Options

Tab-L Top Gaems, The Thrud! Meldign likes pixies (Don't tell any1)

• Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    Very much want to run some Call of Cthulhu adventures.

Very much not sure if any of my friends would get into it.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i've never figured out how their adventure structure is supposed to go if your players don't know that much about lovecraft.

'i.. research stuff? i guess?'

though i still have fond memories of the first time i ran the game, late at night in a friend's garage

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    remember the time we did the king in yellow.

and you got mad a the guy who wrote the published adventure?

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I heard some of their stuff is good?

• Options
    oh, they're awesome folks. i was supposed to write for them back when i could afford to do things on spec

just the quality of their contributors varies wildly

• Options
    Ah, not the core group. Chaosium proper, as you might say.

• Options
    as far as i can tell chaosium proper is 4 people who have a tiny office and the rest are contributors, contractors, or remote workers

a lot more informal than i expected. it's no wizards', which is probably why i don't hate them quite as much whenever the personnel talk to the public

• Options
    Let's not talk about Wizards' right now. Right now is a bad time to talk about them.

• Options
    Wizards is totally kicking butt at making Magic cards right now. Can we at least give them that?

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Airking850 wrote:
    Very much want to run some Call of Cthulhu adventures.

Very much not sure if any of my friends would get into it.

Cthulhu devours D4 investigators per turn.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    no, that's arkham horror

• Options
    When hasn't it been their most profitable venture?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I mean like

the Innistrad block is shaping up to be one of the best blocks of all time

and they responded to all the criticism of their planeswalker point and tournament formats, actually fixing what they broke and making Worlds better than ever.

Airking850 on
  • Options
    Wouldn't know.

Got outta Magic back around 8th.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Its still utterly goddamned mystifying that they don't want to mix their two fantasy franchises and make a campaign book based around any one of the M:TG blocks.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Its still utterly goddamned mystifying that they don't want to mix their two fantasy franchises and make a campaign book based around any one of the M:TG blocks.

Yeah, I'd play a MtG rpg like that

As far as Call of Cthulhu goes, I never liked it, and I rather like the Lovecraft books. Horror RPGs rarely if ever work, and Lovecraftian horror can be very arbitrary and "you have read a book filled with horrible knowledge and it has driven you maaaaaaad!" without actually, you know, giving me a reason why. Also Sanity mechanics, like Alignment mechanics, can choke on a dick.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

WotC is owned by Hasbro

Hasbro owns Transformers

Transformers RPG?

naw, never happen

what gives

• Options
    The perfect system for Transformers already exists

it's called Mutants and Masterminds

• Options
    the problem with mutants & masterminds is basically the same problem all points-based RPGs have

if the GM doesn't gently take you by the hand and guide you through character creation the odds of you ending up with something completely useless or really out of place or kind of overpowered is pretty high

• Options
    edited January 2012
    True, although that to me always seems like a tiny drawback in comparison to the level of freedom and variation you get in regards to making your characters. I'd much rather put in more time a character creation in return for a better character, the idea that lengthy or complex character creation is somehow bad is kind of silly to me, if it's a result of more flexibility then why not spend the time and effort? You only have to do it once, after all.

And besides, it's not like you can't do the same in DnD or any other class/level based system. You've always been able to make crappy, sub-par and staggeringly OP characters with those games as well.

Solar on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    True, although that to me always seems like a tiny drawback in comparison to the level of freedom and variation you get in regards to making your characters. I'd much rather put in more time a character creation in return for a better character, the idea that lengthy or complex character creation is somehow bad is kind of silly to me, if it's a result of more flexibility then why not spend the time and effort? You only have to do it once, after all.

And besides, it's not like you can't do the same in DnD or any other class/level based system. You've always been able to make crappy, sub-par and staggeringly OP characters with those games as well.

It is, in 4th edition, genuinely impossible to make a stupidly bad or stupidly powerful character at first level. Okay it's slightly possible to do the former, but you actually have to be trying to do it.

There are a few niche amounts of optimization you can do at first level (like Perception/Initiative), but otherwise it's pretty restrictive.

I think it's just a matter of specturm. Some people prefer what feel like an easier creation process, while others prefer something that has more options, but can take a bit longer.

