Options

[Airbender] The legend of Korra: I am the solution.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Based on Bumi's goofy face, I am going to imagine that he is a master of drunken kung fu until it is stated otherwise.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Plus it fits into the main theme of series of benders vs. non-benders. I doubt they have a fire bender at every furnace in the city, so if Bumi lives up to his namesake he might have come up with some of the modern technologies. And now to begin speculation that he's Amon.

For only seeing from the neck up I do like the character design for Bumi and Kya.

Check back a few pages for that!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Awww...

I'd be more disappointed if I weren't so consistently late about any and all of my topics of interest.

Karoz on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    jimbo034 wrote: »
    I hope we get a hardboiled detective episode with a Bloodbending serial killer.

What exactly is the fascination with bloodbending ?

One very disturbed and mentally exhausted individual invented it in desperation and she's long dead. the only other person to use it will absolutely never do so again.

I mean it's not a cool technique.It definitely wasn't presented as anything but a brutal attack meant to kill why do people latch on to it?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

One very disturbed and mentally exhausted individual invented it in desperation and she's long dead. the only other person to use it will absolutely never do so again.

I mean it's not a cool technique.It definitely wasn't presented as anything but a brutal attack meant to kill why do people latch on to it?

Dragon Age fans, maybe?

Why do people get such a hard-on for metalbending, or lightning, or redirection of lightning? Because it demonstrates a level of mastery of one's craft that is frankly badass. Why do people like the Avatar state, despite the fact that it turns a character into a person of mass destruction? Because it means that shit is about to go down.

You get a bloodbender and suddenly you're playing for keeps. Drama is greatly reduced when you know everyone makes it out alive. It's why things escalate as a series goes on: the danger has to be believable. "Oh, another mugger/fresh vampire/minor demon/rogue earthbender? Boring. Our Hero has taken them down time and again." Granted, in a really good series with lots of physical conflict, power levels are nonsense and anyone can beat anyone on any given day. Legend of Korra is already doing that somewhat. We'll see if it keeps up.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Because in a serious entirely about conflict, that began with the genocidal purge of an entire group of people, Blood Bending is the first application of bending "taken to a new level" if you will, besides the Firenation's lightning benders. Lightning is exclusively used to kill/maim in the show. Obviously with Earthbenders, you can crush/burry someone, but it's never shown outside of Jet. In fact, I find it interesting the Fire Nation was able to make any progress at all over the Earth Kingdom, since they could literally just be swallowed by the ground at any time. Airbenders could straight up asphyxiate their opponents, and it looks like they took more than a few Firebenders with them when they went.

This is the water tribes first real answer to that level on a personal fight. And to be fair, it's a pretty damn effective one, and very morally ambiguous. At what point is it wrong to bloodbend? If the enemy has you at sword/gunpoint? If someone else is threatened? Is it ever right to forcibly control someone else's body, even to help innocents? Unlike other bending techniques, it's a nonlethal one that's fairly morally grey, and that's frankly, very interesting.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Because people want their cartoons to be gritty and dark.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »

And it's also a legitimate threat to the Avatar, even in the Avatar State; I don't think even king Bumi would have been able to bend under the control of a bloodbender.
    Also, those swamp guys that had the vine monster? That was essentially bloodbending, only on plants instead of people. If the guy who came up with the vine trick ever taught it to someone with the right kind of imagination and/or curiosity then the technique cold easily reemerge that way.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    If my cartoon is gritty and dark, I can feel less ashamed of watching said cartoon!

See also: every piece of Pinkie Pie fanfiction, fan art, or fan movie ever.

See also also: yandere.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I dunno about you, but I thought bloodbending was cool. It was cool within the context of that episode, anyway. I wouldn't hope for it to be widely used or anything, but a continuation of the story would have high potential.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Since blood bending popped up and we found out how old some of the benders in the show actually managed to be I've always theorized some of the more notable benders have been able to bend certain elements within themselves to ensure they lived so long as they did.

• Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The family tree and pro-bending rules:

SQUUUUEEEEEEEEE

• Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Given that I thought I was going to have to wait until 2013 for this, the middle of April seems a really long way away.

EDIT: The episodes released on KorraNation were 720p - will it all air in such glorious HD?

area on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    If my cartoon is gritty and dark, I can feel less ashamed of watching said cartoon!

pinkie_pie_cosplay_by_tenori_tiger-d3krnal.jpg

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    gavindel wrote: »

pinkie_pie_cosplay_by_tenori_tiger-d3krnal.jpg

Hah, that's an excellent cosplay.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I assume that is some sort of yandere? No idea who though.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    jbIuf.jpg
    :winky:

• Options
    I assume that is some sort of yandere? No idea who though.

Pinkie Pie.

• Options
    Officer 1BDIOfficer 1BDI Registered User regular
    So, the first two episodes are bundled and available on iTunes. In HD. For free.

Also, new clip on Tumblr from what I assume is the 3rd episode.
    I lost it when Korra used earthbending to make the girls disappear.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So, the first two episodes are bundled and available on iTunes. In HD. For free.

