As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X-Men Destiny

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Archonex wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    bullshots, my friend, bullshots

But they had to come from somewhere! And all I see are untextured environments and tree sprites that would have looked bad on the SNES.

This is weird. This guy went to the same spot and took a screenshot. The textures look much better. Not saying it redeems the game. It just makes me wonder what's going on with the first guy's xbox.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31337981&postcount=333

His Xbox could be damaged.

Alternatively, it's a load issue. I remember Last Remnant had the same issue for some people. Installing the game on the hard-drive fixed it, however.

That was just slow texture loading. Same problem that Mass Effect had.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Everybody seems to want to play as the little Japanese girl...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DarkDragoonDarkDragoon Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    I played as the boring jock. Even if he is the boringest bore to ever bore a bore, his design is less obnoxious than Japanese scarf girl and punk rock tribal tattoo goose.

• Options
    Dragoon, did you buy this game?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote:

I really liked her design, actually. Sort of like Wednesday Addams meets Dumb Donald.

• Options
    DarkDragoonDarkDragoon Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    I rented it out of morbid curiosity.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    I rented it out of morbid curiosity.

Ah, I see.

Cause, everyone's raggin on it, but you seem to really hate it :lol:

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Cyclop's team has Magneto, the Danger Room, the current Juggernaut, Emma Frost, and the former ruler of a hell dimension, and they're going to fight the Celestials.

Hrm, works for me. I wasn't blown away by Danger as a character, but I did enjoy Scott and Emma.

"You don't actually control my mind, do you?"

"You will never see me naked again."

Is the series any good? Solid writing and a good story will draw me in more than anything. And is it available in trade paperback?

Which, to come full circle, makes me think that Joss Whedon needs to write for the next X-Men game.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    So... Clusterfuck of the Year? I know the Dead Island PC release comes close but that ended up being a really great game.

Considering there was almost no hype for this anywhere, no. People were really psyched about Dead Island, then were punched in their nether sacks. The upside to that is that DI was patched fairly quickly considering the huge amount of fixing they had to do, though I find it awesome that they actually took down the MP servers and removed functionality from the game for a bit, but releasing a shitty game that is an obvious quick cash-grab/victim of development scheduling doesn't even compare to releasing a dev build to the masses across all platforms.

So I take it this has unseated Uncanny X-Men on NES as the worst X-Men game ever? Or is it just a really strong contender?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I liked X-Men on the NES. :(
    It wasn't that bad.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Look at it this way, maybe this will be the game that breaks the camel's back the way all the Batman games were terrible and 5 years from now someone will come out of nowhere with their badass Arkham Asylum take.

Though it probably should've been this game. Why was this thing pushed out the door? There was no movie to release it alongside.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote:
    Though it probably should've been this game. Why was this thing pushed out the door? There was no movie to release it alongside.

Because Activision.

It's the same reason we're getting a new Spidey game barely a year after the last one, even though Spider-Twilight won't hit theaters until next year.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    It wasn't that bad.

Yes, it was.
    Corpekata wrote:
    Look at it this way, maybe this will be the game that breaks the camel's back the way all the Batman games were terrible and 5 years from now someone will come out of nowhere with their badass Arkham Asylum take.

I would argue that XO: Wolverine was a solid step in that direction. A sequel that improves and refines upon the previous title could be the X-Men, or at least the Wolverine, equivalent of AA.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Bullio wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:
    So... Clusterfuck of the Year? I know the Dead Island PC release comes close but that ended up being a really great game.

Considering there was almost no hype for this anywhere, no. People were really psyched about Dead Island, then were punched in their nether sacks. The upside to that is that DI was patched fairly quickly considering the huge amount of fixing they had to do, though I find it awesome that they actually took down the MP servers and removed functionality from the game for a bit, but releasing a shitty game that is an obvious quick cash-grab/victim of development scheduling doesn't even compare to releasing a dev build to the masses across all platforms.

So I take it this has unseated Uncanny X-Men on NES as the worst X-Men game ever? Or is it just a really strong contender?

I was actually hyped for this when I read a little blurb about it like... a month or two back. But I hadn't heard anything else so I figured it was in early development and didn't even realize it was coming out and then it turned out to be total shit so now I'm sad.

Also if you want to play a good X-Men game just get X-Men Legends or Legends 2

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Yeah. Or Marvel Ultimate Alliance. It's got a lot of Avengers in there, but you can play as an X-Men team if you want.

• Options
    Agreed.

The basic point is if you're hankering for a Marvel beat em up you have options, and virtually every single one seems to be better than Destiny.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Oh, wait. It was. I was thinking of the one from the Genesis. My mind confused the two.
    The one for the NES was a stupid attempt at a Gauntlet like game, and looks absolutely horrible.
    I haven't played Destiny yet, but I would wager it's not that bad. It's playable at least.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Agreed.

The basic point is if you're hankering for a Marvel beat em up you have options, and virtually every single one seems to be better than Destiny.

From the sound of it, you could get a better experience by picking up a set of Hulk Hands and running around your neighborhood punching people.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    It wasn't that bad.

Yes, it was.
    Corpekata wrote:

I would argue that XO: Wolverine was a solid step in that direction. A sequel that improves and refines upon the previous title could be the X-Men, or at least the Wolverine, equivalent of AA.

