As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Talking about Netflix

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Oh and to the guy who said they didn't like HIMYM after seeing a couple of episodes that weren't the first episodes? Try it again but from the beginning. It's very long in the story arc department and I can think of a huge number of jokes and situations that make far less sense if you haven't been with it from tbe beginning.

Actually, I disagree. The first season suffers largely from being overly cartoony as well as having way too much emphasis on the limp noodle character of Ted. Then again, I don't think the show is nearly as good as many people do, and it certainly doesn't hold a candle to any of the old NBC "Must See TV" multi-camera/laughtrack sitcoms of the Nineties, like Friends, Frasier, and Seinfeld.

I chalk up the success of HIMYM to its decent cast and chemistry and the lack of better comprable competition. There are very few other multi-cam sitcoms right now, almost all of them are on CBS anyway, and the only two that strongly pander to the 18-35 demographic are this show and BBT.

I dont know about cartoony, but it definitely isnt as good as later episodes (probably from the Ted focus, but also because the first six or so episodes the timing is off and the chemistry isnt really there yet). Seriously though, the timing in some of the early episodes is kind of painful.

EDIT: What is a multi-cam sitcom, and how/does it differ from shows like Community, The Office, Parks and Rec (or really any comedy NBC runs on Wednesday/Thursday).

Does ABC even make TV? Like, I know NBCs ratings are pretty low, but do they get beat out by ABC? How is ABC even still around?

emp123 on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    Oh and to the guy who said they didn't like HIMYM after seeing a couple of episodes that weren't the first episodes? Try it again but from the beginning. It's very long in the story arc department and I can think of a huge number of jokes and situations that make far less sense if you haven't been with it from tbe beginning.

Actually, I disagree. The first season suffers largely from being overly cartoony as well as having way too much emphasis on the limp noodle character of Ted. Then again, I don't think the show is nearly as good as many people do, and it certainly doesn't hold a candle to any of the old NBC "Must See TV" multi-camera/laughtrack sitcoms of the Nineties, like Friends, Frasier, and Seinfeld.

I chalk up the success of HIMYM to its decent cast and chemistry and the lack of better comprable competition. There are very few other multi-cam sitcoms right now, almost all of them are on CBS anyway, and the only two that strongly pander to the 18-35 demographic are this show and BBT.

I dont know about cartoony, but it definitely isnt as good as later episodes (probably from the Ted focus, but also because the first six or so episodes the timing is off and the chemistry isnt really there yet). Seriously though, the timing in some of the early episodes is kind of painful.

Agreed. HIMYM got much better with age. Sadly I think the weakest episodes are the ones focusing on Ted. I'm much more invested in Marshall and Lily and Barney and Robin's stories than in who the mother is at this point.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    EDIT: What is a multi-cam sitcom, and how/does it differ from shows like Community, The Office, Parks and Rec (or really any comedy NBC runs on Wednesday/Thursday).

Does ABC even make TV? Like, I know NBCs ratings are pretty low, but do they get beat out by ABC? How is ABC even still around?

"Multi-cam/four-cam" is just shorthand for comedy that is shot on a soundstage and typically has a laugh-track. It's the conventional, traditional format for TV comedy since the early days, at least back to The Honeymooners. It's become less popular in the last decade or so with the rise of "single camera" comedy, which is shorthand for comedy shows that are shot like a film, typically on-location, and almost never have a laugh-track. I greatly prefer single-cam comedies, because the comedy tends to come from the characters and clever writing instead of cliched tropes and a laughtrack that tells the audience when to laugh.

ABC does okay in the ratings, but much like CBS I could never work there because I have no idea how to pander to their demographic, which is mostly sad middle-aged women. Their most popular shows are schlocky she-reality like Dancing With The Stars and The Bachelor, or female-centric shows like Revenge, Grey's Anatomy, and Desperate Housewives.

The nets have all staked out their target demos:
    CBS - old people, people who like explosions but not thinking about them, people who think concepts are viable substitutes for jokes
    ABC - sad middle-aged women
    FOX - formerly the home of fratish exploitation, but actually has solid programming now
    NBC - hip, literate young people, who apparently are to busy to watch TV.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    NBC makes me so depressed because in the past ten years a majority of my favorite shows come from either them or their shared network (Universal).

Friends, Fraiser, Scrubs, 30 Rock, The Office, Community, Parks and Rec, all great shows. They've also been on the cutting edge of solid, character driven sit coms (which, sadly, seems to be their undoing on the Thursday night page).

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    NBC makes me so depressed because in the past ten years a majority of my favorite shows come from either them or their shared network (Universal).

