As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Person of Interest] Where Jesus is Batman

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    PantsB wrote:
    Just to be clear, this is the show where a guy invented a magictechnological device that monitors every electronic device in the world and identifies terrorists but also gives the inventor of the device the social security numbers of either victims or perpetrators of future violent crimes that he will use to try to prevent the future violent crimes using his crack team of procedural detectives?

This is why scientific literacy sucks in the US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uoM5kfZIQ0

I'm just saying. It could be worse.

And to be fair, Finch didn't create a machine that monitors or collects all that information. The government was already tapping every phone and reading every e-mail and watching every security camera. Finch just designed a computer program that can sort through all that information and collate it into useful intelligence.

Predicting a future twist, I'm betting even money that Finch's partner died trying to prevent the death of Reese's girlfriend, since we saw her on one of his monitors in the flashbacks.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    PantsB wrote:
    Just to be clear, this is the show where a guy invented a magictechnological device that monitors every electronic device in the world and identifies terrorists but also gives the inventor of the device the social security numbers of either victims or perpetrators of future violent crimes that he will use to try to prevent the future violent crimes using his crack team of procedural detectives?

This is why scientific literacy sucks in the US

You just hate him because he's a good programmer. You can do fucking everything with Cobol and DB2. EAT IT!

Edit: That CSI clip should be illegal.

zeeny on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It was nice to see them give a little more backstory to the central idea, but they need to get some extra layers in this because right now it's a simple premise that doesn't bear scrutiny.

Unless they want this to just be episodic, in which case they need to really ramp up the quality of those A-plots. I can forgive a few weak ones while they set the scene, but if it's not actually going anywhere, then they need gold from the off.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Fun episode tonight, and it looks like they're trying to setup some kind of overarching story or evil mastermind. Could be interesting later.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    He didn't shoot anyone in the leg. +1. Cop lady is still around, though, so it can get better.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hurray, it looks like there's going to be an overarching story of some kind*!

*That isn't just the policewoman hunting down Johnny No Charisma.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Right after Lost, the guy who played Locke was shopping around a show idea that would star him and the guy who played Ben as ex-CIA doing odd jobs together while maintaining cover identities as regular Joe's.

Did this show evolve from that except they cut Locke and replaced him with Jesus?

• Options
    Lars wrote:
    Right after Lost, the guy who played Locke was shopping around a show idea that would star him and the guy who played Ben as ex-CIA doing odd jobs together while maintaining cover identities as regular Joe's.

Did this show evolve from that except they cut Locke and replaced him with Jesus?
    Yeah, sadly it did.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Lars wrote:

Yeah, sadly it did.

I can kind of understand why, though, from a network guy's perspective.

Pairing up Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn so soon after LOST would create problems in terms of viewership immediately. You're not going to draw in people who weren't fans of Lost to begin with, since there's a lot of pre-loaded baggage attached to the the two working so closely together, and people who were fans of Lost may be turned off by the new shows subject matter and tone being so different.

I would pay good money to see those two in a buddy cop show or a show like Person of Interest or Human Target, but I can understand the decision. Besides, O'Quinn landed on his feet with that recurring role on Hawaii Five-O. I just hope Person of Interest takes off. I also hope they fail at least once during the first season, as that always adds a lot of fun to these vigilante shows if good doesn't triumph every single time. They should probably tone down the DEM as well, it's pretty easy to drop a lot of "just in the nick of time" moments into a show like this but it hurts it in the long run.

Hmm... I wonder if Hack is still on tv anywhere. I liked that show too.

• Options
    I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean, he's in Hawaii 5-0 instead, with Jin from Lost.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean, he's in Hawaii 5-0 instead, with Jin from Lost.

Maybe I just think there's a difference between joining an existing show and starting up a whole new one.

Don't get me wrong, I would watch Person of Interest even more than I already do if they had Terry O'Quinn instead of Frequency-guy. Hell, I would kidnap people and make them watch it with me, I'm just hypothesizing.

