As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] First Time to PAX East? Stuff you may want to know lies within

• aymiseaymise Registered User new member
    So this is the first year I'm going to be attending PAX. I'm also bringing along my girlfriend, who doesn't really play video games or even know what penny arcade is. I was wondering if there was anything that she should be made aware of that might make her trip more enjoyable. Has anybody brought along non-gamer significant others?

As a significant other of a hardcore gamer I can give you closer to her perspective. My fiance is hardcore gamer, PAX is his mecca and he would not miss it for the world. On the other hand, I play some games but most of it just goes over my head (my definition of console gaming is playing Mario on the Wii).

My first PAX was terrible for me (I will say my subsequent experiences were far better and I am totally excited looking forward to PAX East this year). Why it was terrible was in part the sheer exhaustion of going to such an event and not properly taking care of myself. He was all over the place excited about everything and forgot to take care of essentials (adrenaline carrying him through) and I was too exhausted/stupid/afraid of ruining his time to speak up for myself. Additionally, because I had no idea what was going on I just followed him around to advanced panels, watched him play tournament play games and sat there lost and bored most of the time. As a person too shy to talk to new people and feeling I had nothing in common with anyone around me meant when I opted to rest and encouraged him to do his own thing I found myself bored, lonely, and miserable in a corner.

If you want her to have a good time and come back with you some things I would recommend:
    - Go through the schedule together ahead of time and try to go to things she shows interest in.
    - If she shows any interest teach her the basics of some games like Magic or DnD which have play for beginners going around the clock. This way if you want to do something more advanced or see something she isn't interested in she has something familiar to go to and a way to socialize/have fun while you're not around.
    - Be honest about what you want to do but also encourage her to speak up if she's not having fun and be willing to alter your course to something you can both enjoy.

PAX is the best con in my opinion because the people are so friendly and welcoming, and there are so many different aspects of gaming represented there it is easy to find something for everyone. To find the best experience, you do have to look for it and your responsibility if you want her to come with you is for you to help her find it.

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    We had a great time at the Pre-PAX East Montreal meetup last night and new things were learned!

PhoenixP3K LoonyEclipse (I'm sorry if I have the wrong guy, I keep mixing up the names!) : For those who did not have their badges delivered prior to the event, you don't have to wait until Friday morning to pick them up. You can show up on Thursday instead!

Djem: Non-US residents often get the Smart phone / data plan / Twitter blues due to outlandish rates. This kind sir suggests that you just buy yourself a one-off cheap phone from Radio-Shack. I don't remember all the details, but various plans exists that should suffice for your weekend. Price is usually 20$, keep it handy for the next time you go to the States! I'm going to start looking into this right now, and I hate myself for not remembering about it because I just came back from Plattsburgh!!!

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • DocBurnsDocBurns Registered User regular
    I have a question, I'm currently looking at a hotel room where checkout is on Sunday. Would the coat/bag check in allow me to check in my suitcases for the day? Because I have a place to bunk down that night, I'd just need to have my stuff stored for the duration.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    DocBurns wrote: »
    I have a question, I'm currently looking at a hotel room where checkout is on Sunday. Would the coat/bag check in allow me to check in my suitcases for the day? Because I have a place to bunk down that night, I'd just need to have my stuff stored for the duration.

most hotels will hold your bags for a while before check in or after check out, but it's probably best to call the hotel directly and ask their policy.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • alfalfadudealfalfadude ohioRegistered User regular
    my question is, is there any rules for photography there? like is there anything i can't use there, like a flash, or anything? i just want to be sure.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    my question is, is there any rules for photography there? like is there anything i can't use there, like a flash, or anything? i just want to be sure.

For the most part, you can do what you want. Some panels will have their own rules about photography though.

• alfalfadudealfalfadude ohioRegistered User regular
    where can i find this info?

• ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular

PAX itself is pretty free reign with camera rules. Individual exhibitors will vary, though, and will explicitly warn you beforehand. [I.E. the Portal 2 and BF3 videos last year]

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
    edited March 2012
    ottoman673 wrote: »

PAX itself is pretty free reign with camera rules. Individual exhibitors will vary, though, and will explicitly warn you beforehand. [I.E. the Portal 2 and BF3 videos last year]

Yeah, it should be available upon entry to a particular area. If something is sensitive, they'll usually say "no photography" when you enter a room, or have a sign posted.

zerzhul on
  • grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    How complicated is the public transit system in Boston? I will be staying at a family member's house in Revere. I have never been to Boston and hoping it's not too crazy.

PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
    grayfawkes wrote: »
    How complicated is the public transit system in Boston? I will be staying at a family member's house in Revere. I have never been to Boston and hoping it's not too crazy.

There's some info here: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/MBTA

That page should also have links to the overall map.

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    grayfawkes wrote: »

There's some info here: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/MBTA

That page should also have links to the overall map.

I agree that all the info you want on it is in that thread, however if you want a personal opinion, we used it a couple of time during the last PAX and did not find much issues about it. I plan on using it again and I don't have any worries about it.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    When do you receive your badges normally? I bought mine early January and I'm international and paid extra for delivery so I was just wondering when they would arrive thanks

pax%20sig.png
    PurpleBek wrote: »
    When do you receive your badges normally? I bought mine early January and I'm international and paid extra for delivery so I was just wondering when they would arrive thanks

1-2 weeks prior to pax.

• PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    So, in the next couple weeks, thank you.

pax%20sig.png
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    They usually announce when they start mailing out badges, and I am pretty sure they send out internationally in the first batch.

7B14287.png
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    So this is the first year I'm going to be attending PAX. I'm also bringing along my girlfriend, who doesn't really play video games or even know what penny arcade is. I was wondering if there was anything that she should be made aware of that might make her trip more enjoyable. Has anybody brought along non-gamer significant others?

If she is the altruistic sort there is also the Cookie Brigade. Basically giving out tasty stuff to other con-goers while collecting donations for Child's Play.

• thedandmomthedandmom Registered User regular
    This is my second year at PAX and this year we're experimenting with rooming. We found that a small hotel room with 4 people (and a baby) was crowded and expensive. This year we rented a condo for the event that is a mile from one of the hotels with shuttles. We managed to do this for the cost of the hotel room last year, but we have access to things like a full fridge and kitchen which will hopefully help out with food costs for the weekend for the whole group. If this goes well, we'll be attempting it again next year at a location closer to the center.

linkbanner.jpg
  • XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Unfortunately for me, I had to buy a one day pass because the three day ones ran out. I will be at the PAX on Saturday from 8:00AM to 9:00PM. In previous years, I went on Fridays and leave at 5:00PM.

But, nonetheless, I think I will have a good time. For the first time ever, I'm going with an acquaintance from the university. In previous years, I mostly lone-wolfed my way through, but I'm glad to have a partner for the ride this year! And I'll be meeting some fellow My Little Pony fans at the event (don't know for how long, though).

You guys?

XX55XX on
  • gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular

Rhiley wrote: »
    This is not really a first time question but this seems like it would fit this thread. Has anyone discovered a way to carry stuff around that actually works? I want to carry a tablet, water bottle, portable systems and other miscellaneous small items without carrying a backpack and a jacket would be too hot. Messenger bags like like the most popular non-backpack option but they don't look like they are any more convenient. It seems like there is a need for portable wearable storage that is not being filled but hopefully I just don't know what to look for. Any suggestions?

This is my first time at Pax, but I was planning to take one of those light backpacks that are just string and nylon. They probably have a name, but I do not know it. I recently returned from a vacation, and used one of these for a water bottle, notebook, sunglasses, sweater, extra socks. I will do that same at PAX, and still have room for swag. I like these because they are light and easy to carry in luggage. My DS and my iphone will go in my pockets though, as I am not comfortable carrying those on my back.

I'm working on getting/making a small backpack for the con. Last year my bag 1) was too big and 2) killed my back because I ignored all the people saying that single-shoulder bags will be the death of your spine.

So I'm going to pack lighter/smarter this time and even out the weight on both shoulders. People aren't kidding when they say this is essential, newbies!

This worked great for a recent trip to Spain.

http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-fluid-18-backpack-1100cu-in-mhw1478?CMP_SKU=MHW1478&MER=0406&CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&mv_pc=r126&003=7162907&010=MHW1478-FLA-REG&mr:trackingCode=784316DC-F061-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

It's light, but also has a lot of support and cushioning. I got last year's model on sale--couldn't find it anyone, but might be available somewhere if you look.

First, sorry for three posts in a row. Of the 60,000+ people going to Pax, I might be the least tech-savvy. I have just read this thread through--thank you to everyone who has posted. This will be my first year, and this has been very helpful. I still have one question--after scheduling meals and all the panels and activities I want plus time for being in line (one hour each panel), I'm left with a grand total of five hours to explore the expo floor, most of this time in one hour chunks. Should I consider cutting some of the panels? I am particularly worried that one hour increments are not good for the floor because of lines there. Thoughts?

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    gonexall wrote: »
    First, sorry for three posts in a row. Of the 60,000+ people going to Pax, I might be the least tech-savvy. I have just read this thread through--thank you to everyone who has posted. This will be my first year, and this has been very helpful. I still have one question--after scheduling meals and all the panels and activities I want plus time for being in line (one hour each panel), I'm left with a grand total of five hours to explore the expo floor, most of this time in one hour chunks. Should I consider cutting some of the panels? I am particularly worried that one hour increments are not good for the floor because of lines there. Thoughts?

Five hours over all three days of the con? Good lord man, you have a lot planned!

The Expo hall is huge, and packed with people and STUFF so just going an hour at a time is going to be a bit rough. Plus, if you want to play anything, you can kiss that hour away, some lines can take just an hour to get to see/play something!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular

remember that pax is huge and you CAN'T do it all, even in three days, so don't knock yourself out trying to do everything. planning every minute isn't a bad idea, so if you feel like you've hit a lull you can just check your schedule to see what's going on, but i would suggest relaxing a bit and just doing what you feel like doing in the moment. you may find you don't feel like sitting through another panel even though you had one planned, or maybe you just need some freeplay downtime. pax will still be here next year, and the year after that, and the year after that. try to pace yourself.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Five hours over all three days of the con? Good lord man, you have a lot planned!

The Expo hall is huge, and packed with people and STUFF so just going an hour at a time is going to be a bit rough. Plus, if you want to play anything, you can kiss that hour away, some lines can take just an hour to get to see/play something!

Thanks. There are so many awesome things to do on the schedule, I guess I got carried away. Anyway, this is what I feared. Now to make the tough decisions and take a hard look at those activities that break up a block I could have for checking out the expo hall--I'm looking at you, Steampunk Worldbuilding...

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    gonexall, I'd recommend trying to find some time on Friday to do a walk through browsing the entire expo floor, that way you can get a sense for the things you'd like to see and things you have to see, and how bad the lines are, and schedule the rest of your weekend accordingly. If there's just one high-demand thing you really really want to wait in line for, you could plan to do that first thing in the morning Sat or Sun to beat most of the rush, and then still have time for your panel-heavy plan.

• ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular

What I'm doing this year is trying to limit myself to 1-2 panels/tournaments per day, exception being those outside of Expo Hall hours. i.e:

Friday, I'll be lining up for the Expo hall right away. I'll browse it for 2-3 hours, until the Kotaku panel at 2:30pm. When that concludes, i'll return to Expo for the remaining couple of hours. I plan on attending PAX Game 2012 and the Khoo Q&A as well, but those are both outside of expo hall hours. Saturday, I have the Irrational Panel, then 1-2 more after Expo hall hours... you just have to make cuts wherever you can.

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    This year I've purposefully avoided planning *anything*, partly due to having Enforcer shifts to account for, but also because between the panel schedule and knowing the rotating pool of activities that will be happening in Tabletop and other places, plus at least one cursory stroll through Expo, there will never be a time where there won't be something interesting to do. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

• imdowd80imdowd80 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    what should i expect from this? i read the FAQ...some of it, but still have some more questions
    like can i bring in my own bottled water? can i bring in my own backpack or other bag? how should i dress? im thinking a light jacket and windpants that i can switch into shorts?

imdowd80 on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You should read through all of the FAQ, and the first timer thread, as those questions are all answered in those two threads.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    lots of people have backpacks with them at pax, and some vendors even give you bags to keep swag in. you can bring your own water in, and a light jacket/hoodie is fine for inside.

