As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel Vs Capcom Thread Of Believing in Mike Ross

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I thought Cap's hyper charging star blew right through projectiles?

Glad to hear you're having some fun with this game (finally).

I played a guy last night in a player match and he had his mic on, and I just heard a bunch of complaining and calling me "no talent" and stuff. I beat him 2-0 and he left, sending me a message of "no talent, just gimmicks." This is Marvel, isn't this game all ABOUT gimmicks?

I wasn't even pulling off a fraction of the cheap bullshit Firebrand/Dormammu are capable of. He just had zero respect for air bon voyage.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    He was referring to start up invincibility, which it has none of. Start up invincibility against projectiles would be very strong.

I just wish it went through ALL projectile-like objects. Apparently it doesn't go through Morrigan's missle barrage!

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    He was referring to start up invincibility, which it has none of. Start up invincibility against projectiles would be very strong.

I just wish it went through ALL projectile-like objects. Apparently it doesn't go through Morrigan's missle barrage!

Huh, weird. Doubly so since he goes right through Doom and Dante missiles.

Are you sure he can't go through them, though? Because Charging Star and Hyper Charging Star move pretty fast if they aren't hitting a character. It's pretty easy to mistime those and end up getting a faceful of projectile instead of going through them.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Captain America resulted in the creation of my best team ever the other day.

I had a few matches go terribly against someone running Nemesis/Doom/Wesker and I ultra raged, said fuck it, and threw my three favorite characters all on one team. The next round I came in with Ryu/Taskmaster/Doom and drank deep from a big glass of haterade and rageahol. Poor bastard doesn't know what hit him. I think I'm gonna main this team from now on because hell, it clicks perfectly, works great, and I like everyone on it a lot.

Thank you Captain America for showing me the true path to freedom.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    A legendary guilty gear player from Japan named kusoru (his name is a portmanteau of the words for "crap" and "Sol") is lighting people up with his team of Viewtiful Joe/Frank/Rocket Raccoon at Final Round. He's already set for grand finals.

One of the more amazing replays:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjsJOQfO_X4

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    oh yeah, he won by the way

it rekindled my joe/raccoon team, which i had been playing wrong

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Captain America resulted in the creation of my best team ever the other day.

I had a few matches go terribly against someone running Nemesis/Doom/Wesker and I ultra raged, said fuck it, and threw my three favorite characters all on one team. The next round I came in with Ryu/Taskmaster/Doom and drank deep from a big glass of haterade and rageahol. Poor bastard doesn't know what hit him. I think I'm gonna main this team from now on because hell, it clicks perfectly, works great, and I like everyone on it a lot.

Thank you Captain America for showing me the true path to freedom.

Cap does wonders against Doom Hidden Missile spam. Shield Slash frequently snags the Doom assist so you can combo him, then you can just Charging Star to Hyper Charging Star to escape the missile bullshit when it starts to land. And it's a pretty simple tactic, but using an XF2 Cap to insta-punish the front character and catching the spamming assist as well has turned around any number of games for me. I don't think any assists can survive back-to-back Hyper Charging Stars with one of them XF-boosted and a Dormammu Chaotic Flame DHC can finish off the front character if needed. Three bars and XF to knock out two healthy enemies at once is never a bad trade.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I love Doctor Doom, but I just can't play as him. His execution is just way too fucking weird for me to wrap my head around which kinda hoses me. I may slot Arthur just for giggles and see how that goes.
    Cap does wonders against Doom Hidden Missile spam. Shield Slash frequently snags the Doom assist so you can combo him, then you can just Charging Star to Hyper Charging Star to escape the missile bullshit when it starts to land. And it's a pretty simple tactic, but using an XF2 Cap to insta-punish the front character and catching the spamming assist as well has turned around any number of games for me. I don't think any assists can survive back-to-back Hyper Charging Stars with one of them XF-boosted and a Dormammu Chaotic Flame DHC can finish off the front character if needed. Three bars and XF to knock out two healthy enemies at once is never a bad trade.
    He's a good character, he just didn't click for me like Ryu and Tasky have. I usually pick mains based on who I just sorta naturally "get."

EDIT: Also, GG to Kinderparty for his Final Round performance, watching you in action was good times sir.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This makes me happy, because I spent a TON of time with Rocket Raccoon this weekend and now think he's pretty awesome. His mixup potential with Tunnel Rat M is just insane. Him and Nova together was pretty great for me. Call in Nova's human rocket punch assist, tunnel rat M under the guy, and its a sandwich of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Of COURSE once I felt good with it, my roomate wanted to try to play right as TempleWulf sent me a request and I was on my way out the door. This match has literally been months in the making.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    where are you running raccoon, point?

