Options

[TF2] Pyromania Update Day 3! MEET THE PYRO RELEASED! Do you believe in magic?

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    xzzy wrote: »
    There was a TF2 update today.

Put in some hats and stuff. They look neat.

No one around here cares about TF2 anymore. :(

When an update comes that adds more than hats or nobuild zones to maps I'll begin to care

This is probably going to sound weird coming from me of all people, but I less lost interest in the game than lost respect for it. Enough of the things they added were blatant money grabs ($100 to announce giving a gift to someone in the game? Seriously?) without addressing embarrassing flaws that have been around forever (like the pantomimed reload animations) that it really just feels like a way for Valve to draw money out of the audience instead of a best effort. I have nothing against the free-to-play concept, but this is not an implementation I wish to support-- even implicitly, by showing up on the ratings. I'll boot up the game for map tests, because that supports people who actually seem to be passionate about building the game, but nothing else.

You know the $100 thing was supposed to be for marriage proposals right? Not just a regular ol' gift. Still a money grab but it keeps people interested and the game is still fun for me. Not trying to sway you or anything. Just putting that out there.

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Even if you love TF2 and you're marrying someone who also loves TF2, I still feel like you could do a lot better than proposing in TF2.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know what's fun? Getting in server.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    You know what's fun? Getting in server.

Are we playing for real or playtesting broken maps? Because if it's the former, I'll hop on.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Adus wrote: »
    Even if you love TF2 and you're marrying someone who also loves TF2, I still feel like you could do a lot better than proposing in TF2.
    Yeah. Like proposing in Portal 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8SdYz7cq04

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    This is probably going to sound weird coming from me of all people, but I less lost interest in the game than lost respect for it. Enough of the things they added were blatant money grabs ($100 to announce giving a gift to someone in the game? Seriously?) without addressing embarrassing flaws that have been around forever (like the pantomimed reload animations) that it really just feels like a way for Valve to draw money out of the audience instead of a best effort. I have nothing against the free-to-play concept, but this is not an implementation I wish to support-- even implicitly, by showing up on the ratings. I'll boot up the game for map tests, because that supports people who actually seem to be passionate about building the game, but nothing else.

Unfortunately with the way Valve is structured, employees only put time into projects that interests them. If no one's interested in fixing animations, it will never get done. The company's structure is completely flat, so there isn't even a boss anywhere who can demand that it get fixed.

Hats keep getting added because it's easy. Someone just has to pull something in from the steam workshop, compile it and maybe do some QA and then hit the go button, watch the money roll in.

It sucks, but this is just the way Valve is. I mean, EP3 is still nothing but a rumor.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    valve's on a crowdsourcing high that won't end until steam stops growing

that will never happen

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Paladin wrote: »
    valve's on a crowdsourcing high that won't end until steam stops growing

that will never happen

Oh shit, is this like that HP Lovecraft story about the creature that doubles in size every fifteen minutes, and then completely consumes and destroys the whole planet? Actually, that's a PERFECT analogy for steam.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    "completely consumes and destroys the whole planet" is so pejorative though.

If I didn't already know you served the Newell I would report you.

• Options
    Valve put out an update a little bit ago to fix replays.. and broke everything else!

Here's Foundry on fire:

74E82796F9098AB36594D7A611F723806B6C20A4

Also sounds for everything is messed up. Spies make sniper noises when dying, scouts sound like natasha when running around.. fun stuff like that.

• Options
    HONC is full, but they're all pubs. :(

Come play honc.

• Options
    I will join HONC if there's room.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    two shittier than usual plr custom maps in a row

quit

Also played entire round two men down with no autobalance. Game still good.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah what's up with the totally broken autobalance on honc.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Mostly it's a case of "forgot to turn gscramble back on after having to turn it off for the FF2 testing a while back."

Just re-uploaded it. Would manually turn it on but I'm on my laptop ATM and can't get HSLW to launch. It *should* turn back on next map change.

I guess the current "testing maps for the mapping contest that's going on" rotation has a bright side, if it makes Rami quit.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    This spy sounded like a train. It was loud and awesome.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Adus wrote: »
    Yeah. Like proposing in Portal 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8SdYz7cq04

Holy shit, that was incredibly touching.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    DeMoN wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote:
    Yeah. The update gives you all this new stuff! And you can't have it.

Wait, it gives us new stuff? I thought it just gave hats.

As far as I can see, the new stuff is hats and bug fixes. Which is nice, but I wouldn't exactly call it new. Also, does it annoy anyone else that an update will say it has "Promotional Items" but doesn't tell you what those items are?

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Tarnation! I hit quote instead of edit.... again...
    How do I delete this unnecessary and obtrusive post?

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    DeMoN wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote:
    Yeah. The update gives you all this new stuff! And you can't have it.

Wait, it gives us new stuff? I thought it just gave hats.

As far as I can see, the new stuff is hats and bug fixes. Which is nice, but I wouldn't exactly call it new. Also, does it annoy anyone else that an update will say it has "Promotional Items" but doesn't tell you what those items are?

Sometimes, yeah.

Although sometimes it's just because the promotion hasn't been announced yet, so they just want to get the stuff in the game files and let the partner announce it first.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Checked my Steam inventory for the first time in, well since it was added, and have a smattering of TF2 items left in there. I don't play TF2 anymore, and have no desire to. Some of these are tradeable, are they worth anything? Can you even trade TF2 items for non TF2 items stuff, like games or whatever?

Otherwise I'll just give em away.
    egcCH.jpg
    LYKja.jpg
    FMlMi.jpg
    07DZo.jpg

I mean, I can only assume their trade-ability was patched in because I cleared out all my TF2 items as soon as trading was put in, except ones which couldn't be traded. Not shown is the cheater's lament halo thing.

I took one look into the actual Steam trading forums and was frightened off by how mercantile it is. It reminds me of vanilla WoW in a way, so much shorthand and so much item swapping. I don't know what anything is worth, or how desirable they are, so I come back to the PA tuftoo thread for advice.

• Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Medal is the rare one in there. Worth something but Ive never traded anything for money or such things.

EDIT: By the way, you sent me Uncharted 1 right? Thanks again.

donhonk on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    I will trade you something for that medal. I don't know what, but we can figure it out.

• Options
    I've never actually traded any items, for anything. I stopped TF2 almost the day the trading thing landed and just gave stuff away when I was on one of the PA TF2 servers one night. I just wondered if there was some non-TF2 stuff I could wrangle for them. I have no idea how to even go about approaching this thing.

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Medals are worth serious real money, the value increasing the lower the attached number.

Spreadsheet says 20-25 keys for yours. Not sure how that turns into dollars but you should be able to get a mid-tier game at least.

EDIT: $2.49 a key in the store.

EDIT the 2nd: You can trade tf2 items for steam gift games directly using the steam trading interface.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I checked on the wider internets and for some reason that I don't understand the entire TF2 item economy seems to run on Earbuds.

Is the medal really worth fifty bucks?

e: there's no way i'd ask for fifty bucks from the pa forumers. i was hoping for maybe a dlc pack of something or something like that.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Buds is just a handy shorthand, and are easy to store/keep track of than hundreds of keys. The total number of buds is also fixed, so there are no concerns about depreciation.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    At the end of the day it's a tiny cosmetic item. You aren't going to seriously fulfil a forumer by selling one to him on the cheap so you might as well extract the max value from a randomer.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    Medals are worth serious real money, the value increasing the lower the attached number.

Spreadsheet says 20-25 keys for yours. Not sure how that turns into dollars but you should be able to get a mid-tier game at least.

EDIT: $2.49 a key in the store.

EDIT the 2nd: You can trade tf2 items for steam gift games directly using the steam trading interface.

Keys are more realistically going for about $1.50. If you're patient enough, you can get them as low as $1.35 apiece.

• Options
    Still $25+. Never really shopped for keys, I can't really work out why anyone buys them to trade in the first place, you'll never recoup the value without using them.

• Options
    Still $25+. Never really shopped for keys, I can't really work out why anyone buys them to trade in the first place, you'll never recoup the value without using them.

It's easier to manage; would you rather trade 6 keys, or 15 refined? And there will always be people wanting to open crates.

• Options
    So, what? Do I just put up a want-to-sell thread on the steam forums? As I said, I've literally never traded anything on Steam. I don't even know the mechanism for it.

Can you be traded games you already own so that I can trade it on? For example, could I get a second copy of the endless space alpha to gift to my flatmate?

• Options
    Not sure, never traded for anything worth real money. SUF is a good bet.

You're traded giftable copies, so you should be able to get a copy of something you already own.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    If you gave a shit about TF2 items, I'd suggest that you could feasably put it on TF2WH.com, which would happily give you a giant pile of 'credits' for it, which you could then buy stuff to your heart's content with (they have an absolutely massive stockpile of everything but the rarest of the rare.

If you're willing to go with paypal or a trade for games, you could try tf2outpost.com, which has a fairly robust community. Game/s would probably be the safest way to go if you took that route, no risk of a buyer trying to do a chargeback or anything.

Or you could just sell/trade it to a forumer. Even at $25+ that's a steal to anyone who cares (as a collector of rare things, I'm half tempted, but I don't even play much anymore, just idle for drops and put in some hardcore hours during events now and then, or when I'm invited in and have time to spare) about such things.

Here's a thought; there's a Summer Steam sale coming, right? If there was someone you trusted that expressed interest, you could wait for then and get the most in games out of it. $25 worth of games when all the games are like 1/2 off is a pretty fucking sweet deal.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    As someone who has traded 3 soldier medals in the past (sub 1000 numbered too), just be aware that they can often be a hard trade. You shouldn't have any trouble if you're just looking for $20 or $20 in games, but anything more than that is difficult. There are some great soldier misc items out there, and the medal isn't really prominently displayed. Most people who want one just want one in their backpack.

• Options
    I'm not greedy, I'm not going to haggle or go into some serious trading or anything. Like I said, a second endless space alpha copy would be all I'd ever want for it and that's twenty bucks. And I'm honour bound to offer it to the PA forums first, because it was a forumer (Pharezon) who called me up at three in the morning to get me to click a link to get it in the first place.

TF2 has gotten weird since I stopped playing. So much cool stuff has been added it looks like a completely different game.

• Options
    If you need help trading it, just let me know. I've traded two PAer's soldier medals before for them.

• Options
    I just need to know how it even works. I mean, what's the mechanism. Do I need to redownload TF2?

• Options
    No, you can trade through Steam interface these days.

I really wouldn't recommend going through the Steam forums.. it will unleash a horde of scammers on you.

What do you want for it? I'm sure there's several people (myself included) who would gift you a Steam game for it. Just name your price.

• Options
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    a second endless space alpha copy would be all I'd ever want for it and that's twenty bucks.

This discussion has been closed.