As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bombing in [Oslo]

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Sad twist of events but also an example on how Norway spends their money.

Earlier today the Norwegian foreign minister visited the camp at Utøya and told the Norwegian Church Aid people that they would get money from the state to help the people starving in Somalia. That money made it NKR 263 million ($48.5 million) from the Norwegian state to help the people on Africa's Horn. There are people in Somalia linked to Al Quida that claim there is no starvation and it's the west running a scam to get influence.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    Whoa this is crazy...are the events linked, or is this the shittiest of coincidences?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Whoa this is crazy...are the events linked, or is this the shittiest of coincidences?

Seems likely it is the same person involved in both incidents.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Numi wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Seems likely it is the same person involved in both incidents.

A tall blonde guy was spotted in both places. I assume that tall blondes are as rare in Norway as they are around here.

• Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    the current consensus seems to be that its all the action of one or more people that has acted alone.

tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    RalzarRalzar Registered User new member
    edited July 2011
    Video footage from a guy working at a shop near the bombing. He got to the scene with a camera just after it went off.

http://www.dagbladet.no/2011/07/22/nyheter/innenriks/terroraksjon/oslo/bombe/17419976/

(there's one injured person in the movie, which is blurred out)

Ralzar on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Press conference confirmed 7 dead, 10 injured in the bombing, and "several" dead and injured at Utoya.

• Options
    gluecifergluecifer Registered User regular
    It was just confirmed that the person arrested at Utøya is a Norwegian citizen.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Confirmed that he's a Norwegian citizen and previously known to the police; has a hate boner against the Social Democrat party.

• Options
    Meanwhile on this side of the border, assclown Sweden Democrat has been all "wonder who might be behind the explosions, wink wink nudge nudge" on Twitter.

I certainly hope he's called out on his bullshit. Heck, the bomber is practically his political ally.

• Options
    Echo wrote:
    Confirmed that he's a Norwegian citizen and previously known to the police; has a hate boner against the Social Democrat party.

Who are they, again?

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://www.tv2.no/nyheter/innenriks/falsk-politimann-sett-paa-begge-aastedene-3544528.html
    "False policeman seen at both sites"

snippet:
    "Police suspects that this isn't linked to international terrorism, being a domestic variant targeted against current political institutions. Police know of circles linked to the supect." (my shitty translation)
    Edit: Beaten like a dead horse, but np

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Bagginses wrote:
    A tall blonde guy was spotted in both places. I assume that tall blondes are as rare in Norway as they are around here.

Not sure where you are but unless you're in Iceland or the Baltic region then tall blondes are more common than where you are.

At least 60-70% of Norwegians have fair hair (as in light brown to very blond) and tall is relative so that will have to be some inches past 6 feet (the average male height in Norway is aprox. 6 feet).

Looking like a Norwegian could perhaps be a wig and make-up but very unlikely and if we think of a possible middle eastern decent terrorist the height makes that unlikely as well.

BlindZenDriver on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The number of bodies in the pictures indicate that there are more than 10 victims in the camp.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Bagginses wrote:
    Echo wrote:

Who are they, again?

The biggest party in Norway. Nothing radical in any way - maybe sort of the most left of what's called Democrats in the US (huge simplification).

• Options
    Bagginses wrote:

Not sure where you are but unless you're in Iceland or the Baltic region then tall blondes are more common than where you are.

At least 60-70% of Norwegians have fair hair (as in light brown to very blond) and tall is relative so that will have to be some inches past 6 feet (the average male height in Norway is aprox. 6 feet).

Looking like a Norwegian could perhaps be a wig and make-up but very unlikely and if we thing of a possible middle eastern decent terrorist the height makes that unlikely as well.

Yeah, I was being a smartass. I'm actually in Massachusetts' main Jewish enclave, so I saw more blondes in Mtu Wa Mbu than I do back home.

• Options
    Bagginses wrote:
    Echo wrote:

Who are they, again?

The biggest party in Norway. Nothing radical in any way - maybe sort of the most left of what's called Democrats in the US (huge simplification).

How do they compare to Labour (that's the party that was attacked, correct?)?

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Bagginses wrote:
    Echo wrote:

Who are they, again?

Yes, the big "left" parties in scandinavia have been sprinting for the centre something fierce, in the last 15-20 years.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Norwegian police apparently found a car on Utöya with an undetonated bomb.