Friends, Fraiser, Scrubs, 30 Rock, The Office, Community, Parks and Rec, all great shows. They've also been on the cutting edge of solid, character driven sit coms (which, sadly, seems to be their undoing on the Thursday night page).

The good news is that those shows also rack up beaucoup award nominations. That fortunately makes those shows harder to cut from the schedule. If other networks have to cover Tina Fey or Amy Poehler, that's like free advertising.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    Yeah, if theres one show on that list that demands a second chance its Community. BSG is good, but I can see how its not for everyone, same goes for HIMYM (this is easily the worst show on your list, although Ive never seen Deadwood but how bad could it be? Cowboys and f bombs? Woo!)

If he didn't like Battlestar he's going to hate Deadwood.

I didn't like Battlestar after season 1. Deadwood is one of my most favorite TV series PERIOD.
    Also, Arrested Developement is on instant viewing. It builds on itself as the episodes pass. LOTS of call backs.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I think Arrested Development had the best team of writers ever assembled. I mean, every aspect of its production was great (I mean, if the actors weren't good they couldn't have pulled it off) but the writers showed mastery of just about every form of comedy I can think of and wove complicated plots together both in single episodes and entire seasons.

Season 3 was a little weaker but I'd blame it's cancellation and their desire to wrap things up for some of that.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I saw something genuinely weird on Netflix last night. I just went scrounging on my PS3 and turned up something entitled "Maple: The Elephant's Dream." The description read THIS IS A TEST TITLE.THIS IS A TEST TITLE.THIS IS A TEST TITLE...

You get the drift.

What followed was an 11 minute nonsensical little venture in
    which a man's hand caresses a stream of water running from a fountain, along with the same guy doing backflips, running through trees, doing a somewhat passable moonwalk with a laptop, reciting Shakespeare poorly,
    and some juggling.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be some kind of streaming test for Netflix that the company plays in different areas to test image quality/sound syncing/whatever, but at the same time, it has an odd, The Ring-like quality because of how it doesn't outright explain anything about what it is or what it's doing on Netflix, and doesn't have any sort of screen capture thumbnail either. Plus, you know, that special description.

Sounds ripe for the beginning of some kind of Netflix-tinted creepypasta or something. Anybody ever seen something on Netflix that wasn't a movie, a show, a documentary, and had no credits? I'm oddly intrigued in spite of knowing it's pointless, just because it bucks the format it exists in.

There are a couple of test films like that. Usually they are more clearly named and they don't tend to stay up very long.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Peccavi wrote:
    I normally like to give shows a fair shot, but I have no regrets about watching only one episode of American Horror Story.

AHS is a good show but it never grabbed my full attention like Justified, BSG, the good Treks etc. I can take it or leave it which is why I'm not a regular watcher.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Justified, I really really REALLY wish FX would step up their streaming game. Like by putting Justified on Netflix Streaming and maybe not making Hulu viewers wait 30 days.

Hell, it took them a year+ to put Terriers on FX (and there's no 'waiting for DVD profits' excuse because there is no Terriers DVD).

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    I think Arrested Development had the best team of writers ever assembled. I mean, every aspect of its production was great (I mean, if the actors weren't good they couldn't have pulled it off) but the writers showed mastery of just about every form of comedy I can think of and wove complicated plots together both in single episodes and entire seasons.

Season 3 was a little weaker but I'd blame it's cancellation and their desire to wrap things up for some of that.

Arrested Development is still pretty funny for each episode, though, so by sticking with it, you are introduced to new funny things as well as remembering old funny things. Still, if the kind of comedy in the show doesn't grab you in 2 or 3 episodes, then the show isn't for you.

Here's the thing for me, at least, and I've heard this echoed among friends too. I don't want to get started watching a show that goes downhill, especially if it's serial. My girlfriend said that she and her ex got into Lost right before the last season and felt it was a big bait & switch, that there were lots of teasers and hints of a big story, and the show ended up with a very weak ending that made the rest feel cheap. I don't want to waste my time on that. I don't feel that I'm "missing" anything by not partaking in dozens of different TV shows, as there's lots of things I can do with my time. I'm not above TV as a medium -- I'm currently catching up with Futurama's 5th and 6th seasons -- but I'm busy. I'm not one of those people who will sit down and do a tv marathon where I watch 60 episodes in a weekend. When I was watching the first two seasons of The Wire, it took me about 8 months on DVD.

