As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bombing in [Oslo]

• Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote:
    ronya wrote:
    Toldo wrote:
    Oh my god. NRK is showing footage of teenagers floating dead around Utoya.

what the hell

a lot of people, or the four/five numbers we've been hearing

Reporter quoted as saying 25-30 dead. Said it "was an execution style killing".

This is all from Twitter, though, not sure how accurate that is. But it is being reported and not RT from multiple accounts.

NRK writes that the man impersonating the police officer called people over and "executed" them. A bomb is one thing, but stuff like this...

• Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    hearing things like how none of the buildings had bomb protection on them makes me so angry. Norway was probably one of the few countries left that wasnt a paranoid mess of counterterrorist legislation. Now what will happen? goddamnit :(

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    That's just awful.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote:
    Is the Norwegian Labor party the nationalist one? Or do they oppose the nationalists?

If this was really targeting the party, that could give those of us with no familiarity with Norwegian politics a better idea of what's going on.
    Labour is the country's biggest party and pretty centrist. This might be of interest to you

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    Actually, both those sources don't update that often. =/

The Lede is what you want to look for on the New York Times for updates.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/22/video-of-oslo-explosion-aftermath/

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    gluecifer wrote:
    Dagbladet (large Norwegian newspaper, www.db.no) reports that a large number of people has been found dead at Utøya. No details so far.

The current main page picture on that site shows several blurred out things on a rocky shoreline that I can only imagine are bodies....

Selner on
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    theres been no reports in norway about mutiple explosions, the first reports about a second explosion was wrong. the express trains to gardemoen airport has been stopped and evacuated due to crew finding something suspicious along the railway.

tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    Selner wrote:
    gluecifer wrote:
    Dagbladet (large Norwegian newspaper, www.db.no) reports that a large number of people has been found dead at Utøya. No details so far.

The current main page picture on that site shows several blurred out things on a rocky shoreline that I can only imagine are bodies....

Spoilered for NSFW/NSFL:
    978x.jpg

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    That's sickening.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    HenryVape wrote:
    theres been no reports in norway about mutiple explosions, the first reports about a second explosion was wrong. the express trains to gardemoen airport has been stopped and evacuated due to crew finding something suspicious along the railway.

Yeah, both the NYTimes and the Guardian have redacted their statements about two explosions. Turns out it was based on a video that people are claiming is fake.

• Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Wow. Is it wrong that one of my thoughts today was "I hope the truthers are paying attention to the chaos and wrong information that comes out from things like this in the early hours"?

Cuz seriously, these events do not lend themselves to accurate news reports in the first few hours.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    @saint2e

I'm confused. What are you trying to relate this to?

• Options
    @ObiFett

Sorry, one of the things that I hear often about 9/11 being an inside job is that "there were eyewitnesses who heard explosions!" and "there was an eyewitness interviewed right afterwards who didn't see a plane!"

My point being that it seems there really is no reliable information until the smoke settles.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Ah. That is a good point and I agree.

• Options
    I saw some of the first reports and images and it seemed like no one had any idea how big it was. I thought it was just one building to begin with.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's frustrating to realize that we'll be dealing with stuff like this for the forseeable future of humankind.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote:
    It's frustrating to realize that we'll be dealing with stuff like this for the forseeable future of humankind.

Even if we stamp out the current breeding ground for things like this, it'll just get replaced by different ideologies and beliefs.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Man, This is hitting me hard. I don't really have words for it. I am Norwegian and I never expected something like this.

Weirdly its the Utøya attack that is affecting me most. The bomb was like "okay, no security is 100%", but with the Utøya attack comming right after... It was so brutal and so senseless. Who the fuck wakes up in the morning and decides "I will shoot teenagers and college students for the glorious cause"? Him maybe being Norwegian(or nordic looking) makes it even more.....

Fuck. At least my sister in Oslo is safe.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    ATTENTION ANNYONE FROM THE OSLO AREA!. Blodbanken just posted up a notice about needing blood donors with the bloodtype o-
    http://www.oslo-universitetssykehus.no/aktuelt/nyheter/Sider/trenger-blodgivere-blodtype-0-.aspx

tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just saw that. Man..... just when you think things can't get more fucked up.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    BBC has a reporter who has contact (through his neice) with a girl who was on the island. She shut herself in the bathroom and listened to the shooting going on outside.

no words.

• Options
    At least 10 people killed at Utoya--confirmed by NRK.

• Options
    Also there seems to be reports from survivors that there were multiple shooters, according to NRK.no. Again, that's the only place I've seen that tidbit, so grain of salt applies.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    Dagbladet.no are saying it might have been just the one guy behind everything. Including the bomb.

• Options
    Also reporting that they know who he is. He is not a cop,he was supposedly observed in the area the bomb detonated before it went off.

tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    ...is it just me, or does this not sound like al-queda?

Attacking government buildings... on a holiday? Attacking a political gathering? Doing so personally, and then allowing oneself to be captured? Do we know anything about this gunman, is he brown or muslim?

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    gluecifergluecifer Registered User regular
    I'm glad they managed to take the guy alive, if it really is just one guy responsible for it all. Hope we might get some answers in the next days/weeks.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    [Tycho?] wrote:

Attacking government buildings... on a holiday? Attacking a political gathering? Doing so personally, and then allowing oneself to be captured? Do we know anything about this gunman, is he brown or muslim?
    We know he is Nordic looking. White, blonde, and tall.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote:
    [Tycho?] wrote:

Has that been confirmed?

• Options
    What threw me off was that immediately all the terrorist organizations came out and were like "ha, you deserved it, there's more to come so stay tuned!"
    It is sounding more like it's a lone McVeigh kind of guy with strange political motivations instead of a whole organization. I mean, I would like to believe that AQ and the like wouldn't target children first.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    @TubularLuggage
    Yep. Multiple sources, multiple news stations.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote:
    [Tycho?] wrote:

Has that been confirmed?

Let's wait 'til NewsCorp gets into some people's phones, we'll know for sure.

• Options
    the number of dead at utøya seems to stop at around 10 people.

tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote:
    @TubularLuggage
    Yep. Multiple sources, multiple news stations.

Also the foreign minister, I believe.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    Not sure what this is, but NSFW/L.
    11-a0b28f94-1a998e35.jpeg

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    We don't know if that's the killer or just a cop, though it looks like the guy in the water is helping collect the bodies in a net.

815165 on
  • Options
    RalzarRalzar Registered User new member
    Hi. I'm usually just a lurker on this forum, but since I live in the center of Oslo I thought I'd chime in.

An eyewitness has just stated that he saw a tall, blond cop enter the building, then leave it and drive off in an old van. Two minutes later the bomb went off.

So it might actually be just one guy who set off the bomb, then drove over to Utoya.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    The Guardian is saying that it's just a blue jumper.
    ...the gunman was NOT wearing a police uniform, rather a blue jumper which had a Norwegian police badge or sign on it. He also confirmed that the suspect had never worked for the police.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    This is not a good day. I know several people from Norway and have been there many times - it's very nice people.

I hope this a lone crazy person and not the start of some terror wave.

I also hope this will not mean Norway is gonna start acting differently in the world. They are doing things right.

Norway holds a huge pension fund made from their oil profit and they are using it very responsibly with strong requirements about ethics to where the money is invested (The fund is something like $525 billion and holds aprox. 1% of the worlds equity).

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    This is horrible. My thought go out to norway, and I hope whoever is behind it will be held severly accountable.

Just heard from a friend in Oslo that he is fine as well, which is a relief.