of the show.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Beer Bad was terrible.

It was the only episode of anything Whedon where after I watched it I thought, "God, that was just awful."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Beer Bad, iirc, was their attempt to jump on the wagon of "If you do an episode of your show that serves as a PSA, the federal gov't will give you $$$"

And the episode did such a horrible job of it, they didn't get any money for it.

This thin layer of irony makes the episode tolerable, for me. Still the worst thing I've ever seen Whedon do.

Tox on