If I have 3 or 4 hours a week where I sit and watch something on my television, I'm more inclined to watch movies, which are usually easy to discern whether they're well done, or if I'll like them as a whole, compared to "testing" TV shows. And if I end up liking a tv show, it's going to take me forever to watch it because I don't put TV watching as a high priority on my list of fun activities. I like Arrested Development, but I've only watched the first 4 episodes so far.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Arrested Development is a rare show that keeps on giving. I've seen it at least 5 times, probably more, and I still catch jokes I missed (some of which are almost impossible to catch the first time through). But I agree, it's not for everyone.

Some shows are just better if you can watch them without having to wait a week for the next episode, or weeks/months in some cases. There are several shows I tried out when they first hit TV, didn't care for them, then later watched through an entire season over a weekend. The recently mentioned Terriers is like that, watched it last weekend. Had caught the pilot when it first aired (I'm a huge fan of Tim Minear's always-cancelled work) but it didn't do anything for me at the time.

• Options
    Tomanta wrote:
    But I agree, it's not for everyone.

Only in as much as that you can't please everyone. If anyone purports to like comedy, but doesn't like AD, then they're doing it wrong. Like someone who says they like Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia but not Louis C.K. or Eddie Izzard.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    Arrested Development is a rare show that keeps on giving. I've seen it at least 5 times, probably more, and I still catch jokes I missed (some of which are almost impossible to catch the first time through). But I agree, it's not for everyone.

Some shows are just better if you can watch them without having to wait a week for the next episode, or weeks/months in some cases. There are several shows I tried out when they first hit TV, didn't care for them, then later watched through an entire season over a weekend. The recently mentioned Terriers is like that, watched it last weekend. Had caught the pilot when it first aired (I'm a huge fan of Tim Minear's always-cancelled work) but it didn't do anything for me at the time.

Arrested Developments works in marathons. The continuity becomes an advantage for regular viewers. I got addicted watching the repeats on AMC.

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Fucking Terriers man. Recently watched it on Netflix, so damn good. At least they wrapped it up well, but I find it really surprising it didn't get a second season despite the terrible ratings. Shows on cable tend to get a longer leash.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I'd rate it above all of those with the possible exception of Frasier (which gets a pass based on intelligent writing). However I'll freely admit that's because I came to dislike sitcoms that have a continuity consisting of the occasional "TO BE CONTINUED" two parter a long time ago. I didn't mind that when it was the only thing really available but I guess I've become spoiled since.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Open Netflix App, see Instant Queue, select what I want to watch, start watching what I want to watch, could not connect to Xbox Live make sure you have a Gold Account. Fuck you Netflix, fuck you right in your stupid fucking face. Every fucking time I want to watch something I have to do this stupid 15 minute dance where I finally convince it to do what I want. Im starting to feel like a fucking pusher.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    gundam470 wrote:
    Fucking Terriers man. Recently watched it on Netflix, so damn good. At least they wrapped it up well, but I find it really surprising it didn't get a second season despite the terrible ratings. Shows on cable tend to get a longer leash.
    I think my friends are starting to get annoyed with me constantly pestering them to watch Terriers. But I was right about The Shield, I was right about Breaking Bad and dammit I'm right about Terriers too so I feel no remorse for being persistent.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I'd rate it above all of those with the possible exception of Frasier (which gets a pass based on intelligent writing).

Well, you're just wrong.

:P

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It's spelled "Frajer"

• Options
    edited January 2012
    gundam470 wrote:

Tim Minear was the show-runner. That man is like the definition of a cursed genius. Here's a list of everything he has been a producer on:
    American Horror Story
    Chicago Code (cancelled season 1)
    Terriers (cancelled season 1)
    Dollhouse (cancelled season 2)
    K-Ville (cancelled after 10 episodes)
    Drive (cancelled after 4 episodes)
    Standoff (cancelled season 1)
    The Inside (cancelled after 4-5 episodes)
    Wonderfalls (cancelled after 4 episodes)
    Firefly (cancelled after 11 episodes)
    Angel
    Strange World (cancelled after 3 episodes)

I have seen 8 of those series. Every one tried to do something at least a little different, every one was a quality show (I'd put Dollhouse at the bottom of the pile of what I've seen).

It's also criminal that The Inside just vanished from the face of the Earth. I mean, 13 filmed episodes and it doesn't even have a wikipedia page. It had one of my favorite cold opens in a pilot ever.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Okay, so I need to watch Terriers. Funny, because I avoided it assuming it must have been particularly terrible (despite liking both the mains, and Minear) because FX rarely shitcans a show that fast.

• Options
    I couldn't get through Terriers. Donal Logue is such a unbearable actor. How is he a thing?

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    ....I kinda like him.

• Options
    It's just that he's always playing the exasperated, down-and-out schlub. It's like a grittier, dramatic version of Kevin James, and I loathe Kevin James.

