As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DND 4E] Age of Ascension OOC

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Just a heads up, if you want to tag someone and their name has spaces in it, you have to put quotations around their name.

So @The Muffin Man letting you know it's your turn. Then again the constant breaking down on the forums hasn't helped I imagine.

• Options
    lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    Ya I'm assuming it's the forum issues that have been a problem, and I've already sent him a pm as well.

• Options
    Awesome :D I am extremely looking forward to putting down this Goblin and Drake.

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Sorry guys.

Must have...missed it emot-fuckyou.gif

Also, I'm using Mysterious Castle. Every roll I've made ever on Orokos is always on the low end. I never clearly hit, I always "barely" hit.
    I am not exaggerating in the slightest, either. I've gotten like, 2 20s in my entire existence, but cannot count the number of complete whiffs, 'just missed's, and 'just hit's I've gotten on Orokos. The program as a whole seems to throw out rolls on the low side.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Posted, I think? Jesus, this forums supposed to be quicker and more stable and it only took it like 2 months to go right back to shit.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    errr...Didnt the beastmaster die 2 posts up already?

Maybe you were going after his pet instead?

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Yeah @The Muffin Man the beastmaster is dead, only the Drake and Warrior are left standing

And if you switch targets to the Drake then it's down to 5 HP because of temporary hit points bah so close

Gatsby on
  • Options
    Yeah, I could barely get my fucking thing to post because as it is the goddamn forum decides it hates me.

Pretend it says "Drake" all over because I'll be goddamn if I'm waiting 45 minutes to edit.

• Options
    Understandable, the forums have been acting up for everyone so much lately.

• Options
    MMAgChMMAgCh remember tomorrow. Registered User regular
    It's very considerate of you to ensure the beastmaster is extra dead, Muffin, but Brinna already offed him on her turn. :oops:

Also WTB Second Wind as a minor action without being a dwarf. :P

• Options
    I'll try and edit it now. Last time it gave me errors forever.

Fake Edit: There. Bam. Done.

• Options
    Just bumping this in case we get pushed back to the dreaded nexus of the third page

Also letting @lodwilk know in case they've been having trouble with the awful state the forums have been in.

• Options
    srboyceboatsrboyceboat Registered User regular
    It's been really rough. I wonder what causes that. I figure it must be the immense traffic - I've never seen these issues on other boards. I mean, I don't spend a lot of time at other boards, but this seems like an exceptional amount of difficulty. I'm sure it's driving their server gurus nuts.

Picture is Dave Dorman's (http://www.davedorman.com/)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Apparently there is no "delete" option for when you double post. One thing at a time, right? Working forums first. Delete option second. ;)

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    Ok guys so my laptop got fried and won't work anymore, and fixing it is a priority to me since it has all my school and work stuff.

This does mean that I don't have access to any of my mapping tools or dnd info. Also my phone is unable to open spoilers to see you're actions/rolls.

So instead of you guys waiting for me, feel free to end the combat and rp whatever you want. Hell you can rp arriving in town and creating some flavor for it if you so wish.

Since I do feel bad for making this lag here is a bonus task: if you choose to, write up an rp of either how this combat encounter ended, or write up another encounter that happens to you guys along the way, be it combat or social. Or create a memory for your character from their past.

This is entirely optional, but for each person who writes one, they get a copper drama card. If more than one person writes one, we'll have a party vote for whichever is the coolest/most interesting. The winner of that gets a silver card.

• Options
    Ok guys so my laptop got fried and won't work anymore, and fixing it is a priority to me since it has all my school and work stuff.

This does mean that I don't have access to any of my mapping tools or dnd info. Also my phone is unable to open spoilers to see you're actions/rolls.

So instead of you guys waiting for me, feel free to end the combat and rp whatever you want. Hell you can rp arriving in town and creating some flavor for it if you so wish.

Since I do feel bad for making this lag here is a bonus task: if you choose to, write up an rp of either how this combat encounter ended, or write up another encounter that happens to you guys along the way, be it combat or social. Or create a memory for your character from their past.

This is entirely optional, but for each person who writes one, they get a copper drama card. If more than one person writes one, we'll have a party vote for whichever is the coolest/most interesting. The winner of that gets a silver card.

• Options
    Ouch that sucks, really sorry to hear that :( I know how it feels, though, hope everything gets fixed soon!

Sorry for the delay in my post, it's been hectic with the forums constantly being down and also finishing up some last minute school work. Anyway, just made my post, that just leaves the Drake to deal with.

I do have an idea for what could happen after this encounter though: Once all the enemies have been beaten down and a quick sweep is conducted of our surroundings, to ensure we don't get ambushed again, we could come across villagers from the town we're supposed to be investigating. Hiding from the battle, they themselves have been prevented from leaving due to these Goblin bandits and decided to take their chance until they witnessed the battle. Further questioning would provide us more information for when we enter the town, and might even prevent us from being lied to by officials if they feel the need to save face. In return for clearing their path, we would ask them to try and seek out our Dwarven employer to pass on any more news and to relay our progress, to confirm we're worthy of being fully employed by the Guild. And hopefully he might just send backup if things get tough or even a message for us to return for a more lucrative job.

• Options
    I like it, Gatsby. I don't know what Iodwilk had planned for this town, but I thought it might be cool if they had some different way of honoring their dead that doesn't seem to be functioning. For example, the refugees we find might tell us that they have a shrine to the Raven Queen or an effigy of her or something on a nearby riverbank and float their deceased downriver rather than burying them. In the past, the statue has always been incredibly cold to the touch, even freezing rain into frost as it hits, but all of a sudden, odd mosses and the like have been growing on it.

It also might be fun to toy around with what kind of haunting we're dealing with. Poltergeist? Wights? Some more corporeal undeath? Minor elementals? There's a lot of stuff that could be causing issues like this.

• Options
    Even then, it could always just be worshippers of Kelemvor and Worshippers of the Raven Queen arguing over what way to honor their memory and getting into a huge spat over it.

• Options
    My computer should be up and running by tomorrow. But I like what you guys are talking about and feel free to create your own haunting type/ death rituals. I really like the statue thing mentioned and if I don't use it here, I will use it somewhere else.

• Options
    So are we just gonna have the townsolk pop out, or do we want to wait on tomorrow for Iodwilk to hit us up with the results of our checks that we've all decided we've completed successfully.

Oh, also, I'm totally "switching dice" to Invisible Castle. Lol. And when that betrays me, I'll come whimpering back to Orokos, assuring Orokos I didn't mean it, and talking about maybe getting started again or at least being friends. No, it won't be weird, Orokos. We don't have to make it weird.

• Options
    Ugh, I started writing up a big "this is what happened for the rest of the battle and what happens on the way to town" thing, but haven't been able to finish it, and now we've moved on, it seems. :(

Oh well, sorry for being slow- just wanted to let you know I'm here >_<

• Options
    Sorry, Skid. You can post it in here anyway and we can retcon in pieces of it.

• Options
    That requires finding the time for finishing it though! :P

The only change I was really making was having the warrior give himself up and making up some neat story and plot information on the spot... If we want to retcon that part I can insert it in in a bit, when my work isn't so stupid.

• Options
    Gah sorry guys, part of having to fix my computer was reformatting it, so I've been reinstalling everything today. You'll get an update first thing in the morning.

• Options
    Sorry for the delay guys and I appreciate your patience. srboyceboat, Gatsby, and The Muffin Man each of you will be receiving another copper drama card. El Skid feel free to post what you were writing in here and you'll get one as well.

Also I've been thinking and have decided to give all of you Expertise (All) as a free feat, hopefully that should help a little in some of the problems you've been having with missing all the time.

I do have a question for you guys though. What type of combat encounters would you guys like to see in this game. Personally I'm a big fan of having a few combat encounters but making them very tough with the chance of characters actually dying. Don't worry though if your character dies in one of my games he's not gone for good, I hate permanent character deaths.

Or would you guys prefer the standard per dmg assignment regarding combat encounters? So not every encounter will be a fight to the death.

Also Gatsby since this was the trial encounter you still have your potion of healing.

By the way any suggestions/recommendations on how I can help run this game in a smoother fashion is always appreciated.

• Options
    Oops I forgot to mention, you each gain 150 xp from that encounter.

• Options
    Yay. Townspeople. I can do asshole Cognast for a couple minutes to subjugated, enslaved migrants.

• Options
    Cognast if you want we can do good cop/bad cop. Or even better, bad cop/bad cop.

• Options
    For anyone curious, Rhogars "scent table":
    Baby Powder: The Baby whose name escapes me, we'll call him Elmer.
    Magic: Cassandra
    Leaves: Hohenvar/Rook
    Sweat: Brinna

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Eh, Cognast is a bit of a dick. So the basic idea is that people lie. That's just something they do, and they'll lie about anything for any imaginable reason. So he's not going to starve them or hurt them. He brought out his canteen to give them hydration and reassure them. But he's going to get answers to any and all important questions. I as a player, and by extension Cognast, was not under the impression that goblins are really the prisoner-taking types, so the situation smells weird to him. So first he will shear the sheep because they are conveniently subdued. And then he will cut the sheep loose and shepherd them to relative safety - possibly a little chilly and barren for their troubles, but otherwise unharmed.

That piece of diplomacy should resolve the matter. Once they answer, I think Rook can cut them loose. And, @The Muffin Man, Cognast is a bit of a hoarder of information. So it's more that he doesn't want them knowing anything more than they have to or being distracted from the fact that he wants them to talk to him. A magic dog turning into a dragonborn before their eyes - or even talking - would be plenty distracting. Once we get our answers, or whenever you want, feel free to blow Cognast's plan out of the water. You can tell him off, too, if you like. Wouldn't be the first time someone's not been amused at his presumptions.

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    Both me and Hohen are on the same page as well. While he may be aligned as Good, I can imagine him feeling quite suspicious of townsfolk who willingly leave in favour of possibly running into goblins. He may be a barbarian, but he's a barbarian who's smart enough to keep an eye out for his own hide as well as those of others he travels with. If these people can answer all of our questions in detail then Hohenvar will cut them loose himself. Appearances can be deceiving and he has no right to trust them. Yet.

• Options
    I love how the monk who can punch through plate mail is probably the most likely to be the good cop out of you guys.

Also has anyone had any trouble with getting notifications from new posts in bookmarked threads? Ever since the last reboot I haven't been getting any.

• Options
    I haven't been using notifications, so not sure.

I just check my bookmarks page every few hours, and that works great for me. :)

• Options
    I rolled diplomacy, so that was nice-ish. It was more lightening the issue that I hadn't yet untied them, but it's good cop-ish. :D

• Options
    Hard-eyed glance for the bad pun or the poor demeanor, @MMAgCh?

C'mon. Bark. Get it? He's a tree. Man. Mantree. Treefella.

I was just having a little fern.

• Options
    This is why I like charismatic PCs

Because of the puns. :D

• Options
    MMAgChMMAgCh remember tomorrow. Registered User regular
    Definitely his behaviour. I like to think that puns in general are just too subtle and glib for her. :P

• Options

I dunno about you guys, but I'm finding all these jokes a little rough.

• Options

I dunno about you guys, but I'm finding all these jokes a little wooden.

Fixed. :P