And shit, prime minister Stoltenberg's speech will be a classic.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:

Looking like a Norwegian could perhaps be a wig and make-up but very unlikely and if we thing of a possible middle eastern decent terrorist the height makes that unlikely as well.
    I think he was just (somewhat snarkily) pointing out that "tall blond man" isn't very descriptive in Norway.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    gluecifergluecifer Registered User regular
    Just for clarification, the party which youth camp was attacked is the Norwegian labour party (Arbeiderpartiet), which is a sosial democratic party.

• Options
    Echo wrote:
    And shit, prime minister Stoltenberg's speech will be a classic.

He did a good job. Almost made me cry when he talked about what the surviving young people have been through on the island. It's so very wrong.

Also the accounts from relatives that have talked to the kids are heartbreaking. There is a lot of people from that island that are gonna need help getting past this. Imagine being in a summer camp with 600+ young people and then having it turn into something from a horror movie.

• Options
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Sweden Democrat bunker now, what with all their "raaah Islamist terrorists are the only ones who blow shit up" language.

• Options
    Small update:
    No car bomb found on Utöya (it's a small island without any cars), also the police won't confirm finding any bombs.
    The monster caught by the police is talking. He is 32 years old and has so far not given a motive.
    Police expect to find more people dead on the island (It's dark in Norway now).

• Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Small update:
    No car bomb found on Utöya (it's a small island without any cars), also the police won't confirm finding any bombs.
    The monster caught by the police is talking. He is 32 years old and has so far not given a motive.
    Police expect to find more people dead on the island (It's dark in Norway now).

Actually, they did find undetonated explosives. They wouldn't confirm if they were found in a car, however. (VG)

• Options
    Just been an interview with head of the Oslo police. Number of dead at utøya will probably rise. perpetrator was a 32 year old man,supposedly willing to answer questions the police asks him.. They found undetonated explosives at the island.

tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Echo wrote:
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Sweden Democrat bunker now, what with all their "raaah Islamist terrorists are the only ones who blow shit up" language.

I'm hoping the right wing in all of the Nordic countries will lose backup on account of this - regretfully they seem to be experts at getting votes from all those that are scared be it foreigners, new technology... anything unknown really. I'm sure the right will find ways to blame anyone but them self.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:

I'm hoping the right wing in all of the Nordic countries will lose backup on account of this - regretfully they seem to be experts at getting votes from all those that are scared be it foreigners, new technology... anything unknown really. I'm sure the right will find ways to blame anyone but them self.

I think it's a bit callous to focus on potential political gains and losses right now.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:

The pattern in the US has been that any time a right winger engages in political violence for it to be completely disassociated with right wing politics, with the media completely unwilling to make the connection and everyone on the right lashing out and claiming pointing out the links is a character flaw. So I wouldn't get my hopes up.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    Oslo before/after bomb attack
    z79u1.jpg

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:

So confirmed not islamic extremism?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    rantlarrantlar Registered User regular
    I just saw the police press conference and they are interrogating the guy right now. They dont know the motive yet. This has been a crazy fucking day. I work at a hospital and I found out about the bombing when I arrived there. Im just so proud of how collected the people at work were when this was happening. A lot of people were called in and most just showed up at work because they saw the news. I was calm at work as well and now that im home im kinda starting to lose that control that I had at work. Shit i haven't cried in years, this is just unreal.

Come and get it, you alien sack of shit.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    This thread has been exemplary in its care not to accuse or point fingers at large groups or try to smear political parties and religions without any facts to hand.

Sadly, it seems to be turning toward just that sort of thing. How about we not do that, at least not in this thread.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ^^^^
    PantsB wrote:
    Echo wrote:

The pattern in the US has been that any time a right winger engages in political violence for it to be completely disassociated with right wing politics, with the media completely unwilling to make the connection and everyone on the right lashing out and claiming pointing out the links is a character flaw. So I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Hehehehe

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    So confirmed not islamic extremism?

I think it's safe to say this, yes.

Sounds far more like a radical right-winger acting on his own; some neo-fascist trying pull off a Beer Hall Putsch.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Echo wrote:
    The Flashback forums.

• Options
    Panda4You wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    The Flashback forums.

I'd rather get eye herpes.

• Options
    possible connection?http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/article231455.ece
    23 year old with ties to neo nazi groups get caught with two pistols a kilo of explosives and two police uniforms in 2001.

tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Can someone more informed than I give me a run down on Norwegian political parties?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    dagbladet reporting that armed police wearing protective gear just stormed an apartment in Oslo that the man suposedly lived in.

tf2_sig.png