And Logue looks like two of my least favorite actors had a baby. He's the lovechild of Kevin James and Michael Rappaport.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:

Tim Minear was the show-runner. That man is like the definition of a cursed genius. Here's a list of everything he has been a producer on:
    American Horror Story
    Chicago Code (cancelled season 1)
    Terriers (cancelled season 1)
    Dollhouse (cancelled season 2)
    K-Ville (cancelled after 10 episodes)
    Drive (cancelled after 4 episodes)
    Standoff (cancelled season 1)
    The Inside (cancelled after 4-5 episodes)
    Wonderfalls (cancelled after 4 episodes)
    Firefly (cancelled after 11 episodes)
    Angel
    Strange World (cancelled after 3 episodes)

I have seen 8 of those series. Every one tried to do something at least a little different, every one was a quality show (I'd put Dollhouse at the bottom of the pile of what I've seen).

It's also criminal that The Inside just vanished from the face of the Earth. I mean, 13 filmed episodes and it doesn't even have a wikipedia page. It had one of my favorite cold opens in a pilot ever.

There's a reason the poor man's known as The Tim Reaper.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I just can't bring myself to watch Big Bang Theory. It's sooooo bad.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I wouldn't call it terrible. But it is terribly predictable and generic.

It's the standard no-thinking sitcom.

• Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    I watched "Brother" today on watch instantly. It's a late-90s Russian hitman/crime flick. Pretty good movie.

• Options
    shryke wrote:

Well, it's the standard sitcom where all the jokes come from tired cliches and stereotypes, where the joke rarely goes further than the concept it stems from. It's a lot like Seth McFarlane's schtick, in a way, just watered down for Peoria.

Basically, it's, "Hey, lookit them nerdy nerds being nerdy! Herp!"

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:

Well, it's the standard sitcom where all the jokes come from tired cliches and stereotypes, where the joke rarely goes further than the concept it stems from. It's a lot like Seth McFarlane's schtick, in a way, just watered down for Peoria.

It's not even actually nerdy. It's like buzzwords thrown in to the standard sitcom.

• Options
    shryke wrote:
    shryke wrote:

It's not even actually nerdy. It's like buzzwords thrown in to the standard sitcom.

That's fairly apt. It's like a sitcom based on whatever hashtag was trending most that pilot season.

"Says here that the topics of #lolgeeks, #financialmeltdown, and #cokedoutcharliesheenwinning are really popular right now."

"Ooh, that Charlie Sheen thing sounds like a winner. We should get him."

"You realize that you work for CBS, right?"

• Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    I watched Black Lightning a couple of weeks ago via Netflix streaming. It's basically a Russian spiderman rehash in which the hero has a flying car rather than superpowers. Fairly well done, even if the villain's scheme is sort of lazy.

What did strike me was how much the story was improved by moving it to Moscow. The elements of street crime and general lawlessness along with class disparity really resonated with me a lot more in this setting than many of the recent US superhero movies. The casting was really good too.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I watched Black Lightning a couple of weeks ago via Netflix streaming. It's basically a Russian spiderman rehash in which the hero has a flying car rather than superpowers. Fairly well done, even if the villain's scheme is sort of lazy.

You should have watched Black Dynamite.

"A lot of cats have that name."

Atomika on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

You should have watched Black Dynamite.

"A lot of cats have that name."

Everyone should have watched Black Dynamite.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:

It was painful watching them make the Catan "wood for sheep" joke.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    So apparently, netflix is losing a ton of BBC content (presumably because they lost Starz?)

No more Top Gear, or Doctor Who, or Torchwood

Fuck

• Options
    edited January 2012
    ronzo wrote:
    So apparently, netflix is losing a ton of BBC content (presumably because they lost Starz?)

Fuck

That seems . . . odd.

I only say that because BBC is like their ultra top #1 partner in the UK version of Netflix that started this month.

EDIT: I can't find a thing about it on Google.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    BBC would be big news, hopefully this is just the same temporary losses that they have on occasion.

HackingNetflix doesn't seem to have anything about this as a permanent loss.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote:

Fuck

That seems . . . odd.

I only say that because BBC is like their ultra top #1 partner in the UK version of Netflix that started this month.

EDIT: I can't find a thing about it on Google.

Yeah I haven't heard anything to that either. Where'd you hear it Ronzo?

Also the Starz thing is due to expire in February, is it not? I keep hoping Netflix pulls their heads out of their collective asses and makes something work, because without the Starz Play movie, they lose a lot of shit. And between Hulu and Netflix I'm kind of sick of seeing shitty bargain-bin and B-movies, when I'm paying for a premium service.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!