Having never played M&M, I can't really say. I'm pretty okay with WoD's CC process, if it's similar (though I prefer more freebie/XP at creation to round out concepts better), but I've always believed that character creation should be a group process, overseen by the GM anyway, so potential for broken isn't as big an issue in my mind.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    it's bewildering that there isn't a dnd supplement every year for the newest magic block

they fucking struggle to find enough topics to cover as it is

and come on The DM's Guide To Ravnica imagine that with your mind

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    i've never figured out how their adventure structure is supposed to go if your players don't know that much about lovecraft.

'i.. research stuff? i guess?'

though i still have fond memories of the first time i ran the game, late at night in a friend's garage

It does not work well, let's just say that.

I want to love Call of Cthulhu so much, but I have never had a good game of it.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Tox wrote:
    Solar wrote:

It is, in 4th edition, genuinely impossible to make a stupidly bad or stupidly powerful character at first level. Okay it's slightly possible to do the former, but you actually have to be trying to do it.

There are a few niche amounts of optimization you can do at first level (like Perception/Initiative), but otherwise it's pretty restrictive.

I think it's just a matter of specturm. Some people prefer what feel like an easier creation process, while others prefer something that has more options, but can take a bit longer.

Having never played M&M, I can't really say. I'm pretty okay with WoD's CC process, if it's similar (though I prefer more freebie/XP at creation to round out concepts better), but I've always believed that character creation should be a group process, overseen by the GM anyway, so potential for broken isn't as big an issue in my mind.

I dunno

In 4th ed I made a wizard and Melding said to me that a few choices were bad and I should take different, better ones.

There is one at-will that is strictly better than another.

I'm just saying that as someone new to the game, what to take wasn't immediately apparent and if I'd have tried to do so then it wouldn't have worked very well. Someone even said that Wizards weren't very good at something, being controllers I think? So If I had tried to do that, I would have been bad.

And there is a clear disparity in power between, say, my wizard and Gatsby's monk, who is ten men hard. Not that I mind that, just that the different choices you make are important and there are "bad" and "good" choices, as far as I can see. So saying it's impossible to make a bad character in DnD at first level is wrong, because it clearly isn't. Stupidly bad, debatable, but bad? Yeah.

Really, M&M is pretty great at saying "you should take this stuff to be good," because you have PL caps that you are advised to reach. If a player makes a character than reaches it's PL caps, then it almost can't be bad, because it will have the best attack and defense possible for the PL.

Solar on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote:

WotC is owned by Hasbro

Hasbro owns Transformers

Transformers RPG?

naw, never happen

what gives

Strength
    Endurance
    Firepower
    Intelligence
    Speed
    Skill
    Rank
    Courage

there's already premade stats it is bloody stupid that they won't do it

and come on The DM's Guide To Ravnica imagine that with your mind

my god
    it's full of stars

• Options
    Oh Man Ravnica as a setting

It's such a pretty dream

• Options
    dead serious

Ravnica is my favorite fantasy setting of anything

I love the guilds so goddamn much

upset that the Dimir have been kicked out of the Guildpact but who knows maybe the Dimir will do something besides try to destroy the other Guilds

• Options
    also also the Nephilim are awesome as hell

four colored monstrosities with insanely odd and powerful abilities? yes, yessss

• Options
    the problem with M&M vs. say, a class-based structured game like D&D 4e

is if I come out to your D&D 4e game, beyond having to learn the particulars of your campaign setting and whatever weird crap you may have banned ("NO ELVES!" for instance) and, if I'm playing a Divine character, what gods or whatnot exist in your setting

I still know how to make a mans, what's good and what is not, I know what style of game we are playing and if I, personally, know the rules I ain't gonna make something gimpy or OP by accident

but!

if I show up to some dude's house and he's like "I'm running a Transformers RPG using Mutants & Masterminds as a rules set, PL 10 characters, 150 points"

that is not enough information to make a character that fits the kind of game he is running, who will be on par with the other PCs, and will have abilities and shit that are useful

for example: Should I have a Con score, or does this dude consider Transformers, being robots, to have no Con score? How should I stat out my alternate mode? Should I use Alternate Form, or what? What size should I make my guy? (in a TF game this would be really important as a detail)

shit like that, those are pure game mechanic questions ignoring larger setting-based questions like "what era/faction are we playing in" etc.

if I show up to a game of D&D 4e, I know what I'm playing and how to make a dude, provided the DM isn't doing something weird with the rules. If I show up to a game of whatever using M&M as a vehicle by which to run the game, I have no idea what I am making or how to make it unless the GM essentially lays it all out for me

which is an extra piece of work on the part of the GM, which is exactly why I don't GM M&M unless I am running a conventional super-hero game.

