Options

The New Comic Thread for Monday, August 1, 2011

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yamcha was so cool but he got so shit on

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Yamcha, Krillin, and Tien were all basically useless by the Cell saga. Not that they were much help before that.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    It just comes down to the fact that the market itself has drastically changed, and that is reflected all across the industry. Lower barrier to entry with f2p games popping up everywhere. Billions spent on sub-$5 games and applications each year for increasingly powerful, always connected portable consoles that are utterly indispensable for the average person. There is still a market for big-picture blockbusters, but I don't see a long-term future for handheld consoles that are exclusively gaming systems. Especially if they expect people to pay $40 per game at a store when they can get "good enough" experiences for $0.99 delivered to their pocket.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    Feriluce wrote:
    SabreMau wrote:
    Is there a cake-thievery phone game?

Look, I just found that cake, ok?

The Associated Press' style guide notes that white people "find" cake while black people "loot" it.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I just have no inclination to buy a nintendo handheld

The GBA was the last thing I really felt was a worthwhile purchase

I feel heretical since the game boy pocket was basically glued to my hand during my childhood

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Feriluce wrote:
    SabreMau wrote:
    Is there a cake-thievery phone game?

Look, I just found that cake, ok?

The Associated Press' style guide notes that white people "find" cake while black people "loot" it.

You can't just find cake. Cake isn't naturally occurring.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It just comes down to the fact that the market itself has drastically changed, and that is reflected all across the industry. Lower barrier to entry with f2p games popping up everywhere. Billions spent on sub-$5 games and applications each year for increasingly powerful, always connected portable consoles that are utterly indispensable for the average person. There is still a market for big-picture blockbusters, but I don't see a long-term future for handheld consoles that are exclusively gaming systems. Especially if they expect people to pay $40 per game at a store when they can get "good enough" experiences for $0.99 delivered to their pocket.

I agree with this.

And then add on that the 3DS new features were ones that people really don't care about.

Maybe kids love 3D. I don't know. Lets ask Hunter, he has kids, maybe ask Geek.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Man I agree with this to an extent, but really I just don't give shit about 3d.

Do you know why people see 3D movies? Because the 2D version isn't available.

Do you know what is important to me in portable gaming? Portability! Small sizes! Long battery life! Being able to use it for different things!

That's why I like my iPhone, I don't want to carry something else when my phone does everything well, with the exception of long arse games.

Exactly. I do not give any shits about 3D.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Blake T wrote:

I agree with this.

And then add on that the 3DS new features were ones that people really don't care about.

Maybe kids love 3D. I don't know. Lets ask Hunter, he has kids, maybe ask Geek.

My son only plays a DSi because I happen to have one. If I didn't, he wouldn't care.

I personally play mobile games only on my phone, because I have my phone with me 24/7. If I'm in line or have to go wait in a doctor's office, I'm not going to remember to pack my DSi or whatever. Also I wouldn't do that, because I'm already carrying a phone anyway which I need for other things.

As for the games themselves, for what I use it for and when, a puzzle game or word game is more than enough to occupy me. I don't need an epic RPG, and honestly I'd rather have it for when I'm at home. When I'm at home, I'd like to play it on the Xbox 360, Wii, or PC anyway.

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote:
    Well..that wasn't funny.

i'd like to see you do better

make me laugh

go on, do it

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    There was an interesting article in Wired a while ago that touched on this sort of subject, looking at how Flip video cameras were this huge industry for a very short time, offering simple digital video recording to the average consumer, but how they ultimately failed by not recognizing what their real product was. People jumped at the chance to buy an easy way to record video and have it be super portable and convenient, but they really had no incentive to get new cameras, and then along came the phone capable of doing everything they did. Sure, the Flip was higher quality and had some extra features, but the phone was always on them and it was good enough.

That's the issue with the new handhelds. People, on average, don't want the most features at a premium price. They want good enough, conveniently and affordably. That's what the iTunes app store provides and Nintendo won't.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I don't think it's fair to say they didn't recognise what their product was. It's more that the lifecycle for their product was over.

I mean the only reason why I still kinda like portable gaming is that there is still a few 2D platformers on there. I'd like to play it on my tv, big there aren't a lot of things out there anymore. (There is obviously stuff out there, but it's not the focus as it was in the early 90's)

• Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    nintendon't

VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I went to the US for a holiday with the intention of buying a 3DS, and I have not been able to bring myself to do it

every time I walk to the section with the system and the games I see that the only one I care about is a remake of a 10 year old game and then I just splurge at the app store instead

speaking of which, Tiny Wings is suuuupppeerrr fun and can anyone else tell me some good iOS games to buy

• Options
    Blake T wrote:
    I don't think it's fair to say they didn't recognise what their product was. It's more that the lifecycle for their product was over.

I mean the only reason why I still kinda like portable gaming is that there is still a few 2D platformers on there. I'd like to play it on my tv, big there aren't a lot of things out there anymore. (There is obviously stuff out there, but it's not the focus as it was in the early 90's)

I download my 2D platformer fix from XBL and just play them at home.

On my phone I usually play puzzle or word games for the 20 or so minutes a day I would need to use it to keep me from going nuts waiting for a meeting to start or whatever.

Mostly though it's I don't have space to carry a portable gaming device. The phone is multipurpose and good enough. I guess if I carried a briefcase or backpack everywhere I'd have one...maybe. Or a purse.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    You know, I can understand the talk about the 3DS not having a lot of games out right now (though I'd disagree on the sentiment that stuff isn't coming for it), but I just don't get people saying that the DS didn't have a lot of stuff. I mean, really? I personally have dozens of games for the thing, only a handful of which I found to be disappointing. Meanwhile, I have like 5 games for my ipod, only one or two of which I play with any regularity (And I gotta say; Song Summoner disappointed me in one fairly major way.)

And I don't get the idea that portable games should have to be phones, now. I'd prefer to have a game system that focuses on its games, and a phone that focuses on being a phone. And who cares if you don't like 3D? There's a slider that lets ya turn it off, you know.

• Options
    Enlong wrote:
    You know, I can understand the talk about the 3DS not having a lot of games out right now (though I'd disagree on the sentiment that stuff isn't coming for it), but I just don't get people saying that the DS didn't have a lot of stuff. I mean, really? I personally have dozens of games for the thing, only a handful of which I found to be disappointing. Meanwhile, I have like 5 games for my ipod, only one or two of which I play with any regularity (And I gotta say; Song Summoner disappointed me in one fairly major way.)

And I don't get the idea that portable games should have to be phones, now. I'd prefer to have a game system that focuses on its games, and a phone that focuses on being a phone. And who cares if you don't like 3D? There's a slider that lets ya turn it off, you know.

wait who ever said the DS didn't have stuff

the DS had fucking loads of stuff, it was my favourite system!

• Options
    Wait, sorry. I misread someone's post. He only said that he doesn't play his DS much.

...well, I'm still of the opinion that the 3DS will be worth it later on. There's still some good-looking games coming down the pipe that I know of.

• Options
    Enlong wrote:
    Wait, sorry. I misread someone's post. He only said that he doesn't play his DS much.

...well, I'm still of the opinion that the 3DS will be worth it later on. There's still some good-looking games coming down the pipe that I know of.

name two that aren't first party games

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid 3, Phoenix Wright Vs Professor Layton.

And aren't 1st party games a good thing? Recently, I've heard people getting up in arms about a lack of 1st-party stuff for the Wii.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Enlong wrote:

Yeah, but you're in the minority. Most people don't want a portable gaming system that's just a gaming system especially when it's got features they don't really care about. I mean, some people are obviously buying the 3DS. That's not the issue. It's just that those people are a pretty small segment of the market.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Enlong wrote:

Nobody cares about good looking games on handhold games.

The PSP had shithot graphics and still sold fuckall.

I often have my DS in my bag for work, but if I need to cut space for any reason it's the first to go because like hunter says, if I want to piss around on a game for 10 minutes I have my iphone.

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote:
    Dim Sum?

Dim sum tasty looking food items.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    We're moving more and more to a one-electronic world. Everyone will have their tablet with an removable blue tooth earpiece on which you take phone calls. But it won't be blue tooth, it will be something stronger so you can leave your tablet in the car (or even at home?) while you run into the grocery store for oreos while STILL talking on your phone. The earpiece will understand voice commands and have of your contacts stored.

Or perhaps your tablet has a miniature hand-held version that docks into IT for when you don't want to walk around with a bulky item. Once you're home, you dock your tablet into a work station. Your tablet will stream HD TV and movies, radio, your music collection, games, everything. It will stream it to your giant-ass TV.

One super electronic for everyone, I say.

Edit: and then we all die from the radiation from our glowing rectangles.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Blake T wrote:
    Enlong wrote:

Nobody cares about good looking games on handhold games.

The PSP had shithot graphics and still sold fuckall.

I often have my DS in my bag for work, but if I need to cut space for any reason it's the first to go because like hunter says, if I want to piss around on a game for 10 minutes I have my iphone.

...I didn't mean graphics when I said "good-looking". Perhaps I should've said "fun-looking", even though it sounds stupid. I meant stuff like Kid Icarus Uprising, which looks like it's going to be a blast to play. Or that Kingdom Hearts game that's being made. Only seen a trailer so far, but the gameplay that we've been shown looks crazy.

And personally, I only use my ipod for gaming when I don't have my DS around, for whatever reason. Probably 'cause I'm pretty much done with most of my games on ipod. Weelll, I've still got Song Summoner to finish, but as for the 1-dollar games, I'll just screw around with it for about a minute or two before getting bored (Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope) or frustrated (Angry Birds).