Also, be ready to stand in a lot of lines.

• PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    Which PAX are you going to, Prime or East? I don't know what the weather is going to be like this year in Boston but last year's PAX East I brought in a light jacket to wear and carry around my things in and it turned out to be too warm inside, so I ended up awkwardly carrying around a jacket full of stuff. Next day I just brought a backpack and packed light and my experience was much improved.

As far as the bags that the vendors give out, one of the giant ones I got fell apart almost immediately. They might be okay for short term swag transport to the bag check or your hotel room but you'll have to consider how much walking you'll be doing at the event, and how much stuff you really want to lug around with you.

• JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    I would leave the jacket at the hotel, car or home. Last year I managed with just a long sleeve shirt. Pax is a blast and you will have the time of your life!

• rubykavalierrubykavalier pink is the new bacon Registered User regular
    Here is probably a dumb question: let's say there is someone (namely me) who has spent her entire life living in very public-transportation-unfriendly cities. How easy is the T to navigate assuming one has never before seen a subway except on television? I mean, we're talking the whole shebang - finding it from the airport, getting a ticket, finding the right train (which I assume isn't an issue considering there's really only one that runs from the airport, right?). I'm not so concerned about getting to the Westin considering that from a Google maps perspective, you can pretty much see the hotel from the World Trade Center station, right? Easy.

Also, which is better for someone juggling baggage - bus or train? The MBTA website's trip planner isn't giving me a rail option, but looking at the schedules, it exists. Any and all advice is welcomed, and many thanks and internet cookies in advance.

Here is probably a dumb question: let's say there is someone (namely me) who has spent her entire life living in very public-transportation-unfriendly cities. How easy is the T to navigate assuming one has never before seen a subway except on television? I mean, we're talking the whole shebang - finding it from the airport, getting a ticket, finding the right train (which I assume isn't an issue considering there's really only one that runs from the airport, right?). I'm not so concerned about getting to the Westin considering that from a Google maps perspective, you can pretty much see the hotel from the World Trade Center station, right? Easy.

Also, which is better for someone juggling baggage - bus or train? The MBTA website's trip planner isn't giving me a rail option, but looking at the schedules, it exists. Any and all advice is welcomed, and many thanks and internet cookies in advance.

The silver line is actually a bus route, but on specialized bus lanes (some above some below ground). There should be signs in the airport pointing you to the silver line and airport staff should be able to direct you to the right place. You should be able to use the trip planner, including the silver line, to get where you need to go. You can totally see the hotel from the WTC station, and if not the hotel, you will see the BCEC (it's impossible to miss from there) and the hotel is connected :)

zerzhul wrote: »

The silver line is actually a bus route, but on specialized bus lanes (some above some below ground). There should be signs in the airport pointing you to the silver line and airport staff should be able to direct you to the right place. You should be able to use the trip planner, including the silver line, to get where you need to go. You can totally see the hotel from the WTC station, and if not the hotel, you will see the BCEC (it's impossible to miss from there) and the hotel is connected :)

Underground bus lanes, you say? Fancy.

Thanks! :D

• antheremantherem Registered User regular

If your only planned trip is from the airport to the Westin, it's very easy - you take any of the Silver Line buses running around the airport (it's laid out like a circle so they do a loop) and get off at World Trade Center. Various parts of the MBTA website will refer to the Silver Line as a bus or a subway. It's a bus with a dedicated lane, basically. If you're going back TO the airport, the only thing to remember is to take the SL1 bus (there's signs, don't be too worried about this.) The system was set up for business professionals trying to get to and from the airport to the BCEC (with luggage!), so it's as painless as possible.

If you REALLY want to take some trains, there's the Blue Line, but it takes a lot longer, you have to transfer twice, and you end up having to either walk from South Station or take the Silver Line anyway. Don't do this.

antherem wrote: »

If your only planned trip is from the airport to the Westin, it's very easy - you take any of the Silver Line buses running around the airport (it's laid out like a circle so they do a loop) and get off at World Trade Center. Various parts of the MBTA website will refer to the Silver Line as a bus or a subway. It's a bus with a dedicated lane, basically. If you're going back TO the airport, the only thing to remember is to take the SL1 bus (there's signs, don't be too worried about this.) The system was set up for business professionals trying to get to and from the airport to the BCEC (with luggage!), so it's as painless as possible.

If you REALLY want to take some trains, there's the Blue Line, but it takes a lot longer, you have to transfer twice, and you end up having to either walk from South Station or take the Silver Line anyway. Don't do this.

I imagine I'll end up on an actual train at some point during the weekend as there will be such things as bars and more bars and I think a brewery tour happening, but I'll be with two Boston natives at that time so I will be able to merely docilely follow along in their wake. :) It was mostly the airport --> hotel leg I was concerned about as I'll be all by my lonesome (save any coincidental running-into of fellow PAXers, which considering I'm getting in Thursday around 9 am, doesn't seem terribly likely) and have a ride TO the airport set up Sunday with aforementioned Boston native with a car.

Thanks for the info!

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

Public transportation here is really easy, but it can be confusing/intimidating to first timers. I regularly commute through the South Station subway stop and I'd say 3 out of 5 days out of the week I can find a lost tourist to give advice to.

Here's some detailed instructions to give you confidence. :)

If you happen to be flying via United or JetBlue, you'll be coming into Terminal C. Step outside from baggage claim, turn right, and walk way way down until you find the Silver Line bus stop. For other terminals, just follow the signs to the Silver Line, and don't be afraid to ask people for help.

If there is a ticket machine there, you want to navigate to Subway/Bus pass, "other amount", then type in $2.00 for a one-way fare (or $4 if you want to get your return fare purchase out of the way). If there is no ticket machine, I'm almost certain you can pay with cash as you step onto the Silver Line bus. Bring exact fare, because the driver can't make change. For the return trip I think you have to get a ticket from a machine, because if I remember right you'll be going through a turnstile. Insert the ticket with the orange arrow on the top, turnstile won't open until you pull the ticket back out.

The driver will want you to put your luggage on the rack that's midway down the bus. The robot announcer should tell you when World Trade Center is coming up. Don't forget to ooh and ahh when the bus takes a pit stop to convert from gas-powered to overhead electric cable powered.

Alternate to all the above: Yell something video game related when you're at baggage claim and then follow whatever stranger seemed to understand what you were referencing. :)

wonderpug wrote: »

Public transportation here is really easy, but it can be confusing/intimidating to first timers. I regularly commute through the South Station subway stop and I'd say 3 out of 5 days out of the week I can find a lost tourist to give advice to.

Here's some detailed instructions to give you confidence. :)

If you happen to be flying via United or JetBlue, you'll be coming into Terminal C. Step outside from baggage claim, turn right, and walk way way down until you find the Silver Line bus stop. For other terminals, just follow the signs to the Silver Line, and don't be afraid to ask people for help.

If there is a ticket machine there, you want to navigate to Subway/Bus pass, "other amount", then type in $2.00 for a one-way fare (or $4 if you want to get your return fare purchase out of the way). If there is no ticket machine, I'm almost certain you can pay with cash as you step onto the Silver Line bus. Bring exact fare, because the driver can't make change. For the return trip I think you have to get a ticket from a machine, because if I remember right you'll be going through a turnstile. Insert the ticket with the orange arrow on the top, turnstile won't open until you pull the ticket back out.

The driver will want you to put your luggage on the rack that's midway down the bus. The robot announcer should tell you when World Trade Center is coming up. Don't forget to ooh and ahh when the bus takes a pit stop to convert from gas-powered to overhead electric cable powered.

Alternate to all the above: Yell something video game related when you're at baggage claim and then follow whatever stranger seemed to understand what you were referencing. :)

Oh my, thank you!. My inner obsessive-compulsive also thanks you for such detailed info (as it happens, I'm flying in on JetBlue. :D) I will indeed ooh and aah at the wonders of modern technology.

It is entirely possible that I will be so jazzed upon landing at Logan that I will hold my DSLite triumphantly aloft and proclaim, "PAX EAST-ians, UNITE!" just to see what happens.