• Options
    I love settings where urban areas are so ancient and sprawling parts of them have become wilderness and there are places here nobody lives that are filled with monsters and endless dungeons below the surface an so on. There is so much you can do with settings like that.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    There's an attraction to systems where the purpose of particular stats and attributes and powers/feats/whatever is so carefully forecasted that a cursory exploration of a character's sheet is enough to immediately absorb how they'd perform in various encounters

But the flipside to that, of course, is that things get abstracted to such an extent that they're entirely reliant on player roleplay/description over specific mechanical action; a game with opposed rolls for every clash, compared to the tactical depth of something like 4E

Which isn't a bad thing by any means but I know it's certainly not for everyone

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    I love settings where urban areas are so ancient and sprawling parts of them have become wilderness and there are places here nobody lives that are filled with monsters and endless dungeons below the surface an so on. There is so much you can do with settings like that.

Speaking of which I need to get off my arse and bother you with more aspect lists finish up that urban gang warfare game

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Pony wrote:
    the problem with M&M vs. say, a class-based structured game like D&D 4e

is if I come out to your D&D 4e game, beyond having to learn the particulars of your campaign setting and whatever weird crap you may have banned ("NO ELVES!" for instance) and, if I'm playing a Divine character, what gods or whatnot exist in your setting

I still know how to make a mans, what's good and what is not, I know what style of game we are playing and if I, personally, know the rules I ain't gonna make something gimpy or OP by accident

but!

if I show up to some dude's house and he's like "I'm running a Transformers RPG using Mutants & Masterminds as a rules set, PL 10 characters, 150 points"

that is not enough information to make a character that fits the kind of game he is running, who will be on par with the other PCs, and will have abilities and shit that are useful

for example: Should I have a Con score, or does this dude consider Transformers, being robots, to have no Con score? How should I stat out my alternate mode? Should I use Alternate Form, or what? What size should I make my guy? (in a TF game this would be really important as a detail)

shit like that, those are pure game mechanic questions ignoring larger setting-based questions like "what era/faction are we playing in" etc.

if I show up to a game of D&D 4e, I know what I'm playing and how to make a dude, provided the DM isn't doing something weird with the rules. If I show up to a game of whatever using M&M as a vehicle by which to run the game, I have no idea what I am making or how to make it unless the GM essentially lays it all out for me

which is an extra piece of work on the part of the GM, which is exactly why I don't GM M&M unless I am running a conventional super-hero game.

Well you gotta admit, the DM has been very short on details there. And I'd consider that to be actually a weakness of DnD, not a strength. In DnD, you always know what is in it. You always play the same set of classes and magic always works the same way and so on. It's kind of samey. With M&M, you aren't restricted to that at all. You can say "magic works like this!" and then let the player mess with that, or even better, say "magic exists in various forms, create one that you like!" It's a lot more flexible and can cover a lot more bases, which is necessary because it's for Supers games.

If I did a Transformers game, I'd come up with a template for transformers than the player can then modify and change around with as they see fit. while keeping the basics, and then add on what they feel best represents their character. But really, your argument seems to be based on the idea that in DnD the GM doesn't need to pass on pertinent info about the setting, whereas in M&M they do. But even if you consider that a failing in M&M (and I don't), it's not true, because you still need to know about the setting to make a character that fits well into it.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Edcrab wrote:
    Solar wrote:

Speaking of which I need to get off my arse and bother you with more aspect lists finish up that urban gang warfare game

Yes, you do

And as far as tactical options go, I've never found that DnD is particularly better when it comes to tactical options. In fact, you could argue that since it limits you to what your class can do and what feats you take, it actually restricts you more than other games. In a game like Battlelords the tactical options are many and varied because they are not codified by the game. There aren't special moves or anything, really. The tactics are based on the environment, the party, the enemies and so on.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    you absolutely would need to know the setting before you made a character. Is it Beast Wars, with exclusively animal altmodes? Generation One? Is it Animated's Universe, where Autobots don't fly at all ever barring three major exceptions? Is it some insane blend of other continuities? Are you a combiner, a city bot, a triple changer, do you have a super mode?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Well yeah, of course

But you'd to know that regardless of the system used, is what I am saying

• Options
    BUT YOU JUST SAID THAT DND IS SAMEY AND YOU DONT NEED TO KNOW HARGLEBARGLE

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Overgrown, reclaimed-by-wilderness urban environments are great. My latest Pokemon game is taking place in one.

This discussion has been closed.