Options

[Let's Play] Metroid Other M - S14 - Always wear your helmet

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    The "thumbs down" is a lifestyle choice. Samus is a trendsetter.

Be honest, how many of you have given the "thumbs down" sign since you first saw it in the game?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh god, I just stumbled across this. Years ago, Captain K would have Photoshop contests in G&T, and one week it was based on the dual-wielding shenanigans from Halo 2. So I whipped this up.
    dualwieldentry.jpg

On a separate week we had to Photoshop WW2 era posters to be video game related, so I went to Samus again.
    samuscandoit.jpg

I didn't even get honorable mention or anywhere close to winning. Fuckers.

• Options
    Henroid...did you just....pimp yourself out in my thread?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    It would be if it was 2004 still and those contests were ongoing.

I posted them because we're using your LP thread as a general Metroid thread. :P

Edit - HEY GUYS READ MY SHINING FORCE 2 LP!

Henroid on
  • Options
    metroidfusioncontinuity.jpgmetroidfusionnarrative.jpg

I was gonna write something up for those but it's funnier just thinking about them in an Other M kind of context.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    Be honest, how many of you have given the "thumbs down" sign since you first saw it in the game?

Thumbs down? No. But it is fortunate that I am by nature a very quiet person otherwise I would have frequently yelled at the screen and this game for its abject stupidity.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Klyka wrote:

Thumbs down? No. But it is fortunate that I am by nature a very quiet person otherwise I would have frequently yelled at the screen and this game for its abject stupidity.

samusthumbsdownsmall.jpg

Edit - Consider the thread ruined from now on Klyka. <3

Henroid on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    this pic has real image macro potential

• Options
    I'm actually shrinking it down in size right now. This thread is going to be devoured by stupid shit from Other M.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    metroidfusionnarrative.jpg

VqNO8.png

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    babymetroidseverywhere.jpg

The scene before me was overwhelming. The Federation was harboring the BSL's program to grow metroids. Baby metroids. So many of them were before me now, bringing memories of The Baby™ to mind. There was a difference in their reaction to the sight of me now, though. With The Baby's™ DNA within me, thanks to the vaccine, I was now closer to each of these metroids than I'd ever been. Baby metroids. In a sense, I was a mother to them. Even though I was so childish in the past. The past, before The Baby came into my life. Back when Adam Adam Adam Baby Thumbs Down Adam Baby blahblah

:^:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Samus power walking like a bauss, scouting for more intayl.

You're a saint, Klyka.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Jesus, this set. Klyka, through no fault of your own, that was terrible. The reason you saved your progress at 11:33 is because the devs know that if you have to go through another 15 minutes of slow walking you would probably have thrown the Wii out the window.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I was almost about to chastise Klyka for the saving thing when I was watching the video, but yeah. The saving in this game seems to be planned to prevent you from repeating stuff due to unforeseeable dumb shit.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I remember that miniboss fight being absolute bullshit that took me a few tries. Fucking stupid.

Honestly, as fun as some of this game was, it just was not up the same level gameplay-wise as any of the Metroids before it. And I disagree with anyone who says it looks good. It looks half-assed and lazy compared to the absolutely stunning visuals Retro put together. And that was on Gamecube!

That said I am enjoying the LP Klykka. It's kind of neat reliving the game that has passed through my life with nothing but a whisper.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I thought the thread title was a reference to MST3K and Werewolf.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    My criticism of the last set in no way reflects my overall enjoyment of the LP. Klyka as usual is doing a bangup job.

I am hoping for another "Time-bike" style sequence to give it some more of that personal Klyka LP feel.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Oh, and the acrobatic stuff/combat does look pretty cool.

There, that's two things.

• Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Watching that video reminds me of another thing Team Ninja never got right: atmosphere. The abandoned facility would have been creepy as all hell with Retro in charge.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    I thought that little bunny thing was plenty of creepy

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Bunny thing is great until it starts "evolving". Tiny bird-cats shouldn't molt into gigantic wolf-lizards.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote:
    Bunny thing is great until it starts "evolving". Tiny bird-cats shouldn't molt into gigantic wolf-lizards.