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I actually had him in the 2nd slot. I'm not the smartest with team building, but using the guide and stuff the team that I had the best success with including Rocket went Morrigan/Rocket/Nova.

I did this because Rocket's assists are all great, but man I loved Shrapnel trap. I'm pretty decent with Morrigan, so i'd open the match with a lot of soul fists, and send Rocket in to lay the traps. Shrapnel trap is 10 hits when its set off, so the second I saw someone getting hit by it, Morrigan would dash in and capitalize.

Once Rocket got in there, Morrigan and Nova's assists really help. I use Morrigan's meter generating one, which allowed me to always be able to throw those giant springs on the ground (which, you can have more than one on the ground at a time - so throwing 3 down, it created a bunch of situations where one would bounce someone on to the next one, which is hilarious). And like I said above, Nova's human rocket punch right as I went into tunnel rat M was great for mix ups. The rocket punch has a wall bounce though, so there was times it hit and I wouldnt be behind them to catch it yet, and it would mess up a combo.

And I Nova's beam hyper has insane chip damage. I havent found anything else like it. So as an anchor, if I've used Morrigan's assist well, I can usually Level 3 XFC Nova and just hyper whoevers left to death, blocking or not.

Also they DHC into each other fairly well. Morrigan is kind of the odd one out, but Rocket's gatling gun into Novas blaster is nice.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    Kinderparty seemed to improve a lot since vanilla. He was beating me at my own tricks most of the time. I can't win matches where I get out-thrown. D:

poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I'm happy that Kinderparty did so great. Especially since he had been losing hope about being able to run an all zoning team.

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    This makes me happy, because I spent a TON of time with Rocket Raccoon this weekend and now think he's pretty awesome. His mixup potential with Tunnel Rat M is just insane. Him and Nova together was pretty great for me. Call in Nova's human rocket punch assist, tunnel rat M under the guy, and its a sandwich of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Of COURSE once I felt good with it, my roomate wanted to try to play right as TempleWulf sent me a request and I was on my way out the door. This match has literally been months in the making.

Rocket Raccoon is god damn scary. My buddy Oreo runs Dante (Jam Session), RR (that double shot assist), and Magneto (disruptor), and the pressure is insane.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote:

Duckin'

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    biscuitbutt81biscuitbutt81 Registered User regular

Rocket Raccoon is god damn scary. My buddy Oreo runs Dante (Jam Session), RR (that double shot assist), and Magneto (disruptor), and the pressure is insane.

Haha, you know Oreo?

He comes down to Xanadu games (in Baltimore) every once in a while, and his team can be tricky to play.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    One of the most vicious things about the log trap is that when Joe super jumps and the camera follows him, it's really hard to see the log trap... and if it hits, Joe can capitalize on the hit with dive kick. He can also dive kick of the hell of it to make the log trap hard to block. Worst case scenario he plays it safe and chucks a voomerang at superjump height. There's a lot of complicated stuff that RR is capable of that kusoru never needed to do because nobody had a solid handle on how to break the log trap.

This is kind of oversimplifying it, but it's still hilarious:
    make that moneyyy36g0je.jpg

l_g on
  • Options

Haha, you know Oreo?

He comes down to Xanadu games (in Baltimore) every once in a while, and his team can be tricky to play.

Hah, yeah, I've known him for a few years now. We've got a Skype conference chat/call that we hang out in with some other bros. I help him do lab work online occassionally. I'm not a good player but I'm good to train with cause I analyze god damned everything.

He finally took my advice and put Jam Session on Dante so methinks his team is gonna get way more hookerish to fight.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    One of the most vicious things about the log trap is that when Joe super jumps and the camera follows him, it's really hard to see the log trap... and if it hits, Joe can capitalize on the hit with dive kick. He can also dive kick of the hell of it to make the log trap hard to block. Worst case scenario he plays it safe and chucks a voomerang at superjump height. There's a lot of complicated stuff that RR is capable of that kusoru never needed to do because nobody had a solid handle on how to break the log trap.

This is kind of oversimplifying it, but it's still hilarious:
    make that moneyyy36g0je.jpg

Can't call assists during super jump. He's actually triple jumping, making it look like he's super jumping, and calling the assist. Early on in the tournament it's probably like "Gems" Chen was saying, that's why people were eating it constantly, thinking the log could not be called out. Later on it's due to the fact that no one actually plays this game seriously. They all want to bitch about it rather than play it, yet still expect to collect money.

