Options

F#$@ This Ending!

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    i've read On Writing
    it was helpful insofar as i've tried to eliminate adverbs from my writing

but yeah i should practice more. i'm just scared i won't like what comes out of my keyboard/pencil/pen.

this is fine

as long as you know why you don't like it, and what you'll change about it later

I wrote a first draft of a script recently where I loathed almost all of the dialogue because it was clunky and uncharacteristic and long

I didn't stop! I finished the draft, and went back, and kept the essence of the dialogue while changing everything I hated about it and it is now better

that is the process, go, write and hate what you write, just hate constructively!

• Options
    Dubh hi5

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Also, your first draft, almost without exception, is going to be shit

unless you've made some pact with Satan

once it's on paper, you can start the refining process

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    TLHTLH Registered User regular
    I vowed to finish this book I'm writing before my golden year is up. I have 7 days left. I am 50% done.

I will be done with a draft before the week is up. Yes.

Hopefully.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm fan of The Elements of Style. I still need to read On Writing.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote:
    I'm fan of The Elements of Style. I still need to read On Writing.

both of them are basically required reading for writers

• Options
    whoa what

The Elements of Style is three dollars on the Kindle! done and done, amazon

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    i've read On Writing
    it was helpful insofar as i've tried to eliminate adverbs from my writing

but yeah i should practice more. i'm just scared i won't like what comes out of my keyboard/pencil/pen.

you definitely won't

this is pretty much 100% guaranteed

hang on where is that ira glass quote

• Options
    KMBA-Ira+Glass+Quote.png

probably this had been posted before

now it's getting posted again, because you can never read it too many times

(who even is ira glass, anyway)

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Hello. I'm Ira Glass, and on This American Life...

edit
    (NPR. Most subscribed Podcast. Does a sweetheart of an interview with WTF w/ Mark Marion, talking about how he was awful at being a broadcaster when he started. Considered one of the best around now. Talks a lot about finding and pacing beats to a story too.)

TLH on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    right click

save as

• Options
    edited September 2011
    dude does This American Life

edit: YOU WILL RUE THIS DAY, @TLH

Shorty on
  • Options
    Ira's coming to Melbourne to do a stage show about his time on the radio and doing the TV show and whatnot

I got tickets about five seconds after they were available

too excited for words

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    TLH wrote:

Ira_Glass.jpg

8->

• Options
    Had time to post and edit before you there Shorty. Clearly, this day is mine.

• Options
    oh hey I know about that show

anyway we're talking about endings, you know who can't write endings for shit? China fucking Mieville can't write endings for shit.

it's sad because you can tell he's really thought carefully about how everything will come together but the dude just has no instinct for it.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I liked Unbreakable a lot, signs not so much I mean the premise was good but really the Aliens "Weakness" was pretty lame.

Unbreakable or Signs?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    love you guys

thanks for being so helpful

• Options
    edited September 2011
    YaYa, that sounds awesome. I would love to see that guy work on stage. Has he done shows that played live in movie houses too?

e. as in broadcast out in theaters. Simulcast or whatever.

TLH on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Do you know what freaks me out about Ira Glass?

He looks just like he sounds he should look. That's kinda rare.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I liked Unbreakable a lot, signs not so much I mean the premise was good but really the Aliens "Weakness" was pretty lame.

Unbreakable or Signs?

M. Night Shymalan hates water, apparently.

Unless there is a lady in it, but that's just because it lets him stroke his ego.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    TLH wrote:
    Had time to post and edit before you there Shorty. Clearly, this day is mine.

ummm my edit was before yours

it says so

right there

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Do you know what freaks me out about Ira Glass?

He looks just like he sounds he should look. That's kinda rare.

ha ha I know right?

• Options
    Aww piss. I relied on my computer. And my own damn senses.

• Options

Unbreakable or Signs?

I actually liked Signs

sure there were some questionable elements to the aliens (exterior lights on at night, why come to a planet literally covered with something that kills you, et al)

but the thing is it wasn't a sci-fi flick

it wasn't about the aliens

and so I felt that the dumb things about them were excusable

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    TLH wrote:
    YaYa, that sounds awesome. I would love to see that guy work on stage. Has he done shows that played live in movie houses too?

e. as in broadcast out in theaters. Simulcast or whatever.

Ira Glass has done a few yeah.

This American Life is so fucking good. My favorite is still the one about prisoners doing Hamlet.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    I have an anus for radio.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    I haven't listened to This American Life in a while

I should fix that

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular

Unbreakable or Signs?

Wow I guess I never thought that the weaknesses were the same, but in unbreakable its a fear he has which is different than a whole race of beings invading a world with 70% of its surface covered in a substance that is death to them. Also I guess water played a big part of lady in the water, awful btw

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    INCEPTION OPINIONS TIME.

Inception is brilliant in terms of narrative construction, but that's really all it has going for it.

All Nolan's movies are really well constructed, but they have varying levels of character depth and emotional impact. Inception is perhaps the most complex but (perhaps as a result) has the least actual depth.

• Options

Unbreakable or Signs?

Unless there is a lady in it, but that's just because it lets him stroke his ego.

M. Night wanders through fields in the fall

kicking up fallen leaves, gesticulating wildly

just saying, "Fucking WATER!"

over and over

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote:
    TLH wrote:

Ira_Glass.jpg

8->

Seriously, Pipe. He is just the best. That man's stupid show has brought me to happy, hopeful tears so many times it is ridiculous.

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    This American Life is the best. Unless it's a Selected Shorts where they let John Lithgow do poetry and pretty much whatever else he wants. Those are hard to top.

• Options
    INCEPTION OPINIONS TIME.

Inception is brilliant in terms of narrative construction, but that's really all it has going for it.

All Nolan's movies are really well constructed, but they have varying levels of character depth and emotional impact. Inception is perhaps the most complex but (perhaps as a result) has the least actual depth.

I like you much better than that other, terrible, CK. Not hard to do, but I say this with heart

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Man, Inception opinion time again?

I liked it.

• Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed inception but i had to watch it twice to kind of get what was going on in the end there. Also I liked the Adjustment Bureau, the ending took a turn but I enjoyed it.

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    TLH wrote:
    Man, Inception opinion time again?

I liked it.

This is the right thing to say.

And the Adjustment Bureau bugged me for the incompetence of everyone involved.

Also, the bit with the Dark Ages mentioned treated as if they were the worst thing ever with no progress and the WWI-Cuban Missile Crisis was cause to revoke free will. Lot of good stuff done in those times along with the bad.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Dubh wrote:
    INCEPTION OPINIONS TIME.

I like you much better than that other, terrible, CK. Not hard to do, but I say this with heart

I hope you don't mean Louis

• Options
    Shorty wrote:

Unbreakable or Signs?

M. Night wanders through fields in the fall

kicking up fallen leaves, gesticulating wildly

just saying, "Fucking WATER!"

over and over

occasionally he encounters Gary Busey doing the same thing

what Gary Busey yells is, "ROUGHAGE!"

• Options
    Dubh wrote:
    INCEPTION OPINIONS TIME.

I actually tend to agree with him, generally speaking.

but like I really value narrative complexity, so I loved Inception despite thinking that it was missing something.

If you don't find that kind of thing beautiful in itself, you won't have much reason to like the film, I guess