Who knew
    Ridley

Was just an over grown cuddowy bunny wabbit?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    It's a allegoricalamitational thingy that illustrates the plight of Japanese mothers who lose track of their children in today's high tempo Capitalist society while combating their abusive space raptor husbands with rockets or something.

This is art.

But seriously that thing had a mouth with all these teeth and it probably had hind claws but instead it used its tail. And of course Samus had to shoot its tail instead of right in the gaping mouth that was right there with all these teeth and OH MY GOD MY BRAIN IS POURING OUT OF MY EARS WHERE HAS MY SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF GONE?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    You weren't authorized to suspend your disbelief.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    That's one thing I do appreciate, Klyka, is the authorization jokes. They are pretty funny.

"Adam can I run no-" "NO"

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The next set is going to be where the authorisation really runs into trouble.
    I can accept it as an explanation for the weapons (although it would have been nice to see some of the damage they were worried about you causing with them), but the rest of it?
    "I'm ordering you into a high-temperature environment. You are not authorised to protect yourself from the heat until you've gotten most of the way through.
    Because I'm an asshole"
    Come to think of it, this works a lot like the way they rationed out new abilities in Fusion, with the difference that at least you'd actually lost them that time. I think they were so focused on avoiding the usual 'Samus gets her ass handed to her and her stuff stolen five minutes into the game' plot, they didn't realise the massive problems with the alternative.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Well they had to work that http://www.giantbomb.com/abilitease/92-57 in somehow!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    So has there been any discussion about Samus's ugly puke yellow/green costume at the beginning of the game? The one that is supposed to just be her regular power armor but still looks like her varia suit?

Also, how there is no gravity suit in this game, just a purple aura when Samus is underwater? The reasoning behind that, according to Sakamoto, was that players would have a hard time taking the cutscenes seriously if there was a someone wearing purple in them. They'd be all, "LOL, who's that purple person!? They are so silly."

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Who's that person struggling with the script and conveying human emotion?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote:
    So has there been any discussion about Samus's ugly puke yellow/green costume at the beginning of the game? The one that is supposed to just be her regular power armor but still looks like her varia suit?

Also, how there is no gravity suit in this game, just a purple aura when Samus is underwater? The reasoning behind that, according to Sakamoto, was that players would have a hard time taking the cutscenes seriously if there was a someone wearing purple in them. They'd be all, "LOL, who's that purple person!? They are so silly."

I know what he means. I really enjoyed Metroid Prime until I got the Gravity Suit. Then I snapped the disc in half, pissed on it, and lit it on fire.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    sorry, but purple suits threaten my manliness

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    sorry, but purple suits threaten my manliness

The purple threatens Samus' manliness, and we can't have that.
    Wait.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    I was actually a little disappointed that my purple suit turned black (EXTREME!!!1) in the first Metroid Prime.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The baby doesn't like purple.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    I was actually a little disappointed that my purple suit turned black (EXTREME!!!1) in the first Metroid Prime.

Yeah but the Prime Suit was so badass I stopped caring almost immediately.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    purple suit?
    zmKNq.jpg

deal with it

• Options
    Arteen wrote:

Who knew
    Ridley

Was just an over grown cuddowy bunny wabbit?

Wait, is this spoiler a joke, or is that where this is really going? That is terrible.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Not a joke. The joke happens after.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    metroidfusioncontinuity.jpgmetroidfusionnarrative.jpg

I was gonna write something up for those but it's funnier just thinking about them in an Other M kind of context.

Luckily I did instead.
    8s2Ep.jpg

• Options
    My criticism of the last set in no way reflects my overall enjoyment of the LP. Klyka as usual is doing a bangup job.

I am hoping for another "Time-bike" style sequence to give it some more of that personal Klyka LP feel.

I have been working on a 20second long video for about 3 hours today and will finish it either after work tomorrow or before my set recording on Wednesday.
    I hope it'll turn out well and you'll guys like it!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg