Questions, Discussion, Tutorials

1424344454648»

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Ok I have another, completely unrelated, question for art-brained people

I want to get a giant photo print, like A20 size, to go on my wall. I'm just wondering what the best material would be for such a thing? I don't think I'd like a canvas that big. But regular paper would probably be too flimsy. Any suggestions?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There’s actually a bunch of options, depending on what kind of texture you’re after. For something that large you’d probably want a paper of at least 300 gsm, and then you can choose between matte/pearl/gloss/textured finishes.

Most print shops (online or in person) will let you select a paper from their range, so specific papers depends a bit on where you get it printed, but just in general I really like the Hahnemuhle photo range, especially their photo rag.

Brovid Hasselsmof
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Another question, is it possible to work out how a picture will look when printed large? The one I want is of an elephant. If I zoom into the photo so the eye is as big as it would be on the print it looks blurry, but I have no idea if that's representative of what it would look like after printing. I guess the photo resolution wouldn't be the same as my screen resolution.

I just want to know if this thing is going to look ok as a giant poster before I waste the money on it. It's currently a CR2 file if that is relevant.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    My instinct is to say that if it's blurry on your monitor, it's almost certainly going to be blurry in print (though not being a photographer who works with CR2 files generally, I suppose it's possible there's some software nonsense there I'm not familiar with that would make it appear blurry even if the resolution was there.)

It basically comes down to how many pixels you've got to work with versus how close you are meant to view it- for books/magazines and such, meant to be viewed close up, the standard is to have the source images be at least 300dpi.
    For a 'giant poster' meant to be viewed from further away, you would be able to get away with a lower dpi and have the viewing experience be fine, even if it's blurry if you get really close. (Maybe I'm wrong, but I assume McDonald's isn't working with a 20TB .psd file for every billboard it puts up just to have a 300dpi 10 foot tall Big Mac by the side of the I-75.)

If the source image just isn't big enough resolution-wise, there's gonna be blurring no matter what- printer software/Photoshop/etc. won't be able to add data that's not there in the first place. (I suppose there might be an AI solution out there now to fake in a bunch of data to upres the image, but you're on your own if you want to try to figure that stuff out). How much blurring is acceptable for your use case is kinda up to you/(your client, if there is one).

Icemopper