I picked up X-Men Origins: Wolverine on the cheap, but if they put out a sequel that takes everything great from that game and adds to it, while also improving the short-comings, I would get it full price.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    Agreed.

From the sound of it, you could get a better experience by picking up a set of Hulk Hands and running around your neighborhood punching people.

Well to be fair that sounds like a lot of fun.

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I don't disagree that the game has some severe problems, but I enjoy the combat at the very least.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    Agreed.

Well to be fair that sounds like a lot of fun.

Kinect game idea?
    I'd buy it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    I don't disagree that the game has some severe problems, but I enjoy the combat at the very least.

I enjoy smashing the X button sometimes too.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Forar wrote:
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Cyclop's team has Magneto, the Danger Room, the current Juggernaut, Emma Frost, and the former ruler of a hell dimension, and they're going to fight the Celestials.

Hrm, works for me. I wasn't blown away by Danger as a character, but I did enjoy Scott and Emma.

"You don't actually control my mind, do you?"

"You will never see me naked again."

Is the series any good? Solid writing and a good story will draw me in more than anything. And is it available in trade paperback?

Which, to come full circle, makes me think that Joss Whedon needs to write for the next X-Men game.

It's not out yet, but Kieron Gillen was writing Uncanny before the team change too, and everything I've heard says good.

Moreover, did read Gillen's SWORD. He's a good writer who picked up what Whedon left behind and ran with it.

• Options
    SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    All, this is not a bad game. Granted, it's not great either. Some people seem to think it's an RPG in the traditional sense. Unfortunately, the RPG elements are different from what others are used to. I have only played it for a few hours but I have still gotten some enjoyment out of it. Anyway, with better games on the horizon, I wouldn't recommend it but there is still some fun to be had with it.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Well, if anything, this thread has inspired me to try to pick up where I left off with my old Too Human save sometime in the next few weeks.

It'll be interesting to see Giant Bomb's quick look of this game, though. That should be up in about 5 hours.

• Options
    Syrionus wrote:
    All, this is not a bad game.

No, it IS a bad game, you just happen to like it. The two are not mutually exclusive. I have a number of terribad games in my Bury Them With Me pile as well.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Syrionus wrote:

No, it IS a bad game, you just happen to like it. The two are not mutually exclusive. I have a number of terribad games in my Bury Them With Me pile as well.

Ninja Blade is one of my favorites, and it is - at best - merely okay. Worth $20 though.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote:

I enjoy smashing the X button sometimes too.

you could distill any number of combat systems down to this. I like the power choices you get to make and the X-Gene customization. I feel like the combat is pretty solid overall. It's just in a horribly designed, ugly game with a terrible, nonsensical story and awful, repetitive boss fights.

I'm just saying if somebody took some cues from the combat in this game and put it into something that wasn't a travesty I would probably really like that game.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    And here's GB's quick look.

The game doesn't seem terrible, and definitely doesn't look as bad as that video posted earlier in the thread. Just looks kind of mediocre. It actually did remind me of Too Human a bit, especially with those bigger robot enemies.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I am SO renting this

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Syrionus wrote:

No, this IS NOT a bad game. A bad game doesn't load or doesn't function as intended. This game works and personally I think the gene system is thinking outside of the box. I mean, that's what SK is known for; making games that think outside of the box. If you can't enjoy a game for what it is then it is no wonder that games like Modern Warfare get milked every year . Also, a lot of people despise Denis Dyack, which I find silly.

• Options
    Are you actually trying to make the argument that so long as a game is functional it cannot be bad?

Also, making bad RPG brawlers isn't thinking outside the box, neither is remaking Metal Gear Solid. You'd have to go back nearly a decade to find a single example of their awareness that the space outside "the box" exists at all. They've shut themselves in the box and have developed acute agoraphobia toward the space outside of that box.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Uh, if you want a good RPG brawler go pick up X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance or you know, any of the half dozen games that did what this game did but better and much earlier.

This game sure has a bunch of mutants in it. I can give it that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    Are you actually trying to make the argument that so long as a game is functional it cannot be bad?

Also, making bad RPG brawlers isn't thinking outside the box, neither is remaking Metal Gear Solid. You'd have to go back nearly a decade to find a single example of their awareness that the space outside "the box" exists at all. They've shut themselves in the box and have developed acute agoraphobia toward the space outside of that box.

Oh man, MGS Twin Snakes was rad! Those cutscenes were bananas.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Maddoc wrote:
    No, I am saying there is fun to be had with this game, so it isn't bad. It seems that it might not be what people thought it was. Then again, they did try to sell it as Mass Effect with X-men.

I was refering to the gene system. Also, Too Human was thinking outside of the box and that was released 3 years ago, so you are overlooking that.

Syrionus on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    How easy are the Achievements in this?

Just...just, you know, out of curiosity

• Options
    I have been getting one everytime I have turned around.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    How easy are the Achievements in this?

Just...just, you know, out of curiosity

I'm guessing the only thing that would take any time at all would be to get all the collectibles. Or if the difficulties didn't stack, you'd have to play through three times.

Apparently the secret achievements are all story-based so two playthroughs are needed, minimum.

Which, at 5 hours... well, let's add a couple hours onto that for the collectible achievements.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hmm

Interesting...may rent it this weekend or something

Though this appears to be so half-done that I wonder if they even programmed it to have Achievements stack :/