Thank you!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Thank you!

Just when you think they can't give any more, it's more more more!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I love basically everything about the people running this show.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    POLAR DOG BEAR CREEPS ME OUT

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Toff's kid has moxie

• Options
    POLAR DOG BEAR CREEPS ME OUT

Thankfully it wasn't in there long and Polar bear dog is awesome huh?

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    The hind legs of the Polar Bear Dog look really creepy to be honest.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    MrDapper wrote: »

And it's also a legitimate threat to the Avatar, even in the Avatar State; I don't think even king Bumi would have been able to bend under the control of a bloodbender.
    Also, those swamp guys that had the vine monster? That was essentially bloodbending, only on plants instead of people. If the guy who came up with the vine trick ever taught it to someone with the right kind of imagination and/or curiosity then the technique cold easily reemerge that way.

Um where are you getting that idea from? Aang couldn't enter Avatar state there's no evidence to support it.

Swamp bending is not similar to Bloodbending at all. Moving a vine that has no capability to move under it's own power and is full of water is definitely not on the same level as moving person's blood in their veins with so much fine control that their arteries don't burst and you move them like a puppet.

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Wolf hind legs, bear forelegs. I feel like it works.

• Options

Yeah she's built for running. Bears can book it but not like a wolf or a dog. Strong forelegs to propel it forward and hind legs to absorb shock seems fine to me for a predator. I prefer the more alien fusions like PBD and Momo. They look more like a natural evolution than Say the platypus bear

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

The proportions just look kind of off. SO much mass for such thin limbs to propel, though of course we often underestimate the strength of bone and sinew.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I don't care if it looks creepy. I still want a polar bear dog.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Man I didn't even notice the first time but watching it again on Itunes and yeah, the proportions are really weird.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I noticed the first episode is free on PSN right now. I guess I should watch it...I didn't watch the original show, but I know enough to get by.

Are the other episodes going to show up on the internet somewhere? It sounds like it from some of the discussion on this page, but I didn't see any links in the OP. I guess I can poke at iTunes, can you just watch things through that on your computer? I have no iDevices, the program is only here for someone else's mp3 player.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I noticed the first episode is free on PSN right now. I guess I should watch it...I didn't watch the original show, but I know enough to get by.

Are the other episodes going to show up on the internet somewhere? It sounds like it from some of the discussion on this page, but I didn't see any links in the OP. I guess I can poke at iTunes, can you just watch things through that on your computer? I have no iDevices, the program is only here for someone else's mp3 player.

If you just own itunes, you can get episodes 1 and 2 for free (at least you could as of last night).

The funny thing is, I'm now more likely to purchase the rest of the episodes, than if they hadn't offered the first two for free, since I'm usually just content to see something once and remember it enough that multiple viewings don't do anything for me.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Ahhh..well it only lists one episode. But, it's 'blank/blank' and is 45 minutes long. So, I guess both episodes are just bundled together.

This is going to take a while with my crappy internet...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Ahhh..well it only lists one episode. But, it's 'blank/blank' and is 45 minutes long. So, I guess both episodes are just bundled together.

This is going to take a while with my crappy internet...

Same way it was on Korranation.com.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    You have the option to purchase the entire season on iTunes right now, so that they automatically download when a new episode comes out. In my experience though, the downloads usually come later than the show airs on the teevees, so yeah.

• Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, I live in Canada, so they won't sell to me.

I'd definitely buy the season if it were available.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    So any hopes on what the anti-bending league will do or be like? I'm hoping for something with a high level of credibility on all sides. There should be legitimate complaints of the progressiveness being pushed by an undemocratic bending establishment similar to Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and a leader of the movement capable of rivaling Tenzin as an intellectual.
    For the physical threat, I kind of hope there's a focus on one person capable of totally dominating her, hopefully contrasting Korra's high power but lack of thinking with a high degree of tactical intelligence (which would be required to take down benders, anyway). My main idea for first encounter would be for a young woman armed with non-bendable gear (laminated wood or turtle shield or targe with leather coating, rungu and shillelagh or knobkierrie, linothorax armor, and a boar's tusk helmet) to come up to Korra, tell her that she has to capture her for the anti-bending league, and offer to shake hands before the fight. When Korra takes the offered hand, the anti-bender clamps down with her dominant hand and knocks Korra out with her shield hand and shield. Cut to one second later, when Korra wakes up to find the anti-bender tying her hands behind her and mocking her for falling for such a dumb trick and noting that it had only very lately decided that leaving Korra alive would be better for PR. Cut to Korra hanging by her feet above a public square.

Of course, I expect what actually happens to be even better in every way.

I'm also looking forward to finding out more about the sand benders.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Aurich wrote: »
    You have the option to purchase the entire season on iTunes right now, so that they automatically download when a new episode comes out. In my experience though, the downloads usually come later than the show airs on the teevees, so yeah.

I'm seriously considering doing this.

I wish Nick had a 'current season' agreement with Netflix or Hulu+ kinda like what The Hub just started with Netflix. It'd certainly make things like this easier and cheaper.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
This discussion has been closed.