• Options
    I think the gap has been long enough that it doesn't matter. Still hypotheticals. It could just be my disappointment with this series, with particular reference to the wooden acting of the lead. Perhaps it'll turn out that Ben is really his fairy godmother and at the end he'll be made into a real boy.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    I think the gap has been long enough that it doesn't matter. Still hypotheticals. It could just be my disappointment with this series, with particular reference to the wooden acting of the lead. Perhaps it'll turn out that Ben is really his fairy godmother and at the end he'll be made into a real boy.

Fair enough. I too hope Caveizel improves, but i'm willing to stick with this for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    Great episode tonight. A little ambiguity goes a long way toward improving the series for me, and it was nice to see Caveizel come alive in those last couple of scenes. He's almost emoting now.

Emerson remains awesome.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Last nights ending was the strongest ending on a TV drama in a long, long time. That ending was so good.

As for the Locke/Ben ex-CIA show, no this has nothing to do with that. Not sure where the info that this is the same thing but with Jesus instead of Locke came from, but this is a Jonathan Nolan creation, and the Locke/Ben show is pure Abrams. Abrams didn't create Person of Interest.

The Locke/Ben show is titled "Oddjobs", is more of a dark comedy, and is owned by NBC. NBC has the rights to it, and still holds the rights to it. It's just on hold because by the time the deal went through Emerson already had this job. If this gets cancelled, you can bet that's the next stop for them. NBC bought the pitch outright, so there is zero chance the story idea would end up on CBS.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Yeah, that ending was pretty good. I can't decide if him deciding (or just revealing his plan all along) in the end would have been better or not. Depends on if we ever hear of it again.

The lady cop needs to go. She's going to figure out Kinda Dirty Cop was sent by Reese and it'll drive me to try wishing her dead.

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed last night's episode.

How long until the homicide detective has her number come up?

• Options
    After Finch's (but he'll hide it and it wont come up until last) and before Reese's.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    It does annoy me a bit that the main characters name is Reese and he functions as a shadowy figure that sweeps in and helps people and then disappears again, if only because Finch always is saying "Mister Reese."

Mysteries is a bit on the nose.

Just name the character Virgil Lante and get it over with.

Asharad on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Decent episode that.
    mxmarks wrote:
    As for the Locke/Ben ex-CIA show, no this has nothing to do with that. Not sure where the info that this is the same thing but with Jesus instead of Locke came from, but this is a Jonathan Nolan creation, and the Locke/Ben show is pure Abrams. Abrams didn't create Person of Interest.

The Locke/Ben show is titled "Oddjobs", is more of a dark comedy, and is owned by NBC. NBC has the rights to it, and still holds the rights to it. It's just on hold because by the time the deal went through Emerson already had this job. If this gets cancelled, you can bet that's the next stop for them. NBC bought the pitch outright, so there is zero chance the story idea would end up on CBS.

Oh, that's good news.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Catching up on "Judgment" from last week. The show seems to have forgotten that the number indicates someone who will be involved in a violent crime, not necessarily be the victim of one. I'm starting to feel bad for the people who have to act opposite Caviezel since they're bringing some great acting chops and he's a damn plank of wood.

Hope tonight's episode is better than Judgment and more like the Ipsum episode

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Me likey.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Great episode this week, far more of a "Human Target" vibe this time around compared to last week, along with some mythology building on the whole "Elias" thing from a few weeks back. I love seeing Finch put his unlimited resources to use in ridiculous ways, and Caveizel was actually emoting in a scene or two this week. Action was good, plot was twisty without being TOO stupid, and they completely bypassed the detective work portion that has been slowing things down in the interim.

No Fusco this week, but meh. Lady cop got to do a couple of interesting things despite (or perhaps because of) being completely removed from the A-plot. Always good to see Dan Hedaya get work, even if it's in his stereotypical 'befuddled authority figure' role.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Asharad wrote:
    It does annoy me a bit that the main characters name is Reese and he functions as a shadowy figure that sweeps in and helps people and then disappears again, if only because Finch always is saying "Mister Reese."

I kinda like it, for example when he sat in with the doctor woman: It's a very 100 Bullets-ish setup, except we know the background behind these guys, and they're really not as all-powerful as they're leading people to believe.

• Options
    But they're getting closer. The only real problem they have is man power. They just keep getting more and more money and that can get them pretty much anything they need. Time would be an issue on occasion, but they normally have some before things go south. But I expect them to keep the semi-act up (and of course never hire another person unless they decide to add another woman to the show).

Finch needs to add gloves to his shopping list. Useless Cop Lady is going to sense his finger prints.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Liked the episode last night, Finch continues to be the entertaining part of the show.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Panda4You wrote:
    Asharad wrote:

I kinda like it, for example when he sat in with the doctor woman: It's a very 100 Bullets-ish setup, except we know the background behind these guys, and they're really not as all-powerful as they're leading people to believe.

Yeah, I like the set up in general, it just grates on me everytime Finch says "Mister Reese" (mysteries).

• Options
    The Mister Reese thing is fine, because it's an intentional joke from Ben.

Also, that last episode seemed to include some life from whatsit. Maybe he'll end up a real boy afterall!

• Options
    Finally watched Thursday's episode off my DVR.

We now have an overarching story, that's a good sign.

Some really solid stuff this time around, a little bit of world-building, our first real interaction between Finch and Fusco, which was fun. Not much of a B-Plot to speak of, though the whole Elias mythology was a lot of fun. It was also the first of what I expect will be several episodes where either Reese or Finch is cut-off from the other for an extended portion of the episode.

The villain knowing that Reese is out there is a nice touch, and there was a certain amount of ominousness when the organized crime detective talked about Elias being a step ahead of the cops and everyone else. Could be interesting down the line.

Hoping this show sticks around for a least a little while longer.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Great episode ... and they actually had me fooled the whole time. Didn't think for a second that Mr. Burton was actually Elias. A nice touch was that the young russians didn't have ridiculous accents and spoke plain english.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    I liked the actor they got to play Elias, and the most recent ep was solid. The count of monte cristo meta joke for the audience got a chuckle out of me as well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    When Reese directly said Burton reminds him of Finch, I was pretty certain he was Elias. Good actor for it though, I've always wondered why he hasn't had more important roles.

• Options
    Gosprey wrote:
    When Reese directly said Burton reminds him of Finch, I was pretty certain he was Elias. Good actor for it though, I've always wondered why he hasn't had more important roles.

Hey he was on just shoot me for years!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TheBigEasy wrote:
    Great episode ... and they actually had me fooled the whole time. Didn't think for a second that Mr. Burton was actually Elias. A nice touch was that the young russians didn't have ridiculous accents and spoke plain english.

The guy playing the Russian that Elias shot in the leg would have made a kickass Elias if he was older. That guy has crazy range. He could have probably done the accent and it would have been fine.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote:
    TheBigEasy wrote:

The guy playing the Russian that Elias shot in the leg would have made a kickass Elias if he was older. That guy has crazy range. He could have probably done the accent and it would have been fine.

He was Victor on Dollhouse. He'll be back.

• Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    I know nothing of this show other than to come here & say that three days ago they were filming by the Hospital down my street. Wonder if they'll get the sketchy needle ridden lots of the school next door too. Ahh, Harlem.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Gosprey wrote:

He's been lead (one of the leads?) on Flashpoint for a few years now. I haven't been following it lately, but I think it's still running. (Canadian SWAT team show, basically--airs on CTV usually.)

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Gosprey wrote:

He's been lead (one of the leads?) on Flashpoint for a few years now. I haven't been following it lately, but I think it's still running. (Canadian SWAT team show, basically--airs on CTV usually.)

Yeah. It's still airing. It airs in the US as CBS too, which is rare for a Canadian show. Guy was also the dad on Veronica Mars and some guy on Just Shoot Me! I was pretty surprised at the beginning of the episode that they'd get him in just to do a 1-shot guest star. (SURPRISE!)

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    haha, me too.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Folks must not have watched Veronica Mars. Anywho I love this show - the premise is insanely ludicrous and thank goodness for it. I don't come to a show thinking "Oh ok, lets see what real world shit they fuck up. . ." Whenever technobabble pops up on the screen I'm just thinking "Whatever, let's get to Reese breaking people's arms. . ."

As for Caviezel being "robotic"; crazy. His acting is more nuanced than Emmerson's by a mile. Of course this is really Caviezel's show, and theres not a whole hell of a lot for Emmerson to do other than relay information. Hopefully the writers can find a way to get Emmerson more engaged.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend