Options

[Let's Play] Metroid Other M - S14 - Always wear your helmet

• Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Metroids. Here. Impossible.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    That implies Samus is the kind to freak out and use weapons willy nilly. While people are free to play her as such, I like to think canonically she's not a sociopath

Let's be clear here.

she willingly went along with a genocide, and felt a pang of guilt only after killing all but one hatchling

I'm not entirely certain she isn't a sociopath, especially considering her upbringing.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Meh, I'm sure she wasn't having a lot of fun doing it.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    Meh, I'm sure she wasn't having a lot of fun doing it.

Depends on the genocide.

The Ing? She really had fun killing the Ing. Complete extermination there.

The Pirates, who may be evil, but they keep pets, have friends, all that, view her as, essentially, the dark god of murder.

Not a sociopath, maybe, but she loves her work.

• Options
    Seriously, look at the logic, but replace "Metroid" with "Bear"

"Alright these guys are cloning bears and using them as living weapons, which they are entirely suited to.

clearly the only option is to exterminate all bears

including on the bear planet where they originated.

NO. MORE. BEARS."

• Options
    The Ing were obviously evil as well, though. That's basically just self-defense. As for the metroids, at the time no one (I think) knew their real purpose and they only seemed to exist as some sort of super predator. Given their possible use as weapons, I really can't hold it against Samus for killing them.

Of course, once Fusion came around I'm sure everyone felt a bit dumb.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Magus` wrote:
    The Ing were obviously evil as well, though. That's basically just self-defense. As for the metroids, at the time no one (I think) knew their real purpose and they only seemed to exist as some sort of super predator. Given their possible use as weapons, I really can't hold it against Samus for killing them.

Of course, once Fusion came around I'm sure everyone felt a bit dumb.

If someone found a way to mass produce bear cavalry would you be okay with hunting all bears on Earth to extinction? Because that is what happened. :P

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure once Fusion came around everyone felt a bit dumb for many, many reasons.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Well bears serve a purpose of keeping certain wildlife in check.. I think? Had they known about the X Parasites and STILL ordered the death of all metroids, well. That's on them. :P

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote:
    Seriously, look at the logic, but replace "Metroid" with "Bear"

"Alright these guys are cloning bears and using them as living weapons, which they are entirely suited to.

clearly the only option is to exterminate all bears

including on the bear planet where they originated.

NO. MORE. BEARS."

Alright, you've been sent to a planet on a rescue mission. Turns out, no survivors.

On the planet, you meet two warring societies. What do you do?

1) Force them to make peace with loud speeches and violence (Kirk method). You might play favorites, but the endgame is everyone wins.

2) Stay out. Leave, take any tech with you. So the nice moth people die, so sad. (Picard method). The Prime Directive and stuff.

3) "You know, it's been weeks since I destroyed an entire planet..."

Guess what Samus does. Go on, guess.

• Options
    Has she destroyed any planet besides Zebes (which wasn't even on her, anyhow)?

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Dark Aether and SR-388.

EDIT: YES because killing the dominant life form on the Metroid planet wasn't good enough.

she rammed a space station filled with ultra-high explosives into it to make sure.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Magus` wrote:
    Has she destroyed any planet besides Zebes (which wasn't even on her, anyhow)?

Zebes. Dark Aether. Phaaze. SR388.

Samus is a walking extinction event.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote:
    Dark Aether and SR-388.

EDIT: YES because killing the dominant life form on the Metroid planet wasn't good enough.

she took off and nuked it from orbit, just to be sure.

Fix'd?

• Options
    Technically Dark Aether wasn't really a planet so much as an alternate.. dimension.. thing. It was also evil.

Same thing with Phaaze. As for SR-388, I thought that was just to kill any X Parasites left, which you can't argue is a good thing in any context. :O

• Options
    edited September 2011
    well it wouldn't have been an issue if Samus wasn't a sociopath who went along with genocide.

EDIT: Henroid that wasn't just a nuke.

that was a station that, by itself, would cause an extinction level event. Then it was designed to explode violently to self destruct.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Honestly it's hard to say since until Other M Samus wasn't really given much in the way of exposition. Well, I guess there was Fusion as well.

Problem is Other M (and possibly Fusion, I don't recall) turned her from someone who would feel understandably guilty into some sort of shrinking violet with a baby complex.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Worst_MP2_ending.jpg (note the lack of purple swirlyness)
    36_08.jpg
    smendimg.jpg
    ev_10.gif

This is what Samus does to planets.

For reference.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What you wrote was close enough to a line from Aliens so I just kinda filled in the reference. /sigh

• Options
    I understand that but...

it just doesn't capture the sheer magnitude of it.

• Options
    You know, I wouldn't mind a new 'big bad' for Samus to fight one of these days. Dark Samus is dead (probably), as is Mother Brain and Ridley, well.. he needs a rest.

Question is, would I want more of an intelligent villain who outplays Samus but otherwise might not be ungodly powerful (by their universe standards) or some sort of nigh unkillable 'force of nature'? Or perhaps some sort of Cthulu-esque thing that has awakened/drawn by all the planet exploding Samus has done? Hrm.

Either way, please don't let it be Other M 2: The Teenage Years

• Options
    Klyka, you lose points for questioning the realism behind elemental weaknesses in video games.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    A new big bad? I can see the plot now:

The Chozo return.

And they're pissed.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote:
    A new big bad? I can see the plot now:

The Chozo return.

And they're pissed.

Wow, my first time reading that post I read it in that movie-announcer voice. Also stop it, you're giving whats-his-face ideas.

"I was a child. But there was a Baby. The Chozo could understand that in the past, but not anymore. They remind me of Adam."

• Options
    Metroid really could handle an impossible being a la Cthulu. I mean, Phantoon is similar but kind of minor in the canon.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    You could call Yog-Soggoth a space pirate and it'd fit right in.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    A rival bounty hunter could be interesting, I was interested in the different folk in Corruption and that DS game (although I only briefly played the latter but saw a whole lot of the character design).

• Options
    A rival bounty hunter could be interesting, I was interested in the different folk in Corruption and that DS game (although I only briefly played the latter but saw a whole lot of the character design).

One of them appears to turn up in Prime 3's ending. The mysterious one who hates Samus.

And Yog Soggoth would just get captured by space pirates, shoved full of Phazon, and his blood would be injected into metroids until he breaks loose and kills a bunch of pirates.

It's what happens every time the pirates find raw elemental extradimensional evil.

Then, when all else fails, they start worshipping it and Samus kills everything until they are eaten by the great cosmic owl.

It is nature's way.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    that DS game is so weird

singleplayer was like, Prime light light. The other bounty hunters basically just acted as minibosses and the only reason they were even in the game was for the multiplayer.

e: uh wait what is this about the Prime 3 ending, I don't remember that

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    heh, and I even completed the game at 100%, wow

and here I thought all the hunters were dead

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I didn't 100% Corruption but I do remember looking at that ending, neat.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Also re:grapple beam and varia suit, after Adam talked about authorization Samus should have just immediately been like, "welp, guess I'll come back when it's your guys' distress call" and did exactly that, swinging back into frame at the critical hour firing missiles like a boss. It's not like the clown brigade could handle that shit, so making conditions for Samus should have been a non-starter.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    yeah, Sylux from Metroid Prime Hunters could be a great adversary. (It helps that he/she/it has an awesome design)

• Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    *vid*

I feel like this was Retro's way of saying "Are we going to make another Metroid game? Who the fuck knows. Here's an ambiguous ending."

Even though I would kill for a Retro Studios produced Metroid game with orchestrated music.

EDIT: And while we're at it, a return to the art style of the original Metroid Prime. The first glimpse of what would become Dark Samus looks creepy as all hell.

Toldo on
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote:
    yeah, Sylux from Metroid Prime Hunters could be a great adversary. (It helps that he/she/it has an awesome design)

he's possibly my most hated hunter, too (in his morph form anyway)

him or the stealth guy

when I think about, everything about this damn game was rage-inducing

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    God I hate them forever for making Retro conform to the barbie doll look.

Let's discuss Metroid canon! Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, Prime trilogy (except she never removes her helmet in P2 or 3).

Shame there aren't any more Metroid games right guys. lalalalala

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Isn't Prime first? Hence the name?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    You guys are not authorized to have this discussion at this time.

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    I really liked in Metroid Prime 1 how Samus was done with a realistic art style. That and she wasn't wearing makeup and her hair was messy in a "just took off a huge battlesuit helmet after hours of shooting shit" instead of "sexy photoshoot."

And I didn't mind Fusions' plot at all. Adam was certainly handled better there than here.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote:

One of them appears to turn up in Prime 3's ending. The mysterious one who hates Samus.

And Yog Soggoth would just get captured by space pirates, shoved full of Phazon, and his blood would be injected into metroids until he breaks loose and kills a bunch of pirates.

No more phazon... please... What a stupid plot device. Retro did a good job with Prime because it was basically an homage to the series, but when left to their own devices for 2 and 3, they gave us... this. And while Phazon worked for Prime because of it's limited use, they ran it into the fucking ground using it as an explanation for everything.

Delzhand on