To sum up; on both systems, I truly feel like I got exactly my money's worth.

Enlong on
  • Options
    MrregMrreg Registered User regular
    I've found a number of good games for iOS, but I no longer enjoy repetitive arcade high score challenges. Somewhere along the line, my enjoyment of a good game came to require deep strategy and/or engaging story. For the last year, I've hardly touched my iOS games, instead reading on the phone whenever I find myself with downtime while I'm out and about or on a break at work. By the way, there are tons of amazing and free electronic books out there. The Baen Free Library, for example, is a good chunk of free scifi. In fact, all but one novel from Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series is available for free and I could probably just read that over and over again if no other good ebooks existed (but plenty do).

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    And in a year or two when there's a better-sized library, lots of people will be all, "I just picked up a 3DS on a whim 'cause it's so cheap."

I'll be grabbing one after the price drop, but then I don't have a smartphone because the plan rates in Canada are insanely expensive. Also, I love platformers, and the 3D really does make a difference for them. There are also plenty of families out there who aren't fully smartphone-enabled, and I bet they'll be picking up a 3DS or two this Christmas with the Mario games on it. We'll see what happens when smartphones are more ubiquitous and have a lot more storage capacity, but for now I really do think the 3DS will find a decent niche, though it probably won't sell quite as well as the DS Lite did.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote:
    Yamcha, Krillin, and Tien were all basically useless by the King Piccolo saga. Not that they were much help before that.

Sorry had to fix that. Carry on.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    steamypilesteamypile Registered User regular
    Stuff in the steamer is most likely xiao long bao

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaolongbao

The other ones...really hard to say.

• Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    It is not outside the realm of extreme possibility that some wild sugar cane and some wild wheat might fall into a small crater and be crushed by the trampling of cows, some mother cows whose babies are very messy and spill a not-insignificant amount of their mothers' milk into the crater with the crushed plant matter, after which point a passing chicken picks this spot to lay her eggs, and all of this might be immediately followed by a small brush fire.

"That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Traditional Chinese food is delicious.

• Options
    InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    Honestly, I've never bothered to think "If I were to buy 30 ipod games vs 1 Nintendo DS game (or 40 vs 1 3DS game) which one would be more satisfying"

The thing is, those one dollar ipod games are like chiclets. they cost the same, and last about the same length of time. I'll sit there and play angry birds or something like that for maybe a couple of days in very short intervals before getting bored, and by the end of it, I don't feel satisfied, because in most cases, I'm not working to some spectacular end goal (me personally, the game might have something, but I rarely care).

On the other hand, when I lay down 30 for a DS game, I know I'll be playing it for hours on end, spread across up to a month. And I know I'm working to do something. I have yet to get the satisfaction of finishing a visual novel from a simple ipod game. I think I'd feel more worn than satisfied if I played 30 of them.

PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    when do you guys have time to be sitting around with a portable gaming system where you want a deep and involved gameplay model in your game

I mean it makes sense for like, little kids on a roadtrip.

I just don't have time for that sort of stuff anymore. Only time my DS has seen any action is on a plane.

That said if you have an iPhone/iPad/Android device, go buy Battlehearts. They just had an update that added two more character classes and it is fun as heck.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote:
    when do you guys have time to be sitting around with a portable gaming system where you want a deep and involved gameplay model in your game

I mean it makes sense for like, little kids on a roadtrip.

I just don't have time for that sort of stuff anymore. Only time my DS has seen any action is on a plane.

That said if you have an iPhone/iPad/Android device, go buy Battlehearts. They just had an update that added two more character classes and it is fun as heck.

I thought this too, but now I have a subway commute where I can just sit and play (and look silly, I'm sure).

• Options
    CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    I just treat my DSlite as any other system, the portability doesn't really factor in. Mostly because you can't play it outside except under perfect conditions. It's uncomfortable to play at night and during the day you can't even tell if it's on or off because of the dreaded sun. And even if you could play it that's just asking for bears to sneak up on you.

Indoors you're usually doing something. Useful while at the doctors office and that's about it. Otherwise I use it while laying around the house.

• Options
    Hmm. Yeah, maybe if I had a passive commute...

As it stands I have both a PSP 1st Gen and a DSLite that are collecting dust.

I should play Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past again.

Love that game so much.

• Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    I am actually surprised at how much I already love the shit out of my 3DS, when the "blockbuster" titles haven't even dropped yet

• Options
    InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    yeah, commuting by train does give a lot of time. And the thing is, I've realized that "portable" game systems don't inherently mean they must be played on the go. There are connotations to portable devices that I think can be done away with. Not all games have to be space fillers. Look at the lineup for the PSVita. Those games are home console caliber games, not ones you play while enjoying coffe at a café or waiting in line.

PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • Options
    Oh

and back in the day my portable systems got all kinds of toilet action

man now I want to play Patapon

This discussion has been closed.