While the matches with Kuroso/Kurseru/whatever his name is were boring as hell to watch (Chris G, Diemenion, and Kinder laming it out were much better ways of playing lame, something I support 100%), the salty tears of people losing to him were anything but.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Column wrote: »
    Can't call assists during super jump. He's actually triple jumping, making it look like he's super jumping, and calling the assist. Early on in the tournament it's probably like "Gems" Chen was saying, that's why people were eating it constantly, thinking the log could not be called out.

That's totally right, thanks for the correction.

I'm sure he has a ton of tricks up his sleeve just by how he dealt with Phoenix/Dark Phoenix; the guy is famous in Guilty Gear for having terrific execution coupled with a near troll-like propensity for gadget/gimmick plays, which he can capitalize on with both his knowledge and his execution. Mach speed felt like it would invuln through tons of other things, so being able to cancel into it from Joe's dodge is pretty awesome. I wonder what things come out fast enough or have enough invulnerability to either beat or get out of the way of that. Still, I would've loved to see extended sets of him versus other guys running zoning-heavy teams to see what they do about it when tournament elimination isn't on the line and they have more time to experiment/adapt, and to see what he does about that. The novelty of dive kick/voomerang + log trap or log trap + shopping cart does wear thin after an extended period of seeing it just always working.

l_g on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm in favor of any play that involves an interesting team doing stuff I haven't seen.

• Options
    Can't call assists during super jump. He's actually triple jumping, making it look like he's super jumping, and calling the assist. Early on in the tournament it's probably like "Gems" Chen was saying, that's why people were eating it constantly, thinking the log could not be called out.

I'm sure he has a ton of tricks up his sleeve just by how he dealt with Phoenix/Dark Phoenix; the guy is famous in Guilty Gear for having terrific execution coupled with a near troll-like propensity for gadget/gimmick plays, which he can capitalize on with both his knowledge and his execution. Mach speed felt like it would invuln through tons of other things, so being able to cancel into it from Joe's dodge is pretty awesome. I wonder what things come out fast enough or have enough invulnerability to either beat or get out of the way of that. Still, I would've loved to see extended sets of him versus other guys running zoning-heavy teams to see what they do about it when tournament elimination isn't on the line and they have more time to experiment/adapt, and to see what he does about that. The novelty of dive kick/voomerang + log trap or log trap + shopping cart does wear thin after an extended period of seeing it just always working.

Extended sets would have been great. It did look like PRBalrog was getting a grasp of the gameplan and adapting in just that one set. I bet most of the guys there would adapt and make a first to ten close. I really wanted to see Yipes get another shot at him.

I'm hoping a 5v5 US v. Japan takes place at Evo. FChamp made the comment on twitter and FubarDuck responded with who Kusoru would pick represent Japan. Small scene or not over there it was always nice to see the Japanese MvC2 guys come over to play, the MvC3 guys aren't looking too bad either.

• Options
    inlemurinlemur Registered User regular

Mach Speed beats every level one hyper except Gamma Crush and Weapon-X Prime, even when it's done first. I'm not as familiar with level three hyper properties but it probably beats many of those as well. There was a situation where someone's Spencer went into Bionic Arm then DHC'd out of it and the commentators questioned it, but it was the right move. Bionic Arm actually loses to most invulnerable hypers; it has very little invulnerability, but it has huge range and an enormous hitbox.

XBL - remura
  • Options
    v dodge + mach speed = 50 frames of invincibility iirc

so... yeah

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    inlemur wrote: »

Mach Speed beats every level one hyper except Gamma Crush and Weapon-X Prime, even when it's done first. I'm not as familiar with level three hyper properties but it probably beats many of those as well. There was a situation where someone's Spencer went into Bionic Arm then DHC'd out of it and the commentators questioned it, but it was the right move. Bionic Arm actually loses to most invulnerable hypers; it has very little invulnerability, but it has huge range and an enormous hitbox.

That was PRBalrog during finals. Chen and, I think UltraDavid, were going back and forth about whether it was the right move or not. Chen, I think, finally said he thought what you're confirming, that the invincibility of Joe's super would win out. The other theory they had going back and forth, and something mentioned in chat, was PRBalrog though he was going to get his non-Felicia partner to swap with Spencer. Instead he got Felicia.

Edit 2.0=> How have I not seen this posted anywhere yet? Guess it was taken down, is why. Japanese player who beat PRRog in marvel at Final Round getting bum rushed by his friends, rubbed down, and finishing. Juvenile but amusing gif.

Column on
  • Options
    inlemur wrote: »

I imagine that Ryu has some counters to the dodge xx Mach Speed: cancel into heavy DP (invulnerable for 9 frames from frame 1, during which Ryu flys out of the way and will probably land before Joe recovers from Mach Speed), or cancel into his power up super (which I think has 0 recovery frames, unlike some other power up/install supers) and block. Neither option works if Ryu is airborne when Joe does Mach Speed, though.

But Ryu actually fighting Joe outside of that one particular situation is a whole other issue.

• Options
    I dunno if RR and Joe will prove out to be top-grade material just because they did okay in one tournament. At this point, I'd consider it more likely that folks just didn't know how to handle fighting against those guys. I've faced some decent RR/Joe players a few times, but a bit of awareness was plenty to nullify the Log Trap assist and dodge projectiles. And because the Log Trap was never landing, the Burning Kick wasn't doing anything productive either except get Joe in close where I want him anyway. Of course, I think any team with Cap is might be in a unique situation just because he can ignore all those projectiles out there and punish spam. Cap works especially well against RR. The rodent can set his traps all day long and a standard Charging Star runs through all of them with no problem. As for RR and teleporting, it doesn't bother me much. It's usually obvious enough to get blocked properly without much trouble.

But you never know, they may prove to be good forever. I don't think they've got a high enough bullshit quotient to really make it, though.

Speaking of Cap, finally have a pretty dirty trick for him. His front flip is pretty lame by UMvC3 standards (slow, doesn't turn him invisible, obvious, doesn't go very far, etc), but it does work really well with Haggar's Steel Pipe assist. Throw out some regular attacks, call the Haggar assist, cancel into front flip past the enemy, and reap rewards. Even if they block it, it's a win because they can't hit Cap in the meantime. Gets folks all the time, especially when a second or third character is coming in.

• Options
    um, yeah. no.

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    What are some good OTG assists that aren't Wesker? I'm looking to do midscreen relaunch combos with Dormammu.

Ideally I would want them to be a decent anchor as well but that isn't a dealbreaker.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    What are some good OTG assists that aren't Wesker? I'm looking to do midscreen relaunch combos with Dormammu.

Ideally I would want them to be a decent anchor as well but that isn't a dealbreaker.

Try Deadpool. Pretty sure he still has an infinite in level three x-factor too for anchor purposes if it comes to that.

Unless things have changed he had the fastest OTG assist in vanilla by one or two frames. I think Wesker was the second fastest.

Column on
  • Options
    Ah, good idea. I had Deadpool on my team a while back but ultimately dropped him.

I will miss Strider though for his vajra assist and level 3 XF ouroboros BS.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Ah, good idea. I had Deadpool on my team a while back but ultimately dropped him.

I will miss Strider though for his vajra assist and level 3 XF ouroboros BS.

Deadpool's Katana-rama is absolutely integral to my Spider-Man team. I never did really learn how to play him very well, though. It's mostly keepaway until I can slide into happy trigger, fishing for a hyper opportunity.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Finally got around to watching the Marvel finals of Final Round. Say what you will about Kusoru winning because we aren't accustomed to Joe/Rocket Racoon, I'm just happy to see some unexplored characters being used and being effective. Top American players just seem to be unwilling to look past characters who are already proven.

I'm also reading that he beat Justin Wong's Iron Fist team in a casual FT10 match 10-8 (not sure if there's a video though). You have to know he's not all gimmicks if he can beat Wong in an extended set.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Surprise, surprise! Capcom does it again!

WEZqy.png

ULTIMATE MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3X - "Expand the ultimate experience. 8 new challengers join the fight!"

Apparently it's a DLC voucher for $15 on July 3rd, or buy the expanded disc for $40 on July 24th.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    $15 is a decent price for 8 characters.

I'll probably join in this time. Definitely if it has buletta as rumoured.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I posted this from a friend's facebook, who says he got it from GAF. He was frustrated because he just picked up the Vita version under the presumption that it was the definitive version. I also heard a few times that Capcom was done doing DLC on this game, balance patching aside.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'd say don't ever trust capcom not to milk something to death.

Still, $15 for 8 characters is hell of alot better than $5 each for shuma and jill or $8 each for blazblue's characters. I'd even say that they're doing it right this time. If it's still a few months out it could show that they're willing to support it for the long run.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Well, they said before Ultimate's release that they originally had 8 more characters planned so that they could beat MVC2's roster, but they had to cut them for time. This really isn't much of a surprise.

I'm going to guess MVC2 veterans are going to make up a good portion of this set.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    While I like getting on the hatetrain as much as everyone.

I really don't see a problem with 8 new characters for 15 bucks.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Sven at Capcom Unity has posted that this is fake.

Which to me is actually a